Sister, Sister! Tamera Mowry Does the Big Chop!

Avatar • Jan 14, 2014

TameraBigChopShaiaSalon (1)

Co-Host of the new hit daytime, talk show, The Real and former co-star of the 90s hit sitcom, Sister, Sister Tamera Mowry-Housely has gone and big chopped!

The actress tweeted a photo late Sunday evening of remnants of her hair on the salon floor.

TameraShaiaSalon (2)

Tamera’s twin sister, Tia big chopped in late 2012.

Just for kicks, here’s a throwback photo of the two from their hit show, Sister, Sister

What do you think of her new look?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

gapch

love them. tamera has been talking about transitioning for a while. Tia never “big chopped.” Just got a hair cut. She stated her self that after having Cree she just wanted to do something different. Regardless love them and support of all their endeavors.

DLB
DLB
Reply to  gapch

Tia did do a big chop & displayed pictures to show just as Tamera.

Reply to  DLB

tia got a hair cut. the blogs misrepresented it as a “big chop” she never claimed that. she did however state that she cut her hair (got a hair cut) as she wanted a change. she never stated that she was big chopping.

everyone woman of color who goes short or gets a drastic reduction in length is not “big chopping” some are just cutting their hair.…

YU Mad???
YU Mad???
Reply to  gapch

I always thought that big chopping was to cut off of chemically treated hair and leave natural roots, AND WHATEVER LENGTH YOU GET AFTER DONE ??!! SO maybe she did a big chop AFTER long transition

Bobbe
Reply to  gapch

Heck of a job there, it ablstuleoy helps me out.

love @shaiamel.…

he is the biggest proponent of embracing shrinkage and letting your hair do what it do without a ton of manipulation regardless of hair type.… He is pro self acceptance and embracing the hair that one is born with love him — he loves an unaltered fro

Reply to  gapch

as shown on the photo @shaiamel did tamera’s hair

Zenith
Zenith
Reply to  gapch

Totally agree. I had the pleasure of having my hair cut by him a couple years ago. He gave me a consultation prior to ‘laying hands on’ and listened intently to my concerns/hopes/ wishes for my hair. He was patient and kind during the hair cut. He is extremely experienced in cutting and styling textured hair. Would go back in a heart beat.

Tabatha
Tabatha

Her hair is gorgeous, but I would hardly call that a BC. But I LOVE TIA & TAMARA. amazing WOMEN.

Reply to  Tabatha

its a big chop. she said it herself. one doesnt have to go down to half an inch of hair for it to be a big chop.

Micziz
Reply to  Tabatha

I absolutely love the mecnlaholy of this comic and how it goes farcical in the last panel. It’s just wonderfully bittersweet.On an unrelated note, I also love clicking on each panel to see the high-res version of your artwork. So much more to appreciate when it’s full size.Kudos to you, Mr Thompson. And a very merry Christmas to you and yours.-brian

Cheryl
Cheryl

I agree with gapch…it doesn’t mean you are practically bald to be considered big chopped. It’s a drastic change for her and she should be supported and applauded. Whose the hater that keeps thumbs downing all the comments?! Sheesh!

Valerie
Valerie
Reply to  Cheryl

Lol

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Cheryl

Yea I was wondering the same thing in regards to who it is that keeps thumbing down comments. I feel if there is something you don’t like about a comment, say something so people know what the problem is instead of just thumbing dumb.

Noor
Reply to  Stace

SO true, I smiled rediang this! As corny as it sounds, after having my son years ago, I remember actually feeling like I was going to explode from all of the love I felt for my son. I felt absolutely obsessed with him- for the longest we were inseparable. I took him everywhere and barely let anyone babysit even my mom and sister!! It’s like it was me and him against the world..children are such blessings..he’s a teenager now so thanks for the happy reminder Tia!!

SuzyQ
SuzyQ

Just saw them on Ophea OWN channel ! I love these women. I hated seeing her in tears though. Negative people attacking her interracial marriage. All that matters is that she’s happy forget all those evil folks.

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  SuzyQ

Yes and it’s silly for them to attack her. Do people not realize that she is biracial herself?

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Jasmine

Exactly, how come it is that she Tamara is the only one considered to be in an interracial marriage when tech. so is Tia ? It’s so ridiculous.

Reply to  Stace

they consider themselves to be Black women which is why Tia doesnt feel like she is in an interracial marriage and tamera does. they’ve spoken on it a few times.

Amma Mama
Reply to  SuzyQ

I know I hated seeing Tamera cry. It had me tearing up. She is beautiful inside and out. I love her BC.

glory b
glory b
Reply to  SuzyQ

Most people aren’t mad ’cause she married a white guy, I think she’s being disingenuous about that. People are mad because she married a white guy who works at FOX News and while on the air, he says some pretty nasty things about black people!! Those tears don’t bother me as much. He was denigrating black people before she married him, what did she think we would think?
And yeah, I’m late to the party here, but I just wanted you guys to realize this.

Jacky
Jacky

She looks Great! I also see her haircut as a big chop because her curls look healthier,shinier and more defined after the cut.I see a big chop as the process of cutting off damaged or chemically processed hair,whether it’s been dyed,permed,etc…,in order to have healthier hair.

Marta Daniels

It looks great! It’s a big chop if that was the rest of her relaxed ends. She was probably cutting them slowly for quite awhile.

Lucas
Reply to  Marta Daniels

Another great strip again today.Petey strikes me as the kind of kid who would stop in the mildde of opening presents because he spots a piece of tape on a package that contains a fingerprint. He needs to carefully remove it and add it to his collection of Elf evidence.

Justine

she looks great! (:
but whats up with them contacts? o.O

Jacqueline
Jacqueline
Reply to  Justine

I don’t think those are contacts. Here is a pic of her eyes when they were on Sister, Sister http://ztams.com/wp-content/uploads/090609eBay044.jpg

CurlsForTheGirls
CurlsForTheGirls
Reply to  Justine

You’re a hater Justine.

Jasmine
Jasmine

Hmm, maybe I’m confused about what a big chop is.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Jasmine

My perspective: At its highest level, a Big Chop (BC) is exactly what it says it is: It’s taking off a lot of hair at once. Whether you’re going from long to short or short to almost nothing, the point is that you are losing a significant amount of hair in a matter of minutes. Per this definition, all kinds of folks with all kinds of textures BC all the time, every day, around the world. Training the focus (very tightly!) onto black women who have relaxed hair and who want to return to natural hair: There are two ways to… Read more »

Reply to  Jasmine

the purpose of the cut differentiates a big chop from a regular old hair cut. the amount of hair cut isnt the primary factory in determining if some one is “big chopping.” typically people with unhealthy hair (damaged) or relaxed hair (damaged or healthy) will “big chop” — cut off their hair to start over and begin a “healthy” or “natural” hair journey. a hair cut is just cutting off ones hair because he or she wants shorter hair. its a preference with no deeper reasoning behind it.… many people just get hair cut to change it up not because… Read more »

the gypsy life
the gypsy life
Reply to  Jasmine

Big chopping is usually when a black women is cutting off her relaxed hair all at once. And is left w/ her natural texture. I don’t agree that big chopping is for ANYONE that cuts off a large portion of their hair @ one time. It’s about chopping relaxed hair off.

Joy
Joy

Her hair looks a lot more healthier after her BC!

Sequitta
Sequitta

She didn’t big chop…she was already natural…she just got a haircut! LOL! It is cute though!

Jacqueline
Jacqueline
Reply to  Sequitta

Yeah, I wasn’t sure either. I know in 2011 she was growing out damage from years of blow-outs and a BKT. She then ombre’d her ends post-baby. I checked her instagram and I believe this is the current damage she was growing out:

Her transition style two weeks ago:

nappy headed black girl

I’m all for healthy hair. Kudos to her for taking the leap to get her hair in tip-top shape.

How much did she chop? I don’t see that much of a difference in length.

Maria V.

No shade…I don’t see any difference in the texture. Maybe something is wrong with my screen.

trackback

[…] anything different? Well it looks like Tamera has gone a bit shorter since we last saw her big chop in January. Do you think she cut it or could it be shrinkage putting in […]

trackback