Actress Tia Mowry Speaks Out About Big Chop + Straightens Her Pixie Cut

Avatar • Oct 14, 2012

A few weeks back we posted photos of Tia Mowry rocking a curly teeny weeny afro. The actress has also been spotted with a straightened version of the look and it’s absolutely gorgeous! She recently spoke to US Weekly about her big chop experience:

I cried! I’m just going to be honest with you, I definitely cried. I really wasn’t expecting the shock value… A lot of people ask me, ‘What advice would you give to women who want to chop it off?’ I said, ‘Don’t think about it because if you do you won’t do it.’ But it’s very liberating and it definitely saves time…

I am so happy that I decided to cut my hair. It literally takes me three minutes to do my hair. I get out of the shower, put some conditioner in it, and it’s just ‘let’s go’ and I love that! I think it’s very very important to find products that allow us to be able to have more time to do things like that.

What do you think of Tia’s new look? Click below for more photos.

African Violet
African Violet

I LOVE it! In the first picture, she’s got a Josephine Baker vibe going on. She looks very lovely in the following two photos as well.

KaraJ
KaraJ

LOVE IT!!!

Jae Mac

It’s a very pretty look for her, sophisticated. I like it, fits her face.

DiJah
DiJah

I think it’s very very important to find products that allow us to be able to have more time to do things like that.” — Tia.

Let the right company see that quote and snatch her up as a spokesperson for their product lol

Gail
Gail

Definitely cute!
She’s beautiful no matter what! And she seems confident and this matters!

goldenbronze
goldenbronze

The haircut is adorable! I wouldn’t call it a TWA because she doesn’t have kinky hair. It’s just a short haircut.

Odi
Odi
Reply to  goldenbronze

When did TWA and Big Chop become words that only pertains to the “kinky hair ” community. Sigh * , as we continue to create classification and put ourselves in boxes with labels, we as a natural hair community will never be a sisterhood.

O0oro0O
Reply to  Odi

I might be wrong since I speak french but TWA stands for teenie weenie AFRO, it can be the reason why she thinks it does’t fit this cute short hair style. Maybe the first days when she wears it curly some might use twa. As for big chop she didn’t say that it can’t be called this way 🙂

srf
srf
Reply to  Odi

Stop trying to stifle other’s opinions. You created a box called sisterhood. What are the qualifications for this sisterhood?

Tonya Juanise
Tonya Juanise
Reply to  Odi

OMG…pick..pick..PICK. Tia’s hair wouldn’t classify as a TWA because the last time I checked the acronym TWA stands for Teeny Weeny Afro and Tia clearly does not have afro textured hair.

SKH
SKH
Reply to  Tonya Juanise

Afro’s come in variations of curl.…stop falling for the okie doke people..sheesh. It’s just the name of a hairstyle…damn

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

She and Tamera are gorgeous!

B
B

When you have her hair type and texture you can rock it long, short, curly or straight and it will always look good

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  B

So ONLY when you have her specific hair type it looks good atall different lengths? *Sigh* I see we still got a LONG way to go.…

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  Vonnie

JUst ignore comments like this. WHether a haircut suits you is based on facial features, head shape etc and lots of things. People say this type of thing to start arguments or troll.

B
B
Reply to  Nooni

Learn how to spell BEFORE you start insulting someone. WHether is not a word!! And, yes she has that GOOD HAIR deal with it!

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  B

, your statements are laughable. I’m gonna take a page from Nooni and just assume you’re either a troll looking to stir up some controversy, or a heavily misguided individual. Either way, you might as well exit stage left, because your “good hair” sentiments won’t be agreed on or welcomed here.

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  Vonnie

I’m a bit tired of someone coming on these types of websites and saying something like, e.g. ‘only lightskinned girls can wear type 4 hair,’ or something similar and you get 10 million reply comments. While the reply comments are well meaning, I think leave people to their silliness and not dignify it with a response. They want to get a response and their no point feeding into that. If B believes good hair exists, that’s her problem.

blacklikethat
blacklikethat
Reply to  B

Lol! Whether is a word. Look at a dictionary.

T.B.
T.B.
Reply to  blacklikethat

+++

MikMont
MikMont
Reply to  T.B.

lol! I was thinking the same thing. But maybe she was referring to the capital H???

Antonette Holt

This do is fresh and vibrant. It separates her from the crowd and makes her stand out more. Not to say that length doesn’t suit her; It’s just that it’s very mundane and ordinary.

Sheena M
Sheena M

Gorg!! I love it! She looks very mature.

Carla

The haircut looks great on her and you can tell that she FEELS great too! That’s the most important thing…you feel great with your new look 🙂

Norline
Norline

i think this look make you lost ur beauty. It makes u look older.This is so not u. still love u though

Gretchen
Gretchen

I’ve always assumed that the term big chop was coined for the natural community when you were cutting out the remainder of the product in your hair as you transition into being natural. I’m just wondering does she or doesn’t she have product in her hair to help it straighten out some or did she just get a hair cut? If its a short hair cut it is very cute just wondering if it should be called a big chop?

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  Gretchen

Seeing as though her hair is a naturally curly texture and I haven’t seen her wear it in that state in YEARS, it could be possible she either had heat damage or some kind of chemical process done. If that was the case, in my eyes it would most definitely be a Big Chop.

LaWana
LaWana

She looks so beautiful and sophisticated!

Joserico
Joserico

She’s really pretty… 🙂

Afrochelle
Afrochelle

Short hair looks gorgeous on her, really brings out her eyes.

Here’s her with her natural texture:
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/tia.jpeg[/img]

Trina
Trina

The haircut fits her well. It gives her an edgy glamorous look.

Lillian Mae
Reply to  Trina

I agree. She really looks great with the short cut. Long hair hides her, IMO.

JenniD
JenniD

Why does this website keep getting pictures of celebrities hair and asking ladies what do you think? It just causes stupid tit for tat arguments about good hair and other nonsense. Who are we to weigh in on someone’s hair choice? Just because some one is black or biracial and has textured hair does not mean they need our opinion and valadation. I don’t get the purpose these types of posts.Then you add “and she straightens it” in the title as if to stir the pot some more. Her hair looks nice, really suits her face. A nice leap from… Read more »

FloridaHoneybee
FloridaHoneybee

I hate to be a negative Nelly but Tia and Tamara are annoying.

They are so…artificial in an aspartame kinda way–like the annoying nice person at your job always bringing in cakes and cookies–

one of them really whines a lot—yeah I know they are richer than me and have a television show–but gosh darn they are…

just horrifically artificial—

NaturalW
NaturalW

I hate when people judge personalities! That is what makes a person unique. It seems like you may have some underlying issues going on from reading this comment.

kashif
kashif

She looks so beautiful with new short hair cut.I love her hairstyles so much.You might also love the following:http://www.styles-new.com/hairstyles/medium/long/

dee
dee

It is BEAUTIFUL! !!!!!! this Tia @ her best

SerenadasPen

She looks fab! Looove it. Gives her a hot new look. I’m sure she’s strutting around like a vixen now. Everyone loves sexy short coifs like this. Anyone who says otherwise is just jealous. When my hair was cut that short I didn’t know how to act. I saw a new person. She had more than I did. Mine was relaxed and cut mega short and it was a challenge having it maintained because there wasn’t much hair to curl it felt like I was getting burned so it was short-lived.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Myhaircut11-30–06009.jpg[/img]

Daphyne
Daphyne

I think it looks great. Curly or straight. With her grade of hair its very comforting to see that she can make it work. But shes got a point, there is lots more to do with shorter hair.

trackback

[…] their natural curls. Tia Mowry says, “it’s very liberating and it definitely saves time”(“Tia Mowry Speaks Out About Big Chop + Straightens Her Pixie Cut”). People who wear their hair naturally feel more connected to their culture and feel like they […]

Joanna Dell
Joanna Dell

If she’s going for a gorgeous Josephine Baker look, she hit it dead on. Love it. I normally don’t go for relaxed hair on sisters, but I really think this style suits her perfectly.

Crystal
Crystal

I don’t like it. I think she is very attractive and simply looked better with long hair. I don’t understand this desire for women, black in particular to cut their hair off when long hair is so beautiful and feminine. I realize many will not agree with me but this is my simple humble opinion.

Treezy F Baby
Treezy F Baby
Reply to  Crystal

Before I really say anything else for the fear of sounding rude, I believe that short hair can also be beautiful and feminine.

Brianna
Brianna

I love her hair, I’ve been contemplating on doing this for myself over the summer sinces its hot ; but as a weave because I’m currently transitioning — a very long 10 months. I give her my props because she pulls it off — I’m sixteen and I’m not sure Kids my age will accept it as greatly as everyone excepts hers.

mary
mary

This comment is to my black sisters! Stop thinking that fake hair you bought and glued to your head that is now taking your hair out is beautiful! Stop trying to be what you are not! I had locs for twenty years and finally cut them off and I get more compliments with short hair. I don’t care about the compliments because I am pleasing me; however, short is cute and be happy with what God gave you! I applaud her for cutting her hair and she still looks beautiful!

GUEST
GUEST
Reply to  mary

Why are you implying that black women with long or medium length hair is fake? I personally think short hair is masculine. And I’m a black woman with medium length hair. Black women can grow their hair long, the problem is the chemicals some put in their hair is damaging and prevents the growth. My hair grows very fast and I have 4b/a hair armpit length(i keep it this short because it’s very thick, so it’s easier to manage at that length) I think hair that is waist length is also not attractive..It’s nice to have a balance when it… Read more »

DJ
DJ

Gorgeous! She rocks it well.

trackback

[…] Actress Tia Mowry rocking her cut […]

trackback

[…] Actress Tia Mowry rocking her cut […]

The Voice-Over

Lovee it. She’s found 2 gorgeous ways to wear her natural hear. I never thought of straightening out my twa into a pixie style cut 🙂

Rayar Johnson
Rayar Johnson

Please, Please Help us! In the February 14,2013 Wayne County Newspaper,( Front Page) It tells of the school violations and bullying and harassment my children have suffered in the WCSD,Mississippi. But, it did not mention that the latest of those threats were from the school KKK note. Now, this same girl where two knifes were found on her is back at school and sitting behind my child on their bus. This is not the first racial discrimination . My kids have a right to a safe school environment. The WCSD said they would handle it and they would prosecute and… Read more »

Rayar Johnson
Rayar Johnson
Reply to  Rayar Johnson

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/new4272.jpg[/img]

Rose
Rose

Thats the style for Tia. Short hair looks better on her than long hair. Long hair is not for all women. For example, I love Halle Berry with short hair but when she was wearing longer hair it took away from her beauty for some reason. News anchor Tamron Hall wears short hair similar to Halle’s and she is stunning. Black women need to realize that long hair does not necessarily make you beautiful. Im talking about those black women walking around with weave and those aweful wigs.

rita
rita
Reply to  Rose

some women wear “awful wigs” because they have alopecia. There is no cure for alopecia.

Precious
Precious

Love it, she looks beautiful in long or short hair 🙂

Joy StoDavis
Joy StoDavis

Tia you look MARV V V A LOUS girl show em how its done.….……