Kinky Hair Critic and Oprah Stylist Andre Walker Launching Natural Hair Line

Avatar • Mar 30, 2013

4 R

S. M. D. H…

Via Clutch Magazine:

Oprah Winfrey’s hairstylist, Andre Walker, sent the natural hair world into a tizzy when he made statements in 2011 about kinky hair. He said:

I always recommend embracing your natural texture. Kinky hair can have limited styling options; that’s the only hair type that I suggest altering with professional relaxing.”

When the backlash from his suggestion reached a fever pitch, Walker countered with this explanation:

So when I say to embrace your natural texture, but consider relaxing kinky hair, am I contradicting myself? I don’t think so! You see, even relaxed hair can still be worn naturally. If you want a natural look, but find that your kinky hair is difficult to manage, breaks too easily, lacks shine and luster, and limits your preferred styling options, I say feel free to consider a mild chemical relaxer, sometimes called a texturizer, that eases your hair to a more manageable texture and allows you to Make Peace With Your Hair.”

Andre will now help naturals “make peace with” their hair with his own branded line of natural hair products. Instead of the relaxers and texturizers he once suggested, he’ll be shelling sulfate-free shampoo, conditioner and straightening creme.

Read the rest at Clutch Magazine.

Um… wow.… #nowords.

What are your thoughts ladies?

trackback

[…] BGLH Knew it was only a matter of time before he jumped on the bandwagon, after insulting us. Kinky Hair Critic and Oprah Stylist Andre Walker Launching Natural Hair Line | Black Girl with Long … __________________ Products in current rotation: Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; […]

Bosa
Bosa

He has not redeemed himself to have a natural hair line and of course, the imperative straightening crème.

Antrelise
Reply to  Bosa

Listen ladies!!! Aren’t we trying to change the perception of Afro-textured hair globally? Yes!! Sooooo.…this is great news!! Yes his comments were ignorant, but, perhaps with the backlash, he was forced to educate himself. Maybe he now knows that kinker hair is just a different type with diffent needs (just like All the other types of hair). He (like too many black people/stylist) was raised in this straight hair at all costs society. This is what it takes. So we should congratulate ourselves.…Andre is a heavy weight and now he has expanded his hair care line and his mind. Of… Read more »

Mai
Mai
Reply to  Antrelise

That “light” is being reflected off of a dime. He’s just trying to make money. And my money is not going to see his light.

hmm
hmm
Reply to  Mai

That “light” is being reflected off of a dime” Lmao! Yasss

Reply to  Antrelise

or maybe you should try to support those who have always believed that our hair was worth to be cared of in its natural state and do not look suddenly like they’re trying to make money out of what you have on your head?

andre is FORCED to see that the natural hair movement is rising if this ws not the case he would still be claiming that straight hair is the only option for kinky haired women that’s all. so if i’m to buy natural hair products i’ll stick to other brands. to each his own.

Antrelise
Reply to  eve-audrey

I just don’t see how anyone can win. The products you buy are trying to make a buck too (doesnt mean they Appreciate your hair or are Black owned). Obviously he has since learned differently. Most of the people on this post use to have perms (and most of the ones that didn’t was bc their mothers wouldn’t let them) so we felt that way too. Why can’t he grow too? Very unforgiving.

Reply to  Antrelise

@antrelise i get your point, i really do. but i think it’s about rewarding those who basically have considered that investing in natural hair was worth the effort and supporting black owned businesses to allow our people to make money out of it. there are plenty of black owned businesses now it’s not like 20 years ago when big brands imposed their products to you.

cookiechica
cookiechica
Reply to  Antrelise

Antrelise, I forgive Andre Walker for insinuating that some kinky hair types can “better manage” their hair by mildly relaxing or texturizing, and that forgiveness does not have to translate to me buying or being curious about his natural haircare line. It would better serve Mr. Walker if he said this statement before announcing the development of his natural haircare line, “I was mistaken in my beliefs about kinky hair. I apologize for offending those with this hair type”. Right now, he looks like an opportunist that looked at the profit margins of natural hair care companies and wanted in… Read more »

crist_lite
crist_lite
Reply to  Bosa

LOL @ ‘the imperative straightening crème’

thirty82
thirty82

Nope not with my money…besides my hair is kinky. He can kiss my natural @$$

hmm
hmm
Reply to  thirty82

Yes! And another thing,I see everybody and their momma, sisters, and cousins jumping on this natural band wagon. I cannot BELIEVE Dark and lovely is selling their crap at the same price of Shea moisture smh

Tiffany
Tiffany
Reply to  hmm

I’ve been seeing those Dark n Lovely commercials and I’m just like like wow! Everyoe is trying to make a buck. Natural hair isn’t a fad, it’s what grows naturally.

curlytea
Reply to  hmm

Dark n Lovely can go sit down somewhere.… and take Andre Walker with ’em.

Reply to  thirty82

i laughed at that comment it’s too funny!

coffeeandfingernails

Definitely a bit shady on his part, but that said, if he comes out with a line that works well for my hair I’ll use it.

athena
athena

here we go again, someone else trying to enrich themselves off of our movement. Someone who recently suggested I should relax my kinky tresses. He wont see one cent of my money and nor will the other band-wagoners.

Meesha
Meesha

I guess now he see’s a money opportunity and just want’s to cash in!!

J.Nicole

Clearly this is an attempt to jump on the “natural hair” bangwagon. It’s funny even more since he hasn’t fully embraced natural hair since he sees no issues in relaxing it to make it more “manageable”. If he really wanted to help women “make peace” with their hair, he’d 1) acknowledge how harmful his original statement was, 2) actually accept that no, women with kinkier hair don’t need a relaxer to make their hair more manageable and 3) not shove another product down the throats of women He must think we are so naive and gullible that we’ll forget his ignorant… Read more »

Candice
Candice

If someone says that kinky/curly hair in its natural state is unmanageable and needs a texturizer, then he does NOT understand natural hair and so therefore, why would I buy his products? My money will be supporting natural brands that support and embrace natural women, not these Johnny-come-latelys just looking to capitalize on what they think is a “trend”.

curlytea
Reply to  Candice

You said the magic word: “trend”. I think people like Andrea Walker think this is some type of trend, and they don’t want to leave money on the table (so to speak).

Anytime black women all over the world are working on their own shea butter mixes and homemade conditioners, what makes him think he doesn’t AT LEAST have to figure out what works for the real un-relaxed, un-texlaxed version of our natural hair?

He can go sit his.. butt (you know what I wanna say) down somewhere with that mess.

JustLeavingaComment
JustLeavingaComment

HA! I don’t think so.

PrissyMiss
PrissyMiss

Not gonna happen. The natural hair movement is about more than the natural hair. It’s about loving the person god made you to be. Instead of trying to fit yourself into a box that wasn’t made for you. Going natural gave me such an inner peace and love its ridiculous. Why would I support someone who wants to stifle my awakening.

LeAnna
LeAnna

Umm no thanks. I would never put anything in my hair that he’s selling, promoting or recommending! He clearly has NO love for our REAL natural textures. Next

Visionq

I love my natural curly/kinky hair and I manage just fine without chemicals. love my natural me..:-)

JazzWife

I would simply not be interested in having a “natural look” when my natural hair is just fine. Would I support his new venture? Absolutely not.

kcm
kcm

He’s a load of crap!!! We should be embracing ALL of our hair types NOT just the relaxed or naturally curly.

Pleshette's sister
Pleshette's sister

Sorry to break it to him, but we are natural because we have already made peace with our hair! He is only changing his tune because he sees natural hair as a money-maker…
So, no and never!

Lisa
Lisa

I think he now realises that he can make some money from the Natural Movement…but i think he doesnt understand the reason behind the movement…its about embracing your natural beauty not alter it…who knows what his products will contain..im a natural who uses natural stuff on my hair, so his products wont be for me!!!

Hannah

It’s so sad that he couldn’t go against the salon establishment. Now that that he see the buying power of black women he wants to $ in. The worst part is.. people will buy it.

curlytea

His thinking is wrong on all kinds of levels. *sigh* What a shame he has the platform he has, but not the mindset to deal with that responsibility. He only thinks natural hair is supposed to be one way or else is should be texlaxed. That’s pitiful. If he wants to do something, he should do research on how to care for natural hair in its natural form. Find out how to keep kinky hair moisturized so that it won’t break. Find out how to detangle natural hair without tearing it all out with comb. Find out what are the… Read more »

AnonSince87
AnonSince87

I beg of us; let’s not support this bandwagon jumper! Yes, business is all about seizing on opportunities and ‘trends’, but given his remark before, I kind of want egg to fall on his face & to say “Ha!” Lol.

verona
verona

Yeah…I’ll pass.

MiMi
MiMi

I’m just going to leave this right here:
Chile, please.

cb
cb

He is trying to get his hustle on lol, the natural community STILL go by hair typing…HIS hair typing…ladies come now 3B/3C/4A/4B/4C? Did we not get that from Andre Walker. He will make his money from sulfate-free shampoos, conditioner cleansers, and please do not forget clarifying shampoos 1X per month…corporations and the like know where to make money…black women!

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  cb

actually, he didn’t start that. I found a book in the library last year from the 80s where they already were using those hair types. That said, I guess he made it more famous.

lilkunta
lilkunta

andre just wants MONEY.

afrAm women spend the most on their hair.
that is why asians dominate beauty supply stores: they know their business wont fail.

andre is just wanting to make $.
his best client oprah RELAXES so he cant tout her as an example.

every1 is making natural hair products: kimmaytube from YT has luvnaturals, carol’s daughter(small bottles and prices too high!); that baltimore family with oyin homemade.

Chicago Chica
Chicago Chica

Mr. Walker will not receive one red cent from me. He makes natural hair sound like a mistake. He can have several seats as far as I’m concerned.

Summergirl
Summergirl

I don’t like his hair typing system because I feel it is a hierarchy of “good” to “bad” hair. BGLH should stop using his hair typing system.

linnie
linnie

NO THANK YOU, MAN. HE CAN KEEP HIS ‘NATURAL’ HAIR PRODUCTS. ANYONE WHO HAS THIS TYPE OF ATTITUDE ABOUT ME DOESN’T NEED MY MONEY.

appassionata
appassionata

I can’t knock the hustle–he just won’t be getting a penny from me.

Wendee
Wendee

he can backpedal all he wants; he’ll be doing it without a plugged nickel from ME!!

Antrelise
Reply to  Wendee

This is confusing. Most of us had relaxers at some point bc we felt the same way as Andre!! If someone had tried to get me to go natural 8 years ago, I would have laughed!! But I have since grown to know better, so have you, why can’t he?

Reply to  Antrelise

@antrelise your appreciation of natural hair has grown with time and came with the change of your mind. as you said it took you eight years and i believe some research too. i seriously doubt that andre took the time to go through the same process. we like natural hair because we are starting to appreciate ourselves the way we were born. as far as andre is concerned he was showing distaste for natural hair a bit more than a year ago. it seems like he’s only trying to get some dollars.

Antrelise
Reply to  eve-audrey

I don’t know eve-Audrey. Who can ever say what’s in a man’s heart. But in order to create a new product, you have to have test subjects and go back and forth until you create a product that works and they say they would buy. That demands a lot of research. More than I ever did (I’ve only been natural for 2 1/2years). Just by creating his new line he had to prove himself wrong. Lets not tie him to what he said 2 years ago. I’m glad that everything that I ever said wasn’t published, aren’t you? And im… Read more »

Ms. Gee
Ms. Gee
Reply to  Antrelise

The man is still selling a straightening cream. How does that show appreciation for natural hair?

Monika
Reply to  Ms. Gee

Because everyone doesn’t want to be natural. Is there a law that says he can’t cater to both. All the companies are doing the same thing. The straightening cream is not a relaxer, And he’s not telling you to use it. He now has products for curls and relaxers. Someone can accept your choice to be natural and still choose to support others that want to remained relaxed.

Ms. Gee
Ms. Gee
Reply to  Antrelise

My dear, the line is supposed to be for people who want to be natural and the line includes a straightening cream. Are you his PR rep?

Antrelise
Reply to  Ms. Gee

Nope. Not his PR person. Just someone who likes to read and inform myself first. And because I did that, I know that the straightening cream is not a chemical. It does not alter your hair in anyway. Instead, it’s a part of a line of products that are designed to help transitioners deal with the two hair textures (without using chemicals on your new growth). Everyone does not want to do a BC. It’s designed for a very specific clientele. I have never used his products and like my kinky curly products. I’m just saying that we all should… Read more »

Deandra
Deandra
Reply to  Antrelise

Andre has not shown any evidence that he has an appreciation of natural hair; merely, it seems to be an appreciation of natural hair money. He can have his opinion, like anyone else, but those not in agreement can also express distaste at his opinion. I have already made peace with my hair, without his help.

Kimberly
Kimberly

Why would I give my money to someone who doesn’t believe I should wear my kinky-curly hair in it’s natural state. I’ll be shocked it if does well considering how the remarks he made ticked off the natural hair community.

linda
linda
Reply to  Kimberly

The community that blindly follows Oprah will support his products. That’s not me though.

Princess
Princess

Hehe I think someone saw dollar signs 😛
Sorry my friend — you won’t be seeing mine .… .

La
La

I can’t believe there are few folks defending him and talking about forgiveness. It is not like he is some pauper who is a struggling home-based business owner. He is Oprah Winfrey’s stylist! The BILLIONAIRE, OPRAH WINFREY. I don’t have to shed my coins for his line if I don’t want to, and won’t feel an ounce of sadness about not doing so. He made these remarks in 2011, not 1987. He had more tools and resources than probably all of us to “research kinky hair”. I figured out how to work with my natural hair in 2003, so what… Read more »

shepptacular

ALL sorts of side eye to Andrew Walker … I don’t believe in the hair typing system..and his backpedaling on the concept of kinky hair earns him several thumbs down

Cece Danielle
Cece Danielle

That man is ridiculous. I wouldn’t be surprised if in one of his bottles geared towards kinky hair there was a relaxer in it. Nope. Andre’s not getting my $$

Miss T
Miss T

Oh no he didn’t! Straightening cream, really Andre, I wish I might! Instead of coming out with a so called natural hair line how about making a statement about how wrong you were about natural hair.

Antrelise
Reply to  Miss T

And if he does.…..? 🙂

Miss T
Miss T
Reply to  Antrelise

I hear you, he just doesn’t seem very sincere too me… Don’t you buy that straightening cream Antrelise! 🙂

Antrelise
Reply to  Miss T

LOL .…..Funny!!! 🙂

Karen
Karen

I wont be using his hair products for several reason, the main reason being is they probably wont be AFFORDABLE!! His current hair product prices are outrageous!

But,what puzzles me about the hate towards him is the natural hair community has FULLY embraced his HAIR TYPING CHART!! It has become the STANDARD for hair typing!

GodMadeUSALLPerfect
GodMadeUSALLPerfect
Reply to  Karen

Until this forum, I had no idea he was the father of that hair typing chart. I will begin to wean myself off of it. The more you know, the more you grow. We should really abolish using it if that’s the case.

La
La
Reply to  Karen

I personally don’t go by that hair system, and this was before I knew about his comments. First of all, the whole system is relative… meaning people just label themselves with whatever they feel comfortable with. Second it has nothing to do with the properties of your hair, so me looking at one “4a” person and using whatever they use is just silly, because I am low-porosity with fine strands. I can’t even use shea butter like most naturals! I think people gravitate towards it out of convenience and not knowing where to start as a newbie, but maybe that… Read more »

metoyou
metoyou
Reply to  Karen

I understand he is not the originator of the air typing system, it wass there before him… he just made it popular

Lee
Lee

Lmao yup I’m gonna keep it movin’ on this one. He’s not getting a dime from me! Watch, if he doesn’t get as much $ as he thinks he should off of this natural hair line he might go and backpedal again!

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

This fool.

GodMadeUSALLPerfect
GodMadeUSALLPerfect

Some people will buy it. Not sure what the consequences will be since they won’t have Andre maintaining their hair like he maintains Oprah’s. Product testing is a concern; who has ever used this “straightening crème” on their own at home? I’m curious about the active ingredient. Hope it’s not sodium hydroxide, Guanidine calcium hydroxide, formaldehyde-laden Brazilian straighteners or any of their cousins.…cause then it’s just a permanent chemical treatment. If I were O, I’d distance myself from this product because I can foresee the backlash and you know Oprah is all about her PR. Clearly, Andre is just in it… Read more »

Valerie
Valerie

Lol since we are #4

Momo
Momo

Andre you need to get your life!! Keep your “natural” hair opinion to yourself. smh Oprah…

imani
imani

He likely hasn’t changed is mind. But he realized where the money is! He thinks he can make a comment less than 2 yrs ago sidelining a portion of the natural hair community and I’m supposed 2 let it go bc 18 months have passed? In the time it takes to research & test & launch a haircare line…he suddenly knows enough abt natural hair to launch a line ?seems awfully rushed! he’s follwing the scent of money! If he said it 10 yrs ago,id say life & lessons could’ve changed him but less than 2 yrs with the rate… Read more »

shelikes
shelikes

To me, straight hair is harder to manage than natural hair. Natural hair is washed, combed, twisted and air dried. It is easy to manage once one finds the right hair conditioners, eats right and exercises. As natural hair becomes healthier and healthier it becomes easier to comb and twist. Straight hair requires lots of heat and chemicals that burn. Andre and Oprah are not interested in the finished look of natural hair, though, pretty much like all of white America. So they talk about how “hard” it is to manage. They are both ignorant. He sounds so ignorant and… Read more »

shelikes
shelikes
Reply to  shelikes

and the only reason our hair has had a history of being “hard” to manage is because we come from a people who worked day and night in cotton fields. the women and men that we come from (not all of us, of course, but some of us have a lot of slave hair in us) did not have the luxury of bathing let alone shampooing hair on a regular basis so our hair and genes and dna, i imagine, adapted to not having lots of water and nutrients and formed these tight rings and coils and tangled up thirsty… Read more »

Terry
Terry
Reply to  shelikes

I find this statement ridiculous: ” so our hair and genes and dna, i imagine, adapted to not having lots of water and nutrients and formed these tight rings and coils and tangled up thirsty ends.” ‑Are you kidding me? Don’t Africans have the same kind of hair? They didn’t go through slavery, so your ‘theory’ is so so so wrong and ignorant. Have you ever seen a modern day African in your life? Trying to blame slavery for our genes? Wow. I also get a sense of ‘poor us, it’s not our fault we have such unmanageable hair’. Our… Read more »

shelikes
shelikes
Reply to  Terry

for you to say that we have the same kind of hair as africans is such an idiotic generalization. there are millions and millions and millions of people in africa dear and no we dont have the same kind of hair as africans. there are africans that have afro hair that grows down their backs. these women keep their hair wrapped in red mud which nourishes it and makes it grow long. there are pictures of these women all over the internet. you should try some of the pbs channels sometimes. don’t always believe what you hear from traditional media.… Read more »

Miss Fizzy
Reply to  shelikes

I’m African, West African to be more precise and my ancestors were never slaves. However, I have the dry, kinky, coily type of hair with “thirsty ends” that you mentioned. While my hair type isn’t the only type present in Africa, it is present in a significant percentage of the African population IN Africa. I find that this disproves the slavery theory of why my hair is the way it is. I believe that living things adapt to environmental changes but evolution of this sort would happen over thousands of years and not over a couple of centuries. I’m no scientist… Read more »

Miss Fizzy
Reply to  shelikes

Also, it is probably not a good idea to rely on national geographic or the discovery channel for an idea of what Africans are like. As an African speaking for myself, I find your comment very ignorant and quite insulting and feel that you completely strayed from the point and resorted to insults which did not help your case at all. Terry was right to say that Africans (not all though) have the same type of hair. I was born and raised in Africa and have always had access to water, good food, nutrients etc… but guess what? My hair… Read more »

Ally
Ally
Reply to  shelikes

And how exactly does your hair differ from “African hair”, per se?

African Naturalista
Reply to  shelikes

Shelikes, really? Wetting hair in clean rivers? Looollll. What is the meaning of African? I hope you know that Africans have different types of hair. I live in Nigeria (West Africa), and have never seen anyone wash their hair in any ‘clean river’. Which part of African are you talking about exactly? There’s too much generalisation in your comment for me to even begin to pick it apart. Honestly, it would just be a waste of time.

metoyou
metoyou
Reply to  shelikes

@ shelikes: I suggest you learn more about Africa from real Africans (not the media or books written by non Africans) as your comments are at best an extrapolation of a partial truth and at worst sheer ignorance of what life in Africa really is. African women in general have the same issues with their hair as their African-American counterparts. Your comment about african women applying mud to their hair is probably true for a very small tribe in rural East Africa but it is certainly not representative of African women in general. I am proudly African and have spent… Read more »

Chloe
Chloe
Reply to  shelikes

Not all Black people come from slavery thus we don’t all come from a people that picked cotton. Your comment is ignorant.

Ann Marie
Ann Marie

How dare he well well I guess he is not into accepting natural hair n it’s entirety . It is what it is, as far as I know I have been natural for a few years I love my hair the way it is, I love the versatility of it! I enjoy dealing with my hair bcuz it’s my hair! I also love wearing weaves extensions etc but he doesn’t mention the versatility of using your natural hair instead he sees our hair as an obstacle so it has to be tamed and controlled I will not be using his… Read more »

F.M
F.M

Store bought product is not required to maintain natural hair. Before all of these opportunist decided that we needed their products naturals were making their own. Being free of the “lye” isn’t just about self-love it’s also about health. The less unknown chemicals applied to your skin and scalp the better for your physical health. Being liberated from the “lye” is also about our economic health. Black women spend more on hair care than all other races of women combined. This is just another way to lighten our pocketbooks. Stick to your aloe vera, coconut oils, shea butters etc. Don’t… Read more »

gapch
gapch
Reply to  F.M

so instead of funding hair care companies start funding food supplies. either way you still throwing your money away for the purpose of hair care

LBell
LBell

A few quick things: - Andre’s hair typing chart was adopted by the online natural hair community because there really wasn’t anything else like it that attempted to include Afro-textured hair in a discussion of other hair types. I know that may sound crazy nowadays given all we know about this hair type but back then simply having two categories (4a and 4b) was significant. Andre’s chart predated the LOIS chart and others that have come since (Mizani, etc.). The book containing the chart (Andre Talks Hair) came out in 1998. - From an objective perspective, hair typing isn’t a bad… Read more »

merry
merry
Reply to  LBell

well, i might like his typing system more if the kinkiest hair was 1 instead of 4.

AC
AC
Reply to  merry

I don’t think it would make sense if kinky hair was 1st.. if the system is in numerical order by degree of curl such as burns… if you have more curl or kink you should have the higher number but I guess it’s all in how you interpret it, no hair system can make me feel like my hair isn’t amazing anyways lol

gapch
gapch
Reply to  merry

thats nothing but you own self doubt. he never said 1 is better than 4. his scale is base on degree of curl from least to most not better or worst. check yourself

Natalee
Natalee
Reply to  LBell

“Obviously WE aren’t Andre’s customers” <–THIS! That’s what he doesn’t realize about the natural hair community of this decade. Black women have more buying power and consumer worth than Andre ever estimated. He clearly didn’t do his research…even mainstream companies are trying to enter the “natural” market because they know where the money resides. Would I rather spend $20+ on Andre’s magical not for kinky colored girls potion or go to a smaller natural hair company that will consult with me and help me find something to embrace my curls or kinks or when I decide to straighten my hair.… Read more »

Sam
Sam

He’s gonna starve waiting for me to buy.…

sa
sa

The whole hair typing system doesn’t bother me all that much, it is what it is. The thing that irks me a bit is when he mentioned that he made this product line so ‑naturals can make peace- with their hair. #^#%#% please! As if he cares so much about natural hair, truth is he shares the same negative mindset about natural hair as so many others do, as if natural hair is flawed and it’s a pain to deal with. He’s only doing this to put some extra $$$ in his pocket like the rest of these pop-up overnight… Read more »

trackback

[…] Here is the link to the article that I reference in the video, http://bglh-marketplace.com/2013/03/kinky-hair-critic-and-oprah-stylist-andre-walker-launching-natu.… […]

tristan
tristan

yeah he won’t be getting my dollar, so how is it making “peace” with your hair by adding a texturizer?! you’d still be altering your hair. i’m going to throw this word out and aim it in his direction, idiot, you sir are an idiot. wise up please. now you want to jump on the bandwagon and make some money? smh!!!

Cami
Cami

Mr. Walker should have several seats right next to Miss Jessie’s, Carol’s Daughter, Mixed Chicks, Kinky-Curly, and all the other costly NPLs on the market. #ex-pj #saveyourmoney, #lessismore, #doyou

Terry
Terry

Let’s just put the word out there that this is not the man to look to info on kinky hair for. For such a professional to claim a hair type that is unmanageable when thousands of kinky haired women the world over are caring for, growing, styling and yes- manumitting their hair in way more varied ways than any hair type, make him look stupid.

Jaida

He sounds like an ignorant stylist who cares more about style and appearance over promoting HEALTHY hair. I hope that NOBODY buys his products. NO-BODY.

mlank64
mlank64

My feeling on this that Mr. Andre is responding to his pocket book more than his love for all things ‘natural”. He sees the writing on the wall and he is smart enough to know he better adapt or die, metaphorically speaking.
In any event…I don’t need Mr. Andre’s validation. I know how to take care of my hair and I know the products that work and don’t work. He can keep his imitation natural hair products and stick it where it aint so natural.

natchralli
natchralli

Oh my! Colonialism rears its ugly head! I love my naturally curly hair. It is thick, black, and springy. It is the curliest hair texture on earth. I can manage to look like a woman of African descent without chemically or thermally damaging my hair. If I feel the need to manage to look like someone who I am not, well, break out the blow dryer, ceramic or chemical straighteners. I love naturally curly hair. The curliest hair on earth. We are so maligned, we don’t even realize that our naturally curly hair “kinky” “nappy” IS actually super-curly. Hello? that’s why… Read more »

Coconut + Cream

Sounds to me like he has developed a ‘If you can’t beat’em join’em’ mentality. No thanks Andre, I’d rather spend my pounds where my kinks are respected and not seen as inferior.

Best wishes.

C+C

Tabatha
Tabatha

I’ve never tried his products, so I’m not in an uproar over it, but I say its simple if you think he is back peddling don’t buy the products. Plain and simple. I have really unruly hair so I like to use products that will keep the tangling to a minimum because its hard for me to twist or braid my hair wet, I always have to blow dry a little and then when its a little damp, twist or braid it. I don’t care if I striaghten or try to air dry, I am who I am and my… Read more »

shelikes
shelikes
Reply to  Tabatha

i doubt that you have unruly hair. you may have unhealthy hair, right now. but not unruly. don’t let andre and his categorizations of our hair convince you that your hair is something that it is not. do not box your hair inside of his boxes. he is doing the thing that white media tells him will make him some money. he does not know the first thing about keeping hair on his own bald head let alone managing it on someone else. i imagine that you have pretty eyes, nice smooth skin, pretty curvy legs etc etc. do you… Read more »

Temple
Temple

Why is my hair something I should just ‘make peace with’?? Lol Ain’t a damn thing wrong with it. Plus, kinky hair is some of the most versatile hair you can have…

shelikes
shelikes

J. D. ‘Okhai Ojeikere photographed nigerian hairstyles throughout his lifetime. — Andre needs to take his chunky butt bald head a look at the photos of hairstyles that nigerian women wore. these women don’t look like they are having a hard time “managing” their hair AT ALL. certainly do look to be at “peace” with these styles. i am so happy that i know my hair did NOT begin with the relaxer, the pressing comb, handkerchiefs and slavery but that it began way back long before that with these beautiful heads of hair. have had a few set backs with… Read more »

Jasmine Love
Jasmine Love

I don’t care who’s hair stylist he is or how famous he is, IMO, he doesn’t know anything about natural black hair. If he didn’t he wouldn’t suggest relaxing it, but instead, give tips on how to care for it. Like someone else said in a previous comment, straighter hair is hard to style. He’s an idiot. How can you embrace your NATURAL TEXTURE with something that RELAXES it? The only way I see that happening if you’re rocking roots. What’s the point of relaxing if you want it to look “natural.” Might as well go natural and be able to… Read more »

Monika
Reply to  Jasmine Love

When he says “make peace with your hair” he was not directing it toward black women with kinky hair. That is his mantra. It’s his slogan and he says that in all of his advertisements. Black women are not the only ones who try to make their hair do things that it won’t. If you read his entire article and not just the couple of sentences that the person who wrote this post selected. Get all the facts and stop listening to hear se. He made it a point to say that IF a women with kinky hair wants to… Read more »

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Monika

are you him, or Oprah?

mlank64
mlank64

“He made it a point to say that IF a women with kinky hair wants to make it “easier” to control her hair then she can relax it straight or texturize it so that it can still be made to look natural IF SHE WANTS” The implications of his statement speaks for itself. It is the sentiment that “kinky” hair is viewed as something that needs fixing. That most hair stylist don’t approach natural hair as something they can work with in its natural state, but something that needs to be fixed and their only solution is to throw a harsh… Read more »

Monika
Reply to  mlank64

What he also said in the same paragraph was if she WANTS to wear her hair straight and that’s the style she wants to keep.…then he would suggest a relaxer. Lets not pretend that there are not black women who want to have a relaxer. Those were the women he was addressing. He was not talking to naturals or trying to convince us that we need a relaxer. There are plenty of women who just want to go to the salon every week or so, get their hair “did” , wrap it at night, and be done with it. And… Read more »

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Monika

nice try, the “if she wants” part wasn’t about “if she wants to wear a relaxer or texturizer”. Read it as written! Its “it can be made to look natural if she wants”. So, the go to thing for him is chemicals to “fix and relax” the hair, which is the way to make it “manageable” in his book, and “if she wants” she can make it look natural.

Reply to  Monika

does that make sense to say kinky hair is the most fragile hair and then suggest to put harsh chemicals in it to weaken it even more? i do not understand people who try to say andre does not have distaste for kinky hair. he DOES. i chose to go natural and i understand that many other people would rather relaxing their hair than caring for it in its natural state that’s their choice. there’s noting wrond with highlighting thant andre walker launched a NATURAL hairline (not one one only for relaxed heads) to make make money out of something he… Read more »

Monika
Reply to  eve-audrey

@ Eve-Audrey. True. But the vast majority of black hair stylist support the use of relaxers. Up until a few years ago there would have been nothing wrong with what he said. And that’s my point. I’m not necessarily supporting Andre, but I find this outrage kind of silly. That’s why relaxers were invented in the first place bc we all accepted that it made our hair easier to deal with. So to say that he hates kinky hair bc he supports relaxers when the vast majority of black people and stylist believe the same thing. Most of the posts… Read more »

Reply to  Monika

@Monica i know many black people still prefer to relax their hair i’m natural but my sister is still relaxed and does not consider going natural. most of the black people who have a preference for straight hair and relaxers have it because they don’t like natural hair. not all of them but most them. andre is ne of those people who would rather relaxing kinky hair to style than trying to take of it in its natural state. most women on this site are fairly recent naturals, yes, but they’re here because their preference has changed for natural hair.… Read more »

Monika
Reply to  eve-audrey

@ Eve-audrey. AGREED!! I too think that there is always room for differing opinions and finding common ground helps everyone to grow. So thank you for at least trying to understanding my point of view. Anyway, let me act like I’m employed and get back to work (so that I can continue to afford my over-priced hair care products!).

Reply to  Monika

well i meant “one of those people” and “take care of it in its natural state” sorry for the typing mistakes

jasmine
jasmine
Reply to  eve-audrey

@eve-audrey, Right?!! oh! i agree with you! I hate that we say/hear that Kinky-coily hair is the weakest, or most fragile hair type, when it can endure one of the harshest chemical treatments! omg. Wackness- our hair is strong, as strong as other hair types. hair was created with resilence!

Ellie
Ellie

.….I can’t even with Mr. Walker right now. Best of luck with his new “enterprise”, although, I doubt it will be very successful.

Monika

And I quote :“So when I say to embrace your natural texture, but consider relaxing kinky hair, am I contradicting myself? I don’t think so! You see, even relaxed hair can still be worn naturally. If you want a natural look, but find that your kinky hair is difficult to manage, breaks too easily, lacks shine and luster, and limits your preferred styling options, I say feel free to consider a mild chemical relaxer, sometimes called a texturizer, that eases your hair to a more manageable texture and allows you to Make Peace With Your Hair.” So, yes he did… Read more »

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  Monika

@Monika.

Thanks so much for pointing out that his slogan, which is directed at his CONSUMER, is not directed at black women. So that means his products aren’t for black women either,right? Because he doesn’t see us as his consumer, right? And black women don’t need to take his dubious advice seriously,right? And black women with natural hair who, by your interpretation are NOT his intended consumers, don’t need to consider his natural hair products either, right?

Thanks for clearing that up!

You are an excellent PR troll!

/sarcasm

Monika
Reply to  Kelly

@ Kelly. Omg!!! When I said that it’s his slogan…what was meant was that’s his slogan for his original line of products. He was not telling black women in particular to make peace with their hair. He was talking to all women. That’s just what he says in general and that’s what’s in his advertisements. I know this bc when I found out what he said I researched. I went to the source so that I could form my opinion on facts not emotion. AND I did not say naturals were not his intended customer, I said that he wasn’t… Read more »

letitfly
letitfly

I am a product junkie, and am in no way, shape, or form, interested in anything he has to sell. Period.

Oats22
Oats22

I will not be purchasing, or recommending anything this guy is selling. I’m still disgusted by his statements, and also by his hair typing system that, in many ways, serves as yet *another* divisive tool in the black/natural hair community. Not to mention that “1” is straight, and the last/“4” is African hair types…lemme not even get into it. Won’t be buying.

Bridget
Bridget

WE need to do some research on the effects of these CHEMICALS on our bodies. NO one is doing any kind of research of health effects of these chemicals. REALLY?? Why is only in our community is the straightness of our hair more important that our health?

la*belle
la*belle

You see, even relaxed hair can be worn naturally.”

ARE.YOU.SERIOUS?

Mr Walker, please do yourself a favour and walk-er way.

Asi Chii
Asi Chii

Lol, naturalistas dont take no mess. the majority have opted to show their disapproval or support using thumbs up or down, cause “aint nobody got time for that”. Mr “Walk-er way”. Go sit down somewhere!

Juliana
Juliana

lol he saw those dollar signs pop up in his head and started to run with it. Many people who don’t support or understand the whole idea behind going or being natural are jumping on the “movement” to make a profit. Can you blame them? Not really. Is it right? Ha, not at all.

Shaunie

Kinky hair has limited styling options? LOL so untrue, maybe YOU are just not innovative enough. How about SHORT hair has limited styling options because as long as you have length to your hair, there are infinite amount of ways to style it. My hair is natural and long and I can think of numerous styles to do. Some might be outrageous to some people, but still a style’s a style.

Btw not buying your products either.

Chachamusicgirl

Honestly I’m so tired of him. He needs to calm down and go suck on a cucumber because his mouth is out of control.

Mel Stevens
Mel Stevens

I have all the hair products from pro naturals and they work extremely well, check them out online, they are totally worth it

NnayaR H Y T H M
NnayaR H Y T H M

The guy is clearly delusional. Moving on…