Natural Hair Problems: My Back-Length Hair Never Falls Past My Shoulders

Avatar • Sep 10, 2013

IMG 4801 [Natural Hair Problems] My Hair Never Falls Pass My Shoulders

By Tamara of NaturalHairRules.com

I have been natural since 2006 and I have hair that is way beyond my shoulders. But you would never know it. I’m starting to think I have a shrinkage length of neck length or NL. But in reality my hair is really mid back length (MBL) when blown out or stretched.

When I post pics of my twist out on Instagram someone always ask “did cut your hair?” NO!!! That’s muthersucking shrinkage…

I’m not one to obsess about length but sometimes I would like to see the full length of my hair. Well not the full length but I would like for my growth to be evident. You know what I mean? I put so much time into caring for my body, hair, and skin. I have a rock solid regimen. I retain length and protective style. I KNOW My Hair IS GROWING. I want to see the fruits of my labor. But oh shrinkage.

For years I didn’t even know my hair was long enough to put in a low bun or puff. It always looks shoulder length wet and more neck length when dry. I’m not going to be blowing my hair out every week just to prove to myself that its growing but dang. Can I see some length in my twist out or wash & go. I was sure once my hair got to mid back length I would have a long luscious twist out but nope. Maybe its just one of the quirks of my 4b hair. I don’t know

Ok, I’m not going rant too much longer about this. But dang can I see my growth! I digress *sigh*

My Mid Back Length Hair Stretched [Natural Hair Problems] My Hair Never Falls Pass My Shoulders

Ladies, can you relate? Does it ever frustrate you when shrinkage hides your hair progress? Do you try to combat it or do you leave it alone?

Marcy
Marcy

Yes I can Totally relate. My hair is basically to my waist But it always looks apl. Def annoying!

Dabney
Dabney

Are you kidding me? This is a problem! This is a non Issue! You reached your goal? Celebrate that you have healthy hair! You know Shrinkage is NOT a bad thing. It’s the mark of extremely healthy hair with lovely elasticity. If you want your hair to hang luxuriously down your shoulders then press it! And guess what you will eventually damage it! Kinky hair that is healthy and stretchy should be celebrated! Why are we complaining about it! Why do we want to prove that it reaches these levels? What does it say about you? You hair is gorgeous!… Read more »

Marcy
Marcy
Reply to  Dabney

I dislike shrinkage because it accentuates my already round cheeks (and before people criticize my weight I am slim but always had chubby cheeks). When my hair shrinks it just adds weight to my cheeks which I hate. Nothing to do with not “accepting” my hair. Maybe not accepting my chubby cheeks though.lol

Kim
Kim
Reply to  Dabney

Lmbo!!!!! Totally agree with Dabney!!!

Mackenzie
Mackenzie
Reply to  Dabney

Dabney, try not to determine for another what is or isn’t a “issue”. Her hair is long, yes. It appears lustrous, and is growing, so we’ll assume it’s healthy as well. However, she cannot SEE the fruits of her healthy hair regimen labor. That is a difficult thing for any person, natural or otherwise to deal with. It doesn’t mean she will resort to the damaging methods you are accusing her of opting for next. One of the benefits of long, healthy hair is versatility and the ability to finally attempt some of the styles you have wanted to without… Read more »

Miss T
Miss T

I totally understand, my hair is shrinky dinky city and all I want is my hair to hang a little more in its kinky state. Yeah I can straighten it and it will hang down my back but I want nappy hang time gosh darn it! I have come to realize that even if my hair grows another 10 inches it will still shrink to my neck.

Skyler
Skyler

Definitely can relate but..

By the waves in both pictures it looks like you do a lot of twist outs? maybe try parting/separating the twists instead of leaving them chunky after you undo them or maybe even try like naptural85 with mini twists. that way you can enjoy the length of your hair without possible heat damage. Ive done this before when i was craving to see that length (or feel that lil sway on the back of my neck lol) and it helped a lot.

Y
Y
Reply to  Skyler

Yes, separate your hair after taking down your twist out and then rebraid/ retwist dry hair nightly. That will further stretch the hair as the week goes on and give it a downward hang.

LeAnna
LeAnna
Reply to  Y

Y, so you’re saying DON’T put ANY water or moisturizer on the hair when you’re re-braiding it at night?

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  LeAnna

Because water will cause shrinkage.…

Y
Y
Reply to  LeAnna

My approach is no water and a non water-based moisturizer. My hair is kinky and waist-length. Has worked for me for years, but to each her own… Just trying to help! 🙂

Celia
Celia

Have you tried single braids, braid-outs, or even stretching your twists as they dry? I know shrinkage can be a beast, and the more hair is stretched the more effort it takes to keep it from returning to normal, but I think you can enjoy further stretched hair with several styles.

Then again, you may have tried all that; I do not know at all.
That’s our hair for you. :p
Your hair looks so juicy, by the way!

lauryn
lauryn

I’m only 8 months into my natural journey, so I don’t have that urge to show off my (not) long hair by combatting shrinkage. However, I just want to say that your hair looks incredibly beautiful and healthy the way it is. If you want to show more length, you probably need to change up your style and be prepared to change your hair regimen to accommodate to the new stresses you’ll likely put your hair through. Heat AND too much stretching can cause damage to the hair, which would be such a shame for your beautiful mane!

...
...

Idk. I feel people who hate shrinkage don’t fully accept their hair. You go natural so your hair can grow. When it does then shrinkage is a problem because you can’t see your length.… You clearly know where your hair is and that it’s growing, so what do you mean you can’t see the fruits of your labor when you have a picture right up here showing it. You have stretched your hair previously, but you want your hair to show it’s length in its non-stretched state?? If you only sometimes want to see your length then your going to… Read more »

Janie
Janie

I love your hair!!! Beautiful. My daughter has similar hair to yours — 50% or more shrinkage. After our twists our dry, we add a non-water based butter and braid them up for a day, unbraid & untwist for maximum length — should be close to 80%? Good luck!!!

vickiana
vickiana

i love my shrinkage. i too have mid back length hair and i love that the shrinkage comes up to my shoulders. i love the puff and wildness. i hate when hair in the back hangs

LeAnna
LeAnna

Oh my goodness YES, GIRL!!!!!! I was just complaining about this very same issue two days ago! I have 4B hair as well so maybe it just goes with the territory but it def. is annoying! And I’m not obsessed with hair length either but why does my hair look the same length as in 2007? It does appear FULLER but NOT longer. I appreciate your rant because I can totally relate.

Aliya Best
Aliya Best

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/IMG_20130909_102323.jpg[/img]

Fii
Fii

Your shrinkage is absolutely beautiful. My hair is APL so my shrinkage is basically a ear length. I can’t wait to have shoulder length shrinkage. That will be a monumental time. Perhaphs try other stretching methods like banding or the African threading technique.

Aliya Best
Aliya Best

Just because you’re natural and you want to see the true length of your hair in it’s natural state doesn’t mean you don’t accept your hair. Why are people so defensive about what someone else chooses to do with their own hair?

JoSomebody
JoSomebody
Reply to  Aliya Best

Well, tbh it just doesn’t make much sense to me as a thing to complain about, fight or call a problem. Curly hair shrinks. The curlier or kinkier, the more it shrinks (like a slinky or harmonica ‘shrinks’). Its a natural, 100%, almost defining feature of the thing that is loved and apparently accepted (curly hair). The ‘shrinkage’ is just the hair CURLing up on itself… Because of this, it is almost as odd as saying, ‘I love and accept my curly hair, but I hate that it’s curly. How do I combat the curliness problem?’ (o_0) If you wish… Read more »

JoSomebody
JoSomebody
Reply to  JoSomebody

Concertina not harmonica!

cacey
cacey
Reply to  JoSomebody

oh…not an accordion? that one is like a slinky. i’ve never heard of a concertina, unless it’s the same as an accordion? lol either way, i couldn’t agree more Jo.

Naturallyslim23

Try the pineapple method after you let it air dry a little bit and even stretching it over night. Helps a lot with my shrinkage the good about the pineapple is you canstreatch your hair rather its a washngo, braidout, twistout, etc. hope this helps

Deb
Deb

I mean it kinda sucks sometimes but it’s not that big of a deal to me personally. I actually think its kind of cool and I’ve always been into volume than length anyway. everyone is different though. A solution for stretching might be threading your hair. there’s a youtube video showing a mom that uses this method to stretch her daughters’ hair. For max stretching its over a couple of days. I will find and post it on here when I have time later. You could also just use heat to straighten once in awhile. I don’t know I had… Read more »

Sweetie 06
Sweetie 06
Reply to  Deb

Yeah, I now have the longest hair I’ve ever had (and it still isn’t that long), but I just wish for thick, full hair these days. I’m realizing that thick medium length, shrunken hair (or even thick short hair) gives a better “impression” than very thin, long hair. No offense meant to people with thin, long hair, just my opinion.

Avanti
Avanti

Natural Hair Problem huh? My hair is the same length as yours. It only comes a little past my shoulders when I do twist outs too but when I pull it it comes below my shoulderblades too. Actually, I thought this WAS me. Haha! But after having relaxed hair that NEVER TOUCHED my shoulders having natural hair that does seems like a “Natural Hair Perk-Positive-Victory” when there are so many women who can’t get their relaxed OR natural hair to touch their shoulders. I guess it’s all relative!!!

Stephanie
Stephanie

I know what you mean, My curly hair just seems to get curlier the more hair i get. when I straighten it, its hella long but when I do a wash and go, shrinkage is a bitch… ah well… I won’t complain to much…
at least its healthy 🙂

LaGayla
LaGayla

what is APL? I guess I’m not in the know about the slang, and I’ve been natural (without the back and forth lol) since 2006!

Aliya Best
Aliya Best
Reply to  LaGayla

Apl ‑arm pit length.

Eri
Eri

I completely understand. I am having the same frustration with my shrinkage. Constantly trying to find ways to stretch my hair without using heat and without it getting frizzy. That’s pretty difficult to achieve. I think some shrinkage is great, but when you’re trying to wear a certain style and your hair draws up 50% by the end of the day. It gets annoying. And I wish people would stop getting upset with those of us who desire to show our length. We have our preference and you have yours. It doesn’t mean that I hate my hair. If I… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID
Reply to  Eri

Eri there is nothing wrong with wanting to show your length. Get annoyed, rant and be frustrated. Its ok. We’ve all mumbled under our breath about shrinkage at one time or another Lol. The thing is that there isn’t much you can do about it. Why let it get to you. Frizzy Shrunken hair is essentially the characteristics of highly textured hair. I don’t think naturals who feel this way hate their hair I just think they haven’t aceepted its reality. So you cant achieveca certain style move on to another.

minarajoon
minarajoon

Try African threading to stretch you hair without heat damage…

minarajoon
minarajoon
Reply to  minarajoon

YOUR*

Britney

The pineapple method works really well. It stretches your hair near the root and a few inches out while leaving the rest of your hair in it’s natural, wash ‘n’ go form. You may have to wet it around your edges just a little when you take it down and use your fingers to gently motion it downward and out from the root. I don’t wear twistouts often (I don’t have the patience to do it), but I noticed that the smaller the twist, the longer my hair stretches. My hair length is less than 2″ away from my bra… Read more »

louisa
louisa

I feel your pain!!!!! My hair is 4 a/b i think (still dont know lol), I was hoping my hair would go past my shoulders with twist outs. I’ve learnt to get it near arm pit length, with naptural 85 twist out method on youtube, of doing bantu knots to your twist straight after conditioning hair on wash day. Let it dry with a t shirt for like half hour, then air dry till you go to bed, take the bantu knots out and bobby pin you twist around your head to stretch the twists. Also smaller braid outs get me… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID

Eh, this is such a non issue as you can’t really do anything about it but rant and lip smack. Its frustrating but in the end it is what it is. I was having one of these moments myself but realized that its kinda silly. Its a vanity goal not some spiritual quest for greatness. Shrinkage is what our hair does best. Embrace or be frustrated Lol. As far as showing off your hard work think about it like this all those people you want to show off your length br oohing and awe ‑ing but where them mofos at… Read more »

Kay
Kay

Okay so if you are natural you are not allowed to want long hair? And because you decided to go natural you should be happy with your hair looking short because it is healthy. And you can’t complain about shrinkage and it’s not a problem because some random natural know it all said it’s not a real problem! It’s a problem to her and for a lot of other naturals. That’s my opinion.

Tiff
Tiff
Reply to  Kay

Not at all. I think it’s just a matter of accepting ourselves. I caused so much damage to my natural hair the first time around trying to stretch it. But this time I look at my shrinkage as nothing more than my hair. How my hair length is straight is irrelevant because I don’t have straight hair. Love the kink.…in its eternity.

knettles
knettles
Reply to  Tiff

I understand what you are saying. I hate for people to dismiss others concerns because its not deemed a concern to them. The author was expressing her frustration with shrinkage. I can see how being obsessive about showing length can cause damage if you are not careful with your approach to combat it. My main point was to address the rudeness of some of the comments.

simplezzzzs
simplezzzzs
Reply to  Tiff

@ Tiff

I agree. I think somehow thru this natural hair journey, we found a ‘new’ thing to not like or obsess over. I understand the author’s frustration over shrinkage, but, ultimately the goal should be healthy hair- not length. It does seem more vain than anything else. It’s almost like women who relax and obsess over the straightness or how others may perceive them.

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  simplezzzzs

Yeah, because hair has to be all about length, looking pretty must never come into it! Hair is partly about vainity and doing what looks nice! I feel your pain about shrinkage, I hate it!

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  Kay

Yes you can complain and yes you should expect your hair to grow long if you take care of it and it’s nothing wrong with wanting to see the fruits of your labor, but if those issues are driving you into depression that is a far bigger problem.

AnonSince87
AnonSince87

Some of us have become too scared to admit to ourselves that there are some things about our natural hair we don’t particularly welcome. But its normal. women of all ethnicities have little hang ups about their hair. Because of the history of our hair and the negative connotations attached it, people become defensive; we’re so used to hearing bad things that we’ve gone to the extreme and want to feel perfect about everything. Well we’re human, just like woman of other races. I HATE shrinkage. Yea, I said it. Lol. I accept it (otherwise I would have relaxed it & I’ve… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID
Reply to  AnonSince87

Well said!

Reply to  AnonSince87

I still think you n00bs are deluded. Why do black women always have to bring up white women this, white women that, asian women this. We are BLACK. Not white, or indian. We are the KINGS and QUEENS. The original. Made in the likeness of HIM and PROUD of every inch of our chocloate decadence. Now, when women say they hate shrinkage it’s just the same as when black women obsess over long hair, or “good hair”, or a curl definition. It is all the same mindwashed shit. So get the your shrinkage and embrace your beautiful hair for what… Read more »

Reply to  rainbow rider

AnonSince87 is the most deluded one on here.. and look at the thumbs up. Lots of deluded women on blackgirlonghair I see. Congrats!

VJ
VJ

I can totally relate! I think I’m 4A with a few 4B spots. My shrinkage is 90%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have a TWA as I just cut my hair in June, but when stretched or blown out my hair is grazing neck length. Without stretching in any way shape or form, you would think I only had 1/2 an inch of hair. I walked into a salon once for a quick wash, blow dry, and flat iron (big mistake btw)and the young stylist looked at my hair with an expression that said “what is she gonna wash and blow dry? she ain’t… Read more »

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  VJ

“Once she started working with it I could hear the frustrations and surprise in her breathing as it stretched to reveal its real length. Ya’ll I laughed so hard on the inside and I must admit a bit of pride rose up inside me- to think people doubted my hair! SHAME!” LMAO-wish I was in the salon with you watching the stylist trying to work on your hair. Like a movie playing in my mind. People in general have no idea how much shrinkage can distort your true length. One thing to keep in mind in regards to shrinkage which I… Read more »

LBell
LBell
Reply to  VJ

Something similar happened to me about a year after I BC’d. I went to the same stylist who’d done the BC and asked him for a press-and-curl (yeah, that’s what we were still calling them back in the 90s). That was the very first time I (and EVERYBODY ELSE in the salon, lol; jaws dropping everywhere) realized just how long my hair really was and how much shrinkage I really had (over 80 percent in the top and about 60 percent everywhere else). My stylist was mad he didn’t take before-and-after pictures. Before that I had no real concept of… Read more »

NaturalNdaNati
NaturalNdaNati

Ooow wee honey! I feel your pain! My hair is the exact same length and shrinks to that same length also. It pisses me off too! lol!! Then I hate it when people compare my length to the growth of others just because theirs stretches and mine doesn’t! UGH!!!!

Jasper
Jasper

If length is such an issue you could get a texturizer.

101Corkscrews
101Corkscrews

I feel the same way. I’m 3C/4A hair and it shrinks like crazy.… When I see people’s hair that have been natural as long as I have and you can see their length but you can’t see mine.….. I just throw my hands up 🙂 i can’t win for losing but I’d rather have that than damage my hair to see the length 🙂 nice post…

Monisola
Monisola

Look up Heatless blow outs on youtube.

You can stretch your hair quite well with the banding method and with african threading. I have been meaning to try these methods because my hair is 3 inches to bra strap length but it is neck length when worn in twist outs!

i have fine 4c strands that could NOT take consistent heat.

rw
rw

dealing with the same ish, i’m over 18″ long, ober 3 years natural, and its just starting to ‘hang out’ on my shoulders, pineappling does help but sheesh

Stace
Stace

Shrinkage is where the misconceptions that black peoples hair doesn’t grow and that black girls can’t have long hair comes from. The hair grows and it gets rather long but no one can tell unless the hair is heavily manipulated. Shrinkage can be a real beast.

Tiffany Madonia
Tiffany Madonia

Have you tried braiding your hair while it’s wet and letting it dry that way? I do that to stretch my hair out and then I will twist it for a twist out while it’s dry and it retains it’s length. Sometimes if I’m pressed for time (because I’m not thrilled with the way it looks when I do a braid out) I will braid it while it’s wet and then twist those braids together for the twist out look.

gracie
gracie

How about mini twists to see your length? Here’s a video I saw recently:

Good luck with your journey!

Jesse
Jesse

Shrinkage! I’m more in awe about it honestly lol. It is so extreme for me because I have 4c hair. I think you just have to accept it because you have curly hair. Your hair shrinks because it’s extremely curly. Why be concerned about the length of your hair when it’s stick straight and pinned down your back, even though you don’t wear your hair stick straight? If you continue to wear styles that fall down, then you are working against the strengths of natural hair (volume, ability to be molded, shrinkage, voluminous updo’s). I’m not saying don’t wear twist-outs,… Read more »

Alwina
Alwina

For a wash and go, I don’t combat it. I rather have moisturized hair with shrinkage than dry, elongated hair. Other hair styles, more elongation would be nice. But as long as my hair is moisturized, then I’m good.

amander
amander

Shrinkage is only a problem to people who haven’t truly accepted the characteristics of their natural hair. Our hair grows up and out instead of down, and we get volume instead of length. That is just how our hair is. It’s only a “problem” if you consider thick, beautiful, lush hair a problem!

Norrell
Norrell

This is definitely my struggle too! But I think once you get length braid outs work muchhh better to actually see length. So i’ve been doing braid outs OR making lots of twists then braiding them.

AC
AC

My hair doesn’t even come past my ears with shrinkage, you’re pretty lucky to me.

stace
stace

I see people saying things that lead me to believe people are not really understanding the level of shrinkage going on here.Comments like when it gets longer , if you wait and have patience, after year 2.…this girl has been natural for 6 years (at least) The hair is not going to suddenly start hanging one year…its shrinking from mid back/waiste length almost till up to mid neck/shoulder…that is major!
I think people who are not experiencing this type of shrinkage are being alittle obstuse. This is a real issue. My little cousin and little sister have the same issue.

KiyanniL
KiyanniL

I have shrinkage too. My hair shrinks up badly when dry but when stretched, it is way longer. I’ve been like 14 months natural. I love the shrinkage, but sometimes it can be a bit of a bother too.

Rosalie

I feel your pain. I have 3C hair thats bra strap length but when dry never goes past my my shoulders. I’m not length obsessed either but it’s frustrating sometimes.

rainbow rider

I love shrinkage and whatever my hair does! My hair is sooo beautiful and wonderful. Yours is too, just the way God almighty made it just for your black ass!

rainbow rider

Now, when women say they hate shrinkage it’s just the same as when black women obsess over long hair, or “good hair”, or a curl definition. It is all the same mindwashed shit. So get over your shrinkage and embrace your beautiful hair for what it is. Our hair in all frankness is the best type of hair to have, our skin, our lips. HALLEJLUA!

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

My mid-back hair goes to my shoulders. But, it’s big as all hell and that’s what I love. The bigger the hair, the closer to God, right? I do like shocking the hell out of people when they see my straightened hair. Yes, Dear, underneath all that big hair is lots of length.

Michelle
Michelle

I used to try to stretch it, now I just leave it alone. If no one knows that it’s reached my shoulders, then so be it.

AMEN SISTAH!

K
K

I too have this “situation” but I just have to give up seeing it as a “problem”. I have no choice. Nothing is changing. Imagine this… not having your hair grow past your shoulders and being natural for like, 10 years!! You’re thick healthy hair is awesome, regardless of length. Imagine having hair that never seems to grow AND it being extremely thin AND fragile. I have a solid regimen, eat well, in shape, take vitamins, all of it and still no change. I faithfully follow the haircare advice of my two fave YouTubers (Naptural85 and Quest for the Perfect… Read more »

M2
M2

I feel u, n I don’t hate myself or my hair, I too would like for a particular style to stay the same for longer than 30 minutes. Due to shrinkage, some of us can only wear our hair in certain styles n we would like some flexibility/consistency also. Lol. Unfortunately, we have to accept it n learn to work with it in a healthy manner to not sacrifice it to damage. Soon u may develop out of the stage you are in. look for the positives, it will help.

str8curly
str8curly

HA!… I was jus thinking these same thoughts the last 2 weeks.. some friends on FB said they wanted to see some updated pics… so I asked the hubby to snap one after I finished my wash & DC.. and OMG.. it is long as yours or maybe a smidge longer.. LOL.. and let me tell ya.. I did some twists the other night.. and while they are longer than they used to be.. they dont touch my shoulders.. I tell all my friends. natural or not.. THE SHRINKAGE IS REAL!… I would love to learn some new tips on… Read more »

Lydia
Lydia

I think it’s wrong to tell this woman she is not embracing her hair because she hates the shrinkage. If your hair is so long, sometimes you want to show that off without doing a ton of damage to your hair! I’d say work on banding the hair and get it, girl!

cacey
cacey

interesting. that’s quite some shrinkage, but the way i see it, there’s probably no getting around it except in straightening. as others have said, u just gotta come to terms with it. accept it for what it is and make it work for you. it’s both blessing and curse, i guess. my hair “shrinks” even though i don’t usually think about it in those terms because i’m just so use to it doing what it do that i really don’t care. my hair styles look good, as do your twistouts, and even if i had the length i probably wouldn’t… Read more »

pinny
pinny

Your hair shrinks because it’s extremely curly. That’s apart of it’s nature. Why be concerned about lenghth when it’s straight and pinned down your back when that’s not how you wear it or how your natural hair is?

D.K.

Yeah, better let it do its thang. One comment suggested banding, and I agree, that’s probably your best bet without constant heat. Shrinkage is a part of life, be it a good piece of baked fish, our height (as we reach the elderly stage) or our beautifully unique hair.

EastofEden
EastofEden

Anti-Shrinkage debates seem like the new catalyst for “good hair” and “long hair” insecurities within the Natural community. What do you have to prove to anyone about your length? Be happy and grateful that your hair is super healthy and strong, super coily, and super beautiful. Seeing woes and comments like “People are *so* shocked and awed at the length of my hair when it’s straightened” and “Little did they know …” or “I sure did show them” are disturbing to me, because it’s still such a superficial, institutionalized concept of appeasement. Long hair does no represent your self-worth. Whether… Read more »

Reply to  EastofEden

You are right EastOfEden. These women just have a “permed mindset” or “good hair vs bad hair mindset” when it comes to natural hair.

Octavia
Octavia

What you can do to eliminate shrinkage a little bit is to do braid outs instead of twist outs. Twists shrink more than braid, while braids natural stretch your hair. I have alot of shrinkage too, but i embrace it. I do a style that’s going to give me the results that I want.

Charlée
Charlée

Honestly.…reading this I thought it was a story about me and my hair. I relAte to everything said. My shrinkage length is NL as well and my stretched hair is somewhere between bra-strap length and mid back

Karimah Boston
Karimah Boston

You’ve got gorgeous hair. Celebrate the fact that thousands of years ago, God decided to kink it up so all that back length hair wouldn’t cause a heat stroke! Remember that the media will only glorify long, stringy hair and compensate by dreaming up and Instagramming voluminous hairstyles that only a 4b naturalista can rock.

Kita
Kita

I’m the umpteenth person on this thread that feels the pain lol I love my shrinkage but I had to learn my whole life that my shrinkage length (regardless if my hair is way longer) will always have a “set limit” so to speak. Since cutting all my hair off last April (again) last year I am now at shoulder, upper back length. However, my shrunken fro still looks like the same twa I had when I first moved out here to Italy last July lol

Tasila Mkwayaya
Tasila Mkwayaya

Try to band it up at night.