Sasha // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Mar 16, 2013

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

sasasasas

Introduce yourself!
S:
My name is Sasha. I am from New York, but I currently live in Florida.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
S:
I’ve been natural now for about two and a half years. I went natural, because relaxed hair was boring to me and I wanted my hair to be curly.

How would you describe your texture?
S:
I have extremely thick hair. My hair is 3c in the front, 4a in the middle, and 4b in the back.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
S:
I usually twist or braid my hair at night while it is wet; then I take it out in the morning. Wearing my hair down is the easiest style because my hair is a lot to grip. The products I use are: shea butter, coconut oil, and Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner. I haven’t found a regular conditioner that I’m really stuck on. I’ve tried basically everything, but my current conditioner is by Sukin.

photo-586

What does wash day look like for you?
S:
I normally shampoo my hair once a week. I co-wash, then I’ll braid my hair and call it a night.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
S:
If I don’t have too much time I’ll refresh my old curls, or I’ll use only bobby pins and create a large bun.

How do you combat shrinkage?
S:
I don’t have a noticeable shrinkage problem.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
S:
The back section of my hair is my driest, so I tend to use more oil and shea butter there.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
S:
Lots of moisture, and just when you think it’s enough…add more.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
S:
The pineapple. The best way to preserve my curls is to use a satin pillowcase.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
S:
Yes, check out my Tumblr: www.sashisuwoo.tumblr.com.

About Meosha

Toni
Toni

You are so pretty and you have a very fresh face without makeup. You have nice, thick, and fluffy hair.

Sassy24
Sassy24

Love your hair

Karen
Karen

This has to be the shortest responses on “Style Icons”, she didnt have much to say did she want to be interviewed?!?!?

Pompeii
Pompeii
Reply to  Karen

That’s funny i said the same thing.….BUT she is beautiful and so is her hair.

BrinkyDinks
BrinkyDinks
Reply to  Karen

You took the words out of my mouth!

V.B
V.B
Reply to  Karen

Maybe her regimen is just simple…everyones practices vary…

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  Karen

YES VERY DRY

beautifulAjike
beautifulAjike
Reply to  Karen

Maybe because she has found what works for her and stuck with it(?)I’m guessing. But i love how very simple her regimen is. And she has absolutely gorgeous hair and shes lovely too

jjac401
jjac401
Reply to  Karen

I think this is a good interview! She is straight and to the point. It doesn’t always take 1000 words to break a thing down.

snare
snare
Reply to  Karen

At first, I too was thinking, “Wow, that was short!”
But honestly, she answered all the questions and if I keep it real, her answers were pretty much the same as what mine would be… I mean, if the hair is dry…put more shea on it. BOOM.

I actually wish more of the icon interview answers were a little more straight to the point and direct sometimes

jungfrau1010
jungfrau1010

Gorgeous hair and beautiful woman. You seem to be a woman of few words, however your answers were concise but still quite informative and helpful. Lovely interview.

verona
verona

OMG…stop hatin, everyone! MAYBE she has a life outside of her hair. Succinct and to the point is always better than long-winded and drawn out, IMO at least. Sasha, you’re gorgeous.

Karen
Karen
Reply to  verona

Its not hate ITS MY OPINION…maybe they could have interviewed someone who wanted to talk! EVERYONE has “life outside of her hair” BUT this is a website DISCUSSING HAIR!!

BrinkyDinks
BrinkyDinks
Reply to  Karen

I agree. I’m not hating either. She’s pretty with nice hair. No one is denying that. It’s just that there have been other naturals with simple regimens but they still explain why they do this as oppose to that, the errors they made. The whole point of these interviews (IMO) is to help others find regimens or make improvements with their hair care practices. How can one benefit from something that is meant to be helpful when there is no detail?

snare
snare
Reply to  verona

I think we are all just used to some of the hair icon write ups to be a little more “personal” maybe? Sprikled with a little story of the dye job from hell or some fancy recipe for whipped shea butter spread, etc. etc… That tends to make them longer and more like full features. While I enjoy the charismatic gals who could write a book about their “hair journey” and the trials of being a “product junkie”, I liked this one as well! Sasha’s routine and products are more in line with my reality so this was a nice… Read more »

keisha
keisha

beautiful woman and curls!

indiajade
indiajade

IMO most of the responses of the Style Icons profiled are too long winded, so I tend to skip most of the answers as it goes into too much detail. I read all of her answers because they were to the point.

Cleo
Cleo
Reply to  indiajade

I’m just like you lol I like how short her responses were.

Kesi
Kesi

like the diversity of our hair that we love and make us come to this page, the diversity of expression of ourselves represent us as well. Beautiful young lady.

shelikes
shelikes

healthy hair, healthy brown skin, slender shoulders. ultimate example of black women’s softness. so pretty.

Nina
Nina

You guys act like her responses were, “Twist outs are awesome, and I love kitties!” She gave you products, her go-to-last-minute style, and her problem areas and what she does for those areas. What more do you want? Hell, there’s three new style icons up BGLH at least every week anyway, and plenty of icons to reference from the archives. So, if your motive truly is to develop a regimen from these interviews, you shouldn’t be tripping over the length of one. Besides, some of you have already stated that you think her hair is dry, so why the hell… Read more »

Karen
Karen
Reply to  Nina

Nobody said her is dry!!!

Nina
Nina
Reply to  Karen

TINA SMITH said it was dry. Read if you’re gonna correct, please.

BrinkyDinks
BrinkyDinks
Reply to  Nina

I also don’t think Tina Smith meant her hair is dry but rather her interview was dry (i.e. boring). Just because people don’t like something doesn’t mean they are a “hater”. No one has personally attacked her. This is a forum where everyone should be allowed to express their likes/dislikes without being attacked. We are adults so please let’s act like adults.

Nina
Nina
Reply to  BrinkyDinks

Yes, you’re absolutely right. And I’m expressing my own, thank you.

Nina
Nina
Reply to  BrinkyDinks

Your hair is gorgeous, Sasha, and you interview was informative.

geri

i think she’s so beautiful/adorable! love her thick hair!! it’s too thick haha, is that possible?

Saye
Saye

I found her information helpful. Plus my hair is similar to hers. She is also beautiful.

Jacky
Jacky

You have beautiful skin and hair!

Sasha Tania
Sasha Tania

Thanks everyone, my answers are short because at the time I didn’t do much with my hair.

Tiff Dizzle
Tiff Dizzle
Reply to  Sasha Tania

Girl you do not need to explain why you answered the way you answered… when they get the chance to become a style icon they can answer they questions as long as they want.

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

Pretty girl and hair~! That first pic is STUNNING.

luvnM3napturally
luvnM3napturally

Gorgeous hair, pretty young lady.

Tiff Dizzle
Tiff Dizzle

short sweet and straight to the point

Sasha Tania
Sasha Tania

If anyone has any questions about the products I use now feel free to email me. sashahayles@yahoo.com.

D.K.

Nice. You know, reading the comments, I kinda agree with everybody. A beautiful girl of few words, but she cares for herself and her hair well, and it shows. The pics tell you more, but simple routines are cool. 🙂

Phoxxie
Phoxxie

I don’t think I would ever do an interview on these sites. You women are SOOO quick to bash another woman for the smallest thing. Its like WTF are we doing this natural hair revolution thing if its only going to divide us more? Willie Lynch in full effect 2013.

Kay
Kay
Reply to  Phoxxie

Exactly what I was thinking.. it’s so sad how some women nit-pick at little things that don’t matter. Her answers we sufficient, and instead of discussing hair, commenters are discussing the brevity of the interview smh!

On another note, I hope my hair is this length at 2.5 years.. Her twist outs are beautiful!!!