8 Beautiful Styles for Fine, Thin (Low-Density) Natural Hair

Avatar • Oct 27, 2013

nalia1908

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

This article was highly requested after my last natural hair styles post, so here we go!

Many people err on the side of equating “natural hair” with having “thick, full, BIG” hair.  In reality, some naturals have thin (i.e., low density) hair.  Some also have fine strands (i.e., strands with a small diameter or thickness).  Additionally, there are those of us who have a combination of the two — thin and fine hair — which can make styling a challenge … but hopefully less so now.  The following is a list of tutorials that showcase beautiful options for fine, thin (low-density) natural hair, especially shorter or medium tresses:

1. Spiral Curls into Curly Fro

Nalia is my number one favorite YouTuber when it comes to styling low-density natural hair.  (I highly recommend subscribing to her if you are in a styling rut.) For this style, she begins with a curly look achieved via perm rods (in this video).  Check out how she then transforms her look into a voluminous curly fro.

2. Flat Twistout with Curled Ends

For some naturals with shorter, low-density hair, the conventional twist-out from a set of two-strands twists just does not work.  So, what is a possible alternative?  The flat twist-out with curled ends and using a comb to lift the roots.  It really helps to give you the appearance of more volume, and Napturally Nesey demonstrates that here.

3. Banana-Clip High Bun

Okay, maybe you do not have the density to achieve the popular “Cinnabun” style, but this “High Bun Banana-Clip” is ingenious!  Watch how MsDeekay achieves this volume-forming look.

4. Textured Swoop Bang and Banana-Clip Low Bun

For those with longer strands, watch how Santina uses certain techniques (including a banana clip) to create this fuller style.  She starts from a fresh braid-out on fine, low-density hair.

5. Beanie and Faux Bang

MissBeeline is another YouTuber to which I recommend subscribing if you have fine, thin natural hair.  In the above tutorial, she shows how to create a thick, textured bang under a beanie using Marley hair.  With the cold weather arriving (or already here in some regions), this look is perfect for the season.

6. Side Donut Bun

Another way to fake the volume is to use a mesh donut (or something similar) for your bun.  In the above tutorial, NaturalDiva10 demonstrates how to make the style work beautifully on fine, low-density hair.

7. Marley Pompadour

Okay, I just had to post another tutorial from Nalia.  This enormous textured pompadour starts from a set of Marley hair on the left side for fullness.  Watch how she creates this fierce look.

8. Twisted Updo with Volume

Here is another tutorial from MissBeeline as well.  By twisting the perimeter (and some) and leaving out a section in the middle, she creates the illusion of volume with this style.  You have to check it out, especially if you are tired of scalpy twists.

Ladies, what do you think of these styles?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

SJ
SJ

I love that most of these styles are protective. Most of the time when articles are written on how to style fine, thin hair, they just include these styles with your ends always exposed to achieve “bigger hair”.

ttemfash
ttemfash

Finally some protective hair-styles I can actually achieve with my low density fine hair.

Deb
Deb

these are great!!! many thanks to the ladies who made these videos and BGLH!! You guys didn’t have to do this (we have no right to DEMAND any of this) but you willingly did. I truly love the openness and support in natural hair community. God bless 🙂

Ray
Ray

Ugh another post full of videos.…Can we get a picture of each style along with the videos please?? 🙁

Sheriseology
Sheriseology
Reply to  Ray

Even though you’re getting downvoted to hell, I feel you on that. I’m not always browsing on my computer, and regular ole pictures are somewhat friendlier to my mobile connection. 🙁

Dore
Dore

This is cool. Now PLEASE make something like this for sistas like me with really HIGH density hair. Most styles y’all feature would take hours to accomplish on my head. I went natural because it took 4 hours to flat iron all of my hair. Aint nobody got time fo’ dat.

Bri
Bri
Reply to  Dore

that’d would be great lol. I have high density but fine strands.

Dawn
Dawn

Beautiful women with beautiful hair! Afro-textured hair certainly does have various densities and strand thickness, and there is enough room in the spotlight for ALL of us DIVAS! *werk!* 🙂

Thanks for this article, BGLH. You did a wonderful job. Please keep up the good work 😉

dee
dee

Great article! I’m going to try #3 and #4 but not so ruff on the edges.

Amber
Amber

Finally! Low density, thin/fine-haired ladies NOT whining about their hair. I learned to embrace my hair eons ago, but lacked versatility. These ladies have given me something to go on.

WhyMe?
WhyMe?

wonderful post, it was needed…keep up the good work 🙂

Suzan, UK
Suzan, UK

Many thanks for sharing.…

mimirose
mimirose

I love it! I knew I had this kind of hair, but most of the pics and videos I see are of naturalistas with thick full hair. It’s only human to want what you don’t have if you see it all the time. To go natural, at least for some of us, takes some confidence, so I was good anyway. Now, though, I’m even better because I have more style choices in my arsenal. Thanks, BGLH!

Lisa Wright

Are there any styles and or advice for women with low density, ultra thin and very soft hair that rarely holds a curl, too thin and soft to press and sheds daily? Right now I use an alcohol free get to get it to lay down. Help!!!