5 Nutrients for Healthy Hair Growth in One Smoothie

Avatar • Mar 12, 2012

By Fran of Heyfranhey.com

Last week we discussed the importance of being aware of our nutrition and daily food intake. It’s important to assess what we are consuming, not only for the sake of our beauty regimens but also for our overall health. Eating processed, factory-made foods deprives us of essential nutrients, proteins, vitamins and minerals. We blame a lot of our beauty goals not being met on specific products and techniques, but our food plates are important factors contributing to those expectations. By incorporating more natural, healthier eating habits into our daily routines, we will see and feel incredible results as well as positively improve our quality of life. I’ve learned, from first hand experience, that being natural is most beneficial when it starts from the inside out.

I understand the transition is not an easy one. A lot of factors come into play: finances, accessibility to clean foods and just being a creature of habit. In the following weeks, we will try to figure out ways to improve our diets without breaking the bank. As well as share recipes on ways to gradually incorporate a cleaner, processed-free lifestyle without having to jump into it cold turkey. This isn’t about becoming a vegetarian or vegan. This is more about understanding what is currently going into your body, their short-term and long-term effects as well as your options.

Today we will start with a quick and easy “Green Smoothie” that will help you begin a transition, if you’re interested of course, into a healthier lifestyle. Smoothies are always the coolest way to start the journey because who doesn’t love a smoothie? Also, they can always be modified to suit your favorite flavors and consistencies. The purpose is to use them on a daily basis to incorporate essential vitamins and nutrients that your body is unable to create on its own. Last week we learned that our bodies need Omega‑3 Fatty Acids, Water, Protein, Minerals and Vitamins to be properly replenished on a daily basis. Here is a smoothie you can try that will incorporate all of those essentials:

1 cup of almond milk (Provides Protein, Potassium & Zinc minerals)
1 Organic Banana (Provides Vitamin A, B, C, E & Iron minerals)
1 Handful of Spinach (Provides Fiber, Protein and Cancer-fighting Antioxidants)
1 Handful of Kale (Provides Vitamin A, C, K, & Sulfur for Detoxification)
1 Tablespoon of Flax Seeds or Chia Seeds (Provides Omega‑3 Fatty Acids)
1 Organic Pear (Provides Calcium & Fiber)
½ Cup of Ice

This drink should be consumed first thing in the morning, either as a replacement for breakfast or as a supplement (if you feel its not enough). All of these ingredients provide the essentials to help your body function properly throughout the day. I keep a list on my fridge of the different veggies & fruits that fall under the nutrients needed on a daily basis. That way I can switch up the combinations so I don’t become bored with the taste. Make sure to check back to the article from last week for those exact categories. Also, remember you are drinking for health and not simply for pleasure, so don’t expect the taste to blow you away! What should help you down that smoothie is keeping in mind how powerful it is for your energy levels and internal system. Not to mention how awesome your body, skin and hair will look after just a few weeks! Let’s take those baby steps towards a better, happier life. Keep me posted on what you guys think and how you feel!

Fran is the author of HeyFranHey.com. Follow her on Twitter @heyfranhey.

About Fran

I'm a natural hair, nutrition and fitness blogger from New York City. Battling a kidney related illness that doctors couldn't seem to fix, I became obsessed with alternative medicine. After months of researching and finally curing myself, it became quite evident that healthy resources in our urban communities were lacking. I began my health & wellness tumblr in Dec of 2010 as somewhat of a journal, hoping to shed some light on my journey to health as well as our disconnection with healthy living. It's been my goal to create a safe haven where our wellness concerns could be shared and hopefully cured, as naturally as possible.

Naeema
Naeema

I love green smoothies! I also add honey, vanilla whey protein and some organic yogurt = DELISH!

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Naeema

+1 (we add the exact same thing Naeema=) Here’s to our health ladies. Yay!

Alexandra
Alexandra

I love these type of smoothies too. Knowing that it’s green it’s letting me know that I’m really drinking something good. I like to add organic maple syrup for sweetness and vanilla yogurt for sweetness, calcium and a little protein. Yummy!

Anatural
Anatural

Thats cool but for those who don’t have much time(like me) I pick up a naked green machine or a boathouse green which contain spirulina also excellent for health & hair growth

mizJazE
Reply to  Anatural

I do the same thing. Once I get another blender, I might do it on the weekend.

niki
niki
Reply to  mizJazE

I love the boathouse one! I don’t have a blender right now so this works for me.

tgmph09
tgmph09
Reply to  Anatural

I also use the Naked Green machine as well and have even tried incorporating wheat grass juice. The goal is 3 to 4 times a week, we’ll see how it goes lol

Carla
Carla

Great article Fran! I absolutely LOVE green smoothies and what they do for my skin 🙂 I use pretty much everything that you listed here and drank one everyone morning last week.

RasheL
Reply to  Fran

Great article I wanna try it, but I’m allergic to Pear , what can I take at it place???
thx 🙂

fluffy in flight
fluffy in flight

That’s right and after a few weeks you start glowing like a lantern. Don’t forget that mangoes, grapes, and as you said bananas can be added to sweeten.

Kimberly
Kimberly

Can anyone post their recipe for their green smoothie? i tried tried it out this morning and let’s just say it didnt turn out exactly how i wanted it lol

Carla
Carla
Reply to  Kimberly

Hey Kimberly, I pretty much use everything that Fran listed. You can substitute organic pure orange juice for the almond milk or add lemon juice to make sure smoothie sweeter 🙂 Adding water or ice also makes the smoothie less thick.

Play around with it a couple of times and feel free to mix and match. You’ll get the hang of it and what you like! It’s hard to stop once you start 🙂

Likewaterforchocolate
Likewaterforchocolate
Reply to  Carla

1 cup Almond Milk
1 tbsp Hemp Protein
1 cup of spinach
1/2 large bananna (the more ripe, the sweeter the smoothie)
1/2 cup of green grapes
2 kiwi fruit

Ogo
Ogo
Reply to  Kimberly

This is what I’ve been doing:
1/2 cup of keffir (sp)? or yogurt
1 cup of kale
2 medium sized carrots
some ginger (I don’t measure)
1 tbsp of coconut oil
1 apple OR 1/2 cup of frozen berries

I like my recipe, but I’m still learning and researching. I’m trying to find the best recipe for me! Good luck! (And, if you feel like it, tell me how it tastes!)

Justice
Justice

I made a delicious smoothie today consisting of a clementine, sunflower seed milk, a frozen fruit blend from Trader Joes consisting of cherries,blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries; a ripe banana, 4 dates and a 1/2tsp of green powder from Health Force Nutritionals.

Alexandra
Alexandra
Reply to  Justice

Wow, Justice, this sounds so good! I have to try this! I love everything green that’s edible ( =

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Justice

Ooooh that does sound good!! Thanks Justice =)

Sieta

I love these smoothies. I’ve been making smoothies regularly since about last summer. I always use banana, soy milk, baby spinach and some avocado. The ingredients are very inexpensive and readily available as well.

NikkiN
NikkiN

I have just started juicing and I’m looking for recipes so this was a good and timely article for me. I made a smoothie with Spinach, Banana, Red Apple, Green grapes, Flax seeds and pineapple juice (sorry no quantities) yesterday and it was divine!

Earth Angel
Earth Angel

Uh…the taste of my smoothies DO blow me away. Just sayin! Healthy can TASTE GOOD too! <3

ashanti
ashanti
Reply to  Fran

Yes, it actually is good! I was shocked hahahaha my body, skin, and hair thank you for this article 🙂

gigi
gigi

such good recipes! some of the raw vegans out there incorporate celery & romaine for cooling factors overall. The kale & spinach are essential of course & carrots, apples & berries, bananas are all interchangeable. One thing I thought was interesting was the tip of *NOT* just downing them… you should sort of ‘chew’ as you drink– when you activate the saliva, the acids & enzymes maximize the nutrition it’s kind of a weird concept, but it works 🙂

Barbara
Barbara

Looks good but I’ve read greens + fruits should not be juiced together.

Ogo
Ogo
Reply to  Barbara

Can you tell us why or provide a link? TIA.

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Barbara

Hey Barbara, I try to stick w/ proper food combinations as well as I have a very sensitive tummy; yet, I have found that mixing fruit and greens in a smoothie, not as a dish, does not produce any of the typical symptoms of improper digestion (bloating, gas, etc).

Give it a try =) Green smoothies have kept my weight in check and offer loads of raw wholesome nutrition.

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  anastasia

Thanks so much guys!

Linda
Linda
Reply to  Barbara

Barbara I’ve been juicing for about 6 months combining veggies and fruits. Honestly, the only thing I notice is that I have become regular, which is a good thing. I found this book on Amazon called the Juice Fasting Bible and she has about 50 recipes in it for various conditions. I purchased mine used for only a few bucks. I pick like 3–4 recipes to try for the week. Also, I don’t use a blender I use an actual juicer like Jack Lalanne.

Link to book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Juice-Fasting-Bible-All-Juice/dp/1569755930/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334179523&sr=1–1

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Linda

Thanks Linda.

Jo
Jo

can you post the list you put on your fridge!!!..pleaaasssee!

Bernadette
Bernadette

I’d rather just eat my greens although the raspberries and blueberries in the picture made it look appetizing.

Belinda

I began drinking green smoothies a few months and I absolutely love them! 2 of our 3 kids love them as well. Just wanted to point out that “green” smoothies come in other colors, too. No one mentioned them, but beets(yes, I said it!) are a great addition as well, and they make a beautifully deep red/ pink smoothie. Most importantly, they give you ENERGY! I generally put 1/2 of a beet in my smoothies in addition to the fruit/ veggie combo you’ve listed. I also wanted to point out that a splash of lime juice can rid any potential… Read more »

Belinda

I also forgot to say that Vitamix (vitamix.com) gives a free smoothie blend sheet for the “price” of signing up for their free newsletter. Great health info on kale, broccoli, etc., and 100s of other combinations possible from their list of ingredients. Happy blending!

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Belinda

Wow! Thanks for the hookup Belinda, Fran, and all the other ladies!

BTW, I too love Beets Belinda-After a glass of freshly extracted beet juice, my energy is through the roof! (that beet sugar is something else)

Also, speaking of root vegetables, I have found that if the whites of my eyes are looking a little dull carrots, parsnips, beets, blended/juiced with apple and pear does wonders to brighten up my eyes.

Belinda
Reply to  anastasia

Interestingly enough, , I HATE beets! I mean, I loathe them with a passion. But I know they are good for me, if not good to me, and again, they are purposeful in the smoothie. Incidentally, I don’t care for spinach, either, but I have managed to tolerate them raw. The lime juice helps, and sometimes I actually add in a tablespoon of frozen concentrate–raspberry lemonade, limeade, etc. The youngest enjoys that and, at eight years old, will actually say to me some mornings, “This needs something–beets!” I’m a believer!

sexylocs
sexylocs
Reply to  Belinda

The spinach in the smoothies are excellent in adding oxygen to the body do you know the more oxygen and alkaline your body is the less acidic it is. Diseases love an acidic and inflammation in the body to wreak havoc on your body. Beet juice will actually decrease your blood pressure by at least 20 points if you have Hypertension.(High Blood Pressure). I love Collards in my green smoothies, i also add bananas, mangoe, pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries(Frozen). I add virgin coconut oil(1 Tbsp) or flax seed oil. organic carrots and my greens are usually organic. If you want… Read more »

helloelo
helloelo

I had to do that! Seems so healthy!

Li
Li

I’m so glad for this post because I just begain wanting to incorporate green smoothies into my diet and I hope that I woll reap the benefits of it inside and out!

Shay K
Shay K

I’m excited! I’ve been looking for a green smoothie, can’t wait to try it. Should the smoothie be fresh or can I make it the night and put it in the refrigerator for the morning?

Alicia
Alicia

Hi Fran ~ Is the almond milk interchangeable with vanilla soy milk? Will my smoothie still have the same nutritional values?

Deborah
Deborah

I’ve been making green smoothies for the past year now. A full size blender will yield me 3 servings(~500ml each) and that way I don’t have to make smoothies every day. I use everything: parsley, watercress, collard greens, berries, papaya, and pineapple. My rule of thumb is 3 servings of fruit to 2 servings of greens blended with water. Ive gotten to the point where i’d rather drink my veggies than eat my veggies. I love green smoothies!

avanna
avanna

Kimberly Snyder (nutritionist) has a lot of info on her website about raw food and green smoothies. This is the recipe she uses http://www.kimberlysnyder.net/blog/ggs-recipe/

soulsentwined
soulsentwined

can you prepare this the night before?

cygnet
cygnet

Hi, y’all, spoiler here :-). I do not juice. For one thing, I’ve never owned a juicer, and I’m given to understand that the standard blender just doesn’t cut it. The times that I do attempt a smoothie, it’s usually all fruit, with or without ice. Usually, my results are a fail as far as both texture (not thick enough for my liking) and taste (fruit tastes fine in its whole form, but combined into a smoothie made by yours truly, they tend to “need something”). I do like smoothies, however, and I wish I could afford more of them. However, because… Read more »

SS
SS

I have a blender and I have been making smoothies and really enjoying the different smoothies I create. However I am curious to know is there a nutritional difference in using a juicer versus a blender. I really don’t want to purchase another appliance but I want to make sure I am getting the benefits from making a smoothies.

Tanya
Tanya
Reply to  SS

The difference between the two that I’ve found and read is that with a blender you are receiving all of the nutritional benefit because you are not throwing away any of the product but of course the outcome is a thicker drink.

With the juicer you get just that, juice and are left with the pulp that most people throw out but it could be put to good use as baby food, compost ingredients, soup/stock ingredient, etc.

I do both and like both but since I’ve purchased the Vitamix (which is a high powered blender) I mostly use this.

Hope this helps.

trackback

[…] and nutrient levels. Think I’ll try the following smoothie recipe I saw in the article, 5 Nutrients for Healthy Hair Growth in One Smoothie ‚on BGLH earlier this […]

Mórrígan

As far as taste goes, whenever I make a fruit and veggie smoothie and don’t find it tasty enough, I add a tablespoon or so of raw honey. It’s a natural sweetener (better for you than corn OR cane sugar) that has a number of health benefits (it’s antibacterial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory, for starters).

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Damn! Forgot the kale! *runs to the shops*

Tahani
Tahani

This article could not have come at a better time. I was spending $110 on a protein shake each month. I can to the conclusion yesterday morning that I could not keep spending this money. The irony is that I had all the ingredience in my kitchen to make the Green Smoothie. Absolutely love it and no more spending hundreds on a protein shake.

Mel Rabang

I like your post specially you decided to add Almond milk. You see Almond milk nutrition is a good way to stay fit and trim. Another advantage is it has selenium that is essential to prevent cell or tissue damage. Selenium is note to help in the reproductive functions of the body as well as in our metabolism. It’s truly a good day to have a glass of milk that’s certainly nonfat and still ostentatiously delicious and healthy to boot.

tonsil stones treatment

It’s the best time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have learn this post and if I could I want to counsel you some attention-grabbing things or advice. Maybe you can write next articles regarding this article. I want to learn even more things approximately it!

Tanya
Tanya

WHAT!

Danelle
Danelle

I need to know what I can use instead of a milk like substance, I can’t have any type of dairy products, like almond, soy, rice, and so forth?

Christine
Christine
Reply to  Danelle

Almond milk is dairy free, there is no milk in it.

Linda
Linda
Reply to  Danelle

Almond milk is made from crushed almonds soaked in water and strained of pulp. Almond milk is popular among vegetarians and vegans. I drink Almond milk because I am lactose intolerant in the worst way. If I drink real milk I feel like I’m going to die from the discomfort.

samira
samira

Thanks for this Fran, I’ve just tried it — added mango and fat free vanilla and rhubarb flavoured yoghurt — and it was AMAZING! Tastes soo good! I’d have one everyday even if it didn’t have all the good stuff inside. 🙂

Christine
Christine

Thank you so much for this idea! I followed this recipe, except without flax and added bluberries and strawberries and it tasted really good! Couldnt even taste the greens lol

Jazmine

I’m allergic to almonds, so I don’t know if I’m allergic to almond milk, is there a substitution for almond milk?

NubianGoddess
NubianGoddess
Reply to  Jazmine

Try using hazelnut milk, or coconut..they are both very nutritious and delicious. Or, as stated earlier, incorporate a juice in it(whichever suits you).

Jayxox
Jayxox

How long do these juices keep for?

Linda
Linda
Reply to  Jayxox

According to my juicing book, the juices should be consumed immediately, however if you can atleast consume it the same day that would be good as well. The book says that the juice will lose it’s nutritional value if it sat too long.

df
df

i deal with candida overgrowth so i don’t make my veggie smoothies too sweet which is fine. I made an AWESOME smoothie this morning before my last final and  I always try to chop up and wash a combo of veggies and use them as needed so I just had what was available.I just combined a mix of brocolli, red bell pepper, field greens, kale, collard greens and carrots with an apple, bannana, a spoon of ground flaxseed and some ice.  It was subtly sweet, yet yummy and it gave me great energy and made me run to the bathroom! (Which is… Read more »

Elle
Elle

Can you post a link to that essential list you mentioned? Or direct us to it? I have something similar, that I’ll try to post later from a computer. Thanks for the write up! I’ve been wanting to try green smoothies for a while, but I’ve been afraid of hitting a bad combination. This has brought out some great suggestions from several people.

abrielle
abrielle

Hi guys! I just wanted to know… has anybody tried this and had good results with their hair?

Calilove
Calilove

I really enjoyed reading your article! I will definitely consider all of the great advice. One question,has this process of creating and drinking this smoothie helped your hair to grow, stronger,thicker and longer. Most importantly, healthy!?

Christina
Christina

I’ve always experience dry, brittle, breaking hair through out my life until I started these smoothies, occassionally substituting homemade green smoothies for already prepared store brought brands with the same + more fruits+ veggies, including Spirulina and Chlorella (Odwalla Superfood or Bolthouse Green Goodness). I have to say that my hair has shown amazing growth, shine and no breakage. In 3 months I went from having 6 inches of hair to 12 inches. Yeah, that double my hair length in 3 months, no joke. Also included in my regimen, I take Centrum liquid vitamins and sleep on a satin pillow… Read more »

Mika
Mika
Reply to  Christina

Hi Christina,

I just wanted to tell you thank you so much for putting your post up. It really inspired me to give it a try and you were right :-)!!! I have notice results in my hair as well as with my health. I am so so grateful that God lead me to this link for my well being overall. Thanks for sharing :-).

Christina
Christina

I also have to include that the store brought green smoothies are great for someone on a budget + and no time to blend at home. I pay around $4 for a 32oz of Bolthouse Green Goodness (thats $1 a serving) or $9 for a half gallon of Odwalla Superfood. You can find these green smoothies at the fruits + veggie section or health food section in a chain supermarket (Walmart, Krogers, HEB, Stop+Shop, etc…). I’ve even seen single serve containers in Walgreens.

trackback

[…] Click here for part 1 […]

Cristen
Cristen

How many calories in this?

Bree
Bree

This is the only way to start my day. It sets the record for a healthy eating day.

sneha
sneha

Hello, I am thinking to start making this smoothie from next week. I have a couple of questions:
— Is it okay if I replace ice with plain water? Is there any specific reason to use ice?
— I have never tried almond milk before, but is it okay to use the almond milk available in market? I have seen some in WholeFoods store in US, but I am not sure how pure they are.