Olivia // 4B Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Mar 28, 2013

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

photo-602

Introduce yourself!
O:
Olivia. I was born in London, but I grew up in Sydney Australia. My father is Nigerian and my mum is Australian.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
O:
Because I feel it’s what suits me best. I was born with it for a reason so I may as well keep it and look after it the best I can. I get so much attention for my hair and it baffles me because all black people have this hair or similar variations of my hair. It almost annoys me because people look at it like it’s a rare type of hair when it’s not at all. In saying all this though there are times when I do just want to get weave or blow dry it straight just for a change. But these moods only last a couple of hours.

I’ve been natural mostly my whole life because in Australia there isn’t really any option to not be natural. There weren’t that many black people around when I was growing up. However when I was 18 I got sick of my hair, bleached it blonde, and put a texturizer in it to loosen the curls. This was a disaster and it all started breaking. I missed the volume of my natural hair. My hair looked so bad I had no choice, but to start straightening it daily. When I was 19 I had a gap year in London and I was so amazed by all the options I had since they knew how to do black hair. Since then I’ve gone natural again.

How would you describe your texture?
O:
4B. In its completely natural state it is very unmanageable. You can’t put your hands through it. It’s very tight. The individual strands are fine and my hair is very dense. When wet it completely molds together and shrinks down so tight.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
O:
Once a fortnight or once a week I put my entire head in little plaits. I then wet the plaits in the shower and sleep on it over night. When I wake I undo these plaits and it sets my hair in the curls that I like. It almost looks crimped. I can then break apart the crimped pieces of hair to achieve the amount of volume that I want. When I can’t be bothered plaiting my hair and if it’s starting to get a bit too frizzy (which can also be fine sometimes) I just apply some Moroccan Oil Intense Curl Cream and this seems to be able to give my curls some structure. If I am going out and want to achieve a really dynamic look I will brush my hair out completely and make it as big as I can. I can also stretch my hair by pulling it down with my hands and using a blow dryer. This makes it long and big as well.

photo-607

What does wash day look like for you?
O:
I barely wash my hair. Maybe once every two months. Whenever I do it, it completely dries out and shrinks my hair up so small it’s ridiculous. When I wash I need to make sure I have nothing to do that day and spend about 8 hours brushing, oiling and plaiting each individual section, which is much harder than usual because it is wet and has shrunken up. I put Moroccan Oil Intense Curl Cream all over my hair as soon as I have dried my washed hair, fresh from the shower. I also apply regular Moroccan oil or Coconut oil to the individual strands when I am plaiting it. Beeswax also works. Any extremely oily product is essentially what I need.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
O:
Just up in a big bun really.

How do you combat shrinkage?
O:
By plaiting my hair, not washing it regularly and if I really wanted to give it extra length using the blow dryer.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
O:
At the crown of my head the hair seems to be a lot denser and much dryer so I need to apply the most product to that area.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
O:
Oil! Braiding and plaiting regularly and Let it be Free!

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
O:
No chemical treatments, No dyeing and Don’t wash so often.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
O:
Oluwayemi.tumblr.com and @yemisul on Instagram.

About Meosha

Anonymous

Hi. I had a question. What was your experience as a child growing up with textured hair.….meaning was ur mum able to care for it (I’m assuming she’s white). If your mom is white and if you grew up in a mostly white community, was it harder to come to love your textured hair? Were you always so confident? By the way, beautiful hair!!

Olivia ( Oluwayemi )
Reply to  Anonymous

Hi!
One of my earliest memories is of my Nigerian grandmother teaching my white mum how to do my hair. My mum is really good at it now and can do it perfectly.

And it definitely definitely was harder to love my hair growing up in a white community and no I wasn’t always confident. I remember being 7 and just dreaming that my hair was straight and then waking up being so sad it wasn’t. But its all these memories that contribute to the journey and make me love it all the more now.

Keisha
Keisha

Beautiful woman and styles!

Toni
Toni

You’re pretty Olivia. I like the pic when you are gazing out of the window and the one with the strung up lights.

Nooni
Nooni

Why don’t you wash your hair in plaits? That’s what I do to prevent tons of shrinkage and to stop it becoming unmangeable. Also, you look amazing!

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  Nooni

Everyone’s hair is different…Her hair sounds like mine, when I wash my hair shrinkage is insane for the first couple of days, lol. But, I do wash my hair weekly I’m too afraid to have stinky hair.

cb
cb
Reply to  Tracy

agree with you Tracy, can’t wash hair in tiny plaits now big plaits maybe 8–10, I can wash

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  cb

@ cb: Did I say she was supposed to use small plaits!?

Breeze
Breeze
Reply to  Tracy

I have fine strands, 4b, BSL, and these days I am so busy/lazy that I wash my hair about once a month, two if I’m on top of things lol. I can tell I need a wash when my scalp starts itching, but I don’t recall ever having stinky hair, *shrug*.…

Miesha
Miesha
Reply to  Breeze

Finally, someone who doesn’t wash their hair every week. It takes me hours to wash my hair and with a baby on the way and a toddler I don’t have time for that. Before I went natural I would curl and blow dry my hair at least five days a week(my poor hair). I would know it was time to wash it because my scalp would itch like crazy and my hair would smell burnt because of the curling iron. Now that I’m natural my hair never smells and my scalp rarely itches. I wash my hair about once a… Read more »

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  Breeze

@breeze I sweat in my head so when I work out or just sweat when I sleep I assume it will begin to smell… My BF has never said anything and I ask, lol. This is MY experience and my hangup…do what works best for you! I know my sister doesn’t sweat like I do so there you go…do you! P.S I generally wash once a week, sometimes I will do twice a week or every other week, I don’t have set regimen, I wash my hair when my hair needs it, I think most people can tell when it’s “time”… Read more »

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  Tracy

I don’t fully understand how your point is a response to what I said.…..

Breeze
Breeze
Reply to  Nooni

@Nooni I don’t know if u were responding to my post or not, but just in case you were, I meant to reply to Tracy

jo
jo
Reply to  Tracy

To Tracy -
I believe everyone knows what their hair can handle so throwing the word stinky is scaremongering and I don’t operate on people’s fears. If someone washes once a month who are we to say that is wrong? Being natural vis about listening to your hair not doing what everyone else is doing.

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  jo

To Jo,

I was referring to MY hair and MY preference, if you re-read what I said you’d see I was not talking about her nor was I “scaremongering” I was giving my opinion! Also, I never said that anything was wrong with what her routine. I started my comment by saying everyone’s hair is different and with that routines will differ… Did I say she was wrong? Nope, I did not.

jo
jo
Reply to  Tracy

To Tracy
No offense or malice was intended. I have seen your reply n see you workout so I would think a weekly wash would be better for your routine.i like every two weeks I used to wash twice a week at one point so have tried many ways and they all worked.

[to nooni] lilkunta
[to nooni] lilkunta
Reply to  Nooni

@nooni : I have 4c 4d 4e hair : super tight coily hair.
It is 6inches from root to end. I plait it but once water hits it it loosens so I cant wash it in plaits. They wont stay. What do i do ? Should I put hairbands on the neds to keep the plaits ? I do 8 total, 4 on each side. thanks.

LBell
LBell

lilkunta: I know you asked nooni but I’m going to reply that yes, if your plaits unravel under water then you should put bands on the ends. You may also want to see how well you do with a few more plaits…say, 12 instead of 8.

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  LBell

@ Lilkunta: I agree about putting bands on the ends and potentially doing more plaits!

Olivia ( Oluwayemi )
Reply to  Nooni

I do this also. Thats how i set my hair.

and Thank you!!

mlank64
mlank64

Beautiful woman and the hair is gorgeous and lush.

AnonSince87
AnonSince87

So funny; as I soon your pic, I immediately thought you were a Londoner (although I assumed born AND raised lol). Love your hair!

SJ
SJ

Yesssss I love to see my Nigerian sisters on this site!!! See this fine “gyal”! LOL

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

Wow, what a gorgeous girl!!! I love her hair and style—WERK! ;0)

jjac401
jjac401

You are gorgeous and have beautiful hair and style! I do think that if you were to shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo (sulfate free) or co-wash often with your hair in twists or plaits your hair would begin to retain lots of moisture and you would not have to deal with so much shrinkage and such.

nicole
nicole
Reply to  jjac401

I meant to thumbs up this suggestion.

Kristina

Love your hair, it’s a lot like mine texture wise (fine hair is super duper fragile). One time someone dared me to let my hair dry completely, it shrank so awful it took days to fix. Love your style!

jo
jo
Reply to  Kristina

If I let my hair dry, without stretching it loses moisture n gets tangles very quickly.:/ So is a no no for me.
The shrinkage always shocks me as it looks near ear length but straightened is BSB.
Shrinkage is the only thing I don’t always understand so that is why I am growing it long.

jenna marie christian

beautiful

Inas
Inas

Such a pretty girl, love that hair!

LBell
LBell

Olivia, in terms of shrinkage and “molding together” (lol), your hair sounds a lot like mine. From the pictures it looks great so what you’re doing must be working for you 😉 but my suggestion (which isn’t really mine but came from another site) when dealing with super-shrinky hair is that you follow the mantra of “never loose and wet at the same time.” What that means is that you wash your hair in large plaits or twists and you let your hair dry in them (after taking them down briefly to apply your leave-ins). It will save you a… Read more »

Cece Danielle
Cece Danielle
Reply to  LBell

I totally agree. My hair is a lot like this, except that my hair is coarse and not fine, but still the same texture. I have to wash my hair in braids and style it while it’s wet in order for it to behave. I let my hair dry completely once and I will never do it again.

Ashley
Ashley

Beautiful girl! Love her style.

Camillia
Camillia

That hair is everything!!! Loving it!

Cherry
Cherry

what a gorgeous woman OMG and your hair is just beautiful!

Madametj

Apparently she can’t count to 2.

lol. Jk, jk. I kid.

Piper
Piper

Beautiful hair!! Beautiful woman!!
Yessss, I had to google “fortnight” lol.

Funmi
Funmi

For someone who is half Nigerian your hair is super kinky. The genes run strong!
And your hair reminds me of mine for some reason… Might have something to do with me being Nigerian as well.
Love it!

Cleo
Cleo
Reply to  Funmi

African genes are very strong along with Asian genes.

D.P.
D.P.

I saw your picture on the front page and my first reaction was “What a pretty, feminine face she has” my second reaction was, “Oh my gosh her hair!” What I’m trying to say is that you’re one of my favorite style icons.

Olivia ( Oluwayemi )
Reply to  D.P.

Aww thank you so much!

lilkunta
lilkunta

olivia ? oluwayemi ? not sure which it is.
how do you keep your hair from smelling since you only wash every 2 months ? how do you not itch ?

debz
debz
Reply to  lilkunta

Not everyone hair gets dirty quick…hair grows more when its dirty also for some.…not everyone experience itching i could go months without itching my hair doesn’t sweat or smell either…some of us jus got it like that naturally 🙂 sorry

Mana23
Mana23
Reply to  debz

Debz thats not true at all. Nothing grows in dirt but plants and even thet have roots that act as filters when properly watered. Geesh, research people.

Anon
Anon
Reply to  lilkunta

That was incredibly rude

Olivia ( Oluwayemi )
Reply to  lilkunta

Amazingly it doesn’t. It does sound really disgusting but its the truth. I could of made up some lie that makes me sound lovely and perfect but thats what i do. what can i say?

Rachael
Rachael

Hi! I’m am sooooo with you on the not washing my hair for 3 weeks or even a month at a time. I also have 4A-4B grade hair and it is completely unruly/insanely thick in its natural state. Since I started washing it less (3 months ago) but rinse it occasionally while its braided, it isnt as coarse and I swear it grew more in these last few months than it has in the past with my old routine. Your hair is beautiful and so are you. Nevermind the trolls ‑they’re jealous!!

efa (efachuku)
efa (efachuku)

omg i was staring at your hair and pictures muttering “so pretty” under my breath lol. you are GORGEOUSSSSSSSSSSSS like ugh so pretty and yay a fellow nigerian i understand having the 2 names people always butcher my name so i stick with efa to keep it simple lol. ugh you and ur hair are gorgeous ugh like i really cannot! 🙂

Buchi
Reply to  efa (efachuku)

Hey efa, are u Ukwuani or from Delta state? I love your name!

Buchi

You could wash your hair in loose braids, it’ll definitely reduce shrinkage.

Ruth
Ruth
Reply to  lilkunta

Honestly i thought the same exact thing. I HAVE to wash my hair every four days to a week or it does start to smell a lot. Everyone is different though, i think it was just an honest question. Lord knows if i were to go that long my hair would probably be a wreck but again, everyone’s hair type/scalp/skin is different.

Kai
Kai
Reply to  lilkunta

I dont think she was being rude, I think she was simply asking a simple question: How do you not keep your hair from smelling if you dont wash it that often. For some of us not washing our hair often it tends to get a bit smelly from product build up and so on.
Geez

MrsGlam
Reply to  lilkunta

She mentioned that she rinses her hair weekly. I’m sure that helps remove product and keeps her hair clean.

Kan
Kan
Reply to  lilkunta

Why such rude comments towards Lilkunta??? I totally agree and had the same question. My hair (and lots of others that I know) starts to smell after 5 days or so and it itches to the point of bleeding when I try to go longer than two weeks…and I don’t use a lot of products at all…I researched it and the smell is caused by bacteria and fungus that naturally grows on everybody’s scalp everyday…So I am super shocked she can go two months with no issues…I wish I could do that! People just have different body chemistry.

Jj
Jj

Lovely hair AND girl:)

chi
chi

Love it! is Olivia your middle name? I love your Naija name. Oluwayemi is so pretty.

melanie
melanie

you’re gorgeous!!!!

Nicole
Nicole

I think you are the most beautiful girl on this site!

me
me

Some people can only hate. You are a very pretty girl. You have lovely hair too!

Cherry
Cherry

Lilkunta (don’t think I don’t see that that’s a troll name) don’t be jealous because this woman is beautiful and you aren’t.

Anna fom theblock

Such a beauty, in and out.
You seems to embrace your hair like no other!

Iman
Iman

I’m in love with your hair, it’s the same hair type as mine so your regimen’s really helpful to my natural hair journey. Because of you i’m more happier to continue this journey and block all the negativity at high school and family members. Thanks soo much for posting this.. and you are soo beautiful !

Iman
Iman

You should make YouTube videos

Antoinette Stewart

Lovely hair, spirit and gorgeous lips! ! ! I am a Jamaican & Nigerian mix! Your Nigerian name is beautiful!!

Jacky
Jacky

Gorgeous hair!

KinkyCoily
KinkyCoily

OMG finally someone with the exact same hair just as mine and although my does get dirty rather quickly my hair does benefit in terms of length retention with less washings for sure. I tried the water only rinsing but ended up applying some cleansing condish. You are totally my hair ICON. You and your hair are GORGEOUS!!!!

Anon
Anon

Your hair is fabulous! It’s so good to see someone with same hair texture and length as me…Don’t mind what anyone says about how often you wash. I wash every 6–8 weeks or as needed, and that’s just fine…Just do you. A tip: to save time on wash day, you might find it easier to wash in thick plaits or twists (say, 3 on each side). If you only wash your scalp, and let the shower stream wash everything out through the twists, you will cut that shrinkage significantly. From there, getting your hair into those tiny plaits shouldn’t take so… Read more »

shelikes
shelikes

pretty hair. love big punk afros without that product look. i have read that what people eat has a lot to do with body/hair odor. you look like you keep your weight down, probably do not eat a lot of red meat, not a lot of sugary foods either, maybe??? if so, i doubt that your hair smells bad. your skin is also beautiful, so i’m thinking you eat right. i hope this does not come off as offensive, but i think you have an exotic look because your skin is so light and cream like, but your features are… Read more »

Bianca
Bianca

Beautiful Hair! Beautiful young lady!
All that brushing doesn’t break your hair though?
When I was a little girl, my Mom only washed my hair every six weeks by the way…

We have the same texture, when my hair grows longer I intend to wear it free and natural as well!

Shell

Olivia your hair is beautiful!

Lenya

Another Aussie Naturalista! Fabulous, where do you buy your products cause I can’t find them anywhere.

Roxanne
Roxanne

Wonderfull!!

TAM
TAM

conditioner only washing in sections, and pre-treating with cocnut oil may cut down on wash day time and help with detangling

MrsGlam

You and your hair are gorgeous!

Lolo
Lolo
Reply to  MrsGlam

My sentiments exactly!

Jumoké
Jumoké

Oh snap she’s Nigerian! (Yoruba to be exact) you go girl! Reppin it up for Naija! ^_^

Anita
Anita
Reply to  Jumoké

No. She is mixed.. Half Nigerian…half Australian.

Ify
Ify
Reply to  Anita

Excuse me but why no?her dad is a nigerian so that makes her a nigerian!

DarmreerHamma

Oh my goodness! an impressive article dude. Thank you In spite of this I’m experiencing concern with ur rss . Do not know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody finding identical rss difficulty? Any individual who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

real christian louboutin

Ali
Ali

Sooooooo beautiful!!! Love your style and your hair 🙂

As a side note have you tried washing your hair in plaits or twists. I have 4b hair and it combats the shrinkage and tangling xx
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/image-18.jpg[/img]

trackback

[…] Style Icon Olivia […]

agreed my hair does not like being washed to often because it becomes weak in it’s damp or soaking wet hair !

erections
Reply to  more

The truth just shines through your post

Jude

If you would like to obtain much from this piece of writing then you have to apply such strategies to your won blog.

Antony

We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with useful info to work on. You have done a formidable task and our whole neighborhood will probably be grateful to you.

Toni
Toni

Oh my! You are such an inspiration. I’ve only just made the decision to go natural after having box braids in for a while. As my hair began to grow, untouched by a relaxer I would feel it’s texture between my fingers and continuously touch it in amazement. Thoughts of being free from relaxers ran through my mind long before, but at 33 years of age the thought has formed into a reality. I think my hair texture is similar to yours and I’m scared of so many things, this site and beautiful people like you really help!! Thank you!

April

Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m planning to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a difficult time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

trackback

[…] Style Icon Olivia […]

trackback

[…] Style Icon Olivia […]

Jovonne
Jovonne

Finally found another natural that doesn’t wash their hair often like myself. I feel good now. 😛

Jefferson
Reply to  Jovonne

The style is cute,but the braids are way too tight.Just bcuease people say the are professionals doesn’t mean you sit in that chair and say nothing Speak up for youself..if not? you will have BALD EDGES!

Lucinda
Lucinda

You go girl!!

My kinky hair really stands out here in Sydney, so I totally understand the looks you get. I’ve only lived here for a short while and I’m still getting used to it. I can’t imagine how it was for you growing up here.

I love your hair and your style 🙂

Aliyah
Aliyah

I love your hair . I have a slightly looser texture 4a. But I agree keeping it braided and moisturized helps it grow .

christina.bo