Robin // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 16, 2013

image_2 copy

Introduce yourself!
R:
My name is Robin. I grew up in Pennsylvania. I live a healthy lifestyle and fitness, nutrition and hair care are my 3 passions. In January of 2010, I made a decision to start taking care of my natural hair and I started a Healthy Hair Journey/Waist Length Hair Challenge. My hair length was shoulder length at that point. In December of 2012, I achieved my goal of waist length hair (so it took me 3 years). My current hair length goal is hip length hair.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
R:
I transitioned from relaxed to natural at the recommendation of my hair stylist. I was getting relaxers and lots of highlights. My hair was becoming very weak. My stylist said eliminating some of the chemicals I put in my hair would help to make my hair stronger. So I transitioned. Honestly, when I was transitioning to natural, I was still going to a salon getting my hair blown out and flat ironed every week. Not until January 2010 did I start truly concerning myself with ‘hair care’. I’ve been natural for a little more than 10 years.

How would you describe your texture?
R:
Mostly 3C with some 4A in the front. A mix of fine and coarse strands.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
R:
90% of the time I wear my hair in protective styles such as two plaits, French braids, braid out loose buns and half wigs. Throughout the week, I re-moisturize my ends as needed. I sleep with a satin scarf or bonnet at night. I put direct heat on my hair about once every 3 months, getting a blow out and flat iron. On a daily basis, I drink about a gallon of water a day, eat well balanced meals and take a multi-vitamin.

image_7

What does wash day look like for you?
R:
I shampoo and deep condition my hair once a week. I begin the process by detangling my hair with my Tangle Tamer hairbrush. Next, I pre-poo with extra virgin olive oil and sit under a hooded dryer with a plastic cap for about 15 minutes. After that I shampoo my hair with Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Clarifying Shampoo. Rinse. Then I deep condition with Giovanni Deeper Moisture Conditioner while sitting under the hooded dryer with a plastic cap for about 20–30 minutes. Rinse. Lastly, I detangle and moisturize.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
R:
At the moment, a part down the center of my head with my hair in two plaits is my fave quick hairstyle. (Honorable mention to a braid out high loose bun or a half wig).

How do you combat shrinkage?
R:
I have serious shrinkage. But I don’t really worry about it or try to combat it. I just let my hair do its thing.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
R:
It took me about a year to find a regimen that my hair responded well to. One consistent issue I have is trying to get that 4A section of hair in the front to lay down. My hair usually does well the 1st couple of days after wash day. But after that, it’s still a real challenge. I’ve tried 20 different gels. The only ones that seem to work make my hair very hard, which I don’t like. Also, I work out 5 days a week and I’m sure that contributes to my struggle with that section of my hair.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
R:
For me, deep conditioning and moisturizing throughout the week as needed has shown remarkable results.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
R:
Excessive combing or manipulation of my hair can be detrimental to retaining length.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
R:
Currently, I can be found on Instagram @msrobin_nella. I just joined in April 2013. I post daily and I’m all about fitness, eating healthy, healthy hair tips, positivity and empowering women. Check me out! I have a lot of exciting things in the works. I’ll be showing up on other forms of social media very soon. So stay tuned!

About Meosha

D.K.

Shout out to P.A.! Nice hair and outlook (awesome fitness photo); also like the curls.

vertmot.blogspot.com

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

You have beautiful hair 🙂

Amma Mama
Amma Mama
Reply to  Amma Mama

And you seem well disciplined with your hair regimen and healthy lifestyle. Wonderful & Admirable. I suck at both but I am a working progress & I am on my way 🙂

Rachel
Rachel

Your body is insane, get it girl! Love that pic of you at the gym as a female lifting weight an yet still feminine with your curls flowing!

Just me
Just me

Glorious mane and physique! It’s great to see a Black woman accomplish these 2 goals. Truly inspirational!

Sankofa1
Sankofa1

Love your hair but would rather have those abs!!

Shannon Russell
Shannon Russell

Way to go, cousin! You are truly an inspiration! Keep it up! You have, and do impact more lives than you know. So proud of you!

love gena
love gena

Between the hair and the abs, I can’t tell which one is better.

Coconut + Cream

Well, Black Girl Long Hair yes indeed! If ever there was a personification of the word. Lovely!

C+C

serena
serena

I live in pa too! what salon do you go to? and how often do you trim? I ask because I am always looking for a stylist who actually gives good hair care tips not just style your hair and take your money, so its great she recommended you go natural because your hair was unhealthy.My hair is shoulder length so maybe in 2 years I will be where you are! I like that your hair regimen its very simple.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

You look like Pocahontas! GORGEOUS HAIR sis, keep up the good work!

ema
ema

beautiful hair and body 🙂

Jailyn
Jailyn

Your hair and dedication to fitness are inspiring!

Anndi
Anndi

Her hair is beautiful!!! And Not that it matters, but I think she has totally mis-hair typed herself. She honestly seems to be a 2c/3a!! Her hair is more wavy than anything…unless her pictures just don’t do her curls justice. But like i said, it doesn’t really matter lol

cb
cb
Reply to  Anndi

hmmm 2C/3A? really?…interesting

SJ
SJ

“On a daily basis, I drink about a gallon of water a day, eat well balanced meals and take a multi-vitamin.” <—And this, ladies and gentleman, is where healthy hair begins and ends…Everyday, I see more and more naturals with long hair,some with healthy sheen and vibrance, and some with dead scraggly looking ends. But what caught my attention about this woman is that her is not only long, but it also looks very healthy and radiant. Anyone who protectively styles and takes meticulous care of their ends can grow hair to long lengths. But this interview is proof that… Read more »

DiJah
DiJah

Wooooooooo! Look at all that hair!!! Is it too much to handle? I refuse to let my hair pass bra strap length because my hair is very thick and it’s a handful to detangle, so I dabble between shoulder and bra strap length. I also have the same issue with the front of my hair and the only gel that tame it is Eco styler, which I’m no longer a fan of — too hard on my hair in the winter. I picked up some hicks edges yesterday and it was a fail :/ Anywho… Keep up the good work (both fitness &… Read more »

Coley Cole

So, who else grabbed a glass of water when she shared that she drinks a gallon a day? I did. *raises left hand* Gorgeous girl and hair!

Valerie
Valerie
Reply to  Coley Cole

Lol im drinking water right now!

A.J.
A.J.
Reply to  Coley Cole

Me too!!!

hmm
hmm

Nice hair and pics. How much do you lift?

Jailyn
Jailyn

This is my second time reading her story along with my second time commenting. I’m still inspired. What really caught my attention this time was her mention of using half-wigs along with some of her other protective styles. I have adopted more protective styling into my routine (I’m a student so you think I would’ve embraced the time saving advantages of PS ages ago but.…)I used to wear half wigs while growing out damage from an excess of chemicals. It’s an option I have been considering going back to — the one caveat being that I would prefer one that… Read more »

Anonty
Anonty

Is it just me who likes it when the icon’s relatives come on to support! Great body, going back to read!

sa
sa

Gorgeous hair!

LaToya
LaToya

ok so about those abs.…. What an inspiration! You are beautiful mind body and spirit!!

Leanne
Leanne

I wonder if she trims her hair alot? She didn’t mention it but her hair looks healthy and gorgeous so whatever she is doing is working.

rolanda
rolanda
Reply to  Leanne

Hey, I follow her on Instagram and she doesn’t trim a lot, maybe a couple times a year.

Love JAH
Love JAH

I’m so jellie.…what a beauty!

RukiyatG

Whoo chile! That hair & body, fab! Kudos to you for reaping the benefits on the outside of a healthy lifestyle from the inside. Keep up the good work!

Mika

That hair and that body? Wow. Amazing.

hairscapades

Gorgeous lady with gorgeous hair!! And, this was so resonant to me because I’ve been on a fitness journey the majority of my life, but have been in a yo-yo for the last decade that I’m trying to break now. So, I set a personal fitness goal to workout a minimum of 10 minutes a day for 28 days straight back in February, that has now turned into a 365 Days of Fitness goal!! So, I actually have been working out every day for the last 157 days .… sometimes for only 10 minutes, but most times for 25 min… Read more »

Natalia
Natalia
Reply to  hairscapades

hairscapades — your hair is gorgeous! You need a feature! I’m a fitness girl too and struggling with how to style my natural hair, workout and still maintain a corporate look. I work in a very corporate environment and cannot wear two plaits — which is why your idea of turning them into a braided bun post workout was a huge “Aha” moment for me!! How do you keep your hair moisturized mid-week? I’m so dry 2 days after a wash! (Wondering if its due to sweat?) You’re gorgeous — your hair is gorgeous and I’m so glad they Robin… Read more »

hairscapades
Reply to  Natalia

Hi Natalia! Thank you!! I actually have been featured on here :). But, it was a good 2 years or so ago :). I also have my own natural hair blog of the same name (Hairscapades.com) that you should be able to access via the hyperlink of my name :). I have an old post on Exercise and Natural Hair on my blog too. In regard to keeping hair moisturized during the week, I actually don’t have much problems with that and don’t tend to have to remoisturize too often (maybe once or twice). This is because I think my wash… Read more »

hairscapades

Oh!!! And I also reached waist length and am trying to get to HB/TB length now!!

Linda

Your hair is beautiful and so long! I can’t wait to achieve success like your hair. And I’ve also realized that transitioning to natural is truly a learning journey. I discovered how to eat right, water is my new best friend,a multivitamin and working out does equal to happy long healthy hair over time:)
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/0403185202.jpg[/img]

Dina
Dina

Now that is what i call a healthy woman. strong, healthy body and natural rich hair. i’m truly inspired.I have a long way to go and i cant wait to start my natural journey 🙂

Dina
Dina

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Dina@Doppio‑1.jpg[/img]

Gracie
Gracie

To me, her hair don’t look natural (as in very curly), neither does it look chemically treated. I think it looks something in the middle but I must say, it is so BEAUTIFUL!! I aim for hair like this. It is now what I’m going to aspire to. (my hair texture is like this by the way but WAY shorter).

Kayla
Kayla

Beautiful hair. I’ve been trying to achieve hair at waist length and it’s a real challenge. Seeing wonderful people like yourself with such fabulous hair is so inspirational. And it’s awesome that you like to stay in shape and keep fit and healthy…unlike myself.

trackback