Florie // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jan 9, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
F:
My name is Florie and I’m from London Town. I’m an Editorial Assistant at a fashion magazine.

What is the natural hair scene like in London?
F:
There isn’t a scene as such but there’s are a lot more girls with short natural cuts than there were like 3 or 4 years ago.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
F:
There wasn’t really a profound reasoning behind it, I just cut all my hair off one morning. It wasn’t so much about going natural for me. It was about having no hair to fuss over and just having the confidence to be bald.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
F:
I had relaxed hair and a full head of weave, but I decided to shave half and keep half long. Every time I went to the barber I made him shave a little bit more hair off the long side, so it made sense and it felt right for me to take the rest off.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
F:
I don’t spend as much time or money on my hair anymore and it made me more confident in who I am.

How would you describe your hair?
F:
I have very thick course hair. it grows quickly so I trim it a lot.

What is your regimen?
F:
I wash with Motions Shampoo, then use Motions Conditioner. I rub a mix of Dax and Motions Daily Moisturiser into my hair whilst damp.

Tell us about your hair color?
F:
I do my own hair using rapid white powder bleach and cream peroxide in 30%. I have to re-do my roots every 2–3 weeks which leaves my scalp very dry, so I moisturise with castor oil and coconut oil a few nights a week. Using bleach can definitely damage the texture and curl of your hair, but apart from dryness and a little slackening in my curls I haven’t had any adverse effects. I also deep condition it a few times a month.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
F:
A few weeks ago someone made a snide remark about my hair so I started feeling a bit uneasy about it and decided to go back to black for the new year. I dyed it, woke up the next morning, cried my eyes out (I’ve only ever been bald or blonde and I didn’t recognise myself). I mixed up some bleach and was back to blonde within the hour! It taught me not to let negative opinions influence me. All that matters is that I’m happy with what I see when I look in the mirror.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
F:
The coconut+castor oil mix helps ALOT in hydrating my hair+scalp and keeping them healthy.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
F:

About Meosha

Ogo
Ogo

Florie, boo, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your style! You have fab hurr — yes hurr; s/o to Houston TX! — and awesome style! You look vivacious, sexy, and full of life. Ugh! I love my natural sistas! <3

hassan
hassan

So pretty & your hair is soo cute!

Bumper
Bumper

Whilst Florie does look stylish, I worry about her reaction when she dyed her hair black since the natural colour of most afro caribbean hair is either black or brown. Whilst it is fine to change our hair colour, at what point in our lives does brown or black no longer suit us assuming we grew up with that colour? Has blonde hair become the new ‘relaxed’ hair — anything but our own natural black/brown hair? Are black women again buying into a eurocentric form of beauty?

Jaeda Barbie
Reply to  Bumper

Let people do them. I just dyed my hair bright red and I love it so much. I loved my brown hair just needed a change. IT is not fair to read too much into things. If blonde makes her happy,that is great. Not everyone who dyes their natural hair are doing so because they want to look more Caucasian. Just my 2 cents:)

Bumper
Bumper
Reply to  Jaeda Barbie

Jaeda I think you missed my point. I am all for people changing their hair colour, styles, etc. What I found strange was her extreme reaction to dying her hair black (her natural colour). She, I quote, ‘cried her eyes out’ because she didn’t ‘recognise herself’.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Bumper

I understand your point. However, she says she’s only ever been bald or blonde so this is her look, so to speak. I’m going to assume it’s been her look since she was old enough to make decisions about her look (or a little older). I’m just sorry that she’s still not secure enough in that look such that a single snide remark caused her to dye it black. But then again I hear that working in the fashion industry is really hard and requires something of a tough skin. I hope that she’ll stick to what works for her…and… Read more »

Wushuchick
Wushuchick
Reply to  Bumper

She cried her eyes out because she didn’t recognize herself” She had dyed her hair because of what someone said to her!She cried Because she realized she was changing herself to please someone! People do say mean things and sometimes we don’t realize how damaging a “silly” comment can be.

nubiahbella
nubiahbella
Reply to  Bumper

Hmm ok!!!
I long for the day when some people will stop thinking that anything a Black woman do to her hair is link to this so called eurocentric form of beauty!

For centuries people across the globe have been dying their hair ( I can name you several African Ethnic Tribes where Women and Men dye their blond, red, use henna etc.…) and this has nothing to do with White people.

Tess
Tess
Reply to  nubiahbella

Preach!!

Zara
Zara
Reply to  Bumper

Even though everyone is getting at you for speaking your mind, which is undoubtedly the truth, I do agree with you 100%. Some of us naturals are such hypocrites! We condemn relaxed women but glorify so called naturals that dye their hair blonde. What makes her different or any better than a relaxed woman? I will take a relaxed hair over this blondish “natural” hair. There is also no difference between her and a dark skinned black woman with a blonde weave. If we all try to be honest with ourselves, we will admit that Florie looked more beautiful in… Read more »

hairgirl
hairgirl

what does she means there’s not a natural hair scene in London!! The scene is actually quite big. There’s always been lots of naturals here, and now there’s even more people going natural.

nubiahbella
nubiahbella
Reply to  hairgirl

Totally agree with you Hairgirl!

Most of the time British Natural hair style icon always seem to think that there’s no natural scene in UK.

When I moved to the UK from France, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of natural haired in London.

I see everyday people with locks or teenager with fierce natural hairstyle!

ljjohn
ljjohn
Reply to  nubiahbella

i agree there’s plenty in london. I wish there were more women with natural hair but there’s a fair few

Tess
Tess
Reply to  hairgirl

She never said there wasn’t a natural hair “scene” she said that there are more natural women walking around with shorter cuts than before.

hairgirl
hairgirl
Reply to  Tess

There isn’t a scene as such’ is what she said. I’m saying there is a ‘scene’, and more than just a few more girls walking around with shorter cuts. There are lots of naturals walking around with a variety of styles. 🙂

Tess
Tess
Reply to  hairgirl

But you can’t deny that she did acknowledge that there are natural haired women walking around.

hairgirl
hairgirl
Reply to  Tess

i never did deny it lol :/

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  hairgirl

I am also going to add that there is a hughe scene in london which is alive and kicking. I’m an old school natural haired head and haven’t really taken part in meet ups and so on, but i did use to attend a very popular natural hair and beauty exhibition in the early to mid 2000. Wouldn’t mind checking out the next meet in London, i think it’s great that more and more of us are saying yes to our natural tresses.

SiCe
SiCe
Reply to  maralondon

Same here Old Skool natural!! 🙂

Lyn
Lyn

Speechless!!! love love love!!

Macdee
Macdee

Do your thing girl and dont let anyone tell you who you should be!!
BTW You are definitely working it and it suits you.
UK Sistah.

Tiara

Love it!

Viv
Viv

She is beyond FABULOUS!!!!

Monzi
Monzi

Your pictures and hair are lovely! You remind me of Amber Rose

SiCe
SiCe

WTW???
She is just doing her own thing.…. no need to compare her to anyone !!

Kaye
Kaye

The hair color actually suits you, Love it!… I have to laugh at ppl that have a problem with blonde hair or any other color hair that is not “naturally for black women”…gosh even in Africa where there are so MANY tribes, you see the different beauty techniques and styles these true black…true Africans do, many of these tribes..especially the certain tribes of African men, they not only rock their own natural color hair, they do other things to it to chane the look! gosh..enough with the mental slavery you are encouraging, you not thinking for yourself, you think you are,… Read more »

trackback