Courtney // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • May 5, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
C:
My name is Courtney. I live in Huntsville, Alabama, but was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan. I am a Registered Nurse.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
C:
After suffering from the negative effects of dye, I decided to lay off of relaxers for a while…after so long I noticed how strong and healthy my roots looked I immediately stopped relaxing and never looked back since.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
C:
I transitioned for 1.5 years. I wore my hair in a bun 80% of the time and straight the rest. I wasn’t that educated about natural hair at the time.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
C:
It just made me be even more comfortable and confident with myself. I feel as if you can be me, be free, be natural.

How would you describe your hair?
C:
My hair has at least three different textures. The front is more wavy, the middle is more frizzy and the sides are curlier. I have very thick hair and it can take on a life of its own if it’s not tamed lol.

What is your regimen?
C:
If I’m straightening my hair, I’ll do a protein treatment before and after. I straighten 2–3 times a year. I wash with shampoo every two weeks. I try to co-wash twice a week. I use the baggy method 2–3 times a week. I massage my scalp 2–3 times a week. I trim annually.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
C:
I sleep in a silk scarf at night. I eliminated the use of a drying towel to dry my hair. I moisturize and seal throughout the week along with doing the baggy method. And most importantly, I take my time when detangling.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
C:
Not properly preparing my hair before blow drying and straightening.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
C:
Water water water something I didn’t use much of when I was relaxed.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C:
To aid in boosting women’s confidence when rocking their natural hair, I sell jewelry that compliments their hair at www.HairWeAreOnline.com
YouTube: CourtneyNaturalHair
Facebook: CourtneyNaturalHair
Twitter: CourtneyHairIAm
Instagram: CourtneyNaturalHair

Anything else you want to add?
C:
My goal is to support women with their natural by a answering questions, making suggestions, and sharing my experience. Because we too can grow long healthy hair.

About Meosha

James
James

1) what does co-wash mean?
2) what is the baby method?
3) is a drying towel any different from an ordinary bath towel?
4) when you say, “I moisturize and seal…”, what do you mean by “seal”?
5) what is the baggy method?
6) when you say that “water, water, water…” is the best/most effective thing you do for your hair, what do mean? are you drinking more water? are you wetting your hair more often?

thanks

Sash
Sash
Reply to  James

Co-wash is when you wash your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. I think she meant the baggy method which is apply a water based moisturizer or oil to damp hair and putting a plastic cap over it for a few hours. As for towel drying hair, try an old cotton t‑shirt. Put the neck of the shirt over the perimeter of your head and allow the shirt absorb the water. It helps reduce frizz. Sealing is using a butter or oil to seal the moisture into your hair. ( try shea butter or organic coconut oil) And you need to… Read more »

James
James
Reply to  Sash

thank you sash. it brings a lot more clarity to me.

Reply to  Sash

Thank you so much! Sometimes I forget everyone is not familiar with the natural hair terminology.

Reply to  James

Sorry for not clarifying.

Reply to  James

Water water water mean I try my best to add as much water to my hair as I can. Previously when I had a relaxer I washed my hair every other week, so that means water touched my hair twice a month. But now I try to “water” my hair often as I can.

hairscapades

Your hair is absolutely STUNNING!! Yet another hair crush!!! Just beautiful!! I have a very similar irregular curl pattern and it looks like your hair shrinks up far further in the back than in the front, like mine does (except the nape)! But so much hair!!! LOVE it!! I’m wondering what the “baby method” is as well. That’s a new one to me. Google, here I come;)!

Shelli

Reply to  hairscapades

Thank you so much! It’s actually baggy method. Yes I have many textures in my hair sometimes beneficial and sometimes its annoying lol.

Alisha

She has THE most amazing hair! Love the pictures!

Reply to  Alisha

Thank you so much!

Letha
Letha
Reply to  Courtney

Yes, her hair is beautiful

Afrinaturality
Afrinaturality

Gorgeous hair, Courtney. I’m seriously loving the thickness! 🙂

Reply to  Afrinaturality

Thank You!

Cia
Cia

Seriously she might be my favorite feature BGLH has ever done! Beautiful lady and amazing hair! So thick and healthy.

Reply to  Cia

Awwww.….your making me blush! Thank you!

keisha
keisha

absolutely beautiful!

Reply to  keisha

Thank you.

Mango

Beautiful!

Reply to  Mango

zyaran
zyaran

Dayum that hair is Gorgeous, you have done a terrific job of takig care of it. It’s so thick and their is so much of it. If you ever want to share some of it, I’ll be happy to take some of it off your hands j/k lol.lol.…..

Reply to  zyaran

lol On a good day you can have it lol…I have it in the picture with the two braids now.

African Mami

Sigh! Ya’ll have these icons to make a girl wanna commit hair suicide! Why isn’t mine that long?!!!?!!!!!!

I LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOVE IT!!!!

Reply to  African Mami

lol…I have been natural for 4 years so I have paid some dues lol.

Annie L.
Annie L.

Yay, Alabama girls! How was that hair under the radar for this long! I caught my breath when I saw the density, softness and shine — it looks healthy from root to tip! Really liked the interview and the site, will definitely seek her out.

Reply to  Annie L.

LOL…Thank you! I tried to keep the interview short and sweet. Ladies can relate more to pictures sometimes.

Toni
Toni

Your right she wasnt born a black girl, she was born a different race then over the years she magically changed to a black girl so she can be featured as an icon…

Reply to  Toni

I am here crying laughing.…..AMAZING!! That’s why I posted my Youtube videos so ppl could see my journey. I never had long hair before going natural. But thank you for that response.

Areille
Areille
Reply to  Toni

Lol wow you have issues. Who are you to question this beautiful woman’s gender? And who is being homophobic? Please get a life instead of going on websites trying to stir people up. Its so amusing how pathetic that is.

Reply to  Areille

Girl please don’t entertain the devil.

Courtney

I was born black and I remain black until this day. My parents are black, my grand parents are black and my great grand parents were black. So for at least in America, that’s as black as they come.

arlette
arlette
Reply to  Courtney

i agree she obv is not black she changed her race just in time to be featured as an icon. i dont know how she did it but i am very impressed. btw toni you need help.

arlette
arlette
Reply to  arlette

omg the comment was directed at jaslene not toni

Reply to  arlette

Lol I figured that.

Reply to  arlette

Enough with trying to be politically correct…you are ignorant and no one should dignify you with a response. Have a nice life HATER.

Nik
Nik
Reply to  Courtney

I’m trying to figure out what about you in these pics does not appear womanly. All you really have is face pics. And your features are pretty normal Black girl features.

Outside of the fact that it is purely insulting, I don’t even see WHY she said it. This sounds really messed up, but I’m thinking b/c you are an ACTUAL Black woman w/ Black features, i.e., dark skin, broad nose, full lips, that doesn’t appear feminine to her.

I suppose you need to have light skin w/ a narrow nose and have thinner lips to look like a natural born woman.

Nik
Nik
Reply to  Courtney

Let me get this straight, you didn’t think that asking whether a woman was born a boy was insulting? Let’s pretend she actually was born a boy, is that your place, or anyone’s place to ask?

Outside of the fact that it’s none of your business what goes on between her legs, the simple fact is that if you put a picture of yourself then had people responding that you look like a man, you’d be upset. So don’t pretend that you didn’t know what you were doing.

Reply to  Courtney

You don’t have to kiss my butt. I guess I was raised a little different. If it wasn’t something beneficial or constructive I was taught to keep my mouth shut. It’s a hair feature, something positive, you may not even have liked it but was it worth saying or who benefitted from it. I was also raised under the philosophy “do unto other as you would have them to do unto you”. And that goes for our words as well. If you think it’s cool to insult someone because it’s your opinion then once again we are on two different… Read more »

Antoinette Stewart

Ugg I know the comments above about black and long hair thing was a joke … but it really got underneath my skin a little.

Anywhoo lovely hair, your braidouts are too chic! Looks great

Courtney

I hope it was a joke.…but I am really starting to get asked about my ethnicity weekly, it’s crazy!

Toni
Toni

Your welcome hahaha. I was joking your very beautiful black woman and I love your hair.

I think the world has not gotten used to black women with long hair but the natural hair community is changing that..

Reply to  Toni

Lol I know you were joking.…not sure about the first one though lol.

DiJah
DiJah

Omg Courtney your hair is so thick! I loooooove it! Keep doing what you’re doing girl because it is working; gonna check out her youtube page for some tips.

Reply to  DiJah

Thank you.…..I guess I’ll have to start going more videos now 🙂

Valarie
Valarie

WOW! BEAUTIFUL, just plain beautiful!!!

Can this method be done on my 4 year old daughter? I’m currently transitioning with braids. I did a BC in 2009 and HATED it! I went back to perm and big mistake! I love my texture but realize I must transition with length…anyway, my daughter has thick hair and I do not want to put a relaxer in her hair, but I’m lost at what to do and try to get in a regimen for an inpatient 4 year old…

Reply to  Valarie

Please don’t relax her hair…I just had a daughter 6 months ago and I am in the process of mixing up her some stuff, she’s 4 so there is a lot more that you can do now. Contact me in Facebook.

lindy
lindy
Reply to  Valarie

You would actually perm a 4 year olds hair? OMG!

Reply to  lindy

Me?

Melody
Melody

I’m from Huntsville, but live in NYC now for five years this month. I just want to say your is so pretty!

Reply to  Melody

Thank you! What part of NY.…I’ll be visiting in a few months.

Melody
Melody
Reply to  Courtney

I’ m actually 10mins outside the city in Weehawken.…literally live right by the Lincoln Tunnel. I can inbox you my contact info to your YT, just in case you need a contact while your here visiting. let me know :^)

Reply to  Melody

Please do!

Khadia
Khadia

Yes!! Someone from my hometown being featured. Born and raised in the ville and I love your hair. I hope what I’m already doing for my natural hair now will have me to that length in 4 years. I follow you on Instagram(mzdija) and all of the other social networks too. How long have you been living in Huntsville?
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMAG0063.jpg[/img]

Reply to  Khadia

Oh wow!! I’ve been here 4 years…i have a local natural hair meetup group too.

Khadija
Khadija
Reply to  Courtney

What’s the name of the meet up group? I like meeting old and new naturals here in Huntsville!! Are you going to the meet up on the 19 in Madison?

Khadija
Khadija

And it should say Khadija!!

Elisabeth
Elisabeth

My God,your hair is luscious. I am seriously envious,lol but seriously Kudos to you girl because your hair looks fabulous

Reply to  Elisabeth

Thank you so much I appreciate it!

Beth
Beth

Beautiful! And she’s reppin the RNs! I’m in nursing school and it’s nice to see an icon featured who works in the health industry.

Reply to  Beth

Thank you!! Trying to become a Nurse Practitioner now.…pray for me!

Beth
Beth
Reply to  Courtney

You are?! How inspirational; that is also my ultimate goal! I will definitely be following your journey. It’s so heartwarming to see black women pursuing higher degrees in nursing and/or medicine. Blessings to you!

Enfermera K
Enfermera K
Reply to  Beth

You have a ton of absoulutely beautiful hair. Enjoyed reading your feature and seeing the lovely hair pics. I’d also like to say Happy Nurses Week! I’m a fellow RN, also from MI. Wow! Wife, mom and future NP, good luck with it all.

Reply to  Enfermera K

Thank you so much!Happy late nurses week to you too lol. What part of Mich are you from?

Candice
Candice

This one was thin on information and more of an advertisement for this woman’s hair accessories. She does have lovely hair though…

Reply to  Candice

I’m sorry you feel that way. By no means was the interview done to advertise jewelry. The website was only mentioned once. Outside of being a full time student to become a Nurse Practitioner, a mother of 2 and a wife. I am answering hundreds of emails weekly, encouraging women and helping women manage their natural hair. I am also doing a natural hair challenge where I am writing down step by step how to manage their hair to a few hundred women, again outside of my personal life. I was under the impression that it was an interview, not… Read more »

Diligence
Diligence
Reply to  Courtney

Hi Courtney,what a great interview and lovely pictures,i thank you for inspiring us and showing how with diligence and good care,long hair hair can be ours.:> from London

Reply to  Diligence

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate it.

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Candice

You have got to be kidding, so sharing her protein treatment schedule, her wash schedule, her moisture and seal routine was not enough? Did you need to know the exact tine if day she does the above? GTFO and so what if she “advertised” her jewelry, is she forcing you to purchase it? Today must be troll day. RME

Reply to  Barbara

You have to have thick skin when you put yourself out to the public. My niece texted me and said when there are so many ppl who love you, surly there will be ppl who don’t like you for no reason. But it’s all good, I think the young lady who mentioned the accessories advertising thought that all of the links that the interviewer posted was for the accessories when infact only the website it for the accessories. The other links are strictly for natural.

Rachel

Courtney, your hair is absolutely beautiful! I’ll be keeping in touch with you via Facebook 🙂
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/cornrows.jpg[/img]

Reply to  Rachel

Thank you hope to see you over there.…nice pic!!

lovesong
lovesong

Wow your hair is beautiful! This is great so great new style icons to learn from…this is really inspiring.

Reply to  lovesong

Thank you.…I’m glad I can inspire someone 🙂

Kitty
Kitty

Lawd…what beautiful hair!!! Great post. Beautiful girl too. I am sooooo inspired!!!

Reply to  Kitty

Thank you!!

carmen
carmen

woot woot for huntsville! i’m surprised i’ve never seen you before. probably all for the better, i probably would’ve freaked you out by salivating over that hair! gorgeous!

Khadija
Khadija
Reply to  carmen

I know right!!

Reply to  carmen

You may have, I don’t wear it down often lol, it’s usually in a bun or something.

Rahel
Rahel

Beautiful hair!! She kinda looks like she could be a cousin to the GlamTwinz from YT. I’m deaaaaadddd at Jaslene comment though.

Reply to  Rahel

Like my niece said, the Internet gives a lot of low self esteem ppl confident, they say whatever they want to behind the computer because they can’t in the real world. Thank you.…I follow those twins lol…

Mariah
Mariah

Beautiul lush hair! Yaaaas, werk girl! lol. Hey Courtney, what do you use when you are bagging? Do you use oil or conditioners and if so which ones? I’m very curious now hehe

Reply to  Mariah

I spray it with a mixture of kinky curly knot today, basil essential oil, vegetable glycerin and then apply coconut oil. Avoiding my scalp.

Mariah
Mariah
Reply to  Courtney

Ohh I just read up about basil, hmmmm…might have to try that. Thanks girl!

courtney-hi
courtney-hi

im coutney too!!!! love your hair so gorgeous! im gonna be like you when i grow up

Reply to  courtney-hi

You have THE most beautiful name I have ever heard!!!!

MissE
MissE

COURTNEY your hair is GORGEOUS!!!

1 question tho. You said you’ve been natural 4 years. Do you count the year you were transitioning or after you cut all the relaxed ends? Just wondering because your hair length is now A GOAL of mine lol. BEAUTIFUL ma’am and kudos on being a mother and wife and a nurse. AWESOME. with God all things are possible.

Reply to  MissE

Amen! And thank you! I count from the last day I relaxed my hair, so I say I have 4 years of new growth.

Deandra
Deandra

hey vote for DEANDRA THOMAS FOR MISS UNIVERSE JAMAICA 2012 plz .. the voting icon is to the upper right corner, ask all ur fb frenz to do the same http://www.missuniversejamaica.com/portfolio-view/deandra-thomas/

BigSyd
BigSyd
Reply to  Deandra

Bye Girl!!^ to the comment/promotion above

And Courtney, beautiful hair!! 🙂

Reply to  BigSyd

I’m cracking up at your comment lol lol.….thank you for the compliment!!

melanie
melanie

beautiful hair! how long have you been natural (i didnt see that in the interview)??

Reply to  melanie

4 years thank you!

Sass' n Curlz

All I can say is GAWJUS!

Lu
Lu

Can I just say, when I saw the first pic my thought was, “Why is BGLH letting people with weaves submit pics?” Then I clicked on the link. Courtney you have the most amazing twist-out abilities I have ever seen. Absolutely beautiful! As are you. Thanks for sharing!

Reply to  Lu

Lol that’s too funny.….I will be doing a video on how I do my twist outs now. Thank you so much for the compliment!!

Bridget
Bridget

Absolutely beautiful hair!

hhjourney

Hello Courtney! Your hair is beautiful! If you believe in hair typing, what is your hair type?

Reply to  hhjourney

I do believe in it and I find it really beneficial meaning if you find someone with your hair type they can share great info with you. But to be honest that is a question I would love to know…I have no clue about my own hair because some parts are wavy and some more wavier, I don’t have many curls or coils so its crazy, that’s why I don’t do many wash and go’s, I don’t think they look too hot on me. The last picture of mine at the top is a wash and go YIKES!!

Maryum Hill
Maryum Hill

Wow you have such beautiful hair. I’m fifteen and started my hair journey about a year ago. But nothing has changed much so in the month of February 2012 i permed it again and now its really damaged and thin. I want to go natural but i don’t have the courage to do a big chop so i don’t know what products to use or styles to do…nothing, im completely lost.And then i stumbled upon this website and i have to say it is wonderful. thank you for posting, you gave me more motivation. I wish i could ask more… Read more »

Reply to  Maryum Hill

I would live to give you some tip you can always contact me on Facebook.

Kai
Kai

You are beautiful and have beautiful hair. People are so bold, rude and disgusting on the internet sometimes. I can’t believe some of these comments. I thought this was supposed to be a cite for encouragement. Anyway I am glad you have tough skin 🙂

Reply to  Kai

Thank you! Have to take the bad with the good.

dee (durelene)
dee (durelene)

LUSCIOUS HAIR!!!!!!!! HAIR ENVY FOR YEARS!!!

Karen
Karen

This Jaslene is a complete idiot, nothing constructive to say, just being the ass she is. Her initial comment is quite ambiguous. She seems to be implying that black men are more prone to have long hair than women are. That’s ignorant in and of itself.

Enough of that now.

Courtney’s hair is beautiful and thick.

Gee
Gee
Reply to  Karen

It sounds like Jaslene is a man hoping to find a kindred spirit. lol.

Jenn
Jenn

You’re very pretty Courtney!! I’m Happy to see a southern girl represent! I’m moving to Huntsville next month and I don’t know anyone! Are there any “natural groups” in the area?

Reply to  Jenn

I have a natural group.…Facebook me so we can hook up.

SewDope
SewDope

Gorgeous hair!

Gee
Gee

Courtney you have been replying with such dignity and grace. Good for you. Your hair is unbelievably gorgeous and inspiring.

Reply to  Gee

Thank you! Somethings are just in you and somethings are not.

Star
Star

Courtney, you and your hair are absolutely gorgeous! You look like a doll! Blessings to you sis—keep your faith and stay positive, it will continue to take you a long way. xoxo

Reply to  Star

B
B

One of the best hair I have ever seen THICK & LONG!!!
You dont see my folks with LONG HAIR that is THICK!

Reply to  B

Thank you! That is one of the things I try to work on, keeping it long and even at the same time.

InSearch Of HairMiracles
InSearch Of HairMiracles

Hi Courtney, Girl you just made me a groupee, lol! Will Definitely be following your tips. Love this site ‑really happy that I found it. NATURAL BLACK HAIR IS FREEEEEEDDOOOOM!!! And Girl I’ve been tryinging to emancipate myself from the chemical slavery mess. I did the big chop twice. The last time was back in 2008, an I’m tempted to do it again. each time I chopped, somewhere along the lines I got impatient and anxious over hair care and reverted back to chemicals. Know I’m not the only one who has been through this so I went on a… Read more »

Courtney

LOL…I am doing a hair challenge you can join in and at least do some of the things that you can. My Facebook is CourtneyNaturalHair

jaysb
jaysb

Hi Courtney, “You” and your Hair are Beautiful. Trust…your beautiful spirit shines throught in your responses. Let any negative comments fall by the wayside. Continue to be Blessed. Take Care.

Reply to  jaysb

Will do…thank you!

jaysb
jaysb

Hi Courtney…“You” and your Hair are absolutely beautiful. Trust…your spirit shines through in your responses; Let any negative comments fall by the wayside. Continue to be Blessed. Peace.

-jaysb

jaysb
jaysb

Hi Courtney.…“You” and your Hair are absolutely Beautiful. Trust.…Your spirit shines through in your responses; Let any negative comments fall by the wayside. Continue to be Blessed. Peace.

-jaysb

Reply to  jaysb

Thank you! Will do.

Michaela
Michaela

Holy moly, Courtney, you have AMAZING hair. Not only are you very stylish, but your hair is, too. I have serious hair envy at the moment, but in a good way. Your hair truly inspires me. Mine is about the length of yours, but idk, it doesn’t have quite the volume yours does. I wish mine was thicker 🙁 Anyway, so happy to see this! Do you have a youtube or a blog yourself? I totally would follow you <3

Reply to  Michaela

Thank you!!

My YouTube Facebook and instagram is

CourtneyNaturalHair

dobs

That is one of the healthiest looking heads of hair that I’ve ever seen!
Good for you girl!
‑Adobuere
adventuresofdobs.blogspot.com

Reply to  dobs

Thank you so much.…I try my best to keep it healthy as I can.

JaeM
JaeM

Your hair is amazingly beautiful Courtney! Thanks for sharing.. U now have a new follower 🙂 So I’ll be stalking ur hair.. I mean site!! 🙂

Reply to  JaeM

LOL…No problem. Thank You!

Lisa Michelle

I can’t WAIT til my hair gets this length…it’s absolutely gorgeous!! Who says black women can’t grow long, luscious, healthy hair?!? http://www.ThisHairOfMine.com / http://www.facebook.com/ThisHairOfMine
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/bglh.jpg[/img]

Reply to  Lisa Michelle

Looks like your close. Your hair is beautiful!

Jacky
Jacky
Reply to  Lisa Michelle

You’re gorgeous

Cortney
Cortney

OMG I am soooooin love with your hair Court ! You are freaking gorgeous ! You are my new natural hair motivation, even though I have a LONG way to go ! Call me corney but my name is Cortney and I’m a RN too lol

Cortney
Cortney

OMG I’m sooooo in love with your hair Court !!! You’re freaking gorgeous !! I found my new natural hair motivatior, even though u have a LONG way to get to where you are. Call me corney but my name is Cortney and I’m an RN too lol

Reply to  Cortney

Wow! Lol…might I say you have the prettiest name I have ever heard. I would love to see your pic too.…facebook me or instagram If you use it lol.

Cortney
Cortney
Reply to  Courtney

Lol I liked your fb page..I’m on instagram @cocodarkcoffee I just uploaded a new pic too

oh wow
oh wow

Oh wow, your hair is amazing. I’d pay u top dollars to take care of my hair and get it as health, thick and long!! Hats off hon!!

are
are

Hi Courtney,
Your hair is gorgeous…for someone starting out and trying to get to your length, what would you do first? My hair is fine and I would like to get the thickness and the length.

trackback

[…] Courtney (Featured in May) […]

Jacky
Jacky

Lovely hair

anastasia
anastasia

Your hair is amazing and you are a natural beauty! I love Alabama, my second home 🙂

suryah

Courtney I have been so encouraged by your informative interview.
Plus I have the added satisfaction of knowing my HHJ is finally
taking off in a Big way. I’m so very pleased with my own Progress
right now!. Because ladies like you in the past and present have
been so willing to share. Keeping people like me inspired and believing
in ourselves.