Ash // 4A Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Aug 27, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
A:
Hello BGLH community! My name is Ash and I am a Senior (whoop whoop!) at The Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida. I am an Exercise Science/Spanish major and I bleed garnet and gold! Go Noles! I was born in Virginia but I know Jacksonville, FL as home.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
A:
I’m going to be completely honest. I liked my relaxed hair. I was fortunate to not have many problems with breakage and damage like some have. It wasn’t until I moved out of my mom’s house and on to college that reality set in. I was paying around $80 a month for touch ups because of length and thickness and it was killing my pockets. I can still hear my mom saying “OK you get out in the world and you gonna see how it really works” lol!!

That statement has proven very true as I could no longer afford to get my hair done. I thought I could stretch my relaxers, but my new growth was AGGRESSIVE lol. One day in the shower the relaxed part of my hair began to pop off in clumps (see? aggressive) I big chopped and haven’t looked back since. Now I’m in love with my natural hair! On the 24th of this month will be 2 years. My last relaxer was in August of 2010 and I can’t believe it’s been that long!

How would you describe your texture?
A:
I believe based on looking at others’ pictures I am a 4A. My hair is coarse, but surprisingly soft lol and very thick.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
A:
In some of my photos you will see that I liked to experiment with twist outs, braid outs and even wash and gos in the beginning. Nowadays that has changed for me. I know this won’t get too many high-fives, but I am working towards being a straight-haired natural. I know this can be a taboo subject, but someone has to be the first brave soul. (go easy on me ladies) I just want to be as honest as possible. I deep condition and wash every 2 weeks. If my hair needs it I will deep condition 2x a week. I straighten once a month, sometimes twice, and if my hair is starting to revert a little (Thank you Florida humidity) I do bantu knots or I bun it until it needs to be washed again.

What does wash day look like for you?
A:
A wash day starts by using oil (hemp) as a pre poo. I wash with DermOrganic Shampoo and deep condition for about an hour with DermOrganic Treatment Masque. I use heat protectant, blow dry on cool and straighten. I apply no additional heat until my next straightening.

Derm Organics shampoo and conditioner are my staples. They do the job and have finally cured me of the product junkie epidemic. I get them from a salon, but they are surprisingly affordable. ($12–16 but last me 1–2 months)

Tell us about your hair color?
A:
My hair color is the natural color I was born with. This can sometimes make my hair naturally a little drier, but I make sure to give it the proper love and drink lots of water. I’m sorry in advance for any “color treated questions”.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
A:
If I ever feel like I don’t want to straighten one month I absolutely love bantu knots which I do using Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream, or I bun it. Even though I LOVE the different styles all you ladies do and sometimes will try one or two myself, I like to keep it simple. Simplicity is key lol.

How do you combat shrinkage?
A:
It is rare for me to wear wash and gos unless I’m rushing, so usually aside from straightening, any stretched style will do, i.e.: bantu knots, twist outs and buns.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
A:
Because I use heat I have to make sure my hair is always properly prepared before and properly repaired after. I’m pretty sure I’m 4a all over so my hair is fairly easy to work with. I have had slight heat damage in the beginning, but with proper hair care I have been able to keep my curls.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
Satin pillowcase / Deep conditioning

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
A:
Not using heat protectant / Blow drying on hot temperature setting

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
SURE!
Instagram: thatdam_ginger

About Meosha

Oma
Oma

Beautiful hair on a beautiful person. Your hair colour is so cool

Runawaygal©
Runawaygal©

OMG you look so young. My mind read “high school senior” in the first line lol.

I love all your hair 🙂 your so pretty.

theclasseone
theclasseone

I LOVE your hair and hair color!! It is so Beautiful!! I like the idea of being a straight hair natural!!!!!

DreamGirl
DreamGirl

What gorgeous hair!!! Loving the colour,how cool is it that’s its her natural hair colour.I also wanna be a straight haired natural,appreciate your honesty. Will try it when I take down my box braids.

Jo
Jo

Beautiful hair!I love your honesty on everything. 🙂

Nicole
Nicole

I LOOOOOOVE love love red hair — especially on black folks. And freckles! You are to DIE for gorgeous. Don’t feel bad for being a straight natural, white girls with curly hair who straighten their hair are also straight haired naturals if you think about it. It’s evident that you love your hair, straight or curly so rock on!

Nicole
Nicole

also, what is the commercial name of your hair color, I’ve been looking for pics with someone more or less my complexion to see how it looks on them and I’m thinking of some highlights maybe

Reply to  Nicole

I want to say its maybe auburn with some blonde highlights? lol the numbers 33 and 30 are the closest Ive seen on the color chart. hope this helps:)

Lela7
Lela7

I love the colour and the styling. I do have one question — why would her hair colour make her hair dry? Its just a colour.

AC
AC
Reply to  Lela7

Idk how to really explain it but my hair is like a shade or 2 darker…still red looking and it just looks DRY and sometimes it even feels that way, but when I dye it black omg…it just seems moisturized or not as dry. Maybe its in my head lol

Reply to  AC

Same here ..

Reply to  Venus

hey ladies!
like AC said its something about the color (not exactly sure what just yet) that makes lighter hair more dry. I find that my hair is much much drier than some of my natural friends who have darker hair. I definitely have to keep it moisturized which is why its easier for me to keep it straight. thank you for the positive feedback:)

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  ASH

That’s very interesting. I didn’t know colour affected moisture levels. Thanks for the follow up! 🙂

Aisa @4usnaturals
Reply to  Lela7

I believe there was another article with someone asking if lighter hair was more dry. People jumped down the girls throat but I say I think it is. I don’t know why it would be a cause for contention (although there doesn’t seem to be any in this case). Different hair colors have other different attributes. Also whatever makes it a different color may react differently to moisture. That’s my theory. My hair also looks super moist when dyed black but my regular color can often look brassy and dry. My hair has always been dry and I feel that… Read more »

Rhonda
Rhonda

I have an answer for you all. The darker the hair is, the more light reflects off of it. The lighter the hair is, the less light you have reflecting from it so therefore it will have a dryer appearence. Then throw texture in the mix of it all and it looks even dryer. So you have to ask yourself, is my hair actually dryer or does it just look dryer. Ash your hair is beautiful and it grew a LOT in 2yrs!!

JustLeavingaComment
JustLeavingaComment
Reply to  Rhonda

This is true. My hair is dark brown and it tends to look a little dry even when it’s well moisturized. If I henna, it will look darker and shinier for maybe a month or two.

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  Rhonda

That doesn’t really answer my initial question. I meant to ask why it would feel dry, not look dry. I think most people know about the impact of hair reflecting light.

Stevie

Gorgeous hair!

Beth
Beth

Loveeeee your hair color! And you have such a bright and beautiful smile.

Carla

Very beautiful and healthy hair! There’s nothing wrong with being a straight hair natural and don’t let anyonenmakenyou feel as though it is wrong! It’s your hair and as long as it/ you are healthy I don’t see anything wrong. This really shows the versatility of natural hair as well 🙂

NikNak
NikNak
Reply to  Carla

Even if it’s not healthy, so what. I used to be a natural nazi talking about how people damage themselves to fit some standard of beauty, until I started thinning. Now, struggling with my hair that only looks good straight now (IMO), I think to myself, even if people want to wear their hair one way, for all the wrong reasons, like to look less like a “slave” as one male put it to me, I am like ‘be happy and do you.’ Do whatever it is that makes you happy. This life is so short and unbrainwashing yourself seems… Read more »

Reply to  NikNak

Reply to  NikNak

This life is so short and unbrainwashing yourself seems almost kind of pointless if it makes you miserable in the process.”

i’m guessing you took the blue pill carla.

Gladys
Gladys
Reply to  merry

Lol

NikNak
NikNak
Reply to  merry

LOL! Remember that dude who took the red pill, then went on a killing rampage to get back in the Matrix. HE should’ve taken the blue pill.

Some people just ain’t ready, nor will they ever be ready, and IMO, it makes no sense trying to turn their whole world upside just because I think it’s the right thing to do.

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat
Reply to  NikNak

I hated that she was actually apologizing for how she wants to wear her own hair. For what? It’s her hair. Natural hair is versatile, some more than others. It can be worn staright or kinky/coily. I am a natural who doesn’t heat straighten and hasn’t since my BC five years ago (I am deathly afraid of heat on my strands, there I said it). Well, I was no more self-aware before I stopped straightening than I am now. I do my thing and believe in letting others do theirs.I realize that some naturals politicize being natural and like to… Read more »

Kai
Kai

Gorgeous hair! What is the name of the flat iron and heat protectant you use?

Reply to  Kai

I use chi products and flat iron 🙂

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  ASH

How do you limit reversion?

mlank64
mlank64

This is a perfect example of why I went natural-versatility!!!
Your hair is gorgeos and the color-wow. You can rock straight, curly, bantu, twisted, wet-n-go. I mean the possibilities are endless. It looks very healthy too. Really lovely.

Landry
Landry

I second what others have said–there is NOTHING wrong with being a straight haired natural–do you boo!

Your hair is gorgeous by the way, and I LOVE your natural hair color!!

April
April

OMG I love love love your color!! It’s beautiful!!! I tried to do something similar w/ dye but my hair likes to be free of all chemicals and left alone so needless to say I’m going back to my natural jet black hair… I also love that you are a straight natural and aren’t afraid to admit it. Some naturals get all crazy and say why go natural but I it’s about healthy hair and what the individual prefers!! Thanks for sharing your story!! I’d love to hear more natural straight stories and how you maintain it while exercising…

Love JAH
Love JAH
Reply to  April

Yes! Please tell us how you maintain straightened hair during workouts…I think I’m gonna invest in the workout hair tie from Nicole Ari Parker…any tips other than that?…

Reply to  Love JAH

hey ladies! It is a huge relief to be able to admit it. i think the first thing people assume is that I’m ‘brainwashed’ but having it straight allows me to retain more length than anything and I take extra precautions to keep it healthy foremost. as far as working out I bun my hair usually and if its reverting back I will do the bantu knots on the 4 day straight hair and its GORGE:)!!

Kitka
Kitka
Reply to  ASH

Ha! I love the honesty. If I were honest I would admit that I never intended to straighten my natural hair only 1–2x a year. I’ve perfected my technique, and I feel okay to straighten more often because I won’t dye my hair. I work out too, so it’s easier for me not to straighten my hair right now (and during the warmer months).

danny
danny

Beautiful!!!!! What do you use as a heat protectant?

Cia
Cia

In love with the color!! Beautiful hair! Good luck with your last year of university!

Talisa
Talisa

I dont get that her natural hair color makes her hair dry if its her NATURAL hair color… (the red). Anyway, gorgeous hair & girl nonetheless

Love JAH
Love JAH
Reply to  Talisa

My natural hair color is black, and my hair is notoriously dry. Maybe it’s not the hair color rather her hair that is just really thirsty…and red hair on the average is finer and drier than blonde or brunette hair

Reply to  Love JAH

My hair is naturally sandy brown in some parts.. And for some reason those parts are always dryer and more coarse then the rest of my hair… I usually have to moisturizer those areas more. I have no idea why though

kwl0711
kwl0711
Reply to  Venus

Second dat.…

Jax
Jax
Reply to  Talisa

It’s definitely possible… I have natural blonde highlights in the front of my hair and it’s always ridiculously drier than the rest of my hair. My hair is super dry in general, but that portion requires more attention.

Ari
Ari
Reply to  Jax

Lighter hair is more course probably. Isnt that why grey hair can be so wiry? Maybe the lack of melanin has to do with it.

Shaunda
Shaunda

Love the hair! Nothing wrong with wearing it how YOU want to wear to, it’s yours! And I went to FSU too…Go Noles!!! 🙂

Wendy
Wendy

ridiculously cute!!

Avanti
Avanti

You probably know the jealousy you’re causing with this naturally AWESOME red hair! TOO CUTE! I must admit I’m a bit of a natural nazi on the down low so initially the straight haired natural statement made my eyebrows start to come together but the point is YOU’RE NATURAL! You’ve made the effort to make sure your straightened hair is both HEALTHY and CHEMICAL FREE so no other natural should have anything negative to say about your choice. I know plenty of naturals who wear nothing but straight styles and I adore them so I adore you too! (See natural… Read more »

Reply to  Avanti

LOL! I really appreciate that. Im already getting a little backlash but I expected it. I love that the my hair is VERSATILE more than anything. I’m all about retaining length and having healthy hair and straightening it has allowed me to do that. its just frustrating when others think Im not a natural when I have gone through and CONTINUE to go through the exact things that those who wear their hair curly do. Water is the great equalizer lol! but regardless I don’t want it to ever be misunderstood that I dont love my curls! I love them! 🙂

Avanti
Avanti
Reply to  ASH

And love of your curls fuels your desire to be fierce either way! Who cares what others think? I myself love to wear my hair in curly wavy styles and about twice a year I get an itch to flat iron it and when I do I’m bored, haha. But if straightened suits you and you’re most comfortable with it that’s your prerogative. We should really support our fellow naturals when their hair is healthy and not just because it’s styled a certain way. I’m not a fan of adding chemical color or wearing weaves, but I can appreciate the… Read more »

Reply to  Avanti

i’m a sgt in the natural police and i don’t understand why anyone would be jealous of her red hair.

seriously? what’s there to be jealous of?

her hair’s pretty, but it ain’t the most beautiful head that’s been posted here. there are other heads of hair i’d definitely like to have.

maybe you’re jonesing for her hair and/or elevating her look.

Reply to  merry

I haven’t seen one comment on here saying it is the most beautiful head on the planet nor do I expect to see that. as far as “elevating” my look that is YOUR opinion. others may feel different.

people don’t have to be open to everything everyone does. understanding that would be an evolution.”

…your words

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  ASH

+1000

Reply to  ASH

“You probably know the jealousy you’re causing with this naturally AWESOME red hair!” avanti’s words… my words…i stick by them all. please revisit my train of thought and words i was commenting on. clearly, she started by saying people would be jealous of you/your hair because of its natural color. i’m saying, the color should not/is not a reason to elevate you or your hair. in this statement, she has elevated you/your hair just because its color is different. i don’t think i’m misreading anything. and no, i don’t understand why there would be jealousy at all. as i’ve said, there… Read more »

Reply to  merry

The fact that a grown woman refers to herself as ‘a sgt. In the natural hair police’ shows that she has issues. You are attacking this girl for something someone ELSE said… Did pointing out you dont think her hair is great make YOU better? Otherwise you wouldn’t have made it a point to say so. Typical person trying to uplift your own self esteem by downing others… Self worth.… Get u some and pray about it

Reply to  Venus

lmao.

it’s a frickin joke. you know…people always referring to the “natural” police. dang. get a clue.

:roll eyes:

geesh…

Viv
Viv
Reply to  Venus

— Girl, PREACH!!!!!!

Cee
Cee

prettyy! Everything. and cool hair color that so awesome! 🙂

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

That’s that you’re going to get heat damage. Why can’t we embrace our texture. She shouldn’t on yhus blog if she wants straight hair all the time

Reply to  TINA SMITH

Here you go.…

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Venus

LMBO!! +1 Accurate. @TinaSmith stays upset.

ListlessAgent
ListlessAgent
Reply to  Venus

LMAO! +2

treece12
treece12
Reply to  TINA SMITH

Dang @ Tina Smith always has an ax to grind, lol. Wasn’t she upset because a previous feature was natural before Youtube (Denys)? Tina dear, why are you so invested in the way other women wear their hair? You really shouldn’t let other people’s choices (appear to) annoy/upset you so

Reply to  treece12

Lol she was also upset Bc another woman said she didn’t have to braid or wear protective styling for her hair to grow.… A little prayer will do her well I think

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  TINA SMITH

No Tina Smith. YOU shouldn’t be on this blog if YOU are going to spew such one-sided ridiculousness all the time. Evolve. It does a body good.

Reply to  Shannon

how does being open to straightening hair mean that you’re evolving?

i see no correlation between those ideas.

if she doesn’t understand why a natural would be so into straightening her hair, that’s her prerogative. it’s a blog/forum where people express their opinions. that means they may not be yours. but, unless the blog owner deletes or blocks comments, she is entitled to her comments/opinions just as you are yours.

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  merry

Seems to me you see the correlation just fine.

and just as you felt compelled to comment on my opinion, I felt compelled to comment on hers.

So…

Reply to  Shannon

i’m glad you understand that people are free to comment and have their own opinions. makes no sense to get annoyed with people who have an opinion on a forum of all places. i don’t attempt to squash people’s efforts to say what they want to say. that’s the difference.

and nope, imo, there’s no correlation between evolving and wanting to always straighten your hair.

if that’s the case, then why not throw some creamy crack in the hair? that’s evolution…i mean, then it wouldn’t revert at all.

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  merry

Just so that we are clear, my response to Tina is NOT in reference to her opinion on straight naturals. It is regarding the fact that on many posts she is negative, telling people they have no right to be on this blog, making comments about how she can’t stand this or can’t stand that. I don’t personally care if someone else straightens their hair. Nor do I care if people are opposed to it.

Reply to  Shannon

Exactly… My response to Tina is the fact that she is ALWAYS negative on these posts… ALWAYS saying how someone doesn’t have the right to be on this blog Bc they don’t fit HER standards of what natural is. There’s plenty of things I see I wouldn’t do or don’t free with and I just MOVE ALONG. What’s the point in being angry.. ALL THE TIME

AD
AD

Nothing wrong with liking your hair straight. I’m the same way, and three years’ natural. What heat protectant do you use?

Reply to  AD

I use chi products and chi flat iron:)

lively

Nice hair color and beautiful curls. I don’t really see a person as truly natural when the majority of the time they wear it, it’s straight or in a weave. Im surprised no one else has said anything about it, but let someone say they are a 3c and look like a 4b, chicks on here would have been going crazy! I guess because of what happen to your hair when you had the relaxer, kinda forced you into being natural. With that being said at least you do wear your natural hair sometimes!

nellboogie
nellboogie

That hair color and those freckles!!!! Girl, you are stunning!!!!!

Venus

I love this feature.. It’s the one I can relate to the most.. My hair wasn’t damage or broken off when I permed my hair and indidntnhave some huge disaster to make me natural either. I didn’t get my first perm in high school so I already knew my natural curl pattern. I went natural Bc i discovered that I could be more versatile as far as styles if I stopped getting perms… I’ve worn my hair completely curly for 2’years straight (and I love them) but now my hair is BSL and I want to enjoy Flowy hair for… Read more »

Reply to  Venus

*i didn’t have

Reply to  Venus

Thank you. its nice to hear more stories like mine 🙂 good luck to you !

NeX P

I love it I love it! Beautiful healthy hair and Ash is a doll baby!
I’m a 4A as well and straighten maybe 3–4 times a year. I would do it more, but it’s so time consuming and my hair has enough problems maintaining moisture.

I’m a product junkie and, even though I have my fave products, I try out others to see what results I will get from them. I need to go to product rehab though…it’s ridiculous…

Q
Q

LOVE IT! I am a natural who only wear my hair straight too. I love the fact that you embraced what make you HAPPY!! Love the hair and cool. I am happy that there is someone out there just like me and loving it.

Amanda
Amanda

this is one of my favorite features to date. the combination of her hair color and skin color (and the fact that it’s all natural) is so gorgeous

treece12
treece12

She’s gorgeous with beautiful hair. Girl, do you! Don’t let anyone tell you how to wear your hair; it’s yours. Great interview

JenniD
JenniD

Her hair is very pretty and looks well maintained. However I don’t see the point in features like this. There is nothing wrong with keeping your hair straight,but the tag line to this very site is “celebrating the dopeness of natural hair”. I thought that was meant to mean celebrating the texture you have and maintaing that texture as is. Hec we all know how to get straight hair! More and more so called natural hair websites are promoting these type of things and it just makes one go “huh?” If you keep your hair straightened all the time YOU… Read more »

Reply to  JenniD

The misconception about “straight hair naturals’ is that the hair is straight 24/7. As you can see from the pictures I do much more with it than just straighten it. wearing my hair this way has allowed me to retain my length much better than anything I’ve ever tried. the point is to show and share MY natural hair journey because regardless of what the finished product is, I still big chopped. I still have bad hair days. and I STILL deal with my natural texture and LOVE it. im actually sitting at the comp right now with a head… Read more »

NeX P
Reply to  ASH

My sentiments exactly! I wanted to go natural so I would have more versatility with my natural hair…if I wanted straight, I could do straight or if I wanted curly, I could do curly. Natural to me is chemical free. Whether straight or curly, as long as you have let the lye die, you’re all good. My main goal is to have healthy hair no matter which way I choose to wear it. Your hair looks great, Ash, in every style you have posted; it looks healthy and full. As I said before, “Love it!!”

JenniD
JenniD
Reply to  ASH

No offense taken. I get what you and others are saying. I re-read your entry. It is my fault for not understanding the main purpose of this site which is to grow long hair not a ” no altering texture natural hair” website. Diffrent hair sites and blogs have a diffrent voice and focus. People go natural and stay natural for diffrent reasons. Its not about you big choping and still having bad hair days and occassionally wearing your hair Nappy( yes I said nappy.)I’m not calling you out for being a fake natural because you are not.I will just… Read more »

Reply to  JenniD

I feel as if you are reading too literal into things. if straightening my hair is “altering” my texture than my curls would cease to exist every time I decide to wash my hair. but they always come back. those “clumps” you speak of come from bad hair care practices. period. relaxed/natural/straight natural etc. I actually had more hair breakage when I was always wearing it curly than I do now. this is what works FOR ME. I don’t expect you to understand or agree because I’m sure we have different hair journeys. but I wonder if you feel just… Read more »

Reply to  ASH

The point of all of these hair sites it to share and exchange ideas on how each INDIVIDUAL takes care of their hair Bc the fact remains tht everyone is different. I’ve seen many naturals who claim that having straight hair helps their hair grow Bc it cuts down on breakage … Others claim protective styling is their cure all when others (including myself) find that protective styling a useless to them… achieving HEALTHY hair is subjective to whose ever head the hair is growing from lol once again putting EVERYONE’S story on the site is a great thing..bc no… Read more »

Reply to  Venus

And can I also point out that this idea that there’s only ONE way to style and do natural hair is why SO many revert back to relaxers… I’ve seen it happen plenty of times.

Reply to  JenniD

you know what jennid, the blog owner over at nappturality.com doesn’t (when i used to visit) allow talk about straightening hair. i think it’s baffling to some people at times. but i think the reason it’s done is because they want to rid black women of the desire for straight hair — to sort of encourage them to fully embrace kinky hair. i mean, there is a constant pull on black women to have straightened hair. and having straight hair becomes like crack for a lot of black women. i don’t think there’s anything wrong with trying to figure out why… Read more »

Reply to  merry

LOL!!! obvious troll is obvious.
bottom line: its my hair.
you’ll live.
have a good night!

Zanthe
Zanthe
Reply to  ASH

There was nothing troll like about that post. merry often posts on here. Just because her opinion differs from yours, does not mean she is out to get you. You’re happy with straight hair but surely you knew that some on this site would have something to say that you may not have liked. I think overall you got a positive response.

Melia
Melia
Reply to  JenniD

Natural and curly aren’t mutually exclusive. I think this was a nice article because it shows the options of having natural hair. I’ve been natural for 3 years and I’ve yet to wear my hair straight. Why? Because I’m too scared to do so. Seeing stories like this help by explaining the importance of heat protectant. While stories like this may not matter to all…it does matter to some. I hope this helps. Have a blessed day!

Reply to  Melia

+100000

Reply to  JenniD

I believe this is where personal perception comes into o,at. She hasn’t permed her hair for years so technically she is ‘celebrating the dope ness of natural hair’ Bc fact is our natural hair is so dope that we can have ANY and every style we want and still be healthy. How is that not celebrating it? When women use braid outs and twist outs or Bantu knot outs they are STILL manipulating their texture if u thnk about it lol but no one gives them any flack for it. I think more people need to embrace the versatility we… Read more »

Reply to  JenniD

And while these articles don’t relate to you and others like you.. It’s obvious by this posts there are many naturals like her including myself that took the same journey with their hair… I would assume its fair to post stories that EVERY one can relate to right? Bc honestly.. I can’t relate to people who have super thick, 4c etc etc hair Bc my hair has a looser curl…but I completely understand why there’s plenty stories about them… Just as there are posts about hair types like mine… Bc point is we are ALL natural. Period

Reply to  Venus

I really couldn’t have expressed this any better. no limitations, just possibilities! 🙂

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  JenniD

IA JenniD,

beauty85
beauty85
Reply to  JenniD

+1000 It’s ok to wear straight hair from time to time, but most of the time is a no no for me! I wouldn’t really be natural because I’m never showing my natural hair.

Mai
Mai
Reply to  JenniD

Actually, you can be a skinny and fat at the same time. It’s called SoFi and it means skinny on the outside, fat on the inside. It describes a person who has an unhealthy body fat percentage but still looks thin. Despite the appearance that person is still at risk for the same health problems that plague visibly overweight people. It sounds like I’m joking, but I’m legitimately serious.

LM
LM

I wonder if she trims her own hair or gets it professionally trimmed. She and her hair are beyond gorgeous!

Reply to  LM

I trim my own hair. I’m scared to let anyone touch it. lol

ta-ney-ney
ta-ney-ney

I wouldn’t and dont blame you one bit about being a straight haired-natural. I was just complaining about my hair. The only reason i dont wear my hair straight is because i was worried about my curls. now i dont care about my curls, because they dont care about giving me a hard time. ive been natural 2 years now and im ready for a blow-dry and flat iron.. its too much. these stupid fairy knots and hair poofing up seconds after you leave the house. you look totally different by the time you get to the car and i… Read more »

MELINDA BUSH
MELINDA BUSH

SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!

Jai
Jai

You are too cute and your hair is absolutely gorgeous!!!

DUVAL!!

Rachelle
Rachelle

Ash, Beautiful hair! I’ve found that the older I become, the more the red comes out in my hair. Be you…it’s simply gorgeous.

Kgm
Kgm

Love your styles and the natural color is awesome! And GOOOOOO GATORS!!!!! LoL

Reply to  Kgm

lol!!!!

Camille
Camille

Great feature. There is a line in my family in Ghana where, every generation, a few kids with red hair just pop up. It’s really lovely and eyecatching and people in the family always nod and say “Yup, s/he’s one of us!”

Veda
Veda

What do you do to keep humidity at bay when you wear your hair straight? And how do you keep your scalp from being a sweaty itchy mess after a week or so? I live in Hawaii and wearing my hair flat ironed doesn’t last long at all. It takes so long to straighten, it would be nice if I could make it last a bit longer.

Reply to  Veda

the more routine my straightening gets the more my hair lays down. I recently started to use this nuunat brazilian keratin leave in protectant. its not the actual chemical its like a conditioner. that has helped some. when it does start to revert, however I just do bantu knots to stretch it a little more. Im still learning though what works well with my hair. hope this helps some.

Adeyinka
Adeyinka

gorgeous! i’m in love with her hair color!

Randomosity
Randomosity

OMG you’re so adorable! I am definitely jealous of your hair color. You and my mother were both blessed to be gingers, and I’m stuck with this ashy brown color. Good luck to you on your senior year!

Kai
Kai

Boy! Some of these comments. At the end of the day, don’t we all alter our texture in some shape or form? Twists outs, braid outs, curl definers, curl outs.…whatever it may be. I guess only women who wear their hair as is,(right out of the shower) should be featured then.

JVD
JVD
Reply to  Kai

my thoughts 🙂 +1

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat

If someone feels that “evolution” or be “evolved” only happens one specific way, how evolved is that person in their thinking, really?

doing whatever you want to do in life (and hair) is true freedom and being evolved as a woman. I do pity the ignorance of those calling you, young sister “brainwashed” or clueless. It takes us a long time to ge to this place (it has taken me 33 years), but you will find it to be the most liberating experience you will ever have. Just because they are your color don’t mean that they are your kind.

ASH

I really appreciate the kind words. and you are right. Im 22 so I’m still learning these lessons for myself.

Desiree
Desiree

Hi Ash, Your interview was just what I needed to see today. I have been seriously thinking about going natural but like you, I was aiming for the straight look! It was so refreshing to hear you say that because I’m like so if I don’t want to wear my hair in curls am I wrong? I love your hair color — mine is the same color however, mine is not natural! I have a question though. When you say you blow dry your hair on cool and then straighten what do you mean? Do you use a straightening comb… Read more »

Reply to  Desiree

I just only try to limit the different heat tools I use. I use a blowdryer and a flat iron but to limit my heat intake I blowdry on cool air. esp on my ends. then I will flat iron. so really the blowdryer is only used to stretch it and not really to straighten. hope this helps

Jordan

You won me over when I read you’re an exercise science major…everything you do is awesome lol. Nah but your hair is gorgeous. You’re making me wanna straighten mines!! but back to my original hypenesss…ex. sci uniteeee! If you work out, do you do anything special to combat the sweat stress, if any?

Reply to  Jordan

I usually just bun my hair If I work out. as far as fighting reversion I usually dont fight it or I’ll do bantu knots instead. I only straighten once a month (if that) so after that 1 time if it reverts I’ll bun or bantu knot it until its time again. I really like to keep it simple. i think keeping it simple is what has helped me the most in retaining length. whoop whoop for the ex. sci!!

Jordan
Reply to  ASH

Ohhh okay cool thanks for responding && good luck ya senior year!

MsBayBeauty

I stopped relaxing my hair in 2007 maybe. It hasn’t grown passed my shoulders due to breakage. I’m blowdrying, lite pressing (roots), and then flat ironing. It’s a three step process for me 🙁 and I do it about 3–4x’s a month. I want to try natural styles, but I always resort to a slick back ponytail (brown gel).

I want to try flexi rods and much more…Help! I wish I could go a month with out heat/flat iron.

S.O
S.O
Reply to  MsBayBeauty

@MsBayBeauty why dont you try braids outs, bantu knot outs. Also since you are using heat you really have to think about heat protection and preventing damage, (so a deep conditioner is a must, maybe also include hot oil treatments, protein treatments). I would also suggest cutting back on heat since your hair is damaged, instead of 3–4 times a month maybe do it twice a month and then eventually once a month. You might need to find ways of making the style last if you prefer having straight hair, such as wrapping at night and protecting hair against humidity.… Read more »

Coconut And Cream

Aww she is so cute! I just want to pick her up and put her in my pocket

*there there Ash there there* lol

C+C

Alisha

Such an amazing beauty! Love, love, love this!

J.U.
J.U.

DUVALLLLL! I couldn’t resist lol…it’s my hometown too! You and your hair are very pretty 🙂

HeavnsGirl
HeavnsGirl

So… basically you can anything to your hair EXCEPT for chemically straightening it and still call your hair natural? Am I understanding this correctly?

Landry
Landry
Reply to  HeavnsGirl

Yep!

Bridget
Bridget
Reply to  Landry

Michelle
Michelle

Curly or straight, your hair is beautiful.

DD
DD

You and your hair are beautiful and yes she is still natural. It doesn’t matter if she wears her hair curly or straight that is the great thing about being natural you have a choice.

Kendra

Krys
Krys
Reply to  Bridget

+1000!

April
April

Your natural hair color is very pretty, and so is your hair. It’s thick and looks nice both curly and straight.

Kitka
Kitka

Beautiful! Loved this interview 🙂

You obviously take excellent care of your hair!

Annedrea
Annedrea

I commend you for trying the straight natural hair journey. Hopefully she can keep us updated.

Bridget
Bridget

For me, one of the benefits of natural hair is versatility. When I was permed I could only wear it straight. With natural hair, I can wear it curly or straight. Now folks want to tell me that I can only wear it curly. Huh? Just tired of folks telling me what I can do with my hair.

Omolola
Omolola

I love your hair and in Oct I will get mine flat ironed for the first time in 2 years!! so i feel u on being a straight natural…not sure how to do it myself just yet because of my texture.
Thanks for sharing :}

Omolola
Omolola

and I agree wtih the other ladies soooo tired of other natural folks trying to tell us what to do :}

Omolola
Omolola

HeavnsGirl
HeavnsGirl

I thought “natural” denoted the fact that you are letting your hair texture be- I don’t know… NATURAL, maybe? I just don’t understand the desire to use the word “natural” if you are heat-straightening. Not just this young lady, but people in general. If you’re straightening your hair, then the texture isn’t your natural texture, right? Is heat straightening supposed to be better than chemical straightening?? Some of you will be pissed off that I’ve even asked this question, but I am soooo not a hair nazi — just really trying to understand this. It makes no sense to me.… Read more »

J9
J9
Reply to  HeavnsGirl

By your definition, twist outs, hair products and even combing changes “natural” texture to not being natural. There is almost no one on earth that can be your definition of “natural.” She considers herself natural, because she has not chemically altered her hair. When she washes it, it returns to its Afro state, similar to braid outs, leave in conditioner & gel.

Stop being so technical and relax. Straightening her hair won’t change your texture, I promise.

Jaslove
Jaslove

I absolutely love your hair. I have a new hair crush 😀

SISSY
SISSY

Thanks for sharing Ash! You and your hair are beautiful!

HEAT STRAIGHTENED/KINKY, COLORED/NOT COLORED & NATURAL is totally a possibility to me! Hey be FREE TO BE FREE & LOVE THE VERSATILITY! LOL… did I just say nothing?

mrs. smith
mrs. smith

First and foremost…Ash your hair is beautiful!!! Color, styles and just the fact that you aren’t afriad to do different things with it. Second.…I’m really confused about something when it comes to being “natural” and then having hair that is “natural”. I’m pretty sure that all of the people who are very adamant about pointing out who should and shouldn’t be natural probably don’t inspect everything that they put into both their hair and their bodies. I have natural hair, I occasionally straighten it .…I use products that help me to manage it better (that are not natural), my children have… Read more »

Michelle

I love ur hair color! Goes great with your skin and makeup.

Mick
Mick

Awww. She is so cute. Most importantly, I appreciate that she is articulate. She will go far.

THIS entire conversation is why I refer to my hair as virgin hair (as opposed to natural). I am a natural that straightens. Let me rephrase that…Sometimes I straighten. Sometimes I roller set. Sometimes I twist, coil, or wash n go. My hair has flourished. It is thick. It still curls.

I didn’t want a relaxer. There really is no need for me to relax my hair. I just wanted healthy hair. I got it.

Good luck Ash!

HeavnsGirl
HeavnsGirl

Mick -

What you just said totally makes sense to me. The whole “I’m natural even though I straighten” is like “this is my natural hair color even though I dye it a different color.” (huh?)

But pointing that out and asking for a rationale behind using the term “natural” for a hair texture that is not natural, apparently, makes me a nazi separatist.

Uh-huh.

Joy
Joy

Regardless of whether it is heat-straightened or worn in a wash-and-go, your hair is beautiful and healthy. What more could one ask for? Loved this interview.

Blu
Blu

Ash, your hair and you attitude are both beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story.

Nikki
Nikki

It’s just hair…goodness…and her hair at that. She can do and call her hair whatever she wants. No explanation needed :/ Anyway beautiful hair Ash

Aisha

Wow, she’s beautiful! And her hair colour’s amazing, can’t believe that’s what she was born with, it’s gorgeous. Love the variety of ways she styles her hair.

trackback

[…] Ash (Featured in August) […]

THOMASSABOAUSTRALIARelatedArti

You have noted very interesting points! ps decent internet site. THOMAS SABO AUSTRALIA Related Articles http://ujw168.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=7605

lanvin en bleu shoes