Sa-Roc // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Mar 8, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
S:
I’m Sa-Roc. I’m an emcee. I live in the nu atlantis AKA Atlanta, GA, but I was born and raised in D.C.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
S:
I’ve actually been natural all my life. I was raised in an African centered household and my parents taught us to be proud of our beautiful natural hair.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
S:
When I was in elementary school I rocked a short fro. This was a little challenging at times. There were some mean girls who called me a boy, which was pretty hurtful at the time. It actually made me stand up to my father and tell him I didn’t want my hair cut anymore, lol! For the most part, I had no problems though. I’ve always loved my 9 ether hair.

How would you describe your hair?
S:
Tightly curled, wiry, medium thickness, soft.

What is your regimen?
S:
I really don’t do much to my hair. I switch shampoos often. Right now I’m using Jason’s Tea Tree Shampoo. I typically don’t use conditioners. I use coconut oil to moisturize my hair and a homemade concoction of jojoba oil, tea tree, and lavender on my scalp.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
S:
Coconut oil. I also take essential fatty acids ( flax oil or Ascenta NutraVege oil) to maintain hair and skin moisture from the inside out.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
S:
Coloring it myself, lol! As a teenager, I used to color it quite often. I would totally dry my hair out and literally change my hair texture from dyeing too frequently with harsh, chemically laden hair color. My stylist, Rayna of It’s a Natural Thang salon (itsanaturalthang.com), now exclusively colors my hair. She treats my hair with shea butter for conditioning after she colors it. She also NEVER uses color that requires bleaching, as it can seriously damage the hair follicle.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
S:
Use all natural products without parabens (which can cause irritation and are possibly carcinogenic), SLS (harsh detergents that can cause drying and irritation), or petroleum/mineral oil (clogs pores). Earthly Delight and Aubrey are two of my favorite brands that work great without these harmful ingredients.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
S:
Get the NEW SA-ROC MIXTAPE, 16/16’s FREE when you subscribe to my blog: Sarocthemc.com

Anything else you want to add?
S:
NO STRESS!!! A lot of times we can obsess to no end about our hair. I’ve found that just letting my hair breathe with minimal products and a whole LOTTA love, it has grown quickly and healthy. Oh yeah, and KEEP IT NATURAL!!!

About Meosha

Camille Janae

Gorgeous locs! Love it! I’m almost a year into my loc journey and this is definitely inspirational!

NinaG

aw man these women with locs-beautiful!!! y’all making me miss mine.

Coffey

Great feature! and I love Sa-Roc’s music. Good to see her as a feature.

Yani
Yani

Gorgeous locs and really good interview! Loved her hair and personality. I don’t know about anyone else, but I had to look up the meaning of “9 ether hair.” I had never heard of it before today…but I’m glad I know about it now!

Trini
Trini
Reply to  Yani

Lol. I thought it was a typo. Off to look it up as well. Great feature.

mizJazE
Reply to  Trini

Me too, but now after looking it up I like that description better.

mikala
mikala

maybe I should get some locs!

LaDonna
LaDonna

love her hair and her clothes

kimberly
kimberly

how do you keep the curls all the time???? my locks area bit fatter n only reaches the middle of my back plus they arent all the same length .… the coils mk the curls but becuz of the thickness it doesnt stay for more than a day … can you recommend another curling method

Lynnette
Lynnette

Aside from the fact that your Loc’s are super dope; where can i get me a God Hop shirt?

Sa-Roc
Reply to  Lynnette

Give thanx beloved! 🙂 the link for the God Hop shirt is here:

Anon
Anon

Very beautiful, your site looks amazing as well! Your hair, photos and philosophy are awesome and your accessories are kind of knocking me out as well.

Would you mind revealing where you purchased the red eyeglasses and gold/black cloth bangles? Thx!

Sa-roc
Reply to  Anon

Thank u sis! I got the glasses at a store called the clothing warehouse in Atlanta and the bangles from a Senegalese street vendor in manhattan.

KD
KD

She has some of the most beautiful locs I have seen, I luv her sense of style.

Shawanda

I am so glad I read this. I just made a batch of homemade lip balm, and I had no idea what I was going to do with all the coconut oil that was leftover.

Shonte'a
Shonte'a

I loved this interview. I have lots of respect for all those who embrace their natural hair. I’m going on year three with my locs, I’ve made mistakes like coloring with harsh chemicals and not using all natural products but after reading this I’m going to use all the helpful tips toward bettering my lovely locs now that I’m more educated about what it takes to keep them healthy and beautiful..thank you bglh and thank you sa’roc

K
K

This chick is gorgeous. Definitely inspirational for me and my two-week-old comb coils.

trackback

[…] was originally featured as a Natural Hair Style Icon on March 8, 2012. Along with a beautiful head of locs she had an amazing sense of style, so we caught up with her to […]

trackback