Kristel // 4B/C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 7, 2013

IMG_3864

Introduce yourself!
K:
My name is Kristel Eavis. I was born in Paramaribo, Suriname which is a country in South America. When I was six years old I moved with my parents and little sister to The Netherlands in Europe. For a year I lived in Amsterdam and then we moved to a city near Amsterdam called Almere, where I´m still living.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
K:
I have been natural since 2004. I was in my final year of studies in Design for Virtual Theatre & Games. In 2003 I stopped using chemical relaxers in my hair. I used curl sets to transition and in 2004 I did the big chop. I went natural because I never liked the burning chemicals and long sits under the hairdryer. I always had big, long hair, so everything takes super long: straightening, drying, washing. I never liked the load of work and I was getting tired of it. Then I saw Lauryn Hill with her small afro and I thought she was gorgeous, strong and confident. Then she started to wear short locks that became longer and meanwhile I saw other naturals appear on MTV like Jill Scott and India Arie. To see these beautiful women with their natural hair was a big inspiration.

How would you describe your texture?
K:
My hair is a mix of 4B and 4C texture. The front, top and sides are 4B. The back is definitely 4C. My strands are dense. The back is definitely the most coarse part on my head.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
K:
I wash my hair at least once every 2 weeks and let it air dry in big 2 strand twists. When I part the twists I can wear it loose for about a week. I sleep with my hair in big 2 strand twists and sometimes a scarf. For products I use Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo, Organic Root Stimulator Incredibly Rich Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion and Organic Root Stimulator Glossing Polisher. The second week I wear more protective styles like high puffs, buns or milkmaid braids. I will use the Organic Root Stimulator Nourishing Sheen Spray after I have styled my hair.

IMG_3802

What does wash day look like for you?
K:
If I am lazy (which I am most of the time) it goes like this: I wash my hair and comb it under the shower (takes 1 to 2 hours). Then I moisturize it, put oil on it to seal it, and part it in about 15 to 20 two strand twists (takes 2 to 3 hours). It takes at least 24 hours to air dry my hair. Sometimes I try different products like the Professional Motions line, but the Organic Root Stimulator line of products always work fine as long as the moisturizers are rich and creamy. I have a lot of hair so I go for products that don´t cost too much and come in big bottles.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
K:
The pineapple. Just bundle your hair together on top of your head. If my hair is too dry I just tug the ends under the elastic band and then the pineapple turns into a big bun.

How do you combat shrinkage?
K:
I don’t. With shrinkage comes volume. I just do twist-outs sometimes in my second week. I spray my hair with water and redo the twist-out. Because the hair isn’t totally wet, it gets a more stretched look. If I want a sleek look I use a styling comb.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
K:
The back. It is the thickest, most coarse and dry part of my hair. It also shrinks most in comparison with the rest of my hair.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
K:
Moisturize a lot and seal hair with oil. Never comb hair when it is dry.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
K:
Wash and Go´s. (I haven’t see one that looks good on 4B/C hair, and if it takes 3 hours I don’t think you can call it a wash and go) Maybe I´m doing it wrong, but defining my hair with Eco Styler Gel makes my hair go flaky.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
K:
I write a blog about my work, fashion and hair for the Dutch site myblackhair. And I keep a Lookbook on Facebook and Pinterest.

You can check out my work as a Audiovisual Designer at:
www.aineko.nl
www.facebook.com/AinekoProductions

About Meosha

Kami
Kami

I was about to harass BGLH to see if she could be a style icon, lol, so I’m glad they were one step ahead of me. Her hair is gorgeous, her skin is flawless, and she is just a beautiful woman.

Why?
Reply to  Kami

Yes and she has so much hair!!
Black is indeed beautifull

knettles
knettles

Lovely

KidA
KidA

In the very first picture with the scarf, she looks like Haircrush. I love her hair and styles. It’s nice to see the 4b/c s like me with the thick dense hair that doesn’t lay down for anyone.

Skyler
Skyler

seems like she’s a really cool person too! She has me trying to prepare myself though. While I was reading about her 2–3 hour processes I was thinking, I’m gonna have to improve my patience before I get to Super Long hair Status lol but kudos…and Very awesome hair! <3

felicia
felicia

Simply Stunning

Latte
Latte

Love her hair! So glad she was featured! I think healthy 4B/4C hair is so beautiful. I do like how she kept it real on how much time it takes to wash her hair.

Ashley
Ashley

She is very pretty and I don’t say that often. She has a unique look.

Tisha
Tisha

You have gorgeous hair and you regimen is pretty simple and straightforward. I love your headbands and scarves!!

mercy
mercy

Super Long Hair” LOVE IT!!!

Angélica
Angélica

Ik zag je foto en dacht direct hey dat is VJ Aineko! Leuk om hier ook wat van je terug te zien. Leuk artikel!

Toni
Toni

Her hair is beautiful and I love her vibe. Just reading about how long it takes her to wash her hair gave me headache though. It’s kind of the reason I don’t understand the emphasis naturals place on GROWING long hair (as opposed to HAVING healthy hair). Long hair is a boatload of work. As long as my hair is healthy and I can make a bun I’m fine. I’d rather not worry about bra strap length or any of that. I was always cutting when I had a relaxer, and I’m way more likely to cut now.

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  Toni

because we enjoy long hair

Cherise
Cherise
Reply to  Toni

Because many have never had it and there’s a myth that black women can’t grow their hair long.

Lioness
Lioness

Jy is ‘n baie mooi meisie met gesond hare. Ek het die artikel baie geniet.

Interesting fact-In your country Suriname & mine, South Africa,the term ‘Boere’ refers to early Dutch settlers & their descendants. However, in South Africa,its considered derogitory & they are are called the ‘Afrikaners’. 🙂

Ashley
Ashley

My Hair wants to be like Hers when it grows up.

Reppin JA
Reppin JA
Reply to  Ashley

Mine too! 😀

LaManouchka

I just fell in love with her hair !

beauty84
beauty84

She has beautiful hair! I don’t see why a lot of people with 4b/c have such an issue with wearing wash and gos. I have 4a dense hair and I live by wash and gos. I thought the point of going natural was to embrace your hair for what it is. I know 4b/c is hard to detangle so, I wouldn’t expect women to wear it everyday, but every now and then will not harm your hair.

AnonSince87
AnonSince87
Reply to  beauty84

But who says that’s how our hair is supposed to be? If people are finding that their hair is knotting & tangling up, doesn’t this indicate the hair is not supposed to be left that way? If your hair doesn’t do that, then by all means go ahead.

beauty84
beauty84
Reply to  AnonSince87

I’m sure when u had a relaxer you wore your hair out and didn’t hide it. Anyhow some naturals didn’t go natural because they wanted to fall in love with there hair, some were desperate because their hair was damaged. So some have a problem with doing wash n gos!

taylor
taylor
Reply to  beauty84

you sound so dumb and obviously didnt get what AnonSince87 said…not everyone can do wash and gos.

Beauty84
Beauty84
Reply to  taylor

No bitch you sound stupid, since u want to act like a child and start name calling. Did you read my statement bitch?

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  beauty84

DUMBEST THING I’VE EVER HEARD LMAO!!!!!!!!

JENNID
JENNID
Reply to  beauty84

I wear wash n gos sometimes and my hair is 4c. Lets set the record straight by saying wash n gos don’t work for LONGER 4b/c hair. If it is your goal to grow your hair really long then no a wash n go will not work for you past a certain length.For one it may take you out of your comfort zone cause its not a structured look plus it is super tangly and can get matted if you sleep on it (which your not suppose to by the way).

beauty84
beauty84

And in response to your statement about you never seeing a wash and go that look good on 4b/c hair, just go look it up on YouTube. Why does there have to be a visible curl pattern for the hair to be acceptable!

Candice
Candice
Reply to  beauty84

She didn’t say anything about having a visible curl pattern being the only way for hair to be acceptable. In fact, many of her photos show her hair without any defined curls. I have 4A hair and a wash n gos for me might look good for a moment, but by the end of the day, my hair is a tangled, matted nest of hair on my head, which I then have to detangle and probably rewash. If I wear a wash n go and don’t plan to wash my hair every day, I have to put it in some… Read more »

beauty84
beauty84
Reply to  Candice

Keep fooling yourself, my hair is just fine by the end if the night. She didn’t have to say that, an intelligent person can read between the lines. It’s my opinion. A lot if 4b/c don’t like to showcase there hair for various reasons, it has nothing to do with me judging. She said she doesn’t see any 4b/c that looks good with a wash n go, how about reading before you comment

taylor
taylor
Reply to  beauty84

none of the comments youre saying makes since. im starting to get convinced that youre a moron.

D.
D.
Reply to  beauty84

..It’s your opinion? hmmm , it sounds like the young lady featured here expressed HER opinion as well when she says that she hasn’t seen 4 type hair that looks good in a wash and go. why are you allowed to voice your opinion in one breath and say that she’s wrong for her’s in another. Hypocritical much. Also just because your hair is fine with wash and go’s doesn’t mean it works for everyone. Wash and NO’S do NOT work for my hair i have kinky, coily, easily tangled hair. Soo heck no I will not be doing any… Read more »

Beauty84
Beauty84
Reply to  D.

Exactly my opinion. I’m glad I’m not 4b/c because It seems like your limited to certain things. I lovemy natural curl pattern and wash gos. I like seeing 4b/c wash n gos, it’s beautiful but it would scare me off if I wasn’t natural because people make it seem as though its so difficult to manage!

D.
D.
Reply to  D.

@beauty84… and that’s fine because if that would scare you off rather than taking the time to learn how YOUR hair would react , then you wouldn’t have lasted long as a natural with kinky hair anyway. For me loving my hair means not doing things that may be “in” simply because other naturals are doing it, I am not limited and my 4b/c hair can look just as, if not MORE fly than any one else’s be they curly or kinky headed. People need to learn to accept themselves and stop judging others so darn much…smh

Kristel
Reply to  beauty84

Just to be clear: I never said wash n gos dont look good on 4b/c hair, but i havent seen one that looks good (with that i mean: a wash n go that i like/ works for my hair). Just because i havent seen it yet doesnt mean that i say they arent out there. If you have a wash n go youtube link for thick long 4 b/c hair that doesnt take longer than 15 minutes, where the hair doesnt bundle up in 1 big dry knotted fro wich is impossible to comb trhough i would love to see it. really,… Read more »

Vee
Vee

Wat ben jij mooi! En je haar natuurlijk! Groetjes uit P’bo.

Stace
Stace

South America represent! Your hair reminds me of mine. You still look the same from as a kid…too cute!

Lola
Lola

Oh so pretty hair!!!

jalena

I am so excited to finally see another 4b/4c hair curly girl. I have 4c hair and I was just about to put a relaxer in because this heat is not the business HUNTY!! After reading her post, I will do no such thing. I have found many ways to do my hair and I guess I can stick to some half kinky curly wigs too!

Amma Mama

She and her hair are beautiful! I love the magazine picture.

.T.
.T.

beautiful 🙂

One
One

Love the hair and love the flower accessories!

krise
krise

LOVED the big natural 4C hair, and drooled over your gorgeous wedding pics as well! Thank you for being so naturally comfortable and effortless 🙂

BoogieLurv
BoogieLurv

Beauty84 maybe it’s time to stop caring so much about other’s personal choice to go natural and their hair practices, and be content with what you do. Maybe that way you’ll still find a little joy in each natural hair story, take the good with the bad and keep it moving. Your statements seem ignorant to the experience of 4c naturals, as I am one of them and can relate to what Kristel said. As this beautiful young lady explained, her hair tangles in a wash n go state, and to avoid that, she doesn’t do them, especially since the… Read more »

merry
merry

she’s so pretty.

Guest90
Guest90

Beautiful.

Shell

Loving your hair, Kristel. It’s thick and luscious. I’m going to follow you on pinterest.

hair crushin'
hair crushin'

Your HAAAIRRR! Especially the photo with the flower headband. Wonderful 🙂

PS. I’ve seen plenty of good looking wash n go’s on 4b/c hair. I think most people refrain because of the shrinkage/tangles, but there’s nothing wrong with how it looks…

JoSomebody
JoSomebody

Oh man… I really, really love your hair!

Teresa
Teresa

I admit I have been getting flustered and frustrated with my hair lately. I don’t know what to do. I’m trying to be more confident in my hair but i Don’t know how to.

Kristel
Reply to  Teresa

you will get there, trust me! 🙂 For me it wasnt easy in the beginning, but it takes time.

mani
mani

prachtigggggg..

tout sur les abdominaux gratuit pdf

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your
stuff previous to and you are just too fantastic. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in
which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it
smart. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful site.

libro factor quema grasa pdf

This paragraph will assist the internet visitors for setting
up new webpage or even a blog from start to end.

Have a look at my web blog — libro factor quema grasa pdf