Denisio // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Feb 25, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
D:
I’m Denisio, from Maryland/Washington, D.C. I am a Photographer, Artist and Vintage Reconstructor.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
D:
I think I just got to a point where it didn’t seem necessary to perm anymore. I learned to like the natural texture of my hair, although I still like to play with color A LOT.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
D:
There was never a transition. I’m a very impulsive human being so one day I told my hubby I wanted it all off so he grabbed his clippers and shaved my head. I’ve BC’ed several times in my life so there was never really any fear of having short hair.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
D:
Well it’s definitely saved me time and money on doing hair!!! I think I’ve learned to be more confident without hiding behind my hair. Even when I was long and natural I feel like I relied on my hair to make me feel beautiful.

How would you describe your hair?
D:
Short, thick, kinky, and sexy!

What is your regimen?
D:
I alternate between homemade products like shealoe and herbal infused oils and Kinky Curly Products. Even though it’s very short, I like to keep my hair and scalp moisturized, as color is very drying.

Tell us about your hair color?
D:
I’ve experimented with many colors, but I’m a fan of the honey blonde and ash blonde shades, especially with my skin tone. I use professional color (Clairol), but I do it myself. It’s a double process in which I bleach my hair and then apply the tint. It hasn’t changed the texture of my hair, but it can be very drying so I do deep conditioning treatments weekly.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair, especially now that you have color?
D:
I’m not concerned with length anymore. But when I did have longer hair, I did a lot of creative protective styles to keep my hair off my shoulders. I think that was the key in retaining my length.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
D:
Thinking that I need to have my hair a certain length or texture for it to be pretty. For me, taking away the stress of my hair by having none has changed my life, at the risk of sounding melodramatic. Even if I were to grow my hair out again, I think I’ve gotten over the obsession with it.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
D:
Love it. It’s that simple.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
D:
theravenouscreator.com

About Meosha

SuSangFroid

That’s my prophyte y’all … Geesh I’m so proud.

Avanti
Avanti

I absolutely LOVE your hair short!!! And I’ve seen you on Etsy! I want those Maasai necklaces so bad… Beautiful girl, keep up the gorgeousness!!!!!

Amor
Amor

I love her freckles lol and she is sho nuff telling my hair story. My hair is short like that now. (Amor Delsol Laluz on fb if anyone is interested in looking)

hairscapades
Reply to  Amor

+1 I love, love, LOVE her freckles! Beautiful woman and I think the TWA in every color is so flattering on her!! Love that orange dress too!

Shelli

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella

As much I find her longer hair lovely, I do think short hair suits her better with a hint of color.

I love how striking her features looked with it.

That pic with that Massai Necklace is giving me everything and lord her freckles are so cute.

I definitely agree with her you don’t need “necessarily” length in your hair to be pretty.

Misha
Misha

Her response to the question “What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?” is so awesome…I feel that is when you have truly completed your natural journey…as a newbie I have not yet reached this point but I do see it as an ultimate goal 🙂

LBell
LBell

So refreshing to see a “short hair, don’t care” lady on BGLH! 🙂

Onebyd42
Onebyd42
Reply to  LBell

+1000!!!

jaedabarbie
Reply to  Onebyd42

I agree! This girl is fierce

Sieta

I love the variety of styles she has! The short cut looks great!

Amiya
Amiya

I really like short hair on her, it suits her so well. She’s an amazing artist ‚and I want that peach belted dress!

Maha
Maha

I’m loving all the fly natural icons coming out of DC right now!! *looks around the corner and guards her man!* lol j/k
These pics are popping… she is quite the transformer

sosoulful0125
sosoulful0125

One word HOT!!!!

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

I love her freckles!
Her look is so versatile! Short, long, dark, blonde, and etc, etc. I like that 🙂 Very beautiful to see someone not scared of change!

Ev`Yan

My official new girl crush.

Naturalbelle
Naturalbelle
Reply to  Ev`Yan

Ev’Yan.

You are still my girl crush! I remember you being featured here when you first did a big chop and I adored you immediately.

I also followed your blog apricot-tea, though I think the name has changed.

Like you,all of the mini-fro are striking beauties! Denisio is no exception. She looks fab and I agree, she looks mah-valous with this teeny weeny fro.

ROCKON

merry
merry

this is how i wore my hair for years before letting it grow out. i often think about cutting it.

i think she looks better with the short hair. her freckles are cute too.

on some people, longer hair just looks too common…

Vick
Vick

My boo Denisio! I have seen her with long locs, long natural hair, long relaxed hair, short hair, short blonde…she does it all and does it all so BEAUTIFULLY!

Denisio

Thank you so much for all the kind words. I’m definitely happy that I can inspire others on their hair journey! How lucky are we to have such awesome sites like BGLH! 🙂

Denisio Truitt
T: @denisiotruitt
W: theravenouscreator.com

Nicole
Nicole
Reply to  Denisio

Who cuts/shape up your hair? I am looking for someone in the DMV area to cut my hair off.

Gemgoodies

A stunning portfolio of styles. I love your freckles! You and I have the same texture and love for short styles and colors–especially the caramel and honey blondes hues. I too like switching up on different looks and cuts. You have great makeup and a haute style maven!

~Namaste’

Gemgoodies

~Namaste’

SharBear
SharBear

Ok DC… i cu girl! lol. love your artistic pics..I agree with the rest.. short suits you best.. I BC back in May and I’m just now embracing this new world of naturalism.Thanks for your info.. I will be coloring my “do” by Easter…not new to it but excited anyhow.
Keep doing you to the fullest!

nelle
nelle

Gorgeous, I have been fighting the urge to shave my head (my hair is natural, past collar bone) for 2 mths and this is NOT helping!! I love it.

Dawn
Dawn

she is absolutely stunning. i love her hair color and style.

Nikki
Nikki

She is very beautiful, but that painting she’s working on has COMPLETELY taken my breath away!!!! What a VERY talented artist!!!

Candis
Candis

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAY DMV !… very pretty and stylish~ Rock On girl

Sandrinah
Sandrinah

she has the most pretty freckles i’ve ever seen, and her hair is really lovely, it makes me want to dye my hair

Brooke
Brooke

This is such a great interview. Denisio is lovely and can pull any hairstyle and hair color off beautifully. I love her insight. Thank you for sharing!

trackback