Kala // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Jun 13, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
K:
Greetings! My name is Kala. I also go by KG. I’m from sunny San Diego, California, but I currently reside in Detroit, Michigan where I work in the network engineering field.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
K:
I went natural after being relaxed for 4 years (age 13–17). When I turned 17 I realized the box perms my Mommy put in my hair were not healthy. So one day when it was touch-up time I opted out. I transitioned on accident, meaning I had no idea that I was going natural. My mistake was the constant flat-ironing I did. It caused some severe heat damage, but in 2009 I decided to put the flat-iron down for a year. That is when my hair journey started, where I transitioned from heat damage. I’ve embraced my hair since, recently cut off the remaining heat damage and am LOVING it!

How would you describe your texture?
K:
I’m really not a fan of the typing system because it can be divisive at times. I think the tighter your curl pattern, the heavier and creamier your products should be. I call my hair kinky-coily because most of it is. But I have a looser curl pattern at my crown and a tighter curl pattern around my edges. It’s such a mixture of textures, which is fine. I pay close attention to the back and front of my hair when it comes to moisture. I have coarse dense strands mostly and I‘ve grown to accept and love my hair the way it is.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
K:
My regimen is like my styling choices, it changes based on my mood. I do however stick with a consistent regimen for at least a month in order to really get an idea of how my hair likes it. For this past month I’ve been experimenting with the Curly Girl Method. I love this regimen although I know I’ll continue styling my hair in braid outs, flexi-rod sets, and twist outs in the future.

Regimen:
Pre-poo: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (EVCO) and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Co-Wash (every 4–5 days): Tresemme Naturals Conditioner or V05 Moisture Milks Conditioner (both silicone-free)
Wash (once a month): Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Shampoo
Deep Condition (once a week): Shea Moisture Purification Masque and Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
Moisturize and Style: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Olive Oil EcoStyler or just Tresemme Naturals Conditioner alone
Seal: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Maintenance: Pat a small amount of Curl Enhancing Smoothie and EVCO on my hair every night before pineappling to sleep

What does wash day look like for you?
K:
I separate my hair in 4 sections first to make the process easier. I pre-poo concentrating the EVCO on my scalp and hair shaft and concentrating the EVOO on the ends. I rinse my hair with lukewarm water to remove all the old products I used. If it’s my day to use shampoo I use a dime-sized amount of the shampoo per section, working the product onto my scalp with my finger pads. I don’t really apply the shampoo to my hair, just my scalp. I squeeze the shampoo down my strands and rinse it out and immediately apply my conditioner.

On co-wash days I do exactly the same thing with a conditioner. Next I finger detangle with more conditioner saturated throughout. I rinse that out and once a week apply my deep conditioners. I cover my hair with a Target (yes, Target) bag for at least an hour, sometimes overnight. Rinse that out with cold water and put in my leave-in conditioners to style. My wash ‘n go wash days are a cinch because at that point I’m done. But if I’m going to wear a stretched style I braid, twist, bun, etc. up my damp hair. In the morning or whenever completely dry I take the braids, twists, buns, etc. out.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style?
K:
Lately I just pineapple my wash ‘n go at night and fluff in the morning. If my wash ‘n go isn’t looking too hot I’ll style it in one of these quick styles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxCC9GIXqk.

How do you combat shrinkage?
K:
With my wash ‘n gos I leave my hair be because it stretches and gets bigger as time goes on. However, stretching my hair is something I’ve mastered for myself. I use a banding technique to stretch my hair. Braid outs, twist and curls, twist outs, flexi-rod sets are all in my arsenal to combat shrinkage. I believe in manipulating the hair to create the style I desire. Black girls have super-powered hair. We can style it to do anything!

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require extra care and attention?
K:
My edges and the hair in the back of my head need extra moisture for sure. I make sure to use a little extra leave-in and EVCO on them.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
K:
1) Moisturize constantly and consistently and 2) Be gentle! One of my favorite YouTubers, Nina Pruitt says to treat your hair like a fine lace. That is some of the best advice I heard during the period where I was learning my hair. This becomes easiest when you have products that have great slip or leave your hair fluffy and moisturized.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
K:
1) Always manipulate your hair when it’s damp or wet, NOT when it’s completely dry. 2) Don’t be a serial product junkie! Stick with a product for 2–4 weeks before coming to a conclusion about it. It’s easy to become a product junkie if you don’t. When you find a regimen and product that works, stick with it!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
K:
My YouTube channel is called thekglifestyle: www.youtube.com/thekglifestyle where you can find videos showing all of the things I’ve outlined and lots MORE! My blog is called The KG Theory: www.thekgtheory.com. You can find me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kala‑G/102108279880826. I’m also in the production stages of launching a website solely dedicated to Black hair and the empowerment of women: www.blackhairpower.com. Bookmark it! 🙂

Peace & Blessings,
Kala

About Meosha

Rami
Rami

I love the picture where she says “oh!” lol :p. Love her hair thick n healthy And her descriptive answers. UGG.

Kala G
Reply to  Rami

Thank you so much! 🙂

Home daycare

Beautiful sistah and your hair is too!

Kala G
Reply to  Home daycare

Thank you! 🙂

treece
treece

My hair is jealous

Landry
Landry

Really pretty girl, with hair to match!

Jazmyne
Jazmyne

I love her life! Hair is Amazing with a personality to match. She is so inspiring.

Kala G
Reply to  Jazmyne

Thanks Jazzzzz! 🙂

Richard
Richard

simply beautiful I’m speechless!!!

Mitzi
Mitzi

Besides that wonderful head of awesome hair, you’ve got the most beautiful smile.

englishvers

Her hair looks strong and healthy. I enjoyed learning more about Kala.

Alexandra
Alexandra

Beautiful smile and beautiful hair!!!

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  Alexandra

uhhuh
uhhuh

Now I KNOW BGLH don’t do their research. This chick has heat damaged hair and is calling it multi-textured hair. If your ends are straighter than the roots, you have more than 1 texture on ONE strand that’s called damage!

Angela
Angela
Reply to  uhhuh

What does BGLH not doing research have to do with anything? She said she HAD heat damaged hair and recently cut the remaining heat damage off. My ends are a much looser curl pattern than my roots (more than one texture on one strand as you say) but my hair isn’t heat damaged.

I’ve watched KG’s YouTube videos in the past. I could relate to her because our hair texture is very similar and I too had to deal with heat damage at one point.

uhhuh
uhhuh
Reply to  Angela

Your ends are damaged when your roots are 4a and ends are 3b. The discrepancy is too large for this to be seen as healthy curls. It’s more common the have straighter roots as hair gets longer ie heavier. But some folks say a texturizer is natural. To each their own obviously.

Kala G.
Reply to  uhhuh

This is one of the reasons that I dislike the typing system. But I digress on that. You seem to be confusing my pre-cut and post-cut pictures. Which is totally understandable. If you hover your mouse over each picture you’ll see a caption pop up. There are a total for 5 pictures that are post-cut. I purposely labeled and included them with this interview to help people see the difference, but I loved my hair pre and post cut. My curl pattern is not consistent throughout, never has been so it’s very normal to be multi-textured. What I can say… Read more »

B
B
Reply to  Kala G.

Thanks Kayla for sharing your story. I was wonder if your straight looks was your hair flat ironed thanks for clearing the “confusion” up. Your hair loos great and you are right about the hair typing system 🙂

Ebony
Ebony
Reply to  uhhuh

I also noticed that from her YouTube chnl, not sure if she’s still cutting off the damage though.

Curl Rehab
Reply to  uhhuh

No disrespect, but did you do your research? She clearly stated in the interview (question 2) that she recently got the heat damage cut off. I’m transitioning from heat damage myself, and I think her hair is gorgeous. I especially love the new cut, and I can’t wait to get my damaged ends off too!

Kala G
Reply to  uhhuh

Hello uhhuh,

Were you able to read the interview? Take a look at the 2nd question and my answer. That might clear up your confusion. Also, as the ends are the oldest part of your hair, the end of one strand can very well look and act differently than the top of the strand.

Peace & Blessings! 🙂
Kala G.

Rene
Rene
Reply to  uhhuh

Your eyes must be damaged b/c you clearly didnt READ the article!

uhhuh
uhhuh
Reply to  Rene

I did. Also watched the vids. She still has heat damaged ends. Admitting heat damage and then deciding to getting rid of ALL of it is two different things.

Venus
Venus
Reply to  uhhuh

I mean.. But does it REALLY matter though??? Does it take away from her hair journey or the fact that she still has beautiful hair left after the damage??? If anything it makes other women feel inspired Bc it shows that we ALL have set backs and hang ups In this journey. This is exactly why many people including myself shy away from sharing their stories and pics on the natural sites,Bc instead of coming together many women are more focused on nit picking n every little freaking flaw they find in SOMEONE ELSE’S head…it’s ridiculous and it’s sad.… Black… Read more »

merry
merry
Reply to  uhhuh

i see you uhhuh.

that is all. lol.

Cece Danielle
Cece Danielle
Reply to  uhhuh

Chill out…it’s not that deep.

Marcie
Marcie

She said she ‘just’ cut off the heat damage. She’s a beautiful girl with beautiful hair. It’s been a learning process for most of us. Keep up the good work, Kala.

Kala G
Reply to  Marcie

Thank you! And I will! 🙂

Klo
Klo

Her hair looks like its got too many products in it. Good though. Just that

Gee
Gee
Reply to  Klo

where? and how can you see that?

Georgiapeach
Georgiapeach
Reply to  Klo

How does one’s hair *look* when it has too many products???

Thanks for the detailed interview Kala. B
Love your hair and your channel!

Klo
Klo
Reply to  Georgiapeach

It looks drenched in products to enhance curliness. How can I tell?? Can you tell a naked face from one loaded with makeup??(rhetorical qst)

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Georgiapeach

1) I looked at the pics…still not clear on what you mean. 2) If what you are claiming is the case how is it any different than others who do wash and gos to hold their curl pattern in place? Or people that layer leave-in conditioner, moisturizers, and sealants on their hair. Unless she is using a chemical texturizer or a perm product how is she “enhancing” her natural curl pattern? That is the way her curls fall and she holds them in place with product. I feel like you are just callin’ it out but with what purpose? Don’t… Read more »

Klo
Klo
Reply to  Nikki

Please dont put words in my mouth. All your assumptions are created by you because you want a debate. I simply said her hair looks like its got too many products. It looks heavy not fresh with minimal products. Thats it. End of story. Dont create a villain out of my comment

Comments here dont have to be positive. I gave a negative comment but its what I think and I put in respectively. The end

WOW
WOW
Reply to  Klo

You say don’t create a villian out of your comment, then admit your comment was indeed negative. No need to villify it because it’s exactly what and how you said it!

And you should rephrase your comments to reflect that the hair seems too heavy “FOR YOU” because, obviously, it’s just right for Kala. If “fresh with minimal product” is your thing- go for it, but be clear in how you address what’s going on on OTHER people’s heads.

Klo
Klo
Reply to  WOW

Obviously the comment was what I thought about her hair thats why it has my name under it.
Thats why there is an option to comment. To say what you think about OTHER peoples hair. OTHER here= style icons

Yes dont turn me into a villain simply bc I said what was in my head which was negative. People here get attacked for speaking their minds and I wasnt rude.

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Klo

I didn’t say you were a villain. The question I asked was simple. You claimed that the hair was drenched in product and that it was curl enhancing. I asserted that I didn’t think that was accurate but if it does have a lot of product in it then the claim that is curl enhancing is inaccurate. You can’t create curls unless you use certain types of chemicals. Kala says she is natural so I don’t see why the “drenching in product” things is something to point out unless you are trying to say something about her and her hair.… Read more »

Teesha
Teesha

Beautiful Kala!!

Kala G.
Reply to  Teesha

Thank you lady! 🙂

Marlena
Marlena

Kala, I have seen your journey since you were here in San Diego. I remember the frustrations you were having.…. I am soo proud to see your growth and development! I will holla atcha later!

Kala G.
Reply to  Marlena

Thank you Marlena! I love to love you!!! #sisterhood!

Erin
Erin

Kala, I LOVE LOVE your website!!! My new fav, I really want to grow out my hair, I have never had a perm but I do color and flat-iron my hair. I am so ready for something new and I love wearing my hair in its natural state. However its hard for me to keep moisture in my hair when I wear it wet. I saw your regimen and I commend you on your hard effort but as you know I have a new baby, so I do not think I could allot all that time towards my hair. Do… Read more »

Kala G
Reply to  Erin

Erin! I’m going to make a video about this, but 1 suggestion is to wash and style once a week. :)Finding that routine and that groove can be a challenge but stay encouraged!

DiJah
DiJah

Our transition story is similar. I stopped perming and “accidentally” transitioned lol. Flat ironing was my way out of perming my hair and I did that for yrs. Recently chopped off what I considered to be heat damage and currently loving my hair. Gotta check out her site and YT channel for styling tips.

All the best Kala : )

Fatou

awesome!!! Love you information, you are gorgeous, and what beautiful strands you have??? By the way am in network engineering too, living in NYC. I am following your youtube channel and love your tips. All the best!

trackback

[…] Kala // Multi-Texture Style Icon | Black Girl with Long Hair __________________ […]

Trini
Trini

Thanks for sharing your story. I was on the flat ironing route when I finally got rid of my relaxed ends. Thank God I was “delivered.” BTW you kind of remind me of Pam Grier in some of your pictures.

Durelene
Durelene

STUNNING WOMAN AND EVEN MORE GORGEOUS HAIR!!

Durelene
Durelene
Reply to  Durelene

my fave pix of the first one of the blow dried hair, she resembles Tamar Braxton there

EUREKA

First I want to say Kala congrats on the feature and your hair is beautiful, love the curl pattern. The comment posted by Uhhuh is so disheartened for me because it represents the problem in our community, women not supporting one another. It takes courage to put your journey on display for the world to see, coupled with trying achieve healthy hair in the process and to have someone make negative comments is out of order . Life is not perfect and neither is our hair!!! A nicer approach would be to offer a solution because you never know what… Read more »

EUREKA
Reply to  EUREKA

Did not mean to post this ridiculously big pic, lol!!! #multitasking

Oma
Oma

I love Bglh so much. I accidentally stumbled on this site when I was desperately searching for how to breathe life into my severely damaged hair. I have decided to go natural and since February, I’ve been going strong. The changes are too slow to be encouraging, but reading all the lovely hair journeys like Kala’s just keeps me going. And I’m now so in love with my natural texture- something I’ve never been comfortable with. Kala, you have such a lovely head of hair, and I hope in 2 years or 3, my hair gets to be as long… Read more »

Emma P
Emma P

Why can’t people just admire the beauty of the process. If her hair is damaged then so what it’s HER hair! Not everyone is keen to bc, transitioning is an option and quite frankly I think she has done it brilliantly! She is a fine example of someone who has gone through the process and is now coming out the other side. I have never permed and I am currently growing out some damaged ends. She is an encouragement to me.

Peace

Kendyll
Kendyll

Great hair story Kala! Looking forward to being empowered by blackhairpower.com!!

Cherie
Cherie

Beautiful hair and face!! Obviously, some women are jealous nitpickers!

Klo
Klo

Ummm no. You did not inquire or ask about my comment. You completely attacked it that was why I said just bc you dont agree with it, dont turn me into a villain. There are going to be many other comments about style icons that people wont agree on and I am not apologetic. I already knew someone like you would “inquire” It but to satisfy your “inquiry” I pointed out what I meant was it just looks like it has many products. I did not mean that her hair was not natural etc or other assumptions you claim I… Read more »

Jane
Jane

Our hair is so similar, it is uncanny. I have subscribed to your channel because I am curious about how my hair will grow out. The coarse strands, the density, and the tighter pattern around the edges and loser in the crown. The only thing I don’t know is if you are low porosity (lol). I am so glad to have read this.

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

you are so photogenic! great hairstyles. i love all the different lengths and looks.

kg.sunshine
kg.sunshine

Beautiful hair! I endured similiar setbacks when I colored my hair. I have been “transitioning” out of the color. You live and you learn. It’s part of the journey. Thanks for sharing KG! {In case you didn’t realize, I also go by KG. 🙂 }

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

She looks like a professional model — very beautiful face and hair.

FloridaHoneybee
FloridaHoneybee

Gosh, haven’t been on BGLH in a while—from what mean planet did these meanie posters crawl? You know, it takes a lot of guts to post your pictures for others to critique. Think of how you would feel if someone wrote your comment to you after viewing your picture: would feel good? It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice. No, you don’t have to like every picture of every woman showcasing their hair but how difficult is it to be respectful? I am so disappointed in 2012–black women are still dogging each other… Read more »

markquisha
markquisha

Ikr…smh I got featured a few days ago and the first comment I got was..“Her hook in her nose is Ugly” I to am disappointed also it’s very sad that people will pick you apart simply on how you look…smh

trackback