3 Ways to Use Amla Oil on Natural Hair

Avatar • Aug 24, 2013

dabour_amla_00ml

Via Essentious.com

Amla oil is a natural substance often used to promote hair health. Some people also use amla oil to fight hair loss and prematurely graying hair. When used as a hair treatment, amla oil is typically applied directly to the scalp.

Amla oil has long been used in ayurvedic medicine. Featuring a number of essential fatty acids, amla oil is thought to strengthen the hair follicles and condition the hair. It can also help treat dry, itchy scalp. Besides essential fatty acids, amla fruit are high in vitamin C, flavonoids, polyphenols, and also contain water, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.

How to Use Amla Oil on Hair

1. Amla oil is often applied after shampooing hair and used in place of a conditioning product. When used in this manner, amla oil is typically massaged into the strands so that it completely covers hair (from the roots to the tips). It can be covered with a shower cap. After sitting for 15 minutes or more, the amla oil is then thoroughly rinsed from the hair with warm water.

2. Applying amla oil to the scalp can help with dandruff or soothe a dry, itchy scalp. The oil is massaged into the scalp daily and rinsed out after 15 minutes, or it can be left on the scalp overnight before being washed out. To prevent staining, pillows should be covered with old towels or an old t‑shirt or a shower cap can be worn.

Amla oil can have a strong, musky smell, so it may not be suitable as a leave-in conditioner or styling product unless used sparingly.

Amla Shampoos and Hair Powders

Although pure amla oil is commonly used as a hair treatment, amla oil is also featured as an ingredient in shampoos. In addition, amla extract is available in a variety of hair powders.

3. Some people also create their own hair treatments by combining amla powder with warm water so that the blend achieves a paste-like consistency. When applied to dry, clean hair as a hair treatment, this mixture is thought to increase the hair’s softness and thickness.

Where to Find Amla Oil

Widely available for purchase online, amla oil is sold in many natural-foods stores and in stores specializing in Indian products.

Ahuva
Ahuva

You have to be very careful when buying Amla oils, only because a lot of them like the Dabur brand actually contain mineral oil as well.
if you don’t mind infusing your own oil, then buy amla powder and let it infuse with one of your favorite oils and use it that way.

Sure
Sure
Reply to  Ahuva

Based on my own experience, Mineral oil just like Petroleum Jelly, Sulphates and Cones is not all bad. It depends on how your hair responds to them. I use Alma oil containing Mineral oil quite a lot for pre-pooing. It does a great job of preventing the shampoo from stripping my hair of natural oils.

Just like any other product I think it’s about what works for one person may not work for another.

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  Sure

IT’S NASTY

Adrienne
Adrienne
Reply to  Sure

you’re completely right it does depend on the person bc I know I cannot allow anything with mineral oil or petroleum near my scalp without a serious case of the itchies! but if it works for you I say go for it 😀

Em
Em
Reply to  Ahuva

That’s great insight. THanks for the advice. Do you recommend where Amla powder can be purchased? Health food store, maybe?

shelikes
shelikes
Reply to  Ahuva

this is one of the best comments i have seen on this blog since i first started reading it. i do not use any oil on my hair unless it says pure or 100 % pure on the label.

Ronni

I’ve found that that Amla Gold oil has a more pleasant scent than the original. It’s supposed to be for relaxed hair, but I use it on my natural hair with great results.

Trichup
Trichup

Awesome information you have here. I’d like to see more of this and on other topics as well. Good to have a splendid blog such as this! Cheers!
Best Herbal Shampoo for Dandruff and Hair Fall

Alwina
Alwina

Awesome article! Thanks for sharing!

Karen
Karen

How does one infuse a powder into an oil?

Dabney
Dabney
Reply to  Karen

I tried it this way. Take a table spoon of Amla powder, add it to warm coconut or grapeseed oil, strain it with a coffee filter and apply to your hair. If this not your cup of tea, then just buy Vatika oil it has Amla in it.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/124_0903.JPG[/img]

Dabney
Dabney

I like to mix my Amla oil with Coconut and grapeseed. I use it as a hot oil treatment before I cowash. That way it’s not so overwhelming. Also Try mixing it with Queen Helene or some other thick deep conditioner. My hair is a lot stronger since I have been using it.

Shampoo for long hair

Sure these three are the easiest way to use this oil for natural hairs. I need better more ways to use it.

millycent ndava
millycent ndava

i just bought this amla oil in zimbabwe yesterday and i want to know hw it is used since it has no instructions on it

l.fredo

I went straight to the Indian store! Also got a shampoo bar! Also it can help darken your haur. I use mine as a deep conditioner. Makes my hair extremely soft!

Paulina
Paulina

Can I leave de Amla oil on my hair for days

Rene
Reply to  Paulina

I left it on my hair for a week. It did not break or shed. I am discovering that is also good for the ends with just putting just a little … not much … but just enough.

Kadie
Kadie

Heard a LOT of great things about this Amla oil but I have yet to find a brand that doesn’t dilute it with mineral oil or some other oil that just suffocates hair and weighs it down. I just gave up and bought Pro Natural’s moroccan argan oil and it’s great! It’s not greasy at all and the smell is lovely. You guys should give it a try. 🙂

Candice Pegram Garcia
Candice Pegram Garcia
Reply to  Kadie

Use the amla powder form with organic coconut oil ‚water and lithium .

Yolanda
Yolanda

I purchased jasmine amla oil from butters-n-bars.com. I’ve only been using for a little bit so not sure of its improvement to my hair. My hubby likes the smell a lot!

Akram
Akram

How to wash it thoroughly from my hair using just warm water? So difficult

Rene

I love coming to your site when I need to find out something about hair and the best products to use, or for suggestions and tips. You never let me down!!! I was just introduced to Amla Oil because of a large amount of stress I am currently under which affected my hair. I first used the Amla oil massaging it into my scalp. Then I mixed some of it with my shea butter leave in conditioner and wore my hair up for a week — no heat whatsoever, and I did notice an improvement. No hair shedding or breakage.… Read more »

trackback

[…] hair loss and damage.  I was told about Amla Oil.  When I was first introduced to it I went to Black Girl With Long Hair to read what she had to say about the oil.  The article was written back in 2013, but she presents […]

trackback

[…] Check here: http://bglh-marketplace.com/2013/08/3‑ways-to-use-amla-oil-on-natural-hair/ […]