A Stylist Added Keratin Treatment To My Conditioner Without Permission

Avatar • Sep 18, 2013

Heat-traning-360x414

This is what salon nightmares are made of!

In a promo for the Colorado-based salon More Than Curly, client Dianna shares her story of going to a stylist for a blow out and walking out with chemically treated hair! She declined the keratin treatment when offered it, but was given it regardless.

..She started to flat iron it and it was straight and it was shiny and I asked her, “What did you do because I would like to do this at home myself.” And then she goes, “Your hair was a bit too thick so I had to go ahead and put a little bit of the keratin conditioner in there.” And I just had a deer caught in headlights, I was like, “What?… I just told you I don’t want that.” And afterwards she was like, “But don’t worry it washes out.”

But it didn’t wash out, and Dianna’s curl pattern was destroyed. Check out the full video below:

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

KiyanniL
KiyanniL

I don’t trust stylists at time and ever since I’ve been natural, I’ve yet to patronize a salon. If you can’t do what I want to my hair, then you won’t be receiving my hard earned money.

Tartar
Tartar

That happened to me once, except he didn’t ask before putting it in. He just went ahead and as they turn you away from the mirror, I couldnt even see what was going on.

Knotty Natural

Am I the only one who got angry when I read this?? LOL

This experience is why naturals have no desire to step into the salon. I would sue the stylist and the salon!

Kami
Kami
Reply to  Knotty Natural

Lol, no. I was waiting to read the part where she punched the stylist in the stomach.

I’ve said it on here before, I won’t let someone ruin my 4+ years of hard work. My hair shows that I take good care of it. There are some stylists who specialize in natural hair and know what they are doing, but I’m not willing to bet my hair to find her/him.

Natalia
Natalia
Reply to  Knotty Natural

Angry is an understatement. That stylist would have needed the jaws of life to pry my foot out of her behind. Its not solely about the treatment; its the fact that you disrespected a customer’s wishes and didn’t follow her instructions. In this situation, the customer is ALWAYS right and should sue that stylist.

Aly
Aly

So, what happened the she sue the stylist/salon?

Aly
Aly
Reply to  Aly

Cause that is what she needs to do

Nappy4C Rocks
Nappy4C Rocks

this IS one the MANY reasons WHY many naturals do not go to a stylist…shame

Serena

I WISH someone would! There would be some slow singing and flower bringing for real! This makes me so upset.

Alisha
Reply to  Serena

There would be some slow singing and flower bringing for real!”

Lmao!!! Love this!

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  Serena

Big up to anyone who read that line and know what song that was from (no pun intended lol)

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Vonnie

i didn’t know. had to look it up lol
wow that’s just poetry right there. the biggest up goes to biggie for the lyrics.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Serena

i love this!

Flynfab
Flynfab

I hated salons even when I was relaxed. I live in a major city and I hated that I couldn’t find a reasonably priced, responsible, on time stylist that actually took proper care of my hair. Now as a natural I have to add the additional concern of possibly having chemicals put into my conditioners without my consent?? No thank you! I have been, and will continue to do my hair myself, including trims! UGH

shani
shani

I’m so glad I have several people in my family who are stylists. That way, I don’t have to worry about crap like this. This sucks! I would’ve drop kicked his butt!!

Cent
Cent

…and they wonder why most of us have gone DIY…

coffeeandfingernails

This is my worst nightmare. Going to a salon for the first time in years for a deep condition and much needed trim. Place comes highly recommended but I’m going to watch that woman like a hawk!

Z
Z

This happened to me. My hair started to break off from it, had to cut it very low. Healthy hair over length anyday, went from bra strap to twa in seconds with the cut. I was so upset and nothing I could do to the stylist who put chemicals in the conditioner. Be very careful ladies.

AFashionSlave

um…my thoughts would be to burn down the salon.

Valerie
Valerie
Reply to  AFashionSlave

Basically lol!

Cass
Cass

God bless people who really care and are the profession because they actially took courses to understand different curl patterns and textures. Unfortunately for the other ass holes out there, people qith naturally curly hair have their gaurd up so high that they will never step foot into a salon for themselves. I have heard numerous stories like these which led me to even have nightmares (LoL). I will never go to a salon. Even when i still had a perm i had already taught myself how to do my own relaxers at home, be gentle and care for my… Read more »

Cass
Cass
Reply to  Cass

I apologize for the grammar. For some reason auto correct is not willing to help a sista out (LoL)

Mai
Mai
Reply to  Cass

“Even when i still had a perm i had already taught myself how to do my own relaxers at home, be gentle and care for my own hair.” This. I believe nothing less than bad hair care has caused many black women to have short hair regardless of if they are relaxed, natural, or weaved. My hair was long and thick when I was relaxed and it was because I was moisturizing my hair at night, washing weekly, and keeping heat to a minimum. My mom also relaxed my hair, and the only negative experience I had was when I went… Read more »

Nappy4C Rocks
Nappy4C Rocks
Reply to  Cass

spite is so true

YvieB
YvieB

The SAME EXACT thing happened to me! And on top of it, a few months later when I put in braids to try and grow my hair out, a patch of my hair broke off right where the curl pattern was ruined and the straight ends were hanging from my new growth started! Now I have a patch of short hair in the back of my head. Thankfully i can kind of blend and cover. Unfortunately, I will never step foot inside of a Dominican hair salon again.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/me.jpg[/img]

K
K
Reply to  YvieB

Me too, over 6 years ago. I went from years of long, natural hair to 1‑inch in a weekend. My hair fell out in clumps. My bf, family and friends were wonderful but I was devastated and betrayed. I went in for a hot press (1st mistake) and they added relaxer to my DC without telling me so I had double straightening. Unbelievable. It was a painful lesson and the beginning of the road to being a DIY natural.

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  K

Wow that’s horrible, my story is very similar. I swear I think some of these stylists want to see us with no hair so they do everything possible to make sure that happens!

ambi
ambi

I advise everyone to start demanding to be facing the MIRROR the WHOLE time, I rarely go because I can’t trust them at ALL, and then we need to start filing civil claims against these folks, that would be like me not eating pork for religious reasons and telling someone in very clear terms “no pork I can’t eat it” and them on purpose still adding the pork to a dish cause they think “oh it makes the dish so much better” when we demand better we will get better, trust they want our money so they need to do… Read more »

Arrica

I am originally from Denver and have experienced the worst customer service from black salons in there! I have had so called “stylist” burn my scalp, leave my hair bodiless due to harsh greases, and even give me a mullet. So I eventually started going to white people to get my hair done. It was not until I met a mixed women in Pueblo, Colorado that I was able to finally find a stylist that looked like me and actually knew how to do my hair. Now that I am natural I am even more protective of my hair treatments… Read more »

Just Saying
Just Saying
Reply to  Arrica

Sheesh!! I am about to move to Denver from NYC!!!!! Thanks for the heads up. I won’t even bother looking for a stylist.

DIY till I die!!!.…lol

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  Arrica

Honestly, some of the best stylists I’ve been to were white, sad but true.

Sassy
Sassy

You definitely have to be careful with some “stylists” out there. Not everyone who claims to know how to do natural hair, knows how to do it PROPERLY! Sadly, I’ve had two bad experiences from it. Now, I’m ALL about the research and DIY care method. It’s taken me too long to care for this head of hair to let someone come and snatch me bald with some nonsense.

Cynthia
Cynthia

She can get her curls back. Using beer to wash hair will get her curl pattern back.

Nappy4C Rocks
Nappy4C Rocks
Reply to  Cynthia

um what? beer wash?! Miller Lite or Budweiser?

tina smith
tina smith
Reply to  Nappy4C Rocks

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vonnie
Vonnie

I could imagine all 26 of the years I was raised in the projects of SE DC reflecting on my speech & actions if this happened to me.….smh…

Aly
Aly

This is giving me heart palpations. I can’t even imagine. I would have flipped. Completely FLIPPED OUT on everyone in that salon.

Knotty Natural
Reply to  Aly

I would have grabbed the nearest hot comb and got to wind-milling!

Renee
Renee
Reply to  Knotty Natural

LOL!!!! What a image!

bohemiana
bohemiana

She better sue their pants off and set an example for the rest. That is why I stay out of salons. the last time I went into one to have my hair blown out the stylist was relentless on my natural hair! She did not take her time to comb through tangles. I feel like she was angry that I did not want some kind of chemical in my hair. Additionally she used some kind of product that stripped all the oils and moisture from my hair it was straight arid. I do my own hair and it saves me hundreds… Read more »

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  bohemiana

I have a similar story to the lady in the video. Had my hair damaged twice, once by a perm and second by someone using a keratin treatment that I TOLD THEM I didn’t want. Slowly my hair fell out and became so thin in certain areas and the stylist wanted to act like she didn’t know what was going on and like it was my fault. I SO wanted to sue her, but you know what, you reap what you sow, and now she’s running around begging for clients, so she got hers. Thank God I have found someone… Read more »

MS VEE
MS VEE

I have cancelled 3 appointments because of nightmares about this. I wanted to see what my length was and get it pressed professionally. NO one should go against your wishes when you are paying them for a service. If I have to start over with my hair journey its my choice and not someone else forcing me to. SMH
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/039.JPG[/img]

Coco
Coco

Wow that’s so bad! I got a keratin treatment a few years ago for my prom and it didn’t have any negative effects as far as I could see (then again, I did have color damage so maybe I just couldn’t see the difference). I’d definitely sue. Take pictures, go up there and get a refund and more for the damage she caused your hair. You’d probably be better off just doing it yourself and using some oils as a heat protectant for shine and softness.

samirah

I’m one of those who never liked going to the salon anyway. I always came out with a migraine from the chemicals. I don’t think I have ever went to a stylist who really showed me how to care for my hair. I had one tell me that I didn’t need a relaxer just a nice blow dry but yet she kept relaxing it. Never showed me how it would look if I just did the blow dry etc. I’ve been natural for two years and in the beginning I looked at H.A.M. I didn’t know what to do with… Read more »

Deb
Deb

Sue. Some stylists stil don’t get it. Maybe she’ll learn her lesson after that.

Jesse
Jesse

Huuuh!?! Sue her. Oh my gosh.

Mimi
Mimi

I, myself carry the keratin treatment and love it. I have long hair and have been relaxer free for 2 years and ad you can see in my picture, keratin STRAIGHTENS pretty good! First and foremost, there shouldn’t be ANY STYLSTS doing other ” experimental” styles on clients. The keratin treatment will definitely straighten your hair and she should have told the young lady instead of proceeding with what she felt was easier. I explain to all of my clients before they decide to get the keratin, that it will straighten their hair and is it what they really want.… Read more »

Mimi A
Reply to  Mimi

Hey Mimi, what is your hair type? Maybe the more defined your curls are the more likely it is to wash out the curls…

tina smith
tina smith
Reply to  Mimi

it’s a chemical and you are no longer natural. nothing is going to wash it out. people please educate yourself on this and the harmful side effects it causes. just because the chemical isn’t on the ingredient list doesn’t mean it’s in there

Shelly
Shelly

Had s stylist flat twist my hair for a wedding and when she was through, SHAVED the the hair left out at the back of my neck and below my ears. SHAVED it when I was turned away from the mirror. SHAVED it when the other bridesmaids saw it and said nothing. I thought she was brushing it cuz the other stylists that I have been used to do that. Needless to say when the flat twists came out, my hair was too short to comb into anything so I have this rough patch of hair towrds the sides (still… Read more »

Naeisha
Naeisha
Reply to  Shelly

How much money did you get in the lawsuit? Lol I would have went crazy!

TMal
TMal

The video wouldn’t play, so I didn’t get to see the state of this girls hair, but I don’t understand how keratin could destroy her curls. It is protein and not permanent. Yes the stylists was wrong for going against her wishes, but destroyed, #Confused

Deb
Deb
Reply to  TMal

I don’t know either but I’ve heard alot of keratin horror stories. This includes non black women with curly hair.

SJ
SJ
Reply to  TMal

These “keratin” treatments contain a little bit and of keratin in them.…..OH, and formaldehyde. The formaldehyde is what breaks down the curl pattern to make it easier to stay straight… but it also can damage hair elasticity permanently, depending on the specific head of hair. Sound familiar?

tina smith
tina smith
Reply to  SJ

gee a relaxer ding ding. educate them cause they don’t know. that stuff is not good

darkchildlovethyhair

That’s horrible.Why go against your client’s express wishes? That’s why I have decided to avoid going to salons as I embark on my HHJ.No time for crap

Confused
Confused

I’m hearing a lot of nightmare stories regarding keratin treatments, is it a form of a texturizer like the Brazilian version?

Tiff
Tiff

I WOULD HAVE BEEN PISSED!

Rhea
Rhea

I’d sue. She asked the stylist not to do it, and she did it anyway. Then she gave an assurance that it would wash out and it didn’t. 🙁 Poor thing.

Jennifer-Rose

Keratin conditioners DO NOT STRAIGHTEN the hair. They minimize frizz. If hair does not revert to curly, you have heat damage from the iron, not the conditioner. Most keratin treatments only reduce frizz and shrinkage, they do not straighten the hair. Keratin treatments are extremely expensive for the salon. We don’t tend to give the product away for free. Keratin conditioners, however are readily available and I use them freely. They have no permanent effects and are perfectly safe. This sounds like a case of heat damage.

K
K
Reply to  Jennifer-Rose

A KERATIN TREATMENT is a RELAXER! We’re not talking about Vidal Sassoon conditioner that throws around the marketing term keratin to sell more glycerin/cones, etc. We’re talking about the unregulated CHEMICAL RELAXER that comprises the Brazilian blowout treatment. From your post it seems you either work at a salon that carries keratin treatment/conditioners or work for a company that sells them. Don’t devalue this woman’s experience trying to run PR.

JENNID
JENNID
Reply to  K

I think you n Jennifer rose are talking about two different things. She is simply stating that keratin conditioners aren’t the samething as a keratin treatment. In the video the young lady stated that the stylist mixed some keratin conditioner in with some regular conditioner. I think she was meaning to say treatment not conditioner. A keratin conditioner will not give you a sleek blowout that relaxes your curl. These are two different products being talk about here. They are not interchangeable.

Dabney
Dabney

I remember this guy convinced me to get a texturizer. It turned out terrible!! My hair never curled it was like she said limp. That was the last time I went to a salon. That was in 1993. I think she should sue but how is she going to prove it? it was her word against the salon. Wow! That is horrible!

Anon
Anon

Where is the video link?

Channing
Channing

Your hair was a bit too thick so I had to go ahead and put a little bit of the keratin conditioner in there.”

Seriously?

Now what if she had decided to go ahead and put a lil bit of her foot up your a** cause your head is too thick to understand the word ‘no’?

Honestly, I’m not even the flip out type but that right there would’ve set me all the way off, then after I went home and saw my curl pattern was ruined, only Jesus himself would’ve kept me from going back in there and shutting sh*t down.

Rain
Rain
Reply to  Channing

Looooool!

Caramel
Caramel

Many black hairdressers are of legend.….bad legend!!! We all have stories and have heard stories from minor things like over trimming or more like mowing to leaving on relaxer on for too long and leaving permanent damage and we laugh but it really isn’t funny! We are supposed to be educated now! We are supposed to have made great strides in the workplace but yet when it comes to bad service in a salon, we seem to do nothing but spend our energy ringing round friends trying to find a solution to whatever rubbish they’ve done. Its time we stopped… Read more »

Nappy4C Rocks
Nappy4C Rocks
Reply to  Caramel

+100

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  Caramel

I agree Caramel, I’ve been burned too many times, literally, by ignorant, incompetent black stylists, male and female, and then their dumb behinds have the nerve to get an attitude and act like it’s “yo’ fault” for your hair being messed up. I think it’s time too that we start naming and shaming some of these folks and put the word out far and wide so that people will stop going to them until they clean up their act. When they’re on the verge of shutting down I bet they’ll act right then, or be standing in the unemployment line.

SantanaNyla

I once had a stylist give me a curly perm and then he did the big chop.I loved the look.…but it grew back really thick and full. He decided that he needed to thin it out-he put a relaxer in and left it in too long. My hair broke off and fell out. It’s been years since I’ve gone to a stylist. I get offers all the time with promises to tame my locs-no thank you.

D.K.

Jimminy crickets, I am so sorry for you. What a job. I didn’t see the video but I’d advise going to a lawyer. It may sound like that’s taking things too far, but if you bought a 20 inch tv and the store delivered a 12 inch instead because they thought that would work better for you, no one would take that mess. Plain and simple, it’s not right! Whoo, don’t even get me started.

vertmoot.blogspot.com

kisha
kisha

I use a keratin 30day treatment by organix once every blue moon and I have never had a problem. If I no longer want to wear my hair straight (from the blowout and flat iron) I simply wash my hair (even if its only a week later) and my fro is back in action. It has actually helped define my curl pattern a little. But again everyone one’s hair is different and I only use it once every blue moon. I can straighten my hair without it and it turns out just as well but I dislike how it can… Read more »

tina smith
tina smith
Reply to  kisha

THAT DOESN’T SOUND NATURAL TO ME SOUNDS LIKE A TREATMENT, WHICH IS WHAT THIS PERSON DIDN’T ASK FOR.

Spirit
Spirit
Reply to  kisha

I have used it to and have had no problems but the reason for that is, the one by Organix has no formaldehyde or any other chemicals. The ones these ladies are getting does…

Cami
Cami

I. Would. Have. Been. LIVID! I’ve been growing my hair out for years now, haven’t used heat for the last 4 years, and my curl pattern/texture is everything. To ruin that from the use of a product by an incompetent stylist that I said I didn’t want in my hair in the first place — this is precisely why I don’t go to hair salons. The way I see it, it’s my head, my hair, and my money, and ain’t nobody touching my hair but me. #SheaMoisture24‑7

Tabatha
Tabatha

I understand that the stylist was possibly thinking that she was being helpful ( maybe not), but the girl said no chemicals and she snuck some in on her. That is mistreating the customers trust in you as a hairstylist. You are a hair dresser a professional, so you need to figure it out when people ask for no chemicals. My hair dresser is a tatted up white male and when I decided to go natural a year ago it scared us both, but he stuck it out and when it came to combing, he took his time, lol I… Read more »

Monica
Monica
Reply to  Tabatha

You have to see where your family is coming from in terms of a white stylist. Most black professionals don’t know how to treat natural black hair, so why would white stylists.

Ms. Curvy
Ms. Curvy
Reply to  Monica

You are totally correct, I attended cosmetology school and in order for the white students to have ANY practice on our hair texture we had to volunteer to be their guinea pigs. Black people are the ones teaching them how to care for hair, Because we have a totally different here structure then non Black people.

GiGi_POKi
GiGi_POKi
Reply to  Tabatha

My stylist is a white woman and she does my hair SO well! Then again, her daughter is half black, and she specialized in textured hair anyway.

Vivien
Vivien

I hate when that happens, I don’t understand why hair stylists don’t listen to the person that’s actually paying them? I don’t like chemicals on my hair either, I mostly use argan oil shampoo and conditioner by pro naturals because it’s healthier.

Angie
Angie

This happened to me! I was 21 at the time. I was visiting NYC for a few days and I decided to straighten my hair at a Dominican salon. I had previously only been to salons three times in my life because my mom always straightened my hair at home when I wanted and later I learned how to do it myself. I told the stylist I did not want my hair treated, no relaxer. I asked her when she was going to condition my hair what product she was using. Everything seemed fine. Until three days later, back home… Read more »

TWA4now
TWA4now

Not all stylist know what is best for your hair. A lot of stylist think they know what is best for a natural hair gal, but a lot of times they don’t and it could be I’m their first client! I can appreciate them telling me they don’t know vice experimenting on me. One stylist kept insisting I get a tex-laxer I said NO then she put a protein treatment in my hair and it was so hard she forgot to deep condition (now I know)and my hair style was in a pineapple type and she added hair spray :(…:(

Timara
Timara

Having had a keratin treatment in the past, I can completely understand the frustration of having someone do something to your hair that you specifically did not request. Although I enjoyed the keratin treatment, I stopped it because it did change my curl pattern. I ended up BC’ing again to get my original curl pattern back, so, again, the stylist was wrong for doing what she did. If she couldn’t/didn’t want to do her hair, she should’ve said so instead of what she did.

jessybabe
jessybabe

When I did my BC last month I will admit that I was afraid of letting my old stylist do it. I keep it as simple as possible: comb, cut, wash/condition and that’s it. I didn’t go for the special wash treatment or anything

cherishbomb

Atrocious. I wouldn’t pay for something I didn’t ask for that ruined my hair. They would just have to be mad and take it out if the stylist’s pay. I’ve officially been scared away from a professional salon visit when I’m ready to straighten. How dare she take liberties with her hair? Now, let the shoe be on the other foot and see how it plays out… smdh. I’m livid.

Monica
Monica

It would have been great if she actually named the salon and the stylist. It makes it easier for people to avoid them.

Adore

Somebody would’ve gotten sued.

Brandice

what is the treatment she was getting done in the chair in this video?

Jay
Jay

I would beat the brakes off of her and i would not pay for the services. Women that choose to tame their seemingly unruly hair with keratin is a choice. In this case, because the stylist didnt want to be bothered with her hair, she treated it to benefit herself.

Marsha
Marsha

One question…what product was the hairstylist applying to her hair to make her natural curl pattern pop?

Emmanuela
Emmanuela

I would have flipped out…the nerve of a stylist to do exactly what I said I didn’t want and then tells me oh it’s okay it’ll wash out. What??? I said I didn’t want it. I wouldnt pay for it bottom line. A girl I use to be friends with had natural hair her entire life went to a salon to get a blow out and the stylist felt it would be to difficult to handle so she talk her into a deep conditioning. But what she did was mix in a relaxer with the condition and had her sit… Read more »

Shimon
Shimon

This is why I’m always hesitant to go to random stylist listed on the internet. Lucky for me I know people who would take care of my hair and not ignore my wishes. For me this isn’t really about the treatment working or not as much as it’s about respecting the client’s wishes.

Marion
Marion

This may be beside the topic but I have been scared away from salons after contracting a scalp infection and losing hair. My stylist of more than 4 yrs admitted later on that the salon hygiene was not what it was supposed to be.I do not intent to ever go back.Thins that people do your hair.….

Nappychique
Nappychique

do your own hair…unless you really know whose hands are in it.

Erica

That happened to my 7‑yr-old for one occasion. We went to the salon to get her hair to look like Cleopatra’s to go with her costume for school. It was straight, but when I washed over and over for the next year I finally had to cut off the ends that were apparently chemically-treated. We vowed to never put that stuff in her hair, and against our knowledge, it had been done! I was highly disappointed, and so was my daughter.

IsaKe
IsaKe

As much as keratin cost…if someone put it in my hair I would gladly take it. It washes out…so it’s not a chemical. I’ve had keratin and if hair is shampoo’ed with a poo shampoo it will snap back. When I’ve had a keratin I can wear my hair curly or straight, never losing my curl pattern.

BJB
BJB

I’ve heard and read about instances like this and so I’m really afraid of going to typical salons now. I fear after the style is old and needs to be refreshed, my hair will not be/act like “my hair” 🙁

No thanks, I’ll just stick to braiding salons from now.

dee
dee

LAWSUIT! Sue that B****! You told her you did not want that and she did it anyway?!!? And you suffered heat damaged hair. You better call People’s court or Jugde Mathis.

LaLa
LaLa

OMG this happened to me on my birthday! She was trying to convince me to get a Keratin treatment. I said no… when leaving, I overheard her telling another stylist something about Keratin. So I asked, I’m sorry, what product did you use in my hair?? She went allll around the world to tell me that she used a keratin line. I was sooo pissed. NEVER going there again. I was praying for calmness because I was snapping off in my mind! Smh This is why I do my own hair!

Cinnamondiva
Cinnamondiva
Reply to  LaLa

I’m so sorry that happened to you…and on your birthday! It isn’t right for them to put something in your hair without permission. The only people who are allowed to touch my hair are my mother and a lady I trust (she has been doing my hair for about 3 years now).

I’m not a fan of salons at all, because some folks just don’t listen and they will do things to your hair that you don’t want them to do. I hope your hair is all better now.

raray
raray

We would have had one of those “YOU GOING TO JAIL NOW”!!! Moments up in that jynt!

Sashatu
Sashatu

I am so scared of going to the salon to get my hair done!

Roland's
Roland's

I’m infuriated! After all the time, years and tears I commited to growing my hair and keeping it healthy, you’re going to turn around and lie to my face and put chemicals in my hairs after I said not to. Oh no I wouldn’t be happy. She should have sued!

Miss Cee

No means no! That was rape because the stylist took away your natural curl pattern. She should know better as a professional. I can see if you were open to the suggestion and had told her that you will leave it up to her, and who was her to tell you that your hair is “too thick?” Too thick for who? 🙁 I consult with my clients and give information and leave it up them but at least they would make an informed decision.

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/1236483_10201890447452227_1718700499_n.jpg[/img]

Ijeoma
Ijeoma

The same thing happen to me. It was about 3 years during my senior year of high school. I had been natural for 3 years and I wanted to keep it that way. When I went to my stylist, I asked her to wash,condition and flat iron my hair. But in the process of conditioning my hair she put a Brazilian Keratin Treatment conditioner in my hair. After a week of wearing my hair straight,I decide to wash my hair, I loss my curl pattern from the root to the end, it was more wavy with a loose straight ends.… Read more »

Ijeoma
Ijeoma
Reply to  Ijeoma

My stylist was also claim that my hair was too thick to try to flat iron and work with. I guess she was being lazy that day, but I’ve found a new stylist now and she has worked wonders!

trackback

[…] A Stylist Added Keratin Treatment To My Conditioner Without Permission […]

carley
carley

Im curious how long did it take for your heat damaged hair to return to normal? Ive had a similar experience weeks ago and the damage was so bad i had to have big chop number 2 after growing a lovely sized fro that I was happy with. Even though i have cut most of it off again there are still some straight bits unfortunately 🙁

jeanettesdaughter
jeanettesdaughter

Not at all surprised. So sorry for your loss. People do not get that our natural hair is as important to us as…the others. I’ve been wearing my hair natural: short cut, big afro, braided — no extensions, braided with extensions, blow out fluffy pompadour waaaaaay before Janelle Monae, etc. for years and years. I do use salons every now and then, mainly the salon schools but I always try to stay well informed about products and the active chemicals in them. I used to take it personally: living in and resisting a straight hair, loosely curled hair preference society… Read more »

Simple Natural
Simple Natural

You talk sense man, that’s why it’s always pisses me off when some of us said, “I want this same curl pattern, what did you put on your hair to have this or that curl bussiness ” you know what I mean, it’s like society had brain wash so many of us, for them you either have straight hair or curly hair regardless of your skin colour, we can’t have kinky hair or big afro hair, it has to be straight or curly like mixed race people. Thought society had “so called” put an end to slavery we are still… Read more »

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reply to  Simple Natural

So why can’t I choose not to chemically straighten my hair ‚but like the way thermally steaightend hair moves and feels and NOT be true to who I am…I’m true to the choice to like my hair to move and a have style I’m comfortable with…no one else. That’s WHO I AM. My choice to like it that way can NOT be judged.

Lala Fisher
Lala Fisher

Wow…My heart just dropped into my stomach!! I always take my own hair products when I go to the hair salon, always!! And I always do the same thing — one wash (with my co-wash so that it doesn’t get tangled — I my own shampooing at home cause not everyone knows how to wash naturl hair), and then put in some leave it, and style. I would sue like it was nobody’s business.….

Christine
Christine

Definitely sue her!! That’s a total breach on her part. And you have been harmed. Definitely sue!

Shakilla
Reply to  Christine

haha, Rachel, I usually call Alan’s prtenas that too because I don’t know what to call them! I think I’m going to join the rest of the 21st century though and start calling them by their first name.

Karimah Boston
Karimah Boston

I’d sue that woman for criminal battery! Her client specifically declined a chemical treatment that would cause long term damage and the stylist did it anyway. Textbook assault and battery. I ‘d sue in civil court for fraud and financial damages. That chick, her employer and every stylist lazy enough to think of doing something like this again should know there will be a heavy cost for their actions.

Eboni
Eboni

But you wante your hair straight and they put a treatment in your hair that got it straight. You even asked how they did it so you could do it at home. What’s wrong with waves that are easier to get a comb through? It’s not like you couldn’t twist your hair to get tighter coils again. It’s crazy to expect all stylist to be able to cope with varied and to a degree ‘difficult’ black hair. Especially when they need time for other customers. A Brazilian blowout is different to just putting I keratin shampoo or conditioner though. Blowout… Read more »

Finn
Finn
Reply to  Eboni

The problem was she specifically told the stylist she did not want a Keratin treatment. While some discretion is left to the stylist, if a client tells you specifically that they do not want a specific treatment, you listen. Putting any kind of chemical in a clients head without consent, and with explicit instructions NOT to, is grounds for losing your license. If the woman in the video so chose to, she would be within her rights to sue her and the salon, and she would most likely win.

Marcia
Marcia
Reply to  Eboni

I agree with you Eboni.… I have been in the salon with sisters with natural hair who want hair that is straight as a board with no assistance from hair products. It is insane. It is like have 1 inch hair but you want a style like Beyoncé…without the weave! My hairstylist is constantly frustrated. Some hair texture is so course and unruly that it needs help. What she can’t seem to make them understand is with the extreme heat that it takes to straighten it, there is going to be damage anyway. Once I was there, and the girl’s… Read more »

raquel
raquel
Reply to  Marcia

Shhh.…

Ms LiLi
Ms LiLi
Reply to  Marcia

You must be a stylist. This woman was informed with what keratin treatments are and she said NO! If a stylist is unable to properly care for natural hair including a Kinkier texture than she needs to be honest and say so. Not go against this woman’s wishes. Your logic is flawed

Sarah
Sarah

I haven’t had that happen but I have had stylist give me bad cuts or use too much heat on my hair causing for my pattern to change in certain parts of my hair. I have had more bad experiences with stylists than good so much so that I dread going to a salon to get my hair done. I’d rather do it myself but I know the light dusting that I do myself for my ends isn’t enough.

ayeesha.h
ayeesha.h

Hey guys, i used some keratin treatment on my hair after washing and conditioning .i had no clue that it is not good for natural hair . And im freaking out as i just watched this video. What can i do to rejuvenate my hair . Please Help !!

Isa
Isa
Reply to  ayeesha.h

How is your hair doing since the treatment? Did it bounce back yet? Clarifying shampoo should be able to remove some of the treatment.

ayeesha.h
ayeesha.h
Reply to  Isa

It kinda did. It got curly after the third wash.

Icy
Icy

I had been natural for 3 years when I finally decided to get a Keratin treatment, upon the understanding that it goes away after 3~4 months. Seeing that my hair takes any kind of humidity and immediately goes to a fro state, regardless of what products I use, I was elated to try it! It did just as advertised, my hair was Bone straight, and I was thoroughly pleased with the results, until I realized that I had to repeat the straightening process every time I washed my hair…and the my curl pattern loosened so much on half my head,… Read more »

charmaine
charmaine

Well my thoughts on this is when you go natural that means you embrace your natural hair. Even now with women being natural they are still not satisfied with their hair, still insecure, and still do WAY too much manipulation to their hair. Leave the straight hair alone.

Jess
Jess

Correct me if I wrong, but isn’t the human hair (and skin) made of Keratin? I mean the hair is made up of cuticle, cortex and medulla. The cortex is Keratin bundles. I have never had a Keratin treatment done to my hair before. So is there something that they add to the treatment that changes the sulfide bonds and essentially breaks down the bonds changing the hair curl pattern. I have used Protein treatments like Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment or Aphogee Keratin 2 minute Reconstrcutor with no problem. SO I am a bit confused to the Keratin Treatment… Read more »

Belroe
Belroe

Is this national “hate salons” day? smh!!

Clarissa Evans
Clarissa Evans

Um, DO YOUR OWN HAIR!!! Don’t know how? Click on youtube, problem solved.

Uncurly DIY Brazilian Keratin

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/SamanthaVonYouTubebuttonebaytest.jpg[/img]
Our clients love Uncurly because it gives them the option to wear their hair curly (slightly loosened curl pattern) or straight (with minimal heat). Best of all, it resists frizz by repelling humidity, and it super-conditions hair AND strengthens it against breakage so that they can grow it much longer than before. No one has ever complained about a destroyed curl pattern–it just doesn’t happen. Uncurly gradually washes out over 3–5 months and costs $20–30 per treatment instead of $200–500 at a salon.

Jennifer
Jennifer

Never tried this treatment — but I heard you are not suppose to wash it for the first three days!!! I’m sure there’s a reason for that and I wonder if that contributed to the damage.

Aurora
Aurora

This is a BS, scaremongering article. You want to blow dry and flat iron your hair and expect no heat damage?? but yeah blame the keratin conditioner for your problems. I expected more from this website.

rainbow
rainbow

Wish they existed in NY

Donness
Donness

Dealing with this now. I have previously had blowouts and did not lose my curl pattern but a month and a half ago I tried out a new natural hairdresser who said she was giving me a special conditioning treatment…curls are in shambles
:(. Im not sure why the other commenters are in their feelings mad at a video that cld save someone a headache. Haters are everywhere these days. This is serious and Im pissed.