Sofie in Norway // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Dec 7, 2011

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
S:
My name is Sofie and I’m 18 years old. I live in Norway with my mom. My dad is from a small Island called Dominica in the Caribbean so I’m mixed, and proud of it! I’m studying photography, but it’s only for a year. When I’m finished I will be working with people who are a little different than the rest of us who need a helping hand.

What is the natural hair scene like in Norway?
S:
Well you don’t see black girls with natural hair often in this country. There are some of us but not many, and I think that’s very sad. Almost all Norwegian people LOVE It and it seems like they get really fascinated in a positive way when they see black people with natural hair. I think that’s a very positive thing. But what really makes me sad is that IF I get negative responses regarding my hair it’s mostly from black girls who don’t wear their hair natural…And that makes me really upset because they should be on our “side” and really admire us for showing that we’re proud of who we are and how we were made! So I hope that will change in the future.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
S:
I went natural because I was tired of trying to be and look like someone I’m not. I had to be proud of who I am and where I got my roots from.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
S:
I was about 14 or 15 years old. I had been relaxing my hair for a long time and when I decided to go natural I just quit relaxing my hair and using heat. I didn’t want to go around bald so I just waited until my natural hair got a little length underneath the relaxed hair, and then I started cutting it off. At first it felt a bit strange, but once it started to grow and got a little length I just loved it!

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
S:
By going natural I felt more like myself and I don’t think I will ever go back to relaxing my hair. This is who I am now and I love it! After going natural I’ve been feeling more confident in myself and I regret I didn’t go natural sooner!

How would you describe your hair?
S:
My hair is very soft and not that thick, but that’s probably because I’m mixed I guess. My curls are kind of wild and do as they please most of the time. In the summer time my curls will actually behave a little different and they stick more together. That’s when I love my hair the most, but sadly for me here in Norway we don’t have a very long period of summer.

What is your regimen?
S:
When washing my hair I use products from Organic Roots Salon with Olive Oil…works wonders on my hair and scalp. Daily I use a product called African Pride Olive Miracle. I love this product very much and it works very well for my hair and also on dry skin. You can also use it as a hair treatment when you’re washing your hair.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
S:
There was a time when I was really lazy about taking care of my hair. I hadn’t moisturized it at all in a long time and my hair got really dry. I had to cut off a lot of it because of split ends and…NEVER AGAIN! I also braided my hair a while ago and I kept the braids in too long. My hair got really damaged, and I had to cut off split ends and broken hair. So these are mistakes I have learned from and will never repeat. My hair is my baby and I will do everything to make sure it’s healthy and strong!

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
S:
To retain length I cut a few inches of my hair 2 to 3 times a year when it’s needed and I keep my hair very moisturized. That way it grows faster. The most effective way to keep my hair healthy is to remember to moisturize it a lot after I’ve showered while my hair is still wet. It keeps it soft and the texture stays smooth for a good while.

Also, I don’t know if there are many who do the same as me when they sleep, but I feel this really works. It’s a bit hard to explain so I will add a YouTube video so you can see for yourself how it’s done, and People…it really WORKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUEmle63h8. This method keeps my hair protected from being rubbed against my head and pillow.

What would you like to see in Norway in terms of hair care?
S:
We actually have a lot of places where I can find good crèmes and shampoos and other things I need for my hair, so I have nothing to complain about in that area. But what I really would love to see is more places where they actually know how to handle natural hair. Like when I need to cut a few inches of my hair I have to do it myself because all the “natural hair dresser shops” only know how to get rid of the natural hair…Like braids, weaves, relaxer treatments, etc. I get tricked by the name of the shop because it’s always something about natural hair, but when I go inside no one knows how to “treat” my hair. So I always end up cutting it myself.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
S:
http://www.facebook.com/sofie.gran and http://nappyjoy.tumblr.com/

About Meosha

NatureIsle
NatureIsle

Thanks for the shout out to Dominica. Trying my best to represent the natural scene over here. Never thought we’d get mentioned on bglh!

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre
Reply to  NatureIsle

Dominica all day !

T.
T.

First of all, big up Dominica!

Second, your hair is lovely: I love how soft and poofy your fro looks, like a beautiful cloud of hair.

Lacoya S.

So beautiful!

On the subject of hair growth, I believe that trimming does not make the hair grow faster (I don’t think anything can, it’s based on genetics and the hairgrowth potential that it gives you).

Certain things can only help you get to your full “hairgrowth potential”, which is constant for any one person.

This article by JC of The Natural Haven explains it correctly:

As for this young lady, she is absolutely beautiful, and her hair is georgeous. I would LOVE to see a tutorial for her eyebrow maintainenance. They are perfect. LOL! 🙂 *hint hint*

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre
Reply to  Lacoya S.

Wow.. i didnt know that. thanks for sharing!
i find it very interesting 🙂

Thank you !

LaToya
LaToya

Your hair is gorgeous Sofie!

And you are so right about these “natural hair shops”. You get there only to find out that the “natural hair specialist” only knows how to braid it or weave it up! Some of these shops don’t even have shampoo bowls in them!

Her in Virginia we have what is called a natural hair license which is very limiting in it’s scope and different from a cosmetologist license.
I went to a natural hair specialist to get my split ends cut only to find out that they cannot trim your real hair!

Adeyinka
Adeyinka

Wow. She’s gorgeous!!

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre
Reply to  Adeyinka

Thanks alot !

Viv
Viv

My goodness I’m having MAJOR ‘fro envy right now. Just beautiful!

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre

Wow.. Thanks everybody. i really appreciate it !
Lots of love !

tellemlargemargesentya
tellemlargemargesentya

one word: stunning.

selma
selma

wow..Her hair is beautiful?

mw
mw

As a Dominican, it’s always amazing to get a big up… and it was even nicer in the comment section to not be confused with DR!

Her hair is absolutely beautiful and more importantly.…HEALTHY!

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre
Reply to  mw

Yes it’s good not to be mistaken for Dominican repulic, that happens often to me !

Thank you so much !

Hadiyah
Hadiyah

Shout to Dominica, my beautiful homeland:)Love the hair!!!!!!!!!

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre
Reply to  Hadiyah

Yeah Dominica all day <3 !
thank you !

MONICA

I love your hair it is beautiful. Am from the states,down south in Hattiesburg Mississippi. Here it has become so common for so many people to be natural and transition to be natural and am loving it.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/295310_263000627046416_100000094427544_1133899_3655408_n.jpg[/img]

MONICA

you can also follow me on facebook, bourne beautiful 4 the natural u

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre
Reply to  MONICA

I will check it out ! 🙂

Court
Court

Big ups to Dominica <3
I’m also 18, natural, and Dominican but I live in Texas!
you are gorgeous and your hair is gorgeous

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre
Reply to  Court

Yeah, big ups to Dominica! <3
Thank you so much!

maralondon
maralondon

You’re hair is beautiful and very healthy looking. I saw a Black dance group from Norway back in the summer, they came over to London to perform and all the girls had natural hair, looking fierce. My grandfather was born in Dominica, also know a few people from there. I hope to visit one day.

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre
Reply to  maralondon

Thanks alot!
It’s always fun to hear from people who have roots from Dominica, it’s a beautiful Island. just wish i could visit it more often !

ALS Simmons
ALS Simmons

Where in Norway are you? I’m actually over here in Bergen visiting my friend.
She’s half Norwegian and her dad is from St Vincent.
She finds it hard finding proper stuff for her natural hair.

Loulou Sofie Gran Pierre
Reply to  ALS Simmons

Hey you !
I’m in Kristiansand !
Yes it’s not easy i know, i often by a whole bunch of stuff when i’m in Oslo.
If she goes to Grønland in Oslo she will find many shops with products for her hair! 🙂 Hope this helps !

ALS Simmons
ALS Simmons

Thanks! I’ll let her know.

Ce Ce
Ce Ce

Your hair is beautiful. Chanel (my hair) wants to grow up one day to be like you. LOL… This site has provided me with such great info. By the way, I did not even know there were black naturals in Norway. You learn something everyday. I hope to one day travel outside the U.S. It seems like such a wonderful opportunity to get out and see the world. I have been stalking the teach abroad websites (I’m a certified teacher).

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Image0.jpg[/img]

??
??

I don’t even know how I stopped up right here, however I assumed this publish used to be good. I don’t recognise who you’re however definitely you’re going to a famous blogger in the event you are not already. Cheers!

gisella francisca

Just loved to read about Sofie in Norway. I will soon move to Oslo and it is great to already have some black gorgeous gals known faces 🙂

manda
manda

Hello! I am moving to Norway in a few months, sola area. I’m natural (1year). Was wondering if you knew any salons around my area. I will be there a few years.….so I’ll have to have my ends trimmed. Just a little scared to do it myself and too cautious to have anyone who isn’t a professional natural hair stylist pick up the scissors around me. Any suggestions or help?

christinanolanXD
christinanolanXD

I’m hoping to move to Oslo or Bergen some point in the future. This was refreshing to read 🙂

trackback

[…] sofie in norway natural hair style icon black girl with long hair African Hair Braiding Hattiesburg Ms Size: 630 X 720 | Source: bglh-marketplace.com […]