Shea Rose // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Mar 28, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
S:
I’m Shea Rose, from Boston. I am a Singer-songwriter, Rocker, Rapper and music for social change activist.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
S:
My hair never took well to perms and it just didn’t feel right going back every month or so putting chemicals in my hair.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
S:
Oh gosh it’s been like eight years or so. I started off just chopping everything off and then letting my hair grow from there.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
S:
I feel more accepting of myself and the skin I was born in!

How would you describe your hair?
S:
My hair is thicker than thick so I’ve learned to be very patient with it. Commercials and advertising promote this fantasy of wash and go. But truthfully our hair needs more time and care, and that’s good because it means we have to take time out of our daily hustle to take care of mind, body, soul and yes hair!

What is your regimen?
S:
Every other week I go to a salon for a wash, condition and blow dry. The hair stylist I see works with natural hair and she is super creative, so sometimes I’ll have her braid it or I do twists and then take them out when I want to rock my afro. I just bought Carol’s Daughter hair pomade last week and I’ve started to incorporate that into my moisturizing regimen. I love it. At night, even when I’m tired, I’m sure to throw some big plats in my hair to keep it from drying out and getting tangled.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
S:
In the winter I’m especially conscious of moisturizing my hair, so I will add a moisturizing shampoo and a few hot oil treatments to my regimen.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
S:
I’ve learned that using excessive heat or chemicals without proper understanding can damage the hair and scalp.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
S:
Treat it with kindness!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
S:
www.shearose.comwww.facebook.com/shearosewww.youtube.com/shearose

About Meosha

Boston Newbie Natural

Luv Shea Rose. I’ve heard her around Boston for sometime now & glad see her beautiful mane on showcase hair. Just wondering where in Boston does she get her hair did as I’ve been keeping my eyes open for one without success, please share. When I bc on 12.31.11 I had investigated several salons which advertised their ability to cater to natural hair and came up with three… one, was charging hundreds for a bc for my head which was less than a couple of inches as I had it cut short to transition easier; the second only emphasized blow… Read more »

Ren
Ren

Hey

I live in Boston and I’m natural. I go to Simply Erinn’s to get my hair colored and styled. They do an awesome job, I love that place.

Tesha
Tesha
Reply to  Ren

Yep, I’m a Simply Erinn’s believer also. I’ve been natural for YEARS now, and they’re the only place in (near) Boston I’ve encountered that don’t treat Naturalistas like green aliens for opting to say no to creamy crack. Everyone there is absolutely fab, but I go to Amanda. Her creativity is off the chain when it comes to braid/twist designs. Look no further Chicas! I love them!!

Ren
Ren
Reply to  Tesha

Yes! Amanda is the best. I go to her for my color. She can get my hair to do anything. She is an amazing artist.

Boston Newbie Natural
Reply to  Ren

Thank you!

Home daycare

You are so pretty, and have beautiful hair!

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella

OMG, she has one of the most beautiful hair I have ever seen and she’s so gorgeous too.

It looks so soft and healthy.

I wish I could afford to go to the hairdresser every week to have someone to look after my tresses.

hassan
hassan

i’M in AWE!

Lia
Lia

She is really beautiful and her hair looks awesome.
I don’t agree with her wash and go comment. Many black women pull that look off just fine without any extra styling. I am extremely low maintainence (lazy) when it comes to my hair. I don’t need to take time out of my day to care for it. I don’t protective style or use heat, and after just ending a one year transition, I’m at shoulder length. I understand what she’s saying, but I wish she wouldn’t make generalizations.

hassan
hassan
Reply to  Lia

I think she means for her hair type and thickness.

Lele
Lele
Reply to  Lia

I think she’s just referring to how it is often made to seem like everyone has wash and go ability when that simply is not the case. Many of us just cannot do wash and go hair. I wish I could wash and go, but my hair is too coily and will get single strand knots.

beantownbrown

I just ran into this sista at the Nneka show in Cambridge earlier this week and can testify that her hair is as fly in person as it is in pictures. Glad to see Boston’s naturals being represented!

V
V

CAN WE PLEASE DO A CLOSET RAID ON SHEA ROSE LIKE ASAP?!?!

I wanted to snatch that purple sequin piece right out of the photo. Clothes, accessories, hair= on point!

Likewaterforchocolate

100% beautiful!

Bridget
Bridget

Amazing!

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Rock on, Sister! Beautiful lady.

Orihime11
Orihime11

Beautiful woman with beautiful hair! Kinda off topic…but I’m loving the pic with her and the handsome asian gentleman ;-p

Crystal
Crystal

She’s so beautiful. I learned of her thru queen latifahs special and now have her songs on my ipod check her out. Love the song free love

trackback