5 Styles For Defined, Uniform Curls

Avatar • Mar 19, 2012

Having multiple hair textures is a common challenge among naturals. On the styling front, it can make for uneven looks but there are many ways to get around this. If you have multiple curl patterns on your head, these five styles can give you uniform curls and wave.

Flexi Rods

Flexi rods work best on more loosely textured natural hair, and the longer your hair is the bigger sized rods you can use. Just make sure you’re using a styling product that will set the hair really well. Tutorial is below.

Straw Sets

Photo Source: CoilyHair.com

Straw sets work particularly well on tighter curl patterns. And since the rods, or actual straws, that are used are narrow in diameter, they’re perfect for short natural hair. Check out the tutorial below, done on a cropped afro.

Next Page
M.
M.

You forgot twist-outs and braid-outs! Those helps a ton too (and honestly, they’re less of a pain than curlformers and flat twisting, something I still can’t do.)

Lola
Lola

for some reason,I don’t like the look of super uniformed and almost Shirley Temple-like curls,That’s why I would most likely stick to bantu knot outs or twist outs.But I would still like to try the flexirods sometime…I’ll just make sure I fluff the hair out real good to give it extra volume!!

Judith
Judith

Curlformers.

zyaran
zyaran

I haven’t tried the flexi rod tutorial on my hair that looks to be interesting. I did mini twists styled with pipe cleaners and that turned out really great.

I was looking at asiamnaturallyfacebook and saw this. Even though it’s a cartoon version but this outfit and hair are on point :).

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Ae9X-ZJCIAASW5C1.jpg[/img]

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty

I have not tried Curlformers yet but I’m ooh so tempted! I have heard conflicting results — the worst being that they can rip your hair out. I don’t know that I want to take that risk with my fine hair.

Flexi rod sets have given me decent results and bantu knots it’s touch and go lol. Sometimes good. Sometimes not. My best results have been on flat twist outs with the ends curled.

JDC
JDC

I tried a knock off version and had no problems. My hair isnt thin though but looks as though your hair is longer than mine. I think ppl who rip their hair out were not patient/careful enough on the first try or pulled them out wrong. I used to crochet so it was easy for me to get the hang of it and also to know that if its not pulling right start over dont force it!. I think they would look nice on your hair though you should give them a try. It gets easier to as you go… Read more »

TerraD
TerraD
Reply to  JDC

That’s me! My hair kept getting stuck midway through the curlformers and I still have two small areas of shorter hair to prove it! They weren’t for me.

rw
rw

cant stop staring at tracy ellis ross pict, hair is perfection

Petula

My hair is really short, but I’ve tried the flat twist out and it looks cute and works well. I love it on my middle daughter’s hair ’cause it’s so thick and beautiful.

Love the styles you’ve shown here.

Jamila
Jamila

I knew about curlformers, flexi rods, and straw sets, but it was nice to see how to do bantu knots, and flat twists. I have 3b/3c curls and I think the flexi rods would work best on my hair but will definitely try the other methods.

Annie L.
Annie L.

Coils. Finger-coils with an oil/water mix (or comb-coils AKA ‘wrist-killers’ and the only reason I’ll step into a salon) give me the smooth, tightly defined looks above as do two-strand and flat twists though my hair LOVES coils.

I however don’t love the look, it’s just a means to a coil-out end but all the styles above look lovely. BTW, I know some call coils ‘single twists’.

Marie
Marie

Do flexirods not work for 4bs? It’s a look I like but my hair is not loose. Straw sets look nicer on v short hair like the video and I can’t Bantu for toffee 🙁

Octavia
Octavia
Reply to  Marie

flexirods have various sizes and the smallest is barely bigger than a straw, so i’m sure they will work. If you do it on wet hair it almost doesn’t matter what your texture is as long as you have it wrapped smoothly to the ends.

df
df

finger curls set with gel…keep them in for a couple of days, unravel them…perfect, uniform curls…

Serena
Serena

I sometimes shampoo or co-wash with my twists still in tact. The results are a much curlier more defined curl that lasts for days!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/redme‑1.JPG[/img]

Nicole
Nicole

oh Tracey Ellis Ross with your loose curls and the disappointment you create for ever girl looking to go natural and seeing you as the face of natural hair…

Lele
Lele

I like curlformers the most.

Dawn
Dawn

i cosign on curlformers. i love them. i just ordered a longer and wider set of 32 as of the past week. but i also like the braidout method, which i roll the ends of in satin rollers and that gives me stellar uniform curls. i mainly use it to keep my hair stretched. i could care less about how defined the curl itself is, just so long as my tresses don’t get tangled.

Tiffany G.

I disagree that flexi sets are best for loosely textured natural hair. I am 4a/4b and my hair comes out great. It’s all about the technique and products that you use. I’m a big fan of flexi sets and flat twist outs. If I could do bantu knot outs, I would. Here are some pics of my flexi sets and natural hair.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Picture39.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Picture80.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Picture83.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Picture65.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Picture16.jpg[/img]

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  Tiffany G.

Can you say the method / products you used to achieve such results? Lovely!

Tiffany G.
Reply to  Lela7

@Lela7 Sure. You can either achieve this look on clean or dirty hair. In the first picture, I achieved this look on an old flat twist out. The main products I use are diluted lottabody setting lotion, water, flexi rods (usually the blue and orange). I usually section the hair into four parts: two in the back and two in the front. I take a piece of hair from each section, spray it with water and the lottabody solution, detangle with my denman and roll the section tauntly. After completing my whole head, I usually spray spritz and heat protectant over… Read more »

Tiffany G.
Reply to  Tiffany G.

Here’s a picture of my best flat twist out ever. Sadly, I can’t remember the combination of products I used or if it was done on old hair. More than likely, I used MsDanti1’s technique.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/FlatTwistout9282011.jpg[/img]

lindy
lindy
Reply to  Tiffany G.

NIIIICE; and pastel colors look lovely on you.

lillian mae
Reply to  Tiffany G.

Your hair looks awesome! One thing I’d like to try before my BC is flexi-rods. How long does it take you to put them in? I’ve had stellar results putting them in someone else’s hair but I’ve put off trying them on my my hair.

Tiffany G.
Tiffany G.
Reply to  lillian mae

@ lillian mae It takes about 30 minutes for me to put them in. Maybe longer if Im being slow.

CeeJay
CeeJay
Reply to  Tiffany G.

Your flexi rod set just stopped me from relaxing all this d*mn hair. I’ve out grown weaves and have about 14 inches natural 4a hair. Didn’t know what to do, thank you for having such beautiful hair pics.

Melissa J.
Melissa J.

What would be the best- flexi rods or curl formers- for fine hair?

zyaran
zyaran

Check out this gorgeous natural haired singer, she also has a song that played on mondays episode of Mobwives.
Artist is ‘Nabiha” video title Never Played the bass

and “Can’t Do Anything” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx5fHbuVBVssong from the Mobwives

shelikes
shelikes
Reply to  zyaran

love her hair; love her sound, thx

AnaDion

I loooove my flat twist out: they are a godsend for fine haired naturals, esp. if they are looking to create a chunky twist out. I can do my hair in 4 flat twist and create beautifully chunky waves that just are possible doing any amount of individual twists. Bantu knot out on blown out or straightened hair have become my winter staple. It makes my hair a breeze to detangle, helps it retain moisture, and is a lot less violent with my fragile winter strands than twisiting them. the 1st is a (rare) individual twist out, the other two… Read more »

AnaDion
Reply to  AnaDion

sorry, the 1st 2 are Bantu, the last is a twist out

Reggie
Reggie

I have tried Strawllers and prefer the uniformed curl.

trackback

[…] Most naturals have multiple textures on their heads. It’s not uncanny or unusual yet it remains a major point of contention. There are many simple, attractive styles that address multiple textures. We’ve actually dedicated two photo galleries to them: The Best Styles for Hiding Multiple Textures and 5 Styles for Defined Uniform Curls. […]

Jasmine
Jasmine

-I’ve tried a flexi rod set on my hair & absolutely loved it though I am not natural my hair looked very natural the curls came out great & it was my first time doing the technique I only used Motions Moouse & 3 sizes for the flexi rods each very small

Calista Flockhart Nude

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this
fantastic blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this
site with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

Also visit my web site: Calista Flockhart Nude

T.K.Oh!
T.K.Oh!

I have so many textures…4 years natural and I think I’m still finding new texture… and, of course, the sky,perfectly curled hair is at my nape — frizzy, zig zag in the top and front! I’ve tried flat twists, it’s been hit out miss at best. I really would love to try Curlformers but haven’t purchased them yet. I’m inspired to try Bantu knots again, as my previous attempt was a fail. I have to agree product matters.