Funmi // 4B/C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Apr 9, 2013

20130315151519655

Introduce yourself!
F:
Hey there! My name is Funmi and I am an 18 year old originally from Nigeria. I currently live in Austin, TX as a sophomore at the University of Texas at Austin.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
F:
Funny story actually…I decided that I wanted to have natural hair at the age of 14. Prior to my decision I had relaxed hair since I was about 6, partly because the decision was up to my mother and also because I wasn’t aware of any alternatives. When I became cognizant that relaxed hair was a choice and not a necessity, I decided that I would try that alternative. I started paying attention to the very few natural people that I saw in school and the media. I loved the volume and length that I saw in their hair. I also loved the way my hair looked right after I took out cornrows and wished I could keep that big hair. The big push that caused me to go natural was that at this age, I was at a stage where I wanted to “find myself” and desired to do anything that would set me apart from those around me. In a culture where relaxed hair was incredibly prevalent, having natural hair was one way that I could achieve this goal.

Looking back, I think this was pretty shallow and now this has pretty much backfired since the “natural hair movement” began right about this time. Having natural hair has become much more common. Despite my self-centered intentions, I discovered that I love my hair natural simply because it feels right to me. I am glad I’ve learned to take care of my hair the way that God gave it to me. I am happy that I am able to embrace the beauty that he naturally intended me to have despite the opposition that I may encounter. I don’t have to worry about getting my hair wet, if it looks straight enough, if it is lying flat enough on my head, and even about combing it everyday. Despite my happiness with my own decision, I am a firm supporter of black women wearing their hair in a manner they feel suits their lifestyle/personality/personal taste. I transitioned for 15 months and I have been completely natural for 2 years and 8 months.

How would you describe your texture?
F:
To be honest, the hair typing thing confuses me, but I think that I have 4b/4c hair. I have the typical “African hair” texture…hair that’s so tightly coiled it couldn’t be any more coily. My strands are medium sized and according to every single hairdresser I have ever been to and every friend I have, I have high density or thick hair. For some reason, I like to tell myself that it is medium density since it’s all I’ve ever dealt with before. My hair also grows fairly slow. Instead of growing at a pace of 6 inches per year, I discovered that I get 4 inches of growth per year.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
F:
After washing my hair, I set it for a twist out. I wear that twist out for as long as I can (usually about 2 weeks) then when there is absolutely no definition left, I pull my hair into a low ponytail or bun and leave it there until I’m ready for another wash. I’m pretty bad about adding products to it during this time. I usually add a little of my leave-in as needed during the course of the month. This is my routine because I like to keep things simple, but I have to keep my hair stretched.

photo (1)

What does wash day look like for you?
F:
Wash day comes with much dread. When the day finally comes, I have already been procrastinating for a few days prior. Anyways, I separate my hair into six sections before washing. I take down the sections one at a time, wash it, then put it in a twist. After washing each section, I do the same process again with conditioner. While I condition, I detangle each of the six sections one at a time with a wide tooth comb. Then I rinse out the conditioner. I then put my leave-in conditioner in and do a twist out. My twist out method is the same that Napural85 uses in the Twist Out 101 video. I make about 25 flat twists on my head and take them out the next day. I have been playing with shampoo and conditioner combinations lately, but my staple is Crème of Nature Sunflower and Coconut Shampoo and Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Deep Conditioner. I also use kimmaytube’s leave-in conditioner recipe (on youtube) minus the aloe vera juice.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
F:
I must admit that I’m a rather simple girl. For me, this means a ponytail or bun.

How do you combat shrinkage?
F:
I keep my hair stretched at all times. I repeatedly wear twist outs.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
F:
I have a tender area between my crown and nape due to a scalp burn from a relaxer when I was about 10. My hair is more sensitive and slightly thinner there. And by thinner, I mean that it’s probably normal hair density instead of high density.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
F:
Regular moisture is a pretty big do. My hair is naturally dry…and I mean REALLY dry. Even after I moisturize it, it’s still pretty dry. This makes me believe that I may have not perfected this aspect of my hair care regimen, but I’m on my way! Also, keeping my hair stretched is a must!

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
F:
Wash and go’s are a HUGE don’t. If I want to keep my sanity during detangling sessions I have to keep my hair stretched at all times. My hair is just too long to wear it in its afro state anymore. Combing my hair too often is also a waste of time and hair. I usually comb it once every 2–3 weeks whenever I wash it (I know it sounds crazy). Lastly, I have to be careful with heat. I have straightened my hair twice during my natural hair journey. My last encounter with the straightening iron was November 2011. I used the highest heat setting on the Babyliss Straightening Iron (I believe this was 450F). I used heat protectant and had a cocky attitude that my hair would come out fine. Unfortunately, I got some permanent heat damage and humbling from this experience. Oh well, you live and you learn! And on the bright side, blow outs seem to not affect my texture at all!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
F:
Follow me on Tumblr at http://oluwafunmilayo.tumblr.com/ where I talk about my journey with Christ. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 1st Peter 3:3–4

About Meosha

Hey there I am African
Hey there I am African

I actually enjoyed everything about this interview, it felt like a conversation <3 Africa

Nomski

Loved this! If only I were patient enough to grow out my hair. Thanks for sharing!

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

I love Funmi’s hair, smile, and spirit–super inspiring!

Jojo satoes
Jojo satoes

Luv ur luscious locs Funmi!

Camille
Camille

Very lovely .

bspycee
bspycee

Great article! love your hair and your spirit! I am on my way to hair like that.

Shirley
Shirley

Hi Funmi! I have a very similar hair texture/type as you do and I had the same issue about the dryness but then I made a shea butter mixture with white African shea butter to be exact and I mixed it with all the good oils i could find in my house plus a few store bought ones: olive oil, safflower oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, and grapeseed oil. I mixed all these oils into my shea butter base and on wash day after I co-washed my hair really good(I co wash every week), I twisted my dripping… Read more »

Reply to  Shirley

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I will definitely try it out.

taurusdragonfly
taurusdragonfly

Beautiful hair!

mlank64
mlank64

She reminds me of another nigerian youtube/vlogger named Tina. Gorgeous hair.

Alisa
Alisa

Wow! Great interview! Funmi is beautiful, and I loved all of her hairstyles 🙂 I love how thick and gorgeous her hair is!

jjac401
jjac401

This is a REALLY good interview! What a beautiful full head of coily hair!

Toni
Toni

Yes Ma’am, it’s definitely thick. lol. You have gorgeous hair and a beautiful, mature spirit. I enjoyed reading your interview. I would love to hear how you handle this high humidity. (I’m a fellow Texan; Houstonian to be exact)

felicia

Wow ur hair is divine I have exactly the same texture as urs . One day my hair will be as beautiful and big as urs

nnezy
nnezy

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Love her hair!!

JanJan
JanJan

Great story and beautiful hair!!!
And I’m proud to see a fellow Longhorn sharing their natural hair story.…
Hook ‘Em!

Esther
Esther

Love the interview and for once, i thought she was directly talking with me about her hair journey. You are beautiful and your hair is beautiful also. What is more beautiful of all is the spiritual quote * inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 1st Peter 3:3–4* sort of restore a sudden tranquility instantly after reading it. Love you and God bless you more.
Naturalness is unfading!

msboogee
msboogee

African hair??

shelikes
shelikes
Reply to  msboogee

she seems like a very sweet girl…but i agree with you. there are many african women with beautiful hair. specially those who have never worn chemicals, weave, heat etc. the lack of knowledge and acceptance of labels is deep. young black women know your history, please.

msboogee
msboogee
Reply to  shelikes

The ignorance continues theres on such thing as. African hair

Janice
Janice
Reply to  msboogee

Why does someone always have some sort of negative input? Take that somewhere else.

Nicole
Nicole
Reply to  shelikes

I dunno she’s African so her hair is African, no?

Eloisa
Eloisa
Reply to  Nicole

It’s funny how people get their panties in a bunch by the fact that she calls her hair African (which is what afro-textured hair is. Hello, where do you guys think the word AFRO comes from?). But when a black woman buys 50–11 pounds of Asian hair to sow to her head everybody knows what she means, even though not all Asians have the same hairtype. Smh.

Candi
Candi

Your hair is beautiful! God bless you!

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

She is pretty and I love her hair!
Gorgeous smile 🙂

Nancy
Nancy

I like her hair color! And she seems so positive (:
Great interview!

thin haired nigerian
thin haired nigerian

Why does it seem like every Nigerian but me has thick hair (density/strands) o.O Gorgeous Funmi!!

MM
MM

I thought i was the only one!

chi
chi

me too!

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

My sister doesn’t! But I got my thickness AND hers! Lol!

neosolediva
neosolediva

Gorgeous girl with some gorgeous hair!!!!!!!!!!

annie
annie

great hair funmi. finally..my hair can relate. but anytime I do my twists they always stand on my head really don’t know if its the stage of my hair or am doing something wrong.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG-20130225–02478‑2.jpg[/img]

Jacky
Jacky
Reply to  annie

I think that you should try holding your twists down by tying a scarf on your head for some time before you untwist(i wear a satin scarf at night over my twists and then i untwist in the morning,also smaller twists and flat twist outs give me better definition)

annie
annie
Reply to  Jacky

Thank you Jacky, that really does help.

Jacky
Jacky
Reply to  annie

You’re welcome dear.

Stace
Stace

You have been growing your natural hair for 3 years, and from the picture where you are stretching it , it looks to be about bra strap length. On me that is 18 inches, so it appears that your hair does grow 6 inches a year.

Alllsmiless
Alllsmiless
Reply to  Stace

She might be short. The same length of hair looks differently on different people because of height differences.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Alllsmiless

I am short too.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Stace

I don’t even understand why someone is putting a thumbs down. She said her hair grows only 4 inches Im saying ” hey, you may be down playing your progress, you look like you’re right on target with the average 6 inches” So in other words girl you are good. How does someone take a positive and turn that into a negative??? Serious question…awaiting reply.

Ray
Ray
Reply to  Stace

I think you may have gotten a thumbs down because the way that your statement was written. It doesn’t have a positive spin. I had to read this one to understand your point. I think this woman might know her hair more than you do — even from a picture. Your statement above says that she doesn’t — from your point of view. As the other commenter said, she could be short. And your bra strap length could very well be 18″, while hers may not be. There was so much more to this beautiful woman’s interview than to focus on… Read more »

Nix
Nix
Reply to  Stace

Point of correction: Funmi’s been natural about 4 years.

I transitioned for 15 months and I have been completely natural for 2 years and 8 months.”

15 months (transitioning) + 32 months (post-transitioning) = 47 months

So she’s probably accurate in estimating 4 inches/year. Could we please stop fighting now and get back to ogling her gorgeous hair?

Reply to  Stace

Hey there… I probably should have replied earlier. When I big chopped.. I had 5 inches of growth at 15 months. Now that I’m at 48 months I have a bit under 16. (Ive probably trimmed a total of about an inch)
And I’m 5′ 6″ (:
I just made the comment about hair growth speed to encourage others whose hair grows at about the same speed as mine. Just so they will know even though it may take a while your hair will eventually get there.
Have a good one! And feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

nikki
nikki

love love LOVE this interview! my hair texture is similar to hers, seeing her hair means there is hope. Absolutely beautiful hair and spirit!

Reply to  nikki

I’m grateful to inspire someone else with my texture. There is hope! (:

anna
anna

Girl I think your hair is beautiful and so are your spirit and story
(but there is no such thing as typical african hair, all hair is different babe)
xoxo from Paris

Reply to  anna

Can’t argue with that. People in Africa have all sorts of textures! I’ve been able to see much variety through traveling and observing my friends’ hair. From the wavy hair of North Africans, to the curly hair of East Africans, and the kinky hair that most West Africans have. I know there is much diversity even between those groups, I guess I was appealing to a stereotype through my comment.
Have a good one!

Jacky
Jacky

Lovely post and gorgeous hair,i’m falling in love with my 4c hair even more.I love your personality and that scripture you put at the end of the post was lovely.

AFRICANSFOLYFEEE
AFRICANSFOLYFEEE

THATS MAH GIRL RIGHT THEREEEEE! LOVE YO BIG HAIRRRR!

Saye
Saye

I love her hair and she is down to earth!

Natasha
Natasha

One of my favourite interviews. Great hair. You represented us 4c women very well!

Della
Della

OBSESSED.

udpatrick
udpatrick

Hi Funmi, I just read about your gorgeous hair and I love how you use this medium to tell people about our loving Jesus Christ. I already fell in love with your hair and can’t wait for mine to grow out like that. I went natural about 6 months ago and I intend to remain that way for now. Please can you help me with tips on how to manage and properly take care of my hair to be able to achieve what you got? I am a Nigerian so I want to believe we have the same kind of… Read more »

Reply to  udpatrick

Hi there! I actually started out with 15 months of growth when I cut my hair, so I don’t have my personal insights to taking care of natural hair that is shorter than this. All I can do it sort of guess what I would have done. The frst year that I had natural hair, I wore protective styles. I wore kinky twists for a few months, then started wearing protective styles with just my real hair. after this year, I started playing more with twist out techniques. I think factors contributing to my hair growth was not wearing single… Read more »

stace
stace

If someone does not understand what someone else is saying all they have to do is ask for clarification. I am not saying that she is wrong and I am right, I am making a suggestion. I too am short, for all of you who keep reiterating that she may be short,I am short as well, and 18 inches on me is actually just below bra strap. Im making the suggestion because I too used to have that similar thought. No matter how long my hair gets it never really looks to me as long as it is,or like it… Read more »

stace
stace

In the grand scheme of things rate of growth is not the be all and end all to life, but if someone is looking to track progress, or determine whether they are exeprienceing breakage then knowing how much hair you grow in a year is benefitial and necessary. If I know I grow 6 inches in a year but find I am only retaining 3 and I haven’t been trimming then I know there is a problem.

Beetle Juice
Beetle Juice

You are so beautiful!!! And I love you hair, so beautiful. Beautiful,intellegent,and inspiring!!!:-)

Kisha
Kisha

pretty hair
love how thick it is.

dami

Lovely interview, very inspiring.

Aico
Aico

Finally someone with hair I can relate to. Maybe mine will look that awesome one day.

Miriam
Miriam

Do you have any pictures of your hair with the twists? I love the look when you take the twists out and I wanted to see what you did to get that look.
Thanks!

Reply to  Miriam

No, I don’t have any pictures. ):
But this video may give you an idea of what it looks like.

As
As

Great article and great hair but there’s no such thing as typical African hair and i think it’s very important to state that here before people start running with that phrase. Otherwise, go on with your bad self girl! 🙂

By the way, I’m a Naija chic and natural.

Shell

Beautiful hair, Funmi!

Aisha M. (@Cosmoaisha)

She’s so cute and her hair is stunning! Sounds very much like my hair too

umarie

your hair is just like mine 😀 relaxed hair feels mandatory where i live too. (dominica) i watched girls with relaxed hair and it scares me for most girls have baaad outcomes. im sticking to my natural hair, and fumni, you’re hair rocks! especially the locs

Reply to  umarie

Yeah even with more and more people becoming natural in the US.. I still get opposition. Especially from my family. I’m being stubborn… But it’s about the right thing!
Love the hair God gave me. (:

Hannah
Reply to  Funmi

thanks funmi, you’re an inspiration.….…God bless

MrsGlam

Cute girl, cute hair!

Alwina
Alwina

Hello from a fellow Yoruba sister! Love the scripture quote at the end!

Stay blessed,

Mojisola 🙂

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Super gorgeous hair!

Jena
Jena

Funmi your hair is very beautiful. I also decided to stay natural at age 14 when like you I discovered that relaxing was a decision and not mandatory. I’m not finding it easy because I don’t know how to style my hair. I have about 6 inches of hair( all in one year) . I’m also Nigerian but I live in Nigeria so I’m kinda scared of wearing my natural hair out because of peoples reaction. It was easier when my hair was shorter cause then i wore my TWA with pride and I got compliments.

Reply to  Jena

Hey Jena,
In my own personal experience, negative comments are unavoidable. Most of them actually come from family and older Nigerian aunts and uncles. I feel like its something that you shouldn’t be surprised about if the issue comes up. Just keep you head up, love the way you look, and be confidence.
I started out with about 6 inches and remember I was REALLY clueless about what to do with my hair. YouTube became my best friend at this time and I recommend it to you as well.

shelby
shelby

YES! Finally I have found a hair twin!!!! When you say “naturally dry” you couldn’t have been more SPOT ON. Moisturizing heavily is honestly the way to go for our hair and with 4c, it’s not the smartest to rock a wash ‘n go. Like.…at all haha. I am Nigerian too (Igbo) and I have been natural for 2 1/2 years. My hair DOES NOT grow fast. It has grown only 4 inches a year like yours Funmi and while this may be due to my inconsistency in a hair regimen, I am determined to gain more length retention by my 3 1/2… Read more »

Reply to  shelby

Hey there!
I hope my posting was of some help to you. I’m happy were hair twins! Its great to know someone else is going through a similar journey. Congrats on making it thus far (:
If you want to contact me, please send me your email address through my tumblr inbox (:

Sibongile
Sibongile

Beautiful hair 🙂

youngin girl
youngin girl

I must have missed this post. I don’t know how long I have been coming to this site. I want to say two years but your hair is so volumious, lush and a give-away. I could melt and even though I am way late, You have princess hair. Now here’s your crown.