10 Naturals We Loved in the 90s

Avatar • Feb 24, 2014

It’s always great to take a trip down memory lane. We wanted to shed some light on the natural haired ladies of the 90s that kept us entertained.  Let’s face it. “In a 90s kind of world, we’re glad we’ve got our girls.” This is just a sample of the many women we saw rocking their hair natural. So here they are, in no particular order:

Amanda Seales

amanda seales my brother and me

Seales was a co-star on the 90s hit sitcom, My Brother & Me. Still waiting for a DVD release date from Nickelodeon but in the words of her character, Deonne, “Don’t hold your breath.” For now you can catch reruns on Teen Nick.

Cleopatra

cleopatra

Cleopatra comin’ atcha! This hot girl group was made up of three sisters who always appeared to have the freshest box braid set around. Definitely remember their appearances on shows like All That  back in the day.

Cree Summer

cree summer

Call her Freddie Brooks of the popular TV series and my personal favorite A Different World. Summer not only did a great job bringing to life the free boho spirit character to Hillman University, she also added diversity to Nickelodeon’s Rugrats as the voice of Suzy Carmichael.

Debbi Morgan

debbi morgan eves bayou

Debbi Morgan was the aunt in Eve’s Bayou that would you a run for your money. A class act alongside Lynn Whitfield, this beauty could command a scene.

Erica Alexander

erica alexander living single

Who doesn’t remember Attorney Maxine Shaw? Sharp as a tack and always providing comic relief especially with her love-hate for Kyle. Alexander made Living Single a party. “True blue and tight like glue.”

Lauryn Hill

lauryn-hill

Girls you know you better.…” Can’t think of a single person in the 90s that didn’t jam the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. “That Thing (Doo Wop)” was played at least 8 times a day on most radio stations in the 90s.

Rachel True

rachel true

Before she was Essence Atkin’s level-headed half-sister, Mona on Half and Half, True got plenty of screen time in films like The Craft and another cult classic, CB4. Straight out of Locash.

Melanie B.

scary spice

Some of the biggest hair in one of the biggest pop girl groups of all time. Brown made sure you remembered the fierceness that is Scary Spice.

T’Keyah Crystal Keymah

t'keyah crystal kemah

Before she was raising a psychic Raven Symone on That’s So Raven, Kemah held it down on Keenan Ivory Wayans In Living Color. *Cue the Fly girls dance break*

Karen Malina White

Macolm & Eddie

Yes, two Hillman alums made the list. White not only owned the yard at Hillman College on A Different World with Cree Summer, she also helped to hold down the Fifty/Fifty Club on Malcolm & Eddie.

Honorable Mentions: Jurnee Smollet, Lisa Nicole Carson, Tia and Tamera, Karyn Parsons, Brandy, Trina Mcgee, Erykah Badu. The list goes “on and on.”

We want to hear from you! Which naturals do you remember from the 90s?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

KP
KP

Wow! Brings back some good memories! Now that I think about it, I never thought of any of these women as “being natural” but solely as their characters. Interesting. Great entertainers!

Time for a Fly girl dance break!

Amma Mama

Wow, I didn’t know Amanda Seales was on “My Brother and Me” or that she was a child actress. I’ve always known her from this show she hosted on MTV2.Nice list and yes the list truly does go on and on for 90s naturals…lol

the_lovely_one
the_lovely_one

Who compiled this list because the fact that Rudy Huxtable(Keshia Knight Pulliam) is not on it is a crying shame. What about Lark Vorhies? Tia & Tamera, Tatyana Ali? But you put Amanda Seales as #1 from a short lived little watched Nickelodeon show? I also loved that Cleopatra song but…really? Can you say Random? LOL

Brianna Love
Brianna Love
Reply to  the_lovely_one

I loved Lark Voorhies on Saved by the Bell I watch it EVERYDAY ON E!

luvnM3napturally
luvnM3napturally
Reply to  the_lovely_one

Add Jasmine Guy to the list of others not on the list.

jasmines
jasmines
Reply to  the_lovely_one

why would Rudy Huxtable be on the list for 90’s naturals?? …

Motor Club of America
Motor Club of America
Reply to  jasmines

She had the ultimate natural hair that little girls wanted.

sb
sb

That’s what I am talking about, my friends and I have been natural since ’97 , people acting like the movement is brand new. 🙂

Does anyone , remember the book “Good Hair” by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner? before we had blogs, and youtube.…

sb
sb
Reply to  sb

And don’t forget Vanessa on the Cosby show!

T.
T.
Reply to  sb

I totally remember “Good Hair” (and there was a follow-up too, maybe about locs — I can’t recall exactly)! It gave instructions for wash-n-gos and twist-outs and braid-outs before those styles even really had names. It was a great book — I wish I still had my old copy, but I lent it to a friend and never got it back.

Alycia
Alycia
Reply to  sb

I think for the younger generation, this trend of natural hair is something “new” to us at least. Thinking back to when I was growing up, I don’t remember any of my African American friends having natural hair, and if they did, it was always straightened. Growing up, I don’t really remember seeing many girls or women with natural hair or the diversity of natural hair styles that I see today, at least not where I’m from. I do congratulate those who have been natural all their lives though. Wish I was one of them, but as I said, growing… Read more »

sb
sb
Reply to  Alycia

I am glad it has really caught on, and no shade to ‘new’ naturals at all. 🙂 Is just wanted to let young ones, know things don’t happen in a vacuum, and that the naturals of the preceding decades, are why we have the acceptance today.

LaNeshe

Cleopatra!

Deb
Deb
Reply to  LaNeshe

Coming atcha!

OH GOD I MISS THE 90’S SO MUCH
oh the crushing nostlagia

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella

Which makes me think, in the 90s we had so much diversity ( skin tones, looks, body shapes, hair etc…) when it comes to Black women, heck Black folks as a whole. What happened??????

It wasn’t uncommon at all to see loose natural of all texture, short hair, braids, locks etc.….. whether they were singers or actors or men or women.

I guess after Bey modeled her look from JLO, it was done, everyone started looking the same.

I miss the 90s!!!!!!!!!

Caray
Caray
Reply to  Nubiahbella

I was recently thinking the same thing. If you turn on the TV all the black women are weaved up with hair hanging over their breast!! I mean you dont even see sistas on TV with their own hair, weather its natural or relaxed!!

Tyler

Tia and Tamera?! Helloooo!

I miss the 90s though, there were so many more naturals on TV 🙂

Tyler

Brianna Love
Brianna Love

Brings back sooooo many memories! I’m 18 lol but i still love the 90 shows! Lark Voorhies on saved by the bell and Brandy from Moesha! 🙂

Trish
Trish

Chilli from TLC!!

Darlyn
Darlyn

Nice list! Looking at this list makes me wish that my mother didn’t relax my hair when I was a young girl in the 90s.

If I had written this list, I would have included Joie Lee (Spike Lee’s sister).

imani
imani

List was a little random… My list: *lisa nicole carson *she isn’t an honorable mention! She was my hair crush for the 6 seasons of ally mcbeal! That big hair was fierce!she made no apolgies standing next to those skinny anorexic blond chics.she owned it! *keisha knight pullium-her hair was big like mine at that age.totally loved her hair! *lark voorhies- great hair *cree summers-boho chic style *tracie spencer ‑that big hair was long & poofy & all hers! *lisa bonet *for a couple of seasons b4 the long fake weave took over!then she grew dreds and she’s back to being all natural & very cool!… Read more »

merry
merry

joie lee, spike lee’s sister, inspired me to go natural.

sb
sb
Reply to  merry

Ok, she was natural in the 80s 🙂

Pat
Pat

Vanessa from the Cosby show, she’s a fly natural still!!

Mill Biller
Mill Biller

Is Whoopi not natural?
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/eddie.jpg[/img]

Amber
Amber
Reply to  Mill Biller

Peeps be scurred to add Whoopi to any list, though she knocked down a heckuva lotta doors. NOBODY was doing dreds before Whoopi. Nobody.

Great list!

Liz
Liz

Cree Summer is so talented, she has voiced so many different shows! It’s always a pleasure to hear her voice (she’s an awesome singer too)–I’m glad people recognize her talent.

Shannon
Shannon

Erm what about Caron Wheeler- the lead singer from Soul II Soul!????

Zayne
Zayne

Now I have to go listen to some Lauryn Hill…

I was a HUGE Scary Spice fan though! (Still am…)

GoodIdeaAdia
GoodIdeaAdia

They really should have put Tia and Tamera on at #1. They even had an episode dedicated to natural hair and relaxers

Keshia
Keshia

What about Jalissa from A Different World? she rocked her TWA for a while and it was really cute. Patra’s braids were cute too I’m surprised she wasn’t on here.

Michelle
Michelle

Such memories..lol I have so much respect for the naturals then. I realize just how strong black women are

Dorian

I loved Debbie Morgan in Eve’s Bayou. I thought/think she looked so regal in that movie. And she still does. I often wondered if Maxine Shaw’s locs were real on Living Single. Either way, she definitely knew how to rock them. And Lauryn Hill’s locs still inspire me today. They are what I am hoping for when my hair gets to the right length.

Kelly
Kelly

Don’t forget Jill Scott who came out in ’99 and Erkyah Badu when she wasn’t wearing the tall gelee!

Zee
Zee

Kim Wayans
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/CAM002762.jpg[/img]

Tina Johnson
Tina Johnson
Reply to  Zee

Camille Cosby very sophisticated

Mika
Mika

I used to love the guys hair in Bone Thugs. As for ladies, Lisa Bonet and Holly Robinson.

Lyn G Kemp
Lyn G Kemp

Lisa Bonet and Tempest Bledsoe are two that should’ve made the list as well

Motor Club of America
Motor Club of America
Reply to  Lyn G Kemp

Yes, and Keisha Knight Pulliam

Peachez Conner
Peachez Conner

Aaliyah(R.I.P)should’ve atleast been #1 on the list or the honorable mentions ???