Are Sisterlocks Worth the Hefty Price Tag?

Avatar • Nov 24, 2013

SONY DSC

Style Icon Tynette

by Kiianah of Rockin’ it Napptural

Sisterlocks, created by Dr. JoAnne Cornwell, are an increasingly popular new-age spin on the traditional hair locking methods. Traditional locks tend to vary from medium to large. Sisterlocks are very tiny and uniform, taking 24 hours or more to install.

Sisterlocks is a trademark company, so no one can use the name in advertising, or install the style without being trained by a certified associate of the Sisterlocks company.

To make the cost more feasible, consultants offer the installation in a three visit package; the initial consultation, the locking session and the follow-up appointment.

I’ll admit, sisterlocks are beautiful and extremely versatile due to their small size. I can already think of a hundred and one styles I could create with them. They can potentially last a lifetime, and I’d never have to go to the salon again for a style that only lasts a week or so. Plus, sisterlocks have much less weight than traditional locks.

SONY DSC

Style Icon Tynette

But I do question if the price is really worth it. Installations cost anywhere from $500 to $800, and re-twisting sessions typically cost $100.

Here is a sample (low end) price list from yournaturalimage.com;

Sisterlocks Package ‑Hair up to 4 Inches.….….….….….….…..$485.00
Sisterlocks Package ‑Hair 5–6 Inches.….….….….….….….…..$585.00
Sisterlocks Package ‑Hair 7–8 Inches.….….….….….….….…..$685.00
Sisterlocks Package ‑Hair over 9 Inches.….….….….….….……$100.00 per inch

The cost of installing and maintaining sisterlocks can really hurt the pockets, and an additional $1000 per year bill may not be feasible for some. For others however, sisterlocks could be a wise investment. Not only do you enjoy the journey of wearing locked hair, but you also enjoy the freedom of being able to create numerous different hair styles with your sisterlocks. It all depends on what works best for your lifestyle.

Ladies, are sisterlocks a style you would consider? Why or why not?

Kiianah is the creator of Rockin’ it Napptural, a vibrant natural hair, beauty and lifestyle blog which focuses on a simple approach to achieving healthy hair, skin and health. A natural-born writer with a glowing personality, she has a huge heart for rescue animals, big earrings and an obsession with dark chocolate.

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

Kris
Kris

No…it would be a waste of my money lol. I could get a weave for cheaper.

TeaJae
TeaJae

I’m considering them and did some research on them as a method to keep my hands out my hair. I have to detangle sometimes twice a day my coils easily lock. I had two strand twist in for 3 weeks and more than have of them locked up and had to be snipped to come undone. I find that the constant manipulation causes my hair to break off. It needs to be still for a while, let it do its own thing.I used to do micro braids for years however the removal process broke off all the new growth. I’m… Read more »

Mells29
Mells29
Reply to  TeaJae

TeaJae,

Have you thought about doing individual braids with your own natural hair? You can curl them, let the curls drop and do a braid out.

TeaJae
TeaJae
Reply to  Mells29

ohhh no I had not thought about that Mells29 never dawned on me thank you for your suggestion. 🙂

Angela W
Angela W
Reply to  TeaJae

TeaJae: I feel you pain; when I would wear my hair out it would tangle easily & once I left medium-sized two-strand twists in for almost a month & when I tried to take them out they wouldn’t come out(they were “locked”); I put tons of oil & conditioner on them & it took a couple of days & a lot a patience to finally get them out. Unfortunately, this is part of the learning process when it comes to natural hair. I found the right products to keep my hair moisturized & now my hair doesn’t get all tangled… Read more »

Mells29
Mells29

They are beautiful but the price is holding me back from getting them. It takes a lot of time to install so the price is going to be high. I would have to cut my hair down to 4 inches for a lower price lol! Sisterlocks are beautiful though.

momofIV
momofIV

They look cute..but I don’t see where they are much different from other braid hairstyles, minus the hefty monthly pricetag. Do it yourself and save a few dollars.

MsKat
MsKat

I love them and if my wallet permitted I might consider getting them. HOWEVER, shop around: There are others out there who do the same technique, although they cannot call it sisterlocks due to the name being trademarked. Just like with anything else, if you are interested, DO YOUR RESEARCH on the person you are considering, and since it is such a labor intensive permanent style, ask to see, examine, and speak to some of the person’s customers. Or if you are inclined, take the class, then get the sisterlocks; then you can maintain your own with the added benefit… Read more »

TWA4now
TWA4now

Nice but not at that price.

twinz
twinz

Once I reach my waist length I was considering locking with these locks. Hopefully in 8–10yrs I can afford those prices

Lynne
Lynne

they are not worth it and you can achieve the same results by doing a micro braid of your own hair and it will look the same once its locked. I do not recommend these and as a matter of a fact am taking mine out. I dont like not have total control of styling my own hair. With sisterlocs, you have to go to a certified sl tech. Thats not a problem if you have at least a hundred dollars per visit and 3 to 6 hours every month to sit in a chair.

Angela W
Angela W

Zelphia
Zelphia

Nope.…too expensive and fragile.

Karen
Karen

I think it’s a crime that they cost so much. They don’t have to and I’m pretty sure you can get the same results by using familiar locing techniques and less hair per loc to get the same “sister loc“look.

Pat
Pat

No way it costs way too much and I like to wear my hair loose plus I do my own hair.

Laura Truesdale
Laura Truesdale

Maybe it’s expensive because it’s in high demand and fairly new. No way I’ll pay up to $700 though…but it would look cute tho ^___^

Glo G.
Glo G.

Sisterlocks are not new. They have been around for YEARS. And I do mean YEARS. Since the early 90s in fact. Prices to get them “installed” and to get SL certified are still sky high.

Maryann
Maryann

I have them! I think it depends on who you are. I am someone who hates fussing with my hair, yet I still want my hair to look good. Also, I have seborrheic dermatitis so I need to wash my hair as often as want to. Sisterlocks gives me the freedom to not fuss with my hair, wash when I want, and very easy to style. I am fortune to able to afford the cost, so for me they are SOOO worth it!! But there are many other options for locks similar to sisterlocks without having to pay…

Candi B.
Candi B.
Reply to  Maryann

Maryann I would love to hear an update about your journey… I had my first consultation today! I really want them but I have dermatitis also and It has been something that often prevents me from getting certain styles, but my thought on the sisterlocks is that I could probably clean my scalp as much as needed because they are so small.… but I’m hesitant. How has your scalp done, and have you found any products that help your dermatitis? Thanks!

nappy headed black girl

I’m with Maryann on this one. It really depends on the person. It’s an investment, just like buying a $500 purse or a $50,000 car. I think it’s a viable option for those who can afford it. You’re paying for the convenience and the expertise. All Sisterlock consultants are trained.

Would I get them? No, but only because I like a more non-mainstream look.

Tee
Tee

I think that they are beautiful but the cost is high and the time it would take for maintenance is not worth it. Just thinking about sitting there getting all those teeny tiny Sister locs retwisted. Ughh, it probably takes hours. No thank you!

Jesse
Jesse

The look is gorgeous. I considered getting sisterlocks a few years ago. The price was too much though. I can maintain and grow my loose natural hair with pocket change compared to sister lock maintenance. However, if you want the look and got the cash it seems like a nice way to loc the hair. However, I wonder what is so special about sisterlocks and how are they different from other types of locks? I know they supposedly twist the hair in a different way, but does that make the lock better? Are sisterlocks stable and better than other types… Read more »

LBell
LBell

Sisterlocks have been around for at least 10 years. I know this because my sister has had them for at least that long. She BC’d about the same time I did, and after going back and forth between natural, relaxed, and braid extension styles, she finally got SLs installed at a fraction of the price (she was her stylist’s first client). From her perspective, SLs offer the best of all those worlds. They are definitely an investment — at one point she had to drive two hours to the nearest SL consultant — but she still has them to this… Read more »

Asana

Considered getting them after I get tired of rocking this short hair, but the price knocked me out lol. So… Im going to continue shaving my hair in different styles lol but I can’t deny how beautiful it looks!

whatshetaughther.blogspot.com

Love JAH
Love JAH

I want them. I’m making the investment to get certified to learn the technique. I can then install my own as well as maintain them while providing the service to other naturalistas. You get what you pay for, they style takes hours to install therefore, the price reflects the effort and time needed to complete the look

Jamila
Jamila

I have sister locks and i paid half the twice shown here to get my hair done. Sorry these prices are outrageous!

LiberianStrong
LiberianStrong
Reply to  Jamila

In 2009 I paid $500 for my install in Chicago. When I moved back to Washington D.C. in mid 2013 and went hunting for a new consultant I found that the prices in this article are the same or very close to the prices listed on many websites and the prices given to me over the phone. I almost choked when a consultant based in Baltimore thought I was calling about an install and told me “$600-$1000 depending on the length of your hair”.

Sola Gbadebo
Sola Gbadebo
Reply to  LiberianStrong

Where did you get yours installed in Chicago?!?

Sjamie
Sjamie

Uhh not for me. My cousins hair grew long with the sister locks…unfortunately for her she developed traction alopecia from the weight of the hair or the twisting method. Of course the technician said she wasn’t doing them tight..but over the course of a few years you can see her scalp recede. This happens with dred locks too.

Laketra Miles
Laketra Miles

I’ve been going natural for 11months and love the way Sistas-locks look and would like to get more info on them on whether this may be aHeathy option for my hair!!! Thanks

bianca
Reply to  Laketra Miles

Sisterlocks are great and very healthy! I have worn mine for 4years and my consultant has had her for 14 years! Contact me if you have questions bees.beauty@hotmail.com

Amina
Amina
Reply to  Laketra Miles

How do you “go natural?” Do you mean you are returning to or going back to wearing your hair the way it naturally grows out of your scalp?

Tiff
Tiff
Reply to  Amina

Lol. Cut it out, you know very well what she meant.

LiberianStrong
LiberianStrong
Reply to  Amina

Really, Amina? You’ve come to BGLH to discuss semantics?

Toy
Toy

I got them 22 months ago and they are the best hair decision I have ever made, my hair is so easy and exactly perfect for my lifestyle as a mum of 2 who really wanted something hot but easy to manage. Now about the cost, it took me 2 years to decide to get them because no way i was going to pay $700 so here’s what i did — I found a loctician who was relatively new (she had only done about 10 installs), I also cut off my perm so my hair was short and ready —… Read more »

CherishBomb

I’ve considered locs of all sizes at various times in my life, but I ultimately always decide against them due to maintenance costs and time. In my opinion, Sisterlocks costs wayyyyy too much! 100/in?! C’mon! My hair is MBL. That’s too much damn money. From a business perpective, I understand that it eats up an entire day or a good portion of it to install, but by the same token, locking your own hair in this fashion costs as much as weave installation. I don’t know about anyone else, but I do not have an extra $600 — 1,400 to… Read more »

Sandi
Sandi

So, I crunched the numbers.… When I had a relaxer, I paid $80 every 6 weeks for a retouch, then went every-two weeks for wash and style. at $40 min. that was three and a half years ago with a family stylist so I got discounts. When you compare that cost to the one presented here for a style. It is comparable in fact just about the same… We didn’t talk about the time in the chair or the damage the relaxers have been proven to cause our bodies. Sometimes, I think we can talk ourselves out of something better… Read more »

Ruru
Ruru
Reply to  Sandi

I think it depends. I stretched my relaxers out to about 3 months and would get my hair washed and styled at about the same rate but I mostly did that at home so the price in my eyes us still not comparable.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

I think sister locks are absolutely gorgeous! However, I know me, and as a 2 year natural, I absolutely love the versatility of being able to wear a braid out, bun, or mini-twist, ect, therfore I would not loc my hair permanently.

Sopleased
Sopleased
Reply to  Caramelcurls

Um. Guess what? Because they are Sistelocks you can do braid outs, buns, mini twists, ect. You can do Bantu knots, rollers sets, two strand twists. Flat iron (only if you really, really wanted to). Use a curling iron. Up-dos. Cornrows. Flat twists, French braids. Pretty much limited by your imagination. I would not recommend a brush or fine toothed comb.

Renea
Renea

Your analysis leaves some important points out and makes some mis-statements as well. The cost of installation varies across markets- depending on the availability of consultants- but it is a one-time investment that is comparable to the cost people invest in other styles like buying additional hair for braids and weaves. That is, the range of expense is one that many don’t bat an eyelash at when applied to other options. The idea of investing more at the outset for an install is what is new to some people. But an installation is a one-time cost. Following that, the locks… Read more »

Sopleased
Sopleased
Reply to  Renea

Renea, exactly. The article did leave out that you can learn to retighten your own. Never see a consultant again unless you want to. Not only that, the article did mentioned 24 hours of installation. It does not always take 24 hours, but the work is intense. Prices are different all over the country.

Dora Brown
Dora Brown

It is obvious that our women prefer to have“bought hair” rather than natural hair. Try adding up the frequent costs of these hair you would find it far outweighs the price of sisterlocks. Also do we know what these fibers are made from? Is it good for our hair/scalp? Though they may smell good have you tried washing the extension hair? You would be pleasantly surprised!!

Briana Hicks
Briana Hicks
Reply to  Dora Brown

Sisterlocks ARE natural hair- they don’t use added fibers/extensions, just your natural hair.

Jacorijaszz
Jacorijaszz

First, she did not create/invent the technique…only the tool to do it easier. Interlocking has been around since the beginning of time. Second, I have no idea where that pricing comes from, but that is not what I paid or anyone I know. Just like anything else — there are those that will overcharge. My maintenance is every 8–10 weeks @ $80.00. When I had a perm I paid almost that every 2–3 weeks. When I had braids I would drop $200 every 3 months and go and get my scalp cleaned every 2 weeks for $25.00. With traditional locks… Read more »

Teetee
Teetee
Reply to  Jacorijaszz

Well she trademarked it which means if anyone uses the name she had the power to sue so don’t tell on nobody lol

MsKat
MsKat
Reply to  Teetee

She’s actually sued before, but she lost-Google the Nappylocks case for more info.

Chelsea
Chelsea

My roommate got sisterlocks and learned how to make them work on a college budget. Like other posters mentioned, she cut off her relaxed hair and got the sisterlocks started by a professional. Because our school is in the middle of no where even if she wanted to continue going to a professional she couldn’t, so she taught me and my other roommates how to retwist it with a latch hook. Honestly, I think this is better than getting it professionally done since she can always touch up the new growth in front for special occasions.

D.D.
D.D.

If you can do your own hair. This is why I learned to do my own hair a long time ago most styles are to expensive and natural styles of all kinds or way to expensive for something I can do for free. Price vary buy area and the stylist but I will take free and done just as well over paying all that money any day. I have started locs of all sizes and re twisted mostly on friends when I was in school. It is easy to learn if you really want to.

Jen
Jen

My friend has sister locks and paid about $600–700 for hers. I have always wanted them just to see how I would like them (if not Id join them for nubian locs) but these prices are outrageous. My hair is about 10–12 inches and even my friend warned me that it would cost me about $1000. Yikes. That price is just way too steep.

Beth
Beth
Reply to  Jen

Jen, I would urge you to reconsider, at least until you exhaust all your options. In 2011, I was in the same boat as you. I had 11 inches of natural hair, and I knew I wanted sisterlocks, but the price tag scared me. I assumed it would be astronomical, so I kept putting it off to save more. Imagine my surprise when I learned there was a new trainee nearby who was offering a special–$600 flat rate. Granted, it took 40 hours total over the course of a week, but once the install was done, I was all set.… Read more »

CherishBomb
Reply to  Beth

That’s a good point. Learning how to retouch your own hair will save you money overall and looking for students still training is always cost effective with any service.

bianca

I LOVE MY SISTERLOCKS! So as a hairstylist I never pay to get my hair done I either did it myself or a fellow stylist would hook me up, when I decided to get locs I knew traditional locs were not for me as I didn’t want thick locs that would be heavy from product build up. As I researched other options I found Sisterlocks and after a counsulation was told $500 to install. I walked away and 2yrs later went back and this time I went through with it and paid $600! The only thing I regret is not… Read more »

Tonya
Tonya

I had 12–15 inches of hair at install and paid no where near 1000. My retightenings are on $60 every 8 weeks. These prices are a bit high IMO but I suppose It depends on your location.

Michelle
Michelle

I have to admit that they are beautiful..that price list is outrageous.

Jehovanie
Jehovanie

I am a sophomore in college and I got my sisterlocks a week before I started college. So I have had them for about a year and three months. It is worth it ! My lovely loctitian gives me a college student discount so I pay around $75–100 for retightentings and I paid around $450–500 for my installation. I had intended on getting regular locks but because I have such a sensitive hairline I decided against it because all the gel and tension would not be good for the hairline. With sisterlocks there is no gel required or needed, there… Read more »

Sopleased
Sopleased
Reply to  Jehovanie

Learn as soon as you can so you can save some money. See your consultant occasionally after that just to make sure all is ok.

Elle
Elle

Cost is relative. For some, paying $700+ for hair and maintenance is not a hefty price tag. And the market for sisterlocs, as well as deals with technicians, varies.

Also — flat irons, curl creams and phony pony extensions marketed as “human hair” which are really a mix of animal, artificial and random human hair can be just as costly. Just as some budget for a computer, pet food and parking space, some can budget for the price of sisterlocs in their respective markets. I’ve always thought they were beautiful, but never wanted the commitment locs require.

Monica
Monica

I wore sisterlocks for 6 years. My hair was near waist length. The price was well worth it to me. On top of retightening expenses, I also had to drive 2.5 hours to my consultant’s shop; as no one in my immediate area was qualified as a SL consultant. I want to mention that the cost of retightening can be reduced if the person decides (after 6 months) to take the retightening class, and hence, do their own retightening. I took the class; however, decided it would be easier and less harmful on my wrists (I have carpal tunnel) if… Read more »

Bee
Bee

I believe it depends on what people are willing to invest in their hair. If you think the style is worth it, then you will do it. No matter what it is, perm, weave, extensions, twists, traditional locs and sisterlocks. I am a sisterlock consultant and I charge according to hair length. I also offer discounts to older women and college/high school students. I offer specials and promotions as well. But just like we would drop a chunk of change on Mac makeup, Coach bags or any other fancy name brand because we believe it is worth the investment, the… Read more »

Cam
Cam

I had sisterlocks for 6 years almost 7. One thing that I noticed was that I was starting to suffer from tension alopecia. I saw it around my edges and in the crown…before I cut my hair off this year, I started researching to see if others were experiencing similar things with their hair…the longer the hair gets it tends to pull at the root..meaning the lock is to heavy for the root to support it..also I think the tension or interlocking method on thin locks can be a disaster long term.…hence I cut my hair and its is thriving…… Read more »

LiberianStrong
LiberianStrong
Reply to  Cam

After I took my traditional locks down I got Sisterlocks with about 6 inches of hair. I paid $500, but that was in 2009. I loved my sisterlocks, but I noticed that they were always much drier and my hair grew slower than when I had my traditional locks. I big chopped 6 months ago, just to experience my loose natural hair (I was locked for almost 10 years) and I also noticed that my edges had gotten quite thin (tension alopecia). They were beautiful, but I’m so glad I cut my Sisterlocks off when I did.

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  Cam

I had traditional locs for 13 years and LOVED them. They were less costly than Sisterlocs, neat, flattering, and versatile. But I palm-rolled my locs dry in the front too often so that they would always look “just so” and I let them grow to my tailbone. Sadly, I had to cut them all off because when I would bow my head I could see a quarter sized to half dollar sized bald spot at the top of my scalp. I was afraid of looking like Stevie Wonder, bless his heart. People were so attached to my hair and the image… Read more »

Numonesweethrt
Numonesweethrt

What scares me more about this black girl “hair thang” is that most of us have no problem with thinking our hair must be “bone straight”. I know my idea of this type of hair came from my mother when I used to get that “press and curl” (some of you grew up on perm). Many older women once thought that our “bad hair” needed to be “tamed” and so many of them still do not support natural hair today. So many women young and old feel that they can not get a man with that “nappy stuff”. I have… Read more »

Aya
Aya
Reply to  Numonesweethrt

I so agree. I been on and off natural for two years. Now its been almost one year. My mom has never permed her hair to my knowledge. She was always in my ear about being natural. I wasnt trying to hear that. As i gotting older. I got a little wiser and i was tired of looking like the girl next door. I never wore any weaves of the sort. Just permed hair. I always like my hair pretty big and full. After wearing braids for a period of time. I started to appreciate and love my natural hair.… Read more »

Kim
Kim

I’m a loctician. I have worn my hair permed, natural, weaved, braided and locked. I agree that heavy locks can cause strain on the roots and one would be wise to trim when this begins to happen. Additionally, do not over tighten. Overtightening has the same effect as braiding your hair too tight. Ask your loctician to go easy on your edges and trim your Sisterlocks™ when you feel they are too heavy. Because they are thin (as mentioned by the writer, they are less heavy, but everyone has a different hair texture and can handle more or less weight.… Read more »

Cherished131
Cherished131
Reply to  Kim

@Kim~ Whoopi’s locs’ are traditional weaved locs and the bluntness comes from how they are done at the end. Traditional locs’ can be trimmed in very beautiful styles as well. If you haven’t seen the best of the best. Look up Thierry Baptiste. He cuts locs’ in all sorts of styles. I have trimmed by traditional loc’ edges just to be safe and keep my edges healthy. I wanted Sisterlocs but couldn’t afford them. I had the smallest size traditional locs I could get and maintain by retwistings and light trims. Supporting any loctician is one of the best ways… Read more »

tristan
tristan

how can you trademark a hairstyle? the name i understand but i am not understanding the former…

EsotericOne
EsotericOne
Reply to  tristan

The Sisterlocks hair style is not trademarked, only the name is. Cornwell got her technique from the Hamer people of Africa who have locked their hair in the same way for thousands of years. If you search the United States Trademark Database, you will find only the name is trademarked, and not the tool nor the technique of crocheting the hair. Cornwell did not create a one of a kind technique, and that’s why she was unable to trademark it!! The proof is out there. If it were trademarked, they would not turn Sisterlocks clients away from the mirror during… Read more »

Liza

You can trademark a hairstyle when you spend years researching hair type, texture and health before it’s a trend (early 90’s). You can trademark a hairstyle when you learn how to lock any hair texture into what the wearer wants it to become. Or when you have done enough time/research to learn how to help women with alopecia (the sis who had alopecia should’ve went called the home office for help) when you know how to create a different locking pattern for each of the different hair types on one head and you tailor your installation to the various types.… Read more »

LiberianStrong
LiberianStrong
Reply to  Liza

I can see you are very passionate about this. I also admire Miss Cornwell for her dedication and creativity, but she did not create the method that is trademarked as “Sisterlocks”. In the vein of taking an old idea and making it better; she did that and she did it well. However, she did not improve the existing interlocking method on her own either. This was done with a small group of women, including Amazon Smiley. Miss Cornwell-fortunately for her and unfortunately for the others- was the much better business woman. Just some little talked about Sisterlocks history. I loved… Read more »

Liza
Reply to  LiberianStrong

This is absolutely untrue. she experimented with her own head while it was braided and she tried many different methods because she knew how to sew, crochet and style hair as a young woman. She experimented on her head, her sister’s hair and her brother’s before it even got out the bag. Other’s asked her about her hair before she considered even sharing it with them. It’s all in black and white, some hearsay or some word of mouth you heard through the grapevine is not evidence enough to completely discredit someones work. I get we’re all discussing this topic… Read more »

EsotericOne
EsotericOne
Reply to  Liza

But the actual technique is NOT trademarked. Only the name. Do a search of the US Trademark Database, and you will find only the NAME “Sisterlocks” is trademarked, and not the technique. Not sure about that tool they use, but either way, all Cornwell did was copy the Hamer people of Africa and how they install their locs. I opted for microlocs using Microbraids because I wasn’t paying $1500 for install being that my hair is darn near waist length. I interlock the roots myself. I paid $50 for my microbraids (technically they are Braidlocs) when salons would charge $400… Read more »

Hansy
Hansy

In all honesty, I don’t have locs, neither I am planning on getting them but I rather spend $400 to $500 in something that will go into the pockets of our own community, than buying expensive Michael Kors and Louis Vuittons. I’ve seen a lot of black women complaining about how expensive a procedure is at their local salons while wearing expensive shoes and handbags. I am not trying to judge anybody but please think about it.

Salama Afro Ladies Salon
Reply to  Hansy

Preach my sister preach! They walk into the salon with designer bags and shoes and start haggling over hair prices. The mentality is just because it’s back then should be cheap. Respect to all willing to pay the price for professional service irrespective of who is rendering it.

AGrlCanMAC

I think locs are so pretty and I love Sisterlocs too. Over the years, I’ve toyed around with idea of getting locs. Since I have fine hair strands, and at one point, I was considering Sisterlocks but to this day, I still cannot afford them. I feel like why balk at the price? If you have the money and can do it, do it. If you don’t have the money for that, then don’t. Everyone’s priorities are different and I say, if you can afford the installation and maintenance of Sisterlocks, then get them. It’s unfair to push your idea… Read more »

alt-K
alt-K

I couldn’t afford the price of sisterlocks, so almost 4 years ago I opted for the smallest traditional locs using the sisterlock technique. My locs are so small that the installation was spread out over two 9–10 hour days. I like my hair and receive many compliments. Some people mistake them for sisterlocks, so I think there are definitely cheaper options out there.

CommonSense
CommonSense

I hate to say this, but I am not a fan of Sisterlocks, because they don’t look like hair, they look like yarn. I would much prefer the original locs, they look better and not so fragile.

Shamayam
Shamayam

I have Sisterlocks. I have had them now for 5 years. My hair has never been healthier and it grows like a weed. My hair usually takes a very long time to grow; I have to keep my hands out of it. Now after all these years, my hair is between my should blades. My locks cost only $300 to install. I would pay $100-$150 every 6 weeks to get them re-tightened. But once they were locked (took about 8 months) I took the tightening class for $250 and that’s the last time since 2009 I’ve had to pay money… Read more »

Angel
Angel

I’ve been natural for a year and one month now and i just discovered these and i fell IN LOVE with them. Something about them are just so amazing omg lol So in about another 4–6 years i’m going to get them done. The price does not bother me considering the fact that i know how to retighten sister locks/locs in general myself already. I’d only need them installed. But i can NOT wait to get these.

MrsQuannaB

I love my sisterlocks. The first year costs are pretty hefty because it includes the installation. However, for years 2 and beyond, I find that it is quite comparable to what I’ve paid in the past to maintain a relaxer. Opting for sisterlocks, of course, is a personal choice. It was may choice because I wanted manageability, versaility, and freedom. Sure, most women can get that with their natural hair but I just couldn’t fathom investing money and time into a hairstyle, just to walk outside and poof… those twists, curls or whatever are gone (this was the case for… Read more »

Monica
Monica

Investment? How do sisterlocks generate money for you?

YOLANDA
YOLANDA
Reply to  Monica

I agreee. People make statements about investing in hair or products but I don’t see how something superficial ‑that doesn’t earn dividends or some tangible reward- is an investment. I enjoy my hair, I enjoy buying & trying new hair products. But everything is done in moderation. I wanted puffy twists & was quoted a price of $175. I see that as a waste of $$ when i’ll be bored with it after 2 weeks.

Tabatha
Tabatha

No I am sorry that is too much money! Its a personal choice so I’m not doffing anyone who has them or is thinking about getting them, but for me that’s “Too Rich for my blood”.

lovemeloveme
lovemeloveme

Sisterlocks being affordable or not is subjective to the person. Some can afford and some cannot. Questions like these come down to are you making a large one time purchase or are you making small purchases over time. Regardless, I have spent hundreds of dollars my natural hair, weaves, AND Sisterlocks. I had Sisterlocks for less than a year and my reason for cutting them wasn’t about price. It was because I didn’t know how to retighten my own hair and that was frustrating. I also didn’t find Sisterlocks as versatile as I had liked— years later, I now realize… Read more »

D
D
Reply to  lovemeloveme

I so agree with you!. I think sisterlocks are beautiful but I to feel like I belong to a “corporation” instead of enjoying my natural state. Every time someone ask me about my hair, I feel obligated to be a spokesperson and try to recruit them to the sisterhood, all because its trademarked. This was certainly not my intention when I got sisterlocks. In fact, I intended to eventually retightened my hair myself anyway, until I was told I HAVE to take the retightening course just to get the patented tool. Yes, I am a little disgruntled, but only with… Read more »

trackback

[…] grid and a special tool that place the hair into its locking formation. Both Essence.com and Black Girl Long Hair reported on the modern version of locking that women are quickly flocking to for an expensive yet […]

trackback

Mauyah Lewis
Mauyah Lewis

Sisterlocks are an intricate procedure, and if you have a loctician who is heavy handed, and puts unnecessary stress, you will experience hair loss. However, whether you have processed hair, extensions, wear a wig etc, abusing your hair will have an affect. I know lots of people who have chosen to wear their hair as above, and only those who have abused their hair wearing weaves, and wigs have experienced hair lost because they have allowed their hairdresser to treat their hair as though they were handling a wild animal. Communication is what’s needed, tell your loctician that your experiencing… Read more »

Nicole Gentle
Nicole Gentle

Never understood why we women of color debate everything regarding hair. It’s just HAIR! When I was a loose natural and had color people talked, said I wasn’t natural enough. When I was permed folks talked, and now we have this constant endless debate about the price of sister locks. It’s simple, you either like them or don’t. You either can afford them or you can not. Get the picture???? I prefer the sister locks over IPADS, MK, Coach, etc. To each their own. Just my two cents.

Danielle

I love my Sisterlocks! I’ve had them for a year, and my hair is at its healthiest, and has never grown faster. For me, the cost of installing and maintaining them is no more expensive than what I was spending on getting a relaxer and style every six weeks, hair products, weaves/braids for protective styles, etc. When I added up the amount I was spending per year on all those things compared to the cost of Sisterlocks, the investment was well worth it.

Kedra
Kedra

I am considering sisterlocks, but that price is what holds me back. I think sisterlocks are something to consider especially if you love micro braids seeing that they look very similiar. I have been natural for 1yr and a few months now and i have the most roughest hair possible and i would like to have something that would make my hair more manageable on the day to day basis.

LusciousDC
LusciousDC
Reply to  Kedra

I looked into getting sister locks 4 years ago. I was told $500. I’m a baller on a budget and there is no way in hell I will spend $500 on my hair. I’ll cut it bald first. The beautician accidentally told me where she got the tools and DVD from. i ordered the kit and tool and have been locked ever since. I tighten my hair about once a month. I love them. If you are good at doing your own hair, i.e. cornrows, plates, etc.., you can do this.

Loretta Bonds
Reply to  LusciousDC

Do tell? I would love to do my own. Loebond @ Yahoo. com

gracie
gracie
Reply to  LusciousDC

Can you accidentally tell me? I already have them just tired of paying for the retight

Dee
Dee
Reply to  LusciousDC

Hello where did you get your kit from because the prices are too high for me also

Dee
Dee
Reply to  LusciousDC

hison2luv@gmail.com…please tell me where to get the sista lock kit

Dee
Dee
Reply to  LusciousDC

I would like to no also 🙂
I’ve been natural 2 years and I’m having a hard time with breakage and knots 🙁
I’m a student and I work but still live at home I can’t afford $500 my hair is kinda long now
I do my own hair so I think would be good at it 🙂

Niaashley16
Niaashley16
Reply to  LusciousDC

Could you please share that info with me?…niaashley16@gmail.com

Chris
Chris

Nope. I don’t believe in fake hair, no matter how natural it looks. I’m not a hair shamer, I just think that all of that manipulation and pulling on the hair is the enemy of health and length. I feel the same way about braid extensions and weaves. It may look great, but it will leave your hair damaged. And for what? I think it’s our impatience with waiting for hair to grow and our lack of self acceptance that makes these hair trends popular. And make the sellers rich. Nothing is cheaper than rocking your own natural hair. I… Read more »

Jen
Jen
Reply to  Chris

How is this fake hair if its growing out of your own scalp? I have a friend who has this and once done correctly it does not cause any damage to the hair. Its all a matter of how well you nourish your own hair.

Valerie
Reply to  Chris

I don’t think Chris knows what she’s talking about. Sisterlocks is done with your own hair. Actually it is your own hair. There’s nothing to manipulate because hair locks naturally. Sisterlocks installation puts it in a certain locking pattern. I have had sisterlocks for 2 years and 4 months. I paid $650 for the install and I pay $63 every 6 weeks for retightenings. Sisterlocks is the best investment in myself. I’ve never had one day of regret and vote a big fat ‘Yes’ to sisterlocks.

Carenthea Polk
Carenthea Polk

I have had my sisterlocks for 9 months now, and it is one of the best investments I have ever made. So well worth the money. Installation is a bit pricey, but the results are priceless. There are several ways to style your hair, no more “bad hair days”. I have never been more in love with my hair.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/20140115_132608.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/20140115_122243.jpg[/img]

gheena
gheena

Two years locked. Initial investment 465.00. I got retightenings once every six weeks for 65.00 a session for the first year. I now maintain my own hair. The only money l spend on my hair now is on lock jewelry and lila rose hair clips. The only product l use on my hair is henna to cover my grays and water for moisture. Without a doubt the best most economical decision l have ever made regarding my hair. Btw.…no fake hair…very little manipulation.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/WP_20131208_016‑1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/WP_20131208_016‑1–1.jpg[/img]

Glynis James-Watson
Glynis James-Watson

I have had Sisterlocks for a few years and I love them. The installation is hefty but I truly don’t believe that the maintenance costs are much more than what Sisters who straighten their hair pay for relaxer touch ups. I love the versatility of them and the fact it is my natural hair.

Leslie
Leslie

I have found sister locks to be well worth it! I go every six weeks to have my hair appointment to continue with the locking pattern at the root. The in between maintenance is super easy and the Sisterlock products (shampoos and conditioners) are quite economical. When I think of the money I used to spend on products, money and time at the hairdresser every two weeks, and the daily grind of hair maintenance I cringe. I HIGHLY recommend sister locks. It’s versatile and natural.

Razondalee

I wouldn’t say it isn’t worth it because I believe it is a matter of opinion but I can tell you that I achieved the same look of sisterlocks with my teenaged daughter. We just call them micro-locks. I braided her hair in tiny braids (it took two days) and allowed them to lock over time, never taking them out. They are growing long and beautiful and the braids at the end have disappeared. I am able to maintain them myself by palm rolling and a few times a year, I use the crochet tool to get it really tight.… Read more »

Angela
Angela

Ive had my sisterlocks coming up 5years this may and i truely truely love them — i paid 350 pounds to have them done and i only pay 55pounds every 6 wks to have them retightened but for the last 6 months i have been retightening them myself as i was trained how to 6 months after having them done — they are growing beautifully and are in the middle of my back now — when i started they were real short — but still loved them — i cant wait for them to grow longer — i would defo… Read more »

Shanaz
Shanaz
Reply to  Angela

Hi Angela. Where in the UK did you get your sister locks done?

Karetha Austin
Karetha Austin

I’ve had my sisterlocks for about 5 years. I paid $475, it was the best money I have ever spent. I love my hair and the freedom it gave me. I pay $80 every 6 week for retighten.

Romona priah
Romona priah

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/IMG_20140111_132418.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/IMG_20140111_132418‑1.jpg[/img]

Dee
Dee

hison2luv@gmail.com…please tell me where to get the sista lock kit

Mtponder
Mtponder

I have had sisterlocks for 5 years and am transitioning into traditional locs. Don’t get me wrong, they can be very lovely. But I also find them to be expensive, not terribly versatile and due to alopecia, I have continued to lose my hair because of the pulling experienced during monthly retightning. The most important point is not the installation, but that you are fully aware of the expense and (for me) inconvenience of SL. It was difficult to find a reliable consultant, it was difficult to get an appointment and instead of being freeing, I felt like I was… Read more »

Embee Frank
Embee Frank

Hi Ladies,

I am just loving hearing your sister lock stories. To the ladies from England I want to ask where you get your hair done. It is a lot of money to pay so I would rather have a tried and tested sister loctician.
For those of you that learned to re-tighten yourself was it very difficult to learn and roughly how long does it take to do? Is it expensive to learn?
Many thanks

Em
Em
Reply to  Embee Frank

If I lived in England I’d absolutely be trying to get Annette Clark Headley as my loctician. She has a company Almocado that makes products for natural hair and locs. I discovered her on YouTube while researching sisterlocks and I love her demeanor so much. I’ve also seen other women in the UK vlog about sisterlocks on YouTube if you want to keep looking. 🙂

April
April

The only way to get Sisterlocks is to have them installed by a certified sisterlock consultant or trainee which can be found on their registry. What others are referring to are interlocks which can be started on your own with a nappyloc tool. I started braidlocs myself with plaits and interlocked them to achieve the same look as sisterlocks. If you Google nappylocs, I’m sure it will show how to get the kit. Its not a secret. If you are looking for Sisterlocks, which is about a distinctive grid pattern and locking technique, you will have to go to a… Read more »

tell
tell

Never Never Never ever would I pay that amount of money, besides I like dreads(I really just like how they look) I think some sista-locks are beautiful just not for me.

Persistance
Persistance

I totally want this style. For years I’ve wanted to do this, however I can’t find anyone in my country who does this 🙁

Lona
Lona

Me too, I met this one sista about a month ago, she was a guest at the Casino that I work at. With me being natural, I assumed she was too(silly me) we talked about her Locs and I once again “assumed” that sister lock terminology was just female dreads. She suggested that I get them, gave me the name and number to her stylist. There is absolutely no way that I would get false Locs! To each their own but I truely feel it defeats the purpose of what we are about here! I feel Bamboozled

Rae
Rae
Reply to  Lona

Sisterlocks are not fake locs.…I have them and all of my hair is real. I think you are confused…

DJ
DJ

It depends upon the person. Women pay more than that for some types of straight weave hair that can only be left in a couple of months. This is a lifetime worth of hairstyle. You are not just paying for the hair, you are also paying for the service and learning the technique. I believe that she has begun to charge so much, because unlike other hairstyles you eventually do not have repeat customers coming back and employing you like most salons do. Many sisters get the first retightening and then they go on about their business. I was surprised… Read more »

DJ
DJ
Reply to  DJ

P.S. I meant Cornwell and I’ve only seen this done with natural hair. The fake hair is something that I have not seen before with Sister Locks.

Iniko
Iniko

Sisterlocks are expensive because they take a lot of time to install. I know because I have them. Unlike dreads, you need to get like sort of a license and go through classes in order to be the installer of sisterlocks. You even need a tool! Thats really the reason why its so much. because installing is so meticulous to the hair dresser and the braids or whatever they are, are sooooo tiny. But is it worth it? Hell yeah! Its so easy to take care of, and you could even wait 2 months before you get it retightened. You could dye… Read more »

Rae
Rae

My Sisterlocks are 9 months old all my hair and fabulous. I pay 50 every 4 weeks to get my hair retightened. I love my Sisterlocks and can’t figure out why I didn’t get them sooner
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/image.jpg[/img]

Tai
Tai

Sisterlocks is about having options. It may not be the right choice depending on your lifestyle, price or what you are trying to achieve with your hair. I would encourage people to research all options before making a decision. For me this option suited my needs and lifestyle. I have been locked for 5 years now and I would not have it any other way.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/image‑9.jpg[/img]

Bobbette Smith
Bobbette Smith
Reply to  Tai

I live in Las Vegas and from what I hear the price is so high here. I go back and forth to the DCMaryland area. Can anyone suggest someone there?

Phyllis

I’m considering sister locks,my hair was shoulder length before I had a perm which took out my hair and left bald spots and had to cut my hair several times to remove the damage caused by the relaxer. The bald spots are filling in and my hair is no longer breaking, I still have some thin areas in the front section of my head… I no longer want any chemicals in my hair. I just want to know if sister locks would be right for me. I find them to be beautiful. I lives in Michigan and would like to… Read more »

Summrbrz
Summrbrz
Reply to  Phyllis

Phyllis, if you haven’t already, go to Locs of Excellence on Nine Mile in Southfield (248–304-0000) for a consult. Take all of your questions. They will advise you on getting Sisterlocs. I am in my 6th month locked, and I can’t begin to tell you how pleased I am with my decision to do this. Good Luck!

Coe
Coe

I have had Sistalocs since 2011 and I am admittedly in love with my hair. Indeed it is my glory!! Initially, the installation was pricey however I found an awesome Lotician to maintain them. My maintanence was $65/month. That I could handle. As of May 2012, I have maintained them myself. I am grateful to YouTube and the sisters that have shared the knowledge.

Eternally grateful,

Coe

Belinda Williams
Belinda Williams

Sisterlocs are an excellent option for showcasing your Natural hair! It definitely is worth it, IF (and that’s a Huge IF you can afford it)! I started my journey with Sisterlocs in mid June 2014. The initial cost was $650.00 which included a $25 tip. The next 2 follow ups were included in the $625. Then 8 weeks later I returned for retightening and it cost me $100 for 4 hours. I had slippage, meaning quite a bit of the Locs came out. Slippage I was told happened because my hair is very soft. Note…I’m A 4b and I work… Read more »

shauna
shauna

I’ve been considering sister locks for a long time(essentially why I big chopped in the first place). 10 inches of hair later and 4 more years in the military I don’t see that ever happening 🙁 it’s probably going to cost me $2000 just to get them installed. RIDICULOUS.

Andrea
Andrea
Reply to  shauna

Girl, I would advise against it if you are in the military. They keep changing the policies so much where kinky-coily hair is concerned that I wouldn’t even chance it. I recently read an article about a woman who served for over 14 years and had to get a discharge because she would not cut her locs. Plus, they want to dictate how many cornrows you can have. It is easier to just pull your hair back in a bun.

Sara Yeltz
Sara Yeltz
Reply to  Andrea

or just not serve in the military of a country that can’t accept some of its citizens for how they were created naturally. Let them fight their own wars and go die in their own wars.

Kamilah
Kamilah
Reply to  shauna

Thank you for your service!

NubianLockedPrincess .
NubianLockedPrincess .

I had my second set of Sisterlocks installed two months ago. I had my first set for six years! Depending on your length of hair, Installing Sisterlocks is very time consuming! Installing a straight grid is the first battle. Interlocking your hair into a pattern initially, can be time consuming. Depending on how experienced your consultant is will determine how fast your Locs will be completed. I cut my perm of both times and began with three inches of natural hair at $500.

honeybeemee
honeybeemee

I have had my Sisterlocks for 14 months and the ONLY regret I have is that I didn’t get them SOONER….

Keepitphresh
Keepitphresh

is any one from NYC or north NJ that can recommend a place I could go for a consult

Andrea
Andrea

I am a cosmetologist and I have had so many clients ask me about sisterlocks that I have decided to take a class! I’ve been thinking about it for 2 1/2 years. The class is a hefty investment as well, but I’m finding that the clientele is out there so I need to add it to my service menu.

Andrea
Andrea

Fabulous, FABULOUS, article!!!

Valerie Bradford
Valerie Bradford

Lots of breakage. I lost several due to thinning locks. Not as versatile
I don’t think I have enough in my hair to enjoy the experience of styling. I am do close to chopping them off and getting traditional locks! I hate them!

Monica Hill
Monica Hill

Please don’t cut them. They were probably installed too small as compared to the density of your hair. Go an talk to a different consultant. They call likely join your locks together to therefore prevent the breakage. Trust me, I’ve been there.

Emma Shemusic Shesteelers Ande
Emma Shemusic Shesteelers Ande

My Sisterlock Birthday is August 5th, 2007, having my Sisterlocks installed is the best hair care decision I have ever made. This was a great investment as well, my hair was 7 inches at the time of install and I paid around $550. I have my hair re-tightened every 6 weeks and I don’t pay $1,000 per year for maintenance, I only pay close to $620 as my sessions only take about 2 hours and I my hair is now in the middle of my back. I believe the Sisterlock experience greatly depends on the loctition. Stay blessed.

rockwyld

My apologies for the long post, but I feel strongly about black people (read women) making wie and informed decisions about the care of their (natural) hair. I have SIsterlocks (6 years) and there are a few things worth menthioning. I paid 700.00 USD to have mine installed. I saved over the ocurse of a year to ge them becasue I wanted my hair to look exactly like it does. I pay 75.00 — 100.00 every 6–8 weeks to maintain. While some people scoff at the price tag it is a wise investment that totally evens out. If I wore… Read more »

Phab C
Phab C
Reply to  rockwyld

Where are you from? Can you suggest your person?

rockwyld
Reply to  Phab C

I am in San Francisco and my consultants are Phyliss McCoy and/or Elois Drew

mzariez
mzariez

I have been wearing my hair natural for almost a year now. I had my stylist lock my hair and I did that for about 6 months. I just took them out last week because I just couldn’t stand the puffiness any longer. I have girl friend that has sister locks and they are beautiful. I have been think about getting them just because I can do so much with them and I love to change my style. I’m in the Philadelphia area. Does anyone in this area recommend a salon I could go too?

Miz Coffee
Miz Coffee
Reply to  mzariez

There are a bunch of consultants in Philly go to the sisterlock website

trackback

[…] BlackGirlLongHair has a post about the expense of Sisterlocks whether or not it’s worth the price.  Whew!  Can’t wait to go into that one in my Apprehension Post… […]

Patrice
Patrice

Its there any stylist in Atlanta that can be reccomended?

Nappy girl
Nappy girl

Hello everyone I’m in the North Carolina area does anyone know where I can go here?

Don'tBSoNosey
Don'tBSoNosey

This method of locs is ideal for those seeking employment in more conservative settings. The cost can is a bit of sticker shock initially, however add up all of the $$$ you’ll be saving on products, oil, and styling aids to maintain a certain style. No, I’m not a consultant and have never worn Sisterlocks. I have been researching this method, along with Microlocks, Braidlocks, and still deciding on which way to go.

EsotericOne
EsotericOne

I can understand the cost because it is a lot of intensive work. However, there are cheaper options, and Dr. Cornwell DOES NOT OWN the rights to the installation process because SHE DIDN’T INVENT IT. The Hamer people of Africa have used a similar (or identical) install process and naturally-occurring red ochre to form their locs. Google it. A cursory search of the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) reveals that she has the rights to and owns THE NAME to be used in seminars, hair products, and pre-recorded tapes. Note that it mentions NOTHING about a tool (which… Read more »

MisteryKid
MisteryKid

I paid $1200 Canadian dollars to get mines done and $100 for retightening every month. After getting it done I realized that there were other places that were doing it for $800.

Monica
Monica

New 2 day sisterloc

Metafly
Metafly

It isn’t a waste. It’s labor intensive. The process is two full days. Maintenance is necessary. Buying weave hair is way more costly than having your sisterlocks retightened.