Teesha // 4C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 28, 2012

Introduce yourself!
T:
Hello my name is Teesha aka Tee!  I currently live in Atlanta but am from Southern California:)  I’ve been natural for 8 years and have been fortunate to display the beauty of natural hair as a natural hair model, including for Jamaican Mango & Lime.

I have transitioned in my journey to living a healthy lifestyle…After realizing that there is certainly more to life than hair, my overall well being has become my focus.  With The Most High at the top of that list of course.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
T:
 I was graduating college at the time and since I was going through such a major change in life, it felt right to change my hair to reflect that transition.  Previous to doing a mini chop, I wore my hair in braids for low maintenance during midterms.  After 3 months of wearing the braids I decided to cut the braids and leave the new growth…took me completely by surprise, but it felt right!

How would you describe your texture?
T:
Overall I have thick, afro textured hair…The very back of my hair has random silkier ringlets, while the rest is drier and has less definition.  I LOVE it because it has proven to be extremely diverse:)  I think many woman are still learning to embrace afro textured hair, but the fact that I can make my hair stand straight up is so dope to me lol  Sure I can straighten it and have long hair.  I can even rock a little bit of curls with a wash and go.  But hair like mine can maintain twist and braids like nobody’s business!

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
T:
I keep it simple… 1. My hair is kept in loose chunky twist most of the time.  2. I finger detangle with oil during the week & just before co washing 3.  I co wash & deep condition my hair as needed.  4. When I decide to style my hair I take out the chunky twist & style.  5. I put them back in chunky twist at the end of the night for manageability’s sake 6. I typically moisturize with water and a mixture of oils. 7. Every now and then I’ll do a wash and go for fun!

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
T:
 I don’t style often, so I get creative with beanie caps and scarves that can be stylish and serve as a head covering.  When I do style my hair for an event I let my hair be as free as can be!  Big hair is my fav:)

How do you combat shrinkage?
T:
 Wearing my hair in chunky twist really helps with stretching my hair.  I don’t mind the look of shrinkage because I’m not concerned with showing my length, but because my hair gets really tangled at the roots it’s easier for me to maintain my hair when in loose chunky twist.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
T:
 I can’t speak for everyone with a similar texture to mine, but what works best for me is the mixture of water & oil for moisture as well as minimal manipulation.  I’m not one to have a different style every day or every week for that matter.  The health of my hair is most important so I’ve noticed that the more I keep my hands out of it, the more it GROWS.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
T:
 Although my hair is thick, it’s still fragile.  So, rough combing is not good.  I’ve also found that detangling in the shower while my hair is wet is a BIG no no for me…I lose too much hair and I loose patience AND get cold because the warm water runs out lol.  Finger detangling with Coconut or olive oil works best for me.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
T:
Absolutely!  I make natural body products such as bar soaps, body butter, & lip balms to name a few.  You can visit my website at http://reciprocitee.com (Pronounced Reciprocity).  You can also check out my youtube channel at http://youtube.com/NappturaliTee where I focus not only on natural hair, but being healthy overall!  I’m also on Instagram now!! Hehe You can find me under the name @nappturalitee.

Mia
Mia

Yessssssssssssssssss. Finally a 4c natural. And she is fly. I wish that hair was on my head. So fly

Reply to  Mia

Thanks so much Mia! I actually dont classify my hairtype (BGLH classified it on my behalf) b/c I feel like I have at least 3 textures in my head…but def. in the 4 family:) Thx for taking the time to read and respond!

df
df

this is pretty much what i imagined (ok hoped) my hair would look like a couple of years after going natural. It’s amazing stretched and in a fro. She and her hair are so beautiful. Thanks for the great tips!!!!

Reply to  df

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond! Glad you enjoyed the tips:)

Alisha

Yes, a 4c Lady! You and your hair are gorgeous!

Reply to  Alisha

Thanks Alisha! I actually dont follow the hairtyping system b/c most naturals have multiple textures (BGLH classified my hair on my behalf:) But I’m def. in the 4 family and love it no matter what lol I appreciate the compliment and thanks for reading!

treece12
treece12

Wow! Her hair is awesome and she’s gorgeous

Reply to  treece12

Thanks Treece12! Sweet of you to comment:)

Vonnie
Vonnie

Gorgeous hair, mentality, and overall aura Teesha!

Also feel her on being a hair minimalist, and not doing her hair in the shower. Saves time and money! I completely detangle, wash & condition OUTSIDE of the shower now.

Reply to  Vonnie

Thanks Vonnie! Glad you enjoyed the article…and yes, Im glad you feel me lol

anonymous
anonymous

Shows that beautiful hair does not have to have curls!

Reply to  anonymous

Curls are beautiful in their own right but so is mine darn it! lol Glad you feel the same way…natural hair is so beautiful in all its forms:) Thx for reading and commenting!

merry
merry

awww. a 4c. whoop whoop.

she looks great.

Reply to  merry

Hey Merry, Thx for reading and commenting! BGLH actually classified my hair for me, b/c I dont use the hair typing system. But to reduce any confusion Im def. in the 4 family (a,b,c) lol Its all over the place…and the random silky curls in the back?? no clue ha!

Precious
Precious

Could have sworn this was 4b hair. Some folks just have to have the last word on nappiness.

Reply to  Precious

Thx for commenting Precious…I actually dont use the hair typing system, so BGLH classified it on my behalf. I describe my hair as afro textured…so to me, that would be in the 4 family (whether a, b, or c) b/c quite frankly I have multiple textures in my head but the overall is afro textured. Either way, its what God gave me and I love it. Curls or kinks its all lovely on us:)!

mangomadness
mangomadness

Lovely lady with lovely hair!

I also detangle outside of the shower before shampooing. Detangling in the shower is a big no-no for my thick, kinky hair as well. I’d have so much unnecessary breakage, exessive tangling, etc. *shivers*

I love natural body products so I’ll have to checkout her company.

Reply to  mangomadness

Thanks for commenting! Glad you can relate:) People look at me crazy when I say I dont detangle in the shower lol And thanks for checking out my website as well…Peace

Carla
Reply to  Tee

I feel like a lot of women don’t detangle in the shower. I too use coconut oil or olive oil to detangle outside the shower…it makes the whole wash process SO much easier 🙂

Gorgeous hair!

tee
tee
Reply to  Carla

Really? Well that’s cool! Ive always heard ppl swear by shower detangling…but as long as we all do what works best. Thx for the comment and kind words:)

Fatty B.
Fatty B.

beautiful lady, beautiful hair!

Reply to  Fatty B.

Thank you Faith!

TonyaM
TonyaM

I agree with her…I have found that the LESS I fool with my hair the more it grows. I am NOT one of those naturals that HAVE to have a “wash day”…O_o My hair likes coconut oil and water as well…I have to pre-poo and put my hair in chunky twists before I can wash so I take advantage of that and mix coconut oil, shea moisture purification masque and brahmit powder and let it sit overnight.…and “my hair is layed like.….BUTTA BABY!”

Reply to  TonyaM

Awesome! Glad you found a routine that works for you as well…“BUTTA BABY” lol Thx so much for commenting:)

AnonyChick
AnonyChick

Yay, one of my favorite Style Icons in a while! Her hair looks like mine, so I found this interview very relatable 🙂 Loved it!

Reply to  AnonyChick

awww…wow, thanks! Glad you can relate:) Thx for reading and responding!

Abstract
Abstract

Oh yeahhhh that IS you! LOL. Though curls ARE gorgeous too, it’s nice to see real kinks celebrated instead of the constant obsession with curls and length. Best to you! I feel definitley check out your website!

Reply to  Abstract

Yes, afro textured hair can sometimes go uncelebrated but curls are def. just as lovely:) Thx so much for commenting! I appreciate the support…

Home daycare

You are sooooo pretty! I love your 2nd picture with you holding your hair. I can’t wait to have all of that hair…

Reply to  Home daycare

Thanks so much:) Be patient and enjoy YOUR journey…focus on overall health and Im sure your hair will be at its optimal potential!

Rain
Rain

Wow your hair is Gorgeous and so are you… def one of my fav hair icons, your hair is what I’m aiming for — love the updo in the 4th pic — is there a tutorial on it?

tee
tee
Reply to  Rain

Thank you so much Rain!! Are you talking about the pic of me in. Hb&w with the pompador? If so YES there is a tutorial for it…its on my yt under “Whoissugars I like how my hair looks contest entry (natural hair tutorial)

Styled Naturally

She is absolutely stunning! I absolutely love her hair! Going over to her youtube RIGHT NOW! 🙂

Tee

Awww…thanks Styled Naturally:) I appreciate it!

Toshia
Toshia

Tee hair is beautiful and I lover her yt channel!!!

tee
tee
Reply to  Toshia

Hey Toshia! Thanks a bunch:) Shout out to my subbies!!!

Ore
Ore

finally!!! A beautiful girl with 4c hair like me!
Now I know it’s possible to have my hair texture and grow it longer than it already is.
there is hope!!

tee
tee
Reply to  Ore

Awww…there is hope:) I actually dont go by the hairtyping system bc there seems to be so many contributing factors that should be considered. My crown is crazy dry and course wheras the surrounding areas are dry but not as course…kinda fluffy feeling when water is added and the VERY back has silky ringlets outta nowhere:/ check out my 5 healthy hairtips vid when you get the chance! Peace. <3

Niki

I love her hair!

Reply to  Niki

thank you!

ellenkalia
ellenkalia

your beautiful and so is your hair but on your profession, how didyou become a natural haired model.?

Reply to  ellenkalia

Hello Ellenkalia, my initial pursuit was in acting. I applied to agencies as well as submitted to castings on my own that lead to modeling opportunities. I would suggest doing test shoots with local photographers and using your photos to submit. Hope that helps!

Brand-d
Brand-d

Awesome hair!! Finally someone with hair similar to mine!

Reply to  Brand-d

Yay! 🙂 Thx for taking the time to read and comment!

Lee
Lee

It’s good to see a thick texture with longer hair … Society doesn’t see enough of that , and that’s why a alot of black women think their hair “can’t grow”

Reply to  Lee

Very true…Thx for taking the time to read the article and comment:)

Lilly
Lilly

A little bit late but I would like to transition from relaxed to natural and Jamaican Mango & Lime was recommended to me so you can imagine how glad I was to see this interview.

Could you please tell me if you use the product and if yes, if you do feel like it is making your hair grow faster?

Thanks!

Reply to  Lilly

I’m just now seeing this…sorry for the late response! I’ve used the leave in and LOVE the smell. But bc I’m not a product junkie I keep my product use to a bare minimum. I either make my own oil or butter mixtures or just use a natural oil by itself. I honestly don’t believe products grow our hair better than internal nutrition!!! I do scalp massages when it comes to my memory and do minimal manipulation. If I use a product I personally would choose an all natural one over synthetic. But hair will grow its a matter of… Read more »

'lina
'lina

Girl, you were atthe naturwl harir show!? I saw you! I was about to come over toyou an compiment you on your outfit and hair but i was pulled away by my impatient aunt before i got the chance lol. Go ‘head!

Reply to  'lina

Um thank you so much! what a nice comment because I’m soooo not a fashionista lol but I do know how to clean up! it would have been great to meet you. maybe next time..

Lexi

Who cares the letter & number.. that is some beautiful hair!!

Reply to  Lexi