Kelly Osbourne Rocks Bantu Knots on The Talk

Avatar • Jul 30, 2013

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 7.11.17 PM

Talk about a style crossing over! Kelly Osbourne showed up to The Talk today (where her mother serves as a co-presenter) rocking bantu knots! I have to admit that up until today I had only seen black women rock this look. But it’s quite cute on Kelly! What do you think ladies?

964468_551503981553211_1484733298_o

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 7.00.15 PM

Michelle Stepp
Michelle Stepp

Rock it girl! I think that’s just fine. I don’t feel offended in any way. In fact it makes me as a woman of color feel flattered. Reminds me of the saying ‘Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery’.

Ev`Yan
Reply to  Michelle Stepp

I agree! Now if she showed up in blackface, that’d be a different story…

Peenk
Peenk

Thats not cute.

Theatergirl79
Theatergirl79

They were actually pretty big in the 90’s. Gwen Stefani and Bjork used to wear them all the time. 🙂

gapch
gapch
Reply to  Theatergirl79

agreed. so many things get recycled in popularity. love gwen stefani and no doubt

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  Theatergirl79

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SURE DID

MrsGlam
Reply to  Theatergirl79

I was about to say the same thing 🙂

Jacky
Jacky

The hairstyle is so cute on Kelly,she is rocking that look

juanicole617
juanicole617

Initial thought — I like it! Fits her personality! 🙂

Jesse
Jesse

Yes, I love it! It feels like a huge node to ’90s fashion as well. Nice Kelly.

pw
pw

Umm-she has purple hair-bantu knots are not a big surprise! Lol

Alisa
Alisa

I don’t feel offended at all. Does it look cute? It’s not ugly, but it’s not flattering on her either. It looks…okay. I think African American women rock Bantu knots better than any other race who wears them. Same for cornrows, locs/dreadlocks, etc.

locdnatural
locdnatural

I noticed this a couple of months ago. She likes to rock her Bantu knots on fashion police as well.

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  locdnatural

I was going to say the same thing. It’s funny bc I didn’t think twice about it then… I like it, she’s always had her own vibe/style.

ShadowQueen
ShadowQueen

This is not anything new, so don’t whip out the Kumbaya candles and sing “We Are the World” just yet. As TheaterGirl79 said, rockstars in the 80’s and 90’s rocked this same hairstyle quite often. And like them, Im pretty sure Kelly didnt rock this as homage to African/Black style. She probably doesn’t even know they’re called Bantu Knots.
In my opinion, she looks laugh out loud horrible.

deb
deb

can i just say that i love there are three women of color/non-white women on this show.

tef
tef

it looks better on the 90’s and 2000’s with gwen stefani

Natasha
Natasha

It’s cute and the purple adds a little flair especially without the fun outfit.

Terri
Terri

I love Kelly’s bantu knots. She proves that it is not just a “black girl hairstyle”. Rock on, Little Ozzy. By the way, Sheryl Underwood looks bad…with and without the wig…

gapch
gapch
Reply to  Terri

why all the disrespect towards sheryl underwood?

hmm
hmm

Um.… Pretty sure she wouldn’t even identify it as “Bantu Knots” Smh. So we’re going to claim she was paying homage to the natural community? lol. I guess Jada was too when in the matrix, huh?

Nappy 4C Rocks
Nappy 4C Rocks
Reply to  hmm

yes, thank you for bringing up ‘The Matrix’

T.
T.
Reply to  hmm

Um.… no, nobody’s claiming that she’s paying homage to the natural community. It’s not that deep. The post is just pointing out that sometimes white folk wear bantu knots (or corkscrews, or whatever you want to call them) too.

pynkstarr

I loved it.… not only do i love Kelly but i also loved her hair today. I forgot my girl gwen stefani rocked these back in the day…hmmm i wonder what other cultures call them!?

ivicoco
ivicoco

this isn’t really news because she always rocks this style..but still super cute!

Elaine
Elaine

Gwen stefani has done this… And I definitely don’t think this is only for black women!

Zee
Zee

They look ridiculous.

Layla
Layla

Wtf is wrong with you people?Are we only allowed to comment that her hair looks nice(it does not look good to me)cause whenever someone say they don’t like it their comment gets a thumbs down…smt ugh.

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  Layla

Maybe it’s the way the comment comes across… But, yes everyone should be allowed to hair their own opinions.

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  Tracy

Everyone should be able to voice their own opinions**

Stephanie
Stephanie

I can honestly say, I never liked her hair color. I feel it ages her twenty years, it looks old school granny blurple …that being said, this color with those knots actually makes her look punk, which is more in line with her rock roots… survey saaaaays… “not bad” 🙂

honeydipped in black
honeydipped in black

Bjork used to to rock this look in the 90’s, it looks cool. I definitely agree with the punk statement…its alot more interesting that everything she has been doing of late… shes been abit boring apart from the purple. I preferred her when she liked to look more unique. yes i like it.

I love most every African originated hairstyle/technique.
In Jamaica and therefore the UK they call them ‘Chini Bumps’… just thought I’d let you know.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tumblr_moaol5wpP61r67j3jo1_500.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tumblr_motq9lBzQi1r5k0q6o2_500.jpg[/img]

Stephanie H
Stephanie H

urgh i’m tired of hearing black this, white that… Kelly has bantu knots and some might think it looks good on her and others might not but why do we have to have arguments about race? who cares?? does it look good on her or not?? that should be the only question.

Mina
Mina

Why is cultural appropriation considered noteworthy?

CeCe
CeCe
Reply to  Mina

Is Mina kidding? Cultural appropriation is done every single day, by every single culture. Mina, can you honestly tell me that you don’t do, or say, something that has been culturally appropriated by another culture? Africans had temples in their ancient kingdoms and so did the South Americans, we know both cultures travelled and LEARNED from one another. I’m pretty sure, once in your lifetime you straightened your hair, did you want to lay claim to STRAIGHT HAIR? Or how about this, cornrows, bantu knots, locks of such which is worn by many black woman and men in America, came… Read more »

Minks
Minks
Reply to  CeCe

I think she meant that making an issue of what different ethnicitys are allowed wear is silly and people should get over it. You’re on the same page ladies. 🙂

Mina
Mina
Reply to  Minks

No I didn’t and no I don’t think we are.

Thokozile
Thokozile
Reply to  Mina

I am with u on this one, Mina. This is not cause for celebration. Hardly.

BlueTearDrops
BlueTearDrops
Reply to  Mina

Well, it IS a hair website…

Pbailey

I find Sheryl Underwoods Magenta tresses far more intriguing.

Treezy F Baby
Treezy F Baby
Reply to  Pbailey

YES!! I’m sitting here like, ya’ll just gon’ ignore Sheryl? Lmao. But cool ‘do to Miss Osbourne. Cultural appropriation happens in more ways than one.

Karjiana
Karjiana

I love it. That’s awesome that someone of another race is celebrating our hair.

Tiff
Tiff

Anyway.…

Tiff
Tiff
Reply to  Tiff

I don’t consider this a celebration of our hair or even noteworthy. Nor do I understand why it should matter to us if were.

Oh Allah please don’t turn this into when Sarah Jessica Parker wore bamboo earrings and make it “okay” and “acceptable.”

Kesha
Kesha

WE can’t have nuthin’ (yes, i used a double negative for emphasis)…cornrows, then dreadlocks, now bantu knots…i think to myself every now and again SO MANY “PEOPLE” DON’T LIKE ME, BUT THEY WEAR AF/AMER. HAIRSTYLES–LIKE ME…THEY LAY OUT IN THE SUN ALL DAY–TRYING TO LOOK LIKE ME…

jade
jade
Reply to  Kesha

I understand the point you are trying to make but what about the hundreds of millions of black women worldwide who exclusively wear “European hairstyles”? Looks worn by white women (ponytails, bobs, blunt bangs, pixie cuts, list goes on…) that they could never achieve without a relaxer, a wig, a weave or extreme heat manipulation? The number of white and other non-black people desiring to wear cornrows or dreadlocks is minuscule in comparison. Pot/kettle.

NZinga Dee
Reply to  jade

You make a good point but historically we haven’t denigrated european culture & aesthetics and then in the next breath, co-opted them. That’s what is done to us ALL DAY, errday. Full lips–ugly on us but ooh on Angelina Jolie…cornrows became chic b/c of Bo Derek…so yes, all cultures borrow. But there seems to be a certain group that seems to love to appropriate and co-opt from others; pass it off as their own– all the while denigrating the culture it came from originally. That’s my issue.

Naturalbeauty
Naturalbeauty
Reply to  NZinga Dee

Wonderfully and beautifully said, NZinga Dee! Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Queen Tyrisha

I thought Kelly Osbourne wore her hair like this before years ago?

Ola Mae
Ola Mae

I’ve always liked Kelly Osbourne’s style. She is never afraid to step out and be different and I admire that about her.

Princess
Princess

Somebody missed the 90’s — this is really nothing new and it’s limited thinking to believe a hairstyle is race or culturally exclusive. Anyone complaining should address weaves and relaxers and what could be considered an obsession among some of us who are wanting long flowing hair we can swish like Becky. It’s just a hair style, chill

Kelcie
Kelcie

I’m not a fan of wearing Bantu Knots out the house, so I really don’t care who created them, who wears them and/or how they look with them. I just like when you take them down and the styles you can wear! IJS.…

Pat
Pat

I like them!!

k-jo
k-jo

I think she looks cute!! Cultural shmultural. We can have bone straight, relaxed/weaves so why can’t she do the Bantu knots?

None of that history crap either. This is now.

Denise
Denise

Kelly looks great!

Preshest
Preshest

This comment has nothing to do with Kelly’s hair (though I do think it’s cute). I am more excited over the fact that I can view the gallery again lol!!!! For a minute I could not view it on my computer but it’s back!!!

kinshasha
kinshasha

the 90’s? try the 70’s when punk rock began. i’m old enough to remember way back when. styles always get recycled every 20 years. most of the stuff being worn now, I wore in middle school or high school when big chopping and going natural was avant-garde. its’ the circle of life (cue music)!

KeyiraJ
KeyiraJ

Shouldn’t she take them down? I thought you unwrap them before you go out?

Kani

People make this into such a big thing. It’s a hairstyle, it’s nowhere near that serious. I love Kelly, and here hair looks adorable; that’s it.

Ellie
Ellie

I’d be more interested to see them taken down. I’d bet the style would be pretty. 🙂

tasha fierce
tasha fierce

Kelly looks fabulous as always.

trackback

[…] celebs such as Kelly Osbourne rocked bantu knots last year. So what’s the big […]

trackback

[…] celebs such as Kelly Osbourne rocked bantu knots last year. So what’s the big […]

trackback

[…] celebs such as Kelly Osbourne rocked bantu knots last year.  So what’s the big […]

Nicole
Nicole

I don’t like this. AT ALL. Stop stealing our culture.

Monii Babes
Monii Babes
Reply to  Nicole

Who do u think u are to even say that? Don’t black girls perm their hair? Get outta here with that foolishness. She can style her hair anyway she wants. Don’t be a hater.