8 Ways to Make a Twist Out Last a Long Time

Avatar • Jul 19, 2012

By Chinwe (pictured above) of Hair and Health

The twistout is one of many hairstyle options one can do to maintain healthy hair. It requires no heat usage, thus preventing heat damage. It can be worn for days at a time, therefore requiring little mechanical manipulation to our tresses. With the twistout there is no tension on the scalp, and thus no damage to the hair follicle. What’s more? It is a cute, summer hairstyle for any length of natural hair! Here are 8 tips to help your twist outs last longer.

1. Twist on 90% wet or damp hair.

Twisting on dry hair will produce a twistout that only lasts for a short period.  Rather, it is important to twist on wet or damp hair in order to achieve optimal definition and a long-lasting twistout.  Avoid twisting on hair that is 100% wet; fully wet hair is more prone to breakage via tension while twisting.  Also, allow the hair to dry completely before undoing your twists.

2. Twist using a mixture of a butter and gel

Using a butter (e.g., shea, mango) in combination with a gel will not only make for a very defined twistout, but one that allows for maximum wear.  The butter-gel combination will provide a soft hold for your twistout while locking in moisture.  However, be sure to avoid alcohol-based gels, which can dry the hair.

3. Coil the ends of the twists

For some naturals, twisting down to the very ends of the hair can lead to twistouts with frizzy ends.  An alternative method is to twist until just before you reach the ends of your hair and then coil these ends around your finger.  If your ends don’t quite coil with this alternative, then try twisting them very loosely as compared to the rest of the strand.

4. Wear smaller twists and for a longer period

The bigger your twists, the less defined the twistout, which in turn leads to quicker reversion of the style. Additionally, the shorter the period you wear your twists, the more quickly your twistout will revert as well.  The longest-lasting twistouts are achieved from wearing small to medium-sized twists for a minimum of 3–5 days to set.

5.  Do not borrow while twisting

While twisting for a twistout, do not borrow hair from one of the two strands along the way.  This tactic is usually done to compensate for a twist that started off with one big strand and one small strand.  However, undoing such a twist can lead to a disastrous, frizzy twistout.

6.  Do not over separate the twistout

Separate each twist into two sections, if possible, or up to four sections at the maximum.  Any further separation can contribute to frizz and shorter wear of the style.

7. Avoid humectants and re-moisturization (if possible)

Try to avoid moisturizers that contain humectants (e.g., glycerin, propylene glycol, etc.), which are meant to draw in moisture from the air and thus, may shorten the duration of your twistout.  Additionally, keep moisturizing to a minimum after unleashing your twistout.  In order to do this, moisturize before taking down your twists.  If you happen to be a natural whose hair cannot survive without humectants or re-moisturization while wearing a twistout, then choose health over duration of the style.  Frizz can still be minimized by opting for a light moisturizing spritz instead of a moisturizer you must apply by hand.

8. Secure the twistout before you sleep

For those with medium to long hair, put your twistout into 10–12 loose, big twists and cover with a satin bonnet.  In the morning, just undo the big twists and fluff your original twistout into place.  For those with shorter hair, there is no need to retwist prior to bedtime.  Simply cover your twistout with a satin bonnet.  In the morning, remove the bonnet and fluff your hair.  These methods will help to minimize frizz and reversion.

Ladies, how do you maximize the wear of your twistout?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

LaToya
LaToya

Great info. I always wondered why my dry twist outs looked wonderful but only looked like that for a couple of days.

Mcleand
Mcleand

Agreed, great article, now where is that damn gel, I’m gonna try adding it to my twist-out tonight.

DeeJ085
DeeJ085

I never thought about why my twist outs or braid outs would get so frizzy, but now I know that it was because I would remoisturize my hair after I took the twists down. I also am guilty of borrowing hair from other strands as I’m braiding or twisting, did not know that would create a problem when I undid them.

smartieskirts
smartieskirts

i’ve been doing these steps for years and my twist outs are the BOMB!!!

AJ
AJ

Thank you SOOOO much for this because I LOVE wearing my twists out but I am constantly learning something new about what my hair WON’T do…lol but with this list I realize it was because I was doing certain things wrong. So THANK YOU for this! I just LOVE everything about this site! You guys are the best natural hair care site out there! 🙂 No lie! 🙂 Thank you!

Landry
Landry

After washing and conditioning, I put my hair in large twists, then I sit under the dryer for about half hour to an hour and then twists my hair in smaller sections. It is mostly dry by then and stretched. Twisting on wet hair leaves my twists outs too tight and defined in my opinion.

I usually just twist using a butter of some sort, but I may try using gel for more hold.

Twist outs are my FAVORITE style, and I wear them 99% of the time.

Vonnie
Vonnie

I did Bantu knots this week and took them out. Didn’t quite get the definition I wanted, but now realize I didn’t add gel to the mix. Used to use it on my hair when it was shorter and my twists came out lovely!

Adeyinka
Adeyinka

Can anyone recommend a gel that is alcohol free? I really like the idea of mixing a gel and butter.

I will also try the avoiding humectants for a day or two after! I’m always ready to whip out the spray bottle aha. Now,I am anxious to take my crotchet set down to work on a twistout for next week.

Thanks!

Jaslene
Jaslene
Reply to  Adeyinka

Shea Moisture’s Coconut and Hibscus Curling Souflee is nice I use that with their Curl Enhacing Smmothie and my hair is still mosturized after a week. Use the souflee sparingly as a little bit goes a long way.

MommieDearest
MommieDearest
Reply to  Adeyinka

Eco Styler Olive Oil gel is alcohol free and it’s CHEAP! I use it and I get a soft hold.

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  MommieDearest

I use the IC Fantasia alcohol-free shine gel.

Chaka
Chaka
Reply to  Adeyinka

I mix aloe Vera gel and Shea butter.

lilie
lilie
Reply to  Adeyinka

Try cantu products, they have a variety.Join the discussion

Capri
Capri

Great info! I love twist outs (on other people) mines never seem to turn out right but after reading the above I see where I may have made my mistakes.What would be a good light moisturizing spritz? Thanks!

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Capri

I like AVJ + leave in 3:1 ratio as a spritz.

ang
ang
Reply to  Barbara

AVJ + leave in as a spritz; I will have to try.

hyspin
hyspin

Don’t forget do rope twists will also maximize a twist out. that is twist the individuals strands the opposite direction of the twist itself while twisting.

I find I get two to three day twist out if I do the method even when I don’t use product. Also three strand twist also seem to be secure especially if you want to don’t very small twists.
All those recommendations are sound.

hairscapades

I got a great braid out recently and I think it’s because my hair got wet in the pool and re-dried … it was also in for about 3 days. I only put in 12 braids … 6 each on each side.

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_5130.JPG[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_4998.JPG[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/shelliweionbeach.jpg[/img]

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  hairscapades

LOVELY!

hairscapades
Reply to  Vonnie

Thank you Vonnie!!

maralondon
maralondon

I always plait my daughter’s head twist or twists out in about 6 bunches(sometimes more) each night for her to sleep in then take them down the next day. The hair becomes more crinkly.

gracie
gracie

Thank you Loo! As someone who has been natural most of my life and aware of all the info online for a few years now, this is the first post I have read for months that gave me lots of useful tips that I never heard before. I’m looking forward to twisting!

chichi
chichi

Hi all, This is very frustrating. I did a twist out and it was a disaster! .my hair was so frizzy!!!!. I used Cantu Shea butter leave in conditioner, then just a dab of silver elements leave in conditioner, the some activator that is supposed to prevent frizz, then I used eco styler gel with argan oil to twist my hair.I let it drybut I looked pathetic. Its so frizzy and wont lay down when I untwisted. I just ended up putting it up in a bun. Then my hair had white flakes that I kept dusting off. Would my… Read more »

chichi
chichi

.meant .…… silk element leave in conditioner.….… not silver

LexusLady404
LexusLady404

Chichi I have what I call Jesus hair LOL like wool…I love Taliah Waajid’s Curly Curl Cream and a little water on my bantu knots. I use a few spritzes of the Protective Mist Bodifier for my leave-in…but not too much or your hair gets sticky. Some people mix the Bodifier with water but I now know what moderation is so I don’t LOL. Before I seperate the twists the next morning I put a little just a dab of Black Jamacian Castor Oil on the ends to control frizz if needed. BTW I’m 4b/4c with a small patch of… Read more »

LexusLady404
LexusLady404

And that EcoStyle mess of a gel is under my bathroom sink. I only use it to slick up my hair for buns the day before hair wash day. It flakes and cakes so bad after it dries mo matter if I use a little or alot. People love it but my hair hates it. I’ve tried it with a leave-in conditioner and without it…Sigh I only kept it because for $3.47 at Sallys Beauty Supply there is so darn much of it!!! It’ll take me 2 years to use it LOL.

mimi
mimi

Thank you so much! now l know why l had so much frizzl. Cant wait to try your suggestions. I will keep you posted on my results.

Frustrated Tee
Frustrated Tee

I’ve tried the twists but my hair is not very full, so so I make more smaller twists or is 6–8 good enough?

Frustrated Tee
Frustrated Tee

*should I make.

LadyLexus404
LadyLexus404

I think 6–8 works for ladies with longer natural hair or if you want chunkier twistouts. I actually counted mine and I do anywhere from 12–16 bantu knots. I get curlier results
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/AfterBantuKnots.jpg[/img]

Elaine
Elaine
Reply to  LadyLexus404

Too cute!

LadyLexus404
LadyLexus404

This is what it looks like when I use Carefree Gold Instant Activator Spray
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/MyHaloVSCareFree.jpg[/img]

LadyLexus404
LadyLexus404

This is what it looks like when I use Carefree Gold Instant Activator Spray

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/MyHalovsCareFree‑1.jpg[/img]

LadyLexus404
LadyLexus404

My first attempt at an actual twistout using just water and Taliah Waajid’s Curly Curl Cream on each section
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/177082_471643842845772_581532829_o.jpg[/img]

LadyLexus404
LadyLexus404

Side view
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/177781_471645999512223_1515669859_o.jpg[/img]

faith
faith

this website stinks its no help at all

awesome
Reply to  faith

i’ll have you know that this website is awesome and it has helped alot of people grow their hair

KD
KD
Reply to  faith

If you think it stinks just stay off of it and keep your rude comments to yourself. We love this site!!

hessboogie
hessboogie

The tips were very helpful. Thank you, going to see what happens tomorrow

Courtney Gambrell
Courtney Gambrell

I have an important question. I’ve been twisting for weeks! I am a new natural so this question may seem obvious. I usually retwist every 2 days but after reading this article I decided to just go with the flow and opted to not retwist. However, my hair is tightly coiled and my hair shrinks up to 75% of its normal length. Even the twists shrink, slowly but surely they shrink until the hug my scalp like mini dred locks. Is that due to my failure to retwist or is that because I am not wearing a scarf when I… Read more »

Treezy F Baby
Treezy F Baby

My shrinkage is pretty bad as well but I’m able to attain some pretty amazing twistouts some days that last almost a full week. I don’t know what your technique is, but your sleeping habits may be the blame. I would recommend a satin bonnet/scarf or even a satin pillowcase/pillow because cotton isn’t good for your hair. You may get better results if you retwist frizzy sections to maintain defined curls. Humidity can be another factor as well… I guess I’m mostly saying, do what works for you. You know your hair better than me lol

Odee
Odee
Reply to  Treezy F Baby

You might need more butter or whatever…I am using hair lotion and it seems to work well, this is my fourth day and they are still in tack!

Elaine
Elaine

I think it is gorgeous like that!

Tessie_g
Tessie_g

Straw curls would work well with your hair

KAi
KAi

It is because you are not wearing a scarf at night. Invest in a satin scarf to keep your twists in tact when you sleep. And use the tips from the article, they really work.

KAi
KAi

Sorry I posted this comment under the wrong photo. Let’s try this again…

Monique
Monique

My first natural style..i was truing to get my erykah badu on..but with my hair it’s a lot of work…i need moisture!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IMG_20130705_085443.jpg[/img]

jill
jill

Courtney. I think the problem starts at the beginning process of ur technique. I read u have to blow dry hair before twisting just to stretch it out so yes u would need to blow it out with a blow drying brush not just drying it cuz I mean then a simple air dry would be fine. But yes blow dry to stretch those pretty strands out and the shrinking should not be a problem that happens that often. Good luck!!! Hope I helped . I always do thorough research before I try something new so I might upload a… Read more »

Treezy F Baby
Treezy F Baby
Reply to  jill

I’ve never had to blow dry my hair before doing a twist out and I have MAJOR shrinkage. Maybe it has something to do with the technique?

Odee
Odee

I did my first twist outs ever. I have very short course hair. I hate them, they aren’t cute. (My boys LOVE them) I don’t really want to braid anymore because I get tired of twisting my body every which way making my back and arms sore (I braid my own hair) I just want it straight and for it to grow…

Melanie
Melanie

Ugh it takes my hair at least 2 days to dry when I do twist outs on wet hair and dry twist outs don’t look
nearly as good. I’m supposed to be going somewhere and my twist out is still wet! what should I do.. 🙁

Imani
Imani
Reply to  Melanie

No biggie! Just run a blow dryer over your twists (no comb/brush, just the heat) on low or medium heat. I recently invested in a portable hood dryer since I often don’t have time to let my hair completely air dry. To prevent heat damage, use this method only in emergencies i.e. you have to leave for work in half an hr, etc.

Angelique
Angelique

What’s the best way to sleep in a twist out to keep it lasting for day 2, 3 and so on? Should they be laid flat, or in some special way to prevent them from shrinking?

Meia
Meia

Im not natural, but I have chemically treated hair.(I don’t plan on transitioning).I did a bantu knot out on my hair and although it didn’t dry all the way the next morning, it turned out amazingly. With it still being damp it gave my hair a more natural look.

Tori
Tori

I really want to try the twist out but the last time I attempted to style my hair while wet it became horribly tangled when it dried. Because of that, I fear I will always have to blow dry it before I can do anything with it.

Does anyone have any advice? I have no clue if this has to do with my hair texture or something I possibly did wrong.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Tori

When I do twist-outs, I find that my hair has to be completely detangled if I don’t want a tangled nightmare on my head. I normally finger detangle each section to be twisted with extra virgin coconut oil and when I twist, I roll each section in the opposite direction, as if I’m doing Senegalese twists. Doing those things has helped me avoid 2442467 knots and SSKs.

Asia
Asia
Reply to  Tori

Maybe you shouldn’t do it fully wet…i know i don’t just because they don’t dry on time. I do my twist on damp hair. Just literally spray it with water, work the water in, apply my moisturizer and oil. Also note that you might want to do small twists (i prefer to do small flat twists) and don’t forget to tie it down…hope that helped!

Marjorie
Marjorie
Reply to  Tori

Did you detangle each section well? Many women will use a denman brush to detangle each section you plan to twist. I finger detangle throughout the entire process- from prepoo through styling, so I do not need to use a denman brush. It should help it to not be tangled when it dries. Also, follow the advice not borrow hair while twisting.

Nat Lee
Nat Lee

For tip 3, I usually use shea butter to make sure the ends stay coiled. Works like a charm!

Karisa
Karisa

Hi everyone, I need help getting volume in my twist outs. My hair type is 3c and when I twist I use coconut oil, leavin conditioner and a gel. Unfortunately when I untwist, the hair lays flat on my head with no volume whatsoever.…..and help with this?

Marjorie
Marjorie
Reply to  Karisa

Are you doing chunky twists? Or chunky flat twist? That may help.

judith m
judith m

You guys are helpful. Im doing my first twist out ever in my hair and am anixous to see how it turns out because i have very short 4c hair. Wish me luck

Denise
Denise

I use shea moisture, shampoo,seal with grapeseed oil, apply smootie, the souffee and twist. My twist never holds, I have pin clips ends to keep together, I think my hair is 3c/4a. Any suggestions, I don’t like my hair hard, but would like some twist defintion and hold.

mandy
mandy

How do u find out what type of hair you have, I hear people saying they have 4c 4b etc. Thanks

Mbuotidem
Mbuotidem

Good afternoon, I am an African and i am thinking of transitioning from relaxed to natural hair as I have naturally long hair but the front hair had fallen offdue to the fact that i braid a lot. Now how do i transition without the big chop and how will i know my hair type. Please help out . Thanks

Denise
Denise
Reply to  Mbuotidem

You can research hair types on the internet, it can give you specific details. I am mixed hair type, 3c in front and top and 4A on sides and back. My front do not hold twist well. Good luck with your research.

Nina78
Nina78

I would love to know how to have full twists like the photo. Every time I twist my hair, it comes out flat. I’ve tried twisting with different products, sizes, dampness, and tightness, but my reportedly “unbelievably thick” hair never has body. Is the issue my hair or technique? The attched photo is of my small twist experiment.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/tmp_20131118_113204-118129029.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/tmp_20131118_1132391106884040.jpg[/img]

Denise
Denise

I also can’t seem to get a good twist out. I tried lots of different products. Shea mositure product makes my hair soft but don’t give me a defined twist out. Other products such as echo gel, aloe vera gel, curls, As I Am makes my hair hard. My hair never looks define like the pictures shown. I cannot get my ends to twist and hold. I been natural for two years. I think I am a 3c on top and 4A on sides and back. I need suggestions, product names.

A
A
Reply to  Denise

Try Ouidad… I have a similar grade of hair.

Courtney Gambrell
Courtney Gambrell

My best twist out to date! Ladies, the stain cap works! However, when I coil my ends I somehow always make my hair shed (I’m thinking unnecessarily). My ends can be very puffy causing me to twist harder than I should to achieve a stay that will stay by itself. I have learned that with my 4b moisture is a must! I moisturize day and night but it does not disrupt my curl pattern…it helps it! It makes wash day hassle free, I barely show signs of any breakage now that I pre-poo with coconut oil treatments. Nina 78 is… Read more »

trackback

[…] may throw a hat over the twists and wear that for a day or take the twists down (called a twist out) immediately depending on how much time I […]

darica
darica

I love doing flat twist outs on my hair. When you get to the end of the the twist use a perm rod. My stylist used the white rods on my hair. It’s been 6 days and I still receive compliments on my hair.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/20140110_224053.jpg[/img]

trackback

[…] BGLH for articles on how to make stretched or straight styles last a while. Here are just a few: Ways to Make a Twist-out Last a Long Time How to Maintain Roller Sets and Twist-outs During a Humid Summer Ways to Make Straightened Hair […]

ksk
ksk

Twist outs are usually the style I go for and I also re twist my hair in chunky twists at night and its a routine I think works wonders for me. It lasts me 3–4 days.

Kim
Kim

Hello, I have keratin treated hair currently, next time I wash my hair I will be attempting the twist out. I’ve read a lot and wawatched a lot of videos on these twist outs. I know everyone’s hair is different and different pproducts work for different people. Without keratin my hair is crazy course. And it’s on the shorter side. Trying to narrow down the type of products I need. So far I’ve figured I need a deep conditioner (don’t know which to try), a regular conditioner (I only Co wash these days), a detangler (don’t know if I use… Read more »

syryn22
syryn22

I wish I would have read this blog early in my twist out journey. I’ve done about ten twist outs over the last six months and this last time was the best yet. My twist out lasted five days and probably could go longer. The issue I kept having was the night time maintenance — I kept trying to do the pineapple method and my hair type just didn’t like it at all (my hair straightens when it’s pulled up or down for a long period of time). Then I did the other extreme — I would do a full… Read more »

Varah Potter
Varah Potter

I’m deff going to try and starting making my twist smaller! I didn’t think about that, they were never really big to begin with but I thin narrowing it down will help a lot!

Barbs
Barbs

When using the gel-butter mixture, do you use just that or together with your curling cream?

Caron haynes
Caron haynes

Hey which one goes first in a twist out gel then cream or cream then gel