Ashley // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 2, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
A:
Hi! My name is Ashley Small. I’m originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma but after being here for 9 years I’m now a Houstonian and loving it! I’m a Digital PR Strategist and I own Medley Incorporated, The Brand Development Company.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
A:
I’d wanted to since I was in high school, but never had the courage to. When I went off to college, it just seemed like the natural thing to do. I can’t point to exactly what inspired me to do it but I knew that putting so much heat on it, matched with chemicals, wasn’t how our hair was intended to be treated. I even got to a point that I felt like I looked ridiculous with a texture that was other than my own…that’s when I knew it was time to do the big chop. I’ve been natural now for 6 years.

How would you describe your texture?
A:
Honestly, my knowledge of hair type is not very extensive. Perhaps because I feel that it can be divisive at times. My hair is thick. Some might call it coarse. It’s mine, and I love it;).

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
A:
I get my hair washed, deep conditioned, trimmed and styled every 4–6 weeks at Natural Resources Salon. In between appointments, I wash it at home and usually wear it blown out or curly in a variety of updo’s. In Houston, updo’s are perfect for the weather and easy to pull off when you’re on the go. I don’t use a large variety of products, but my consistent go-to one for daily hydration is the Conditioning Crème by Earth’s Nectar.

What does wash day look like for you?
A:
I wash and condition with Earth’s Nectar Mint Leaves & Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner. Then detangle using a Denman brush and Africa’s Best Detangling Moisturizing Lotion for Kids. Sometimes I’ll blow it out with my Deep Brilliance Blow dryer made by Chi or two strand twist it and let it air dry. Ultimately, I end up pinning it up and creating some type of updo.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
A:
My favorite go to style would be a pompadour in the front and one braid or two strand twists pinned up or held together by the Conair Upzing Clip. It’s been a lifesaver on busy days!

How do you combat shrinkage?
A:
I’ve noticed that if I section my hair off into about 8–10 two strand twists and sit under the dryer until it’s partially dry, I get a pretty nice-sized fro.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
A:
I’ve always had an unhealthy addiction to color. I’ve had to cut up to 5 inches off at time (on multiple occasions) due to hair color damage. That’s been my biggest challenge in maintaining healthy hair and growing it out. So I deep condition quite a bit.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
A:
Do experiment with products intended for children. Believe it or not, practically the entire line of Africa’s Best Kids Organic line works miracles on my hair. Do give it a lot of TLC. Wash and go’s don’t work for me. When I wash my hair at home, I put on a good movie, lay out all my tools and products and plan a night in to give my hair some attention.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
A:
Don’t go to sleep with it wet (without detangling it). I learned this the hard way. Use heavy product consistently. My hair started locking one time. It was a nightmare!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
To learn more about me and what I do, visit http://www.medley-inc.com. My random musings can be found at http://www.ashleysmallonline.com.

About Meosha

Ask Nia B

Ashley, you and your hair look absolutely WONDERFUL!!

felicia
felicia
Reply to  Ask Nia B

Your hairstyles are adorable.

Kennie
Kennie

Amazing hair, and the styles are quite neat and unique

J
J
Reply to  Kennie

I totally agree,natural hair is soooooo versatile and beautiful!

A.C
A.C

Beautiful hair and beautiful girl! I love the styles especially the jumbo flat twist style

Christy From Namibia
Christy From Namibia

I have a question to all the naturals. Do yall braid your hair with extensions aswell like for protective styles. I’ve fully trasitioned and during the process i wore wigs and weaves. I’m planning on wearing my natural hair towards the end of the year and i’d like to know if all the natural here braid their hair with extensions when doing protective styles. Or do you care for your hair without any weave’s wigs and extensions ?

Bee
Bee

Hey Christy, some of us do and some of us don’t. I also stay in Namibia and i use extensions to braid my hair cause they are convenient and save time and energy while keeping my hair protected. It’s also easier to moisturise my hair like this. It’s a personal decision and using extentions or not using them does not make you wrong or right. At the end of the day use a protective style that works for you.

Toya
Reply to  Bee

Hi Christy. Its really up to you. I use yarn braids when I need to do an extended protective style. The yarn is inexpensive, and I can still keep my hair/scalp clean and moisturized with them in.

Venus
Venus

I did wigs/half wigs to help me.… I would braid my hair down and use a wig or half wig so I can still co wash/moisturized/ and conditioned my hair to make sure it was healthy, while giving it a chance to rest and trying me styles all at the same time… Loved it

fluffy-in-flight
fluffy-in-flight

Hi Christy, I did nearly 2 years ago, big mistake, the texture of hair although looking like mine was much coarser and it did a number on my hair( let’s just say I had to go behind it with a pair of scissors) had to cut it down to 2–3 inches. Never again, each persons hair is different, but just know what can happen. I’ll never add anything to my hair again.

Rachelle
Rachelle

I mix it up, Christy from Namibia. Right now I just reinstalled afro kinky twists after wearing it without for about 2 weeks. This will stay in for about a month then I take down. I have no qualms about using extensions. Personally I love them and they give me a new look when my own hair needs a rest or is not looking @ its best, Just do you,

Tanya
Tanya

Oh my gosh, her styles are amazing!! Going to her blog now! PLEASE have tutorials!

V
V
Reply to  Tanya

I know right?! I’m praying for some tutorials. <3 her up-dos!

Jamzie
Jamzie
Reply to  V

yes! those french braids are to die for!! she is so gorgeous. I have a question tho, Ashley. Your braided/flat twisted updos r done on blown out hair? they r incredibly neat! U make me wanna learn to french braid even more!! But I cant imagine doing a braid that neat on my kinky hair.…do u have a youtube channel??
Stalker mode on!! lol

JenniD
JenniD

Nice up do’s. Christy most naturals don’t rely on weaves and wigs to style or care for their hair on a regular basis. Maybe for a change up every now and then but not as a must on a day to day basis. Some styles are dependent on the legnth and thickness of your hair. All you can do is experiment on some similar styles on your natural and see what you can do. Get creative. A good starting point would be to put in some two strand twists and some bobby pins. Hope this helps

JenniD
JenniD
Reply to  JenniD

I mean put in some twist and grab some bobby pins.

Love JAH
Love JAH

Hair Envy!!! I want to create some of these up do’s ! Simply beautiful

linda
linda

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/marapic.jpg[/img]…This is my 12 year old grand daughter Mara and yes this is all her hair …
We keep it trimmed that is the key!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/marapic‑1.jpg[/img]

HelloWorld
HelloWorld
Reply to  linda

No offense, but what does this have to do with the lovely, featured natural??

hassan
hassan
Reply to  HelloWorld

Barbara
Barbara

Linda, beautiful! How do you care for her hair on a day to day?

linda
linda
Reply to  Barbara

Well really just make sure that it is well oiled and trimmed we keep away from brushes and always use wide tooth combs on it whether it is flat ironed or natural like this small tooth combs are the enemy. When her hair is washed whether it is me or a salon, we divide and clip it into four sections and wash and condition each section separately. By doing it this way it does not tangle as opposed to doing the entire head of hair at one time. The comb out for natural hair regardless of texture is the enemy if… Read more »

nellboogie
nellboogie

Creative, Funky Style and GORGEOUS Hair!!!!! I love it!!!

Home Daycare

I love your hair styles.

Toya

Beautiful hair! I really like the flat-twist up do. I will be trying that soon. Oh, and I love natural resources salon. I’ve never been there, but I have gotten their newsletter and I watch the tutorials they give. I’m really good at doing by hair, but I would love to got to one of their hair bootcamps to get more info and be around other beautiful black women.

Sieta

I love your hair!

Fatty B.
Fatty B.

WOW! Gorgeous girl, hair, & i’m loving all the different styles! Go ‘head girl!

Avanti
Avanti

Ah-HA! So you’re the girl with the FABULOUS twisted updo in the first three pics that’s floating around the internet! I covet that style! It is simply magnificent! You are so friggin’ cute and so photogenic! That haircolor is perfect on you. And your styles are on point as well! Such an inspiration!

HelowAddicted on Youtube
HelowAddicted on Youtube

We have the same length and almost the same texture (by eye but we all know that the feel is never the same). I like her hair color too!

Rachelle
Rachelle

Yes I use Africa’s Best Kids Organics EVO & Shea Moisturizing lotion for 6 months now and its gr8…

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

She is absolutely beautiful! Wow! Oh, her hair too!

evadiva
evadiva

Lovely hair!

Enter this unique coupon code KAP753 when you shop at iherb.com.You can get $10 off your first purchase at iherb.com where you can buy affordable beauty products, natural products, vitamins and much more. All brands available.

Afua
Afua

Absolutely beautiful x
Africa’s best sure does work wonders for me too plus it’s very affordable..

Stéphanie

She’s so gorgeous !! Love her hair ! <3

Maryse
Maryse

my my my what lovely lovely updos. i will be practicing. awesome feature and beautiful woman!

DejaLynn
DejaLynn

u r so beautiful!!! I love ur hair styles!! Who does your hair, and r u on instagram??

Tabora
Tabora

I love how neat your styles are. Absolutely beautiful! Do you do your own updos?

urbanMILF

Ashley, you are just too fab for words!

BIGHAIR77
BIGHAIR77

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the different styles! i am in such a rut, but I’m not that skilled in styling my own hair. I will have to use some of your pics as inspiration and take to a salon.

somer
somer

Love her hair and all the up do’s and color…my hair was colored similar to hers.…she gave me motivation to try some up do’s and long for more color.

BlackOnyx03
BlackOnyx03

I LOVE her style! Everything is gorgeous — the hair, the updos, her! I need to get on this updo game! Please, please, PLEASE do some vlog tutorials!!!!! I beg of you!!!

Ashley
Ashley

I’m in love with her hair and style. She is a beautiful woman.

Virgini

Absolutely stunning!
What hair color is it, if I may ask? Looks gorgeous on you.
O ‘am so tempted to color .…..!!!

Kan