How to Tell if Your Hair is Moisturized

Avatar • Dec 27, 2011

Style Icon Leslie

By Jc of The Natural Haven

This post comes courtesy of a reader comment which asked how do you describe moisturized hair? I found this to be a difficult question to answer because there are quite a few things that I associate with the term ‘moisturized hair’. Instead of trying a one word descriptor, I thought perhaps what would be more helpful is a list of the properties of moisturized hair.

1. Moisturized hair is not wet

There is a big difference between wet, damp or misted hair and moisturized hair. To the touch, moisturized hair does not have a wet feeling. The moisture which differentiates it from dry hair is locked within the strand and not on the surface of the hair. Humidity or humectants (such as aloe vera, honey and glycerin) which act to increase the outer moisture of the hair do not change the fact that the hair is 100% dry to the touch.

2. Moisturized hair is a sound

The instantly recognizable feature associated with dry hair which is not moisturized is crackling. Dry unmoisturized hair tends to have a rasping sound when the strands are rubbed against each other. The drier hair gets, the more perceptible the sound becomes. Moisturized hair on the other hand is almost noiseless. The strands of hair can generally glide past each other and even where they tangle or knot, they do not make the same crunchy crackling of dry hair.

3. Moisturized hair is a feeling and a look

Moisturized hair is soft to the touch unlike dry hair where the texture of the hair is amplified making it feel rough. For those with natural shine/sheen or if a product with oil is used, moisturized hair will accentuate the shine.

4. Moisturized hair is flexible and strong

A very desirable property of moisturized hair is that it is more flexible and less susceptible  to breakage. Hair has a tendency to be able to stretch out and where tangles form, the hair does not tend to immediately snap. Where curls are present they will have a natural spring and where shrinkage is present, hair will be approximately 60–70% of its full length. The hair is not wet (i.e complete shrinkage) and is not dry (where hair can stretch to even 80–90% of its full length but has a tendency to snap when pulled or stretched).

5. Moisturized hair has all the above properties at the same time

As an example,  if you only add oil to your hair and no water, hair may feel soft to the touch and shine but may not be flexible and may still have a crackle to it when it is dry.

The principle way to identify moisturized hair is that it has to have all the properties described:

1. Not wet  to the touch

2. No crackling or crunching

3. Soft to the touch with shine (noting that shine is relative)

4. Flexibility and strength

Ladies, what are the telltale signs that your hair is moisturized or dry?

For more insightful articles check out The Natural Haven.

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

ashley
ashley

Great Article. Definitely saving this for future reference.

mali
mali

Great article. Please follow with a wintertime “how to get” and a “how to keep” moisturized hair article!! Thanks JC!!!

Steppa
Steppa

This is a good article. However, this sentence very confusing to me. And I’m nit sure if it is entirely true, but maybe I’m not reading it properly.

The hair is not wet (i.e complete shrinkage) and is not dry (where hair can stretch to even 80–90% of its full length but has a tendency to snap when pulled or stretched).”

Are you saying that “wet” means complete shrinkage? Whenever my hair is wet, as many 4a/4b naturals, my hair elongates like it will never do when it is dry (i.e, total shrinkage)?

Am I making sense?

TGL
TGL
Reply to  Steppa

I had a similar question about this sentence “Where curls are present they will have a natural spring and where shrinkage is present, hair will be approximately 60–70% of its full length.” Either I am misunderstanding, or this is simply inaccurate. So many people, especially of the 3c, 4a, and 4b variety have greater than 60 percent shrinkage when dry.

bee
bee
Reply to  TGL

@ tgl
jc is saying dry moisturized hair (as in not wet but moisturized) generally shows shrinkage of up to 60–70%. She is saying the same tihng as you. the problem is the term ‘dry’ is used as both the opposite of ‘wet’ and as the opposite of ‘moisturized’ that maybe where u r getting confused.

bee
bee
Reply to  Steppa

@steppa unless u r running ur hair under water, your hair will shrink when wet. a general property of wet curly hair. so perhaps when u experience elongated hair while wet it is when you are running water over it, ie under faucet in shower? think of your hair wet from misting with a spray bottle, ie not soaking wet and weighed down by excess water from running faucet. i think this is what jc is referring to, wet but not soaking wet. water will weigh down ur hair if hair is soaked or u r running under faucet, in… Read more »

Reply to  Steppa

Bee is right about what I mean. Let me use examples to make it clearer Soaking wet hair=complete shrinkage: If your hair is 6 inches long and then you soak it in water, it will tend to shrink to a shorter length depending on your curl type (anywhere between 1–4 inches). Although you can stretch it to full length, when you release the strand, it will always go back to the shorter length, it will not maintain the stretched length. This is what I am calling complete shrinkage. Dry hair = longer length: If your full length is 6 inches and… Read more »

TGL
TGL
Reply to  Jc

Thank you for clarifying!

And Bee thanks as well!

Neesha_Cherie
Neesha_Cherie
Reply to  Jc

Although you can stretch it to full length, when you release the strand, it will always go back to the shorter length, it will not maintain the stretched length. This is what I am calling complete shrinkage.”

Is this the same as elasticity?

Reply to  Neesha_Cherie

Neesha — Yes when hair is wet it is very elastic but as a result it is possible to stretch it beyond the limit where it would spring back to its natural length. Sometimes you can see this because what happens is that the strand thins down where it has been overstretched. This area that is thinned down is damaged permanently. On the other hand dry hair has more plastic properties. This is the reason why when you stretch it, it retains that length instead of shrinking back up to a shorter length. The disadvantage of this is that hair… Read more »

df
df

JC and Audrey S. always have the most helpful, informative articles about natural hair. Thanks for this.

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty

I’d add that moisturized hair tends to feel silky (especially the ends). It’s also not greasy.

CuteKinks

Very helpful article.

LBell
LBell

Jc knocks it out of the park again… 🙂

And can it be said one more time that moisturized is NOT the same as wet or moist? Please don’t leave coconut-oil-and-water spots on the backs of your friends’ couches! lol

Farrah
Farrah
Reply to  LBell

You have me singing “Soul GLow” now !!

Reply to  LBell

lol! Thanks for asking the question LBell 🙂

mangomadness
mangomadness

I would also add the following: “Don’t confuse the feeling of your hair texture for dryness.”

Thick Nigerian Hair
Thick Nigerian Hair
Reply to  mangomadness

I was just about to ask a question on that topic. I know people say that you should know your hair but, my hair is very thick, kinky (4b‑c), and coarse in texture. My hair always makes noise and softness…well, I haven’t the slightest clue as to what that means. I guess it doesn’t help that I usually put my hair in twists, only touch it when I’m washing or moisturizing, detangling, etc.

How loud is this crackling and crunching sound? Are we talking Corn Flakes cereal?

Jc

I agree with mangomadness. There is a big difference between dryness and texture. Curls and kinks are just natural twists in the strand. Thick Nigerian Hair — The sound that you hear is a raspy sound like that you get from rubbing two very dry fibres together (think straw, hay, dry grass.……). In cereal terms this is more like what you hear when you add milk to rice krispies / coco pops. Can I ask if your hair is generally ok (i.e not breaking/generally ok to handle when wet and dry)? If so then the moisture level you have is… Read more »

Thick Nigerian Hair
Thick Nigerian Hair
Reply to  Jc

I guess my moisture level is okay, then. I just washed my hair yesterday and did a twist-out bang today. Judging from that piece, I would say it’s moisturized: no crunch, raspy sounds, and soft (well as soft as my hair will get without heat). But, as a rule of thumb for me, unless it’s a very small section, I don’t comb my hair when dry. It won’t let me do that. Not with fingers and def not with a wide tooth comb. (I did an afro puff once after failing to define my curls with gel and I just… Read more »

Myne Whitman

Nice to know these things.

Kelley
Kelley

The girl’s hair in the picture at the beginning of the article was absolutely gorgeous. I wonder what products she uses?

Reply to  Kelley

That is Leslie of Naturally Leslie.

She used an oil mix to do that twist out (http://naturallyleslie.blogspot.com/2011/08/natural-hair-homemade-mix-cornrow.html)

She uses regular products (herbal essences, olive oil, fantasia etc). Here is her previous feature (http://bglh-marketplace.com/2009/11/style-icon-leslie-from-tennessee/)

lpwanted
lpwanted

Hi, Tough question.… from what i can understand hair that is oily does not neccessarily mean that it is healthy or moisturised. I want to know how can get my hair truly moisturised because i THINK i have tried everything, oils, butters, LOC method, Vit E, aloe, etc but after 4–5 hrs the hair is crispy. Sometimes yes hands come out oily when I run it through hair..but there is still loads of split ends, hundreds of tiny pieces of hair breaking off. On several strands there are up to 2 SSK each and up to 5 mid strand splits… Read more »

cygnet
cygnet
Reply to  lpwanted

Wow :-(! I’m sad to hear that for you. However, the little you’ve said begs more questions, and not just about moisturization but about manipulation as well, since that can contribute to damage and breakage as much as undermoisturization can. It may help to look at things in a more systematic way. How often does water touch your hair, and how does that happen? Do you cleanse daily, several times a week, once a week, once every 10–14 days, or less often? Do you rinse, spritz, mist, or steam between cleanses? When you cleanse, are you using products that are… Read more »

lpwanted
lpwanted
Reply to  cygnet

Thanks a lot. I read it all twice and I thought about the honest answers. I don’t think that I do absolutely everything right…but reading 101 hair forums and youtube vids I have a jist of what not to do. I will have to be more “constant” with whatever technique I emplore. Thanks again for the time you took to answer my woes. I see the effect you put into it and believe me it is greatly appreciated. I’ll even print and stick on my mirror as my constant reminder. I wish I could have had someone (like the rich… Read more »

Thick Nigerian Hair
Thick Nigerian Hair
Reply to  lpwanted

You might want to try a protein treatment. At least that’s what I do before doing any styles that will put some wear on it (weaves, heat). I’ve used Aphogee 2 Step Treatment. My regimen: 1) shampoo & condition (conditioner is mostly for detangling purposes) 2) Thick leave-in conditioner (not the liquid stuff). Most times, when I want to stretch out my bottle of leave-in, I’ll use a version of KimmayTube’s leave-in recipe. 3) Carol’s Daughter HHB/Mimosa for styling, shine, etc. 4) Since I do flat twists, I’ll use a light leave-in spray to moisturize ends and seal with an oil.… Read more »

geri
geri

I cosign with @Thick Nigerian Hair and @cygnet’s advice, and must also stress it’s not just how the hair is tended on the outside, it’s also health and diet. A person can moisturize, be gentle while manipulating, and use the best shampoo/cleansers and conditioners and seal faithfully, but diet can negatively affect hair and scalp health.

df
df
Reply to  geri

from me, i think it’s even more important. if i drink alot of water, eat healthy, exericse, minimize stress…i can get away with moisturizing with water and just sealing.

lpwanted
lpwanted
Reply to  df

I have a sneaky feeling that may be part of the problem. Arrgh, I take three weeks off the gym and my hair rebels!!!!

Alison
Alison
Reply to  lpwanted

My hair was a lot like that too. Recently, on wash days, I’ve been doing a hot oil treatment for about 15 minutes then detangling my hair in sections using an ample amount of what ever conditioner I have on hand. After detangling I twist each section into a large 2‑strand twist and let it sit for about an hour. I then hop into the shower were I shampoo my scalp with sulfate free shampoo and rinse out each twist one at a time. After shampooing I towel dry each twist a little bit, untwist, spritz with leave in, and… Read more »

Reply to  lpwanted

I actually think that a product will not fix this so I would really urge you as cygnet said to look at how you handle your hair. My hair never passed neck length for a long time for the same reason (i.e breaking). These are the things I credit 1. I learned that my hair is far too kinky for regular combs and thrived when I moved to a gentle finger combing routine. 2. I also started trimming my hair every 3–4 months to get rid of broken and split ends. On average I will cut 3–4 inches a year… Read more »

lpwanted
lpwanted
Reply to  Jc

Thanks Jc..Its funny how sometimes life comes back full circle. Many many moons ago that was my routine. I did not understand it at the time but I was very annoyingly insistent of trimming my hair every 4 months and only on the full moon, braiding and putting away. (I cannot finger detangle..just does not feel like I truly combed it out)..but i strayed. There was no natural hair community as a matter of fact I was something of an anomaly here in the caribbean where there is pressure to look more “presentable”, “corporate-friendly” and “professioanl”. Knowledge is power.!!! I… Read more »

Kim
Kim

Judging from the picture above, I have a similar hair type but it is not nearly as moisturized as hers (not even close). So what are the absolute best products to use and what technique is recommended to achieve such great results? I’m not completely all natural yet because I’m transitioning and have been for ten months. The new growth is outstanding considering how dry my hair is but the shedding is thinning my hair almost as much as having a relaxer. Right now, I’m doing kinky twist as a protective style and would love to start moisturizing for optimal… Read more »

joanna
joanna

I use jergen’s natural body lotion on my hair for moisture and I must say its been working. I would think it can’t work cause skin and hair are two different things but i think its worth a try.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/channelside.jpg[/img]

MO
MO

Good infomation. My question is, for my locked hair which sounds very dry and cruchy, what can I do to retain moisture?

Natalie
Natalie
Reply to  MO

Hi Mo, I used to have locks I suggest you use a leave in conditioner Giovanni is good because it is very light and you don’t want something that is going to be heavy to wash out. You should also wash your hair every 3 days you don’t have to co wash just rinse your hair with black tea then use a leave in and seal. I used to steam my locks as well they loved that, I would squeeze them and they would feel soft and bouncy. I would always apply rosemary infused olive oil then steam my hair. I really… Read more »

Lucky
Lucky

When I started my journey two years ago, I would pile on the moisturizer and sealer. I would run globs of product through my dripping wet hair. I would have huge greasy stains on my pillowcases every morning. In time I figured out to use less product. Not only is it better for the hair, it much easier on the wallet and the containers of product lasts much, much longer. I mist my hair as if I was misting one of my plants.

blb1980
blb1980
Reply to  Lucky

Wow that is me! I’m finding out that I have been using wayyyy too much moisturizer and water daily!

Natalie
Natalie

I know my hair is moisturised when it has a lovely bounce to it, you get this more with twists than plaits but I will squeeze a twist and if it springs back and is soft I know my hair is moisturised.

Like Lucky I used to drown my hair in oil and it always felt dry and crispy when I discovered leave in conditioners, sealing and misting my hair that is when my hair became soft and moisturised. I love touching my hair I can’t get enough of it.

NatNat
NatNat

I think this is the mother of all questions for naturals. After washing, detangling and dc’ing how to you know if you leaving, oils and butters are moisturizing your hair? What are the tale-tale signs for each item (Leave in, oil & butter) individually to know if its working for your hair? My hair is always dry and crispy and I cant help to wonder if 1 or 2 out of the 3 items (leave-in, oil or butter) does not work for my 4a‑b hair type. I often read about natures who’s hair can’t stand oil or butters. Maybe I’m one… Read more »

Alessandra
Alessandra

Well now that I know my hair is ALWAYS dry, what do I do. I’ve tried evoo, evco, jojoba, raw shea, shea with oils…my hair only feels soft when its wet and dries fairly quickly leaving me with crunchy, greasy hair!

Crist
Crist
Reply to  Alessandra

ur hair has high porousity like my hair…a protein treatment then DC should do the trick 🙂

Elena Cleek

Awesome article post.Thanks Again. Much obliged.

Kael
Kael

I have very dry hair. Does moisturizer instantly change that or does it take time for my hair to adapt?

Jamila Washington
Jamila Washington

I’ve been a natural for many years and learned some tricks on how to make my hair more manageable: 1. I learned to only comb out natural hair in the shower with conditioner. After washing hair I apply conditioner and let it sit for 5 minutes, then I comb it out starting from the ends and working my way up to the root until I can get the comb completely through my hair. Then I rinse it out. 2. I do not towel dry my hair. While my hair is soaking wet I apply a leave-in conditioner followed by butter (mango… Read more »

paula
paula

Very interesting routine — can I ask what texture your hair is?

Flairelle
Flairelle

I never thought that gel would slick down my hair or edges since i have what most say is 4c hair. Moisutize and seal then gel and tie it down good the night before or if its on a rush day and hour before. Always thought I needed a wax for my hair(so the hairstylists always said) that I had hard hair.
I know better and people always think I am texturized or asking if I am mixed.….
type 2 hair 4 or 5 it works.

Tanya
Tanya

Jamila, odd question, but I think we might know one another. Did your mom used to teach at ORU? If so, she and I used to teach together. I’m Tanya Rogers and I used to teach humanities.

Mary
Mary

Even when my hair is wet it makes a noise when rubbed together… o.O

hyspin
hyspin

Moisturized hair for me will either feel soft and smooth or sometimes actually moist. But dry hair feels almost brittle, and has a slight crunchy sound to it. Hair becoming dry resembles the feel of uncoated paper,almost like a moisture absorbing feeling with a slight very fine graininess to it. This very hard to tell without experience. I find that following conditioning my hair with ACV rinse and coating the damp strands with oil helps with moisture retention but my saving grace during winter has to be castor oil and Shea butter mix on my edges and ends. What I am… Read more »

Diane
Reply to  hyspin

Try Giovanni’s conditioners. I love them…I am a 4b/c and I need lots of help with detangling…their product works like a charm! Lately (just yestetday), I have used Tresseme’s conditioner (on sale at Walgreen’s) to detangle before shampooing (let it sit for about 3–5 minutes first) and only used the Giovanni condition AFTER I did my deep condition (did a AVC & H2O rinse (1/3 & 3/4 cup ratio) and waited about 5 minutes before rinsing then doing the DC). My DC was of 2 eggs, 6 Tbls scoops of a pure Mayo, and 3 big squits of Honey. I… Read more »

Diane
Reply to  Diane

Note: I used Echo Gel the KC Custard and braided it vs two-strand twist to strech my hair more!

cutecap
cutecap

i was always told that oils do not moisturize the hair that only water(not hard water) or water based products do and that oils act as sealents to keep the moisture in the hair strand especially if its porous, i honestly dunno lol after experimenting for a bit ive learned that i do not like butters idk i feel like they weigh my hair down and i hate product build up, but yea im lost on the whole hair crunch sound i cant tell if mine if dry or not lol so hair isnt suposed to make noise at all… Read more »

Cece Danielle
Cece Danielle
Reply to  cutecap

I’m not sure if some of these are true; what about those of us who already have coarse, wiry hair? My hair will never be noiseless, because that’s just the nature of my hair. As long as I mist it with water, apply my leave in and my oil on a regular basis, it will be moisturized.

Aliyah Morrison
Aliyah Morrison
Reply to  Cece Danielle

Lol me 2 i do the same thing lol and it works for me too . I use to put a crap load of products and styling products in my hair because I was told to do that but my hair dried quickly and it made my hair dry n brittle . Now i use a m

Diane
Reply to  cutecap

H2O = Water = the only mositurizer!!! Products that you put on your hair should have WATER as their first or second ingredient. We gotta read EVERYTHING before we make our purchases these days…lots of stuff out there jumping on the latest “Black Natural” thang.…even white distributors!!! Make sure not sulfates, alcohol, mineral oil, or petroleum. Dang…too much to remember!!! It was easier just wearing our Fro’ (aka: Angela Davis Afro wearing wantabees!!!) LOL Didn’t need to wear nuttun’ but some Afro Sheen and a Black Power Afro pick. HeeHee…Oooops! guess I’m tellin’ my age now!

Gwendolyn
Gwendolyn

I moisturize every other day from root to tip with oil and that has kept my strands soft flexible etc, but my roots and scalp always seems dry and makes that crunchy sound. I wash my hair about 2x a month no more than 4x with organic shampoo. I was wondering what can I do the remedy that. Should I switch to or add co-washing in my routine. I have fine hair, medium thickness, my curl pattern is probably a 3b or 3c.

Diane
Reply to  Gwendolyn

Water is the inly moisturizer there is but if u put too much on it every day we can harm our hair by drenching it. Try only misting it between washing it…as iy needs it. Try the LOC method…and use a liter oil for your hair based on the prorosity of it. Lite oils for a strand that does NOT sink to the bottom if a glass of water at all.…use a heavier oil if it does. Normal they say is the best (you can use any type of oil) if your strand slowing sinks to the bottom (I’d allow… Read more »

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  Gwendolyn

WATER is the best and ONLY moisturizer. Oil does nothing but lock it in and add surface shine, it does help make the hair soft and easier to work with but it should not replace plain water when it comes to moisturizing your hair. Oil does not add water to the inside of your hair. Shine does not mean necessarily mean moisture or healthy, certain silicones can and will add shine while drying your hair out eventually. The same way lotion locks in the water on/in your skin after a shower or bath that is what leave in conditioners–which have… Read more »

CurlySusan
CurlySusan

being natural is so much work! sometimes i miss the ease of my perm.

Sabrina
Sabrina
Reply to  CurlySusan

@ CurlySusan With the plethora of information available online and the seemingly endless do’s and don’ts one could easily understand your statement. Here’s what I’m learning and this goes for relaxed or natural: Cleanse (and/or Condition)–> Moisturize–> Protect.…THAT’S IT!!! Keep YOUR routine as simple as possible using what products work for YOU. Cleanse = shampoo/co-wash; different people claim different results. If you feel it’s necessary for your hair to be shampooed then do so. If not, then don’t. I have seen people manage to grow long, beautiful HEALTHY hair on co-washing alone. You could also just alternate between the two methods.… Read more »

Diane
Reply to  Sabrina

Amen, sistah Sabrina!! Amen…to ALL YOU SAID!!! 🙂

I BELIEVE THAT hot oil treatments once or twice per month and Coniditioning (whenever I wash my hair — usually weekly) to detangle before shampooing, then Deep Conditioning (DC) after shampooing, then topping off with a Leave-in conditioner. But I’ve had to do alot of reading (praise the Lord fornthe internet!!!); and trial & error to FINALLY find what works for ME! 🙂

Candice
Candice
Reply to  CurlySusan

Perming is only easy because it’s easy to have damaged hair. Everyone can have it! Permed hair is by definition damaged hair because the protein has been chemically denatured–doesn’t get more damaged than that. Healthy hair, healthy body, healthy teeth, they all take more work. Once my hair became healthy, I found it’s a lot less work to maintain. Detangling, moisturizing, styling, all take less time.

Tia
Tia
Reply to  CurlySusan

I have been natural since 2009 and I completely understand why you say that being natural is a lot of work. While some of the comments make the whole thing sound easy, it really isn’t as easy as what I used to do as a relaxed lady. I’d get a perm once every 6 weeks, flat iron it and didn’t have to cleanse it but maybe once every other week. Moisture wasn’t a problem because I put a little conditioner on it when I washed it, rinsed it out and flat ironed it. That took my another two weeks and… Read more »

Tia
Tia
Reply to  Tia

*sorry about all of the grammatical errors — While my first language, English obviously wasn’t my strongest subject. lol

New2Natural
New2Natural
Reply to  Tia

I agree with you 100%. When I did relax my hair wasn’t damaged nor was it this time consuming and expensive. My only con was the time I spent at the salon. I disagree with the whole division amongst natural women if you choose to relax. It’s a choice that doesn’t make you a lesser woman by any degree. It’s just hair, MY HAIR!

LaVitaa Davis
LaVitaa Davis

I use assie moist conditioner and their 3 minute miracle deep conditioner…its the best for my 3b/4c mixed hair type. You DONT need “black hair” products lol

Vee
Vee

My hair makes noise. It has texture to it, and will always make noise solely based on the fact hat my hair is coily. The coils make noise. Now when I stretch out my hair (when dry) and then run my fingers over my hair, it barely makes a sound or none at all. It FEELS soft to the touch like a very soft cotton and it springs back when I gently tug at it. To me, that’s moisturized hair. Also if my hair is in twists it makes a noise when I run my fingers over the length of… Read more »

Natasha Reid
Natasha Reid
Reply to  Vee

I know people always comment about protective styling but I found that leaving my hair in braids or twists tended to be drying. I never understood how it protected your hair since your ends are exposed. On the other hand, I love wearing my hair loose and I feel like my hair stays moisturized better when I wear my hair loose. Oils, butters, and cowashing never worked for my hair either, so I ended up just using apple cider vinegar and calcium bentonite clay, and it tends to leave my hair moisturized, detangled, and my curls are defined, it’s like… Read more »

Linda
Linda

I have been having a real hard time keeping the ends of my hair moisturized. It feels ruff and I have split ends and knots that I cut off when I see them. I dont know what Im doing wrong. I cowash, deep condition, and do the LOC method now every week. I use the coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter. Im really getting frustrated and almost ready to cut it off and start again. Help!!!

Chocohoney
Chocohoney
Reply to  Linda

Try laying off the coconut oil. Everyone seems to LOVE coconut oil so I thought I’d give it try to. As soon as I started using it, my ends started snapping off and my hair felt so rough. When I stopped using it, my hair returned to normal. Try this first before starting all over. Everybody cant use the same oils.

Yolanda
Yolanda
Reply to  Linda

coconut oil makes my hair hard etc. much better since i have stopped using that as a leave in. I may use it as a conditioner BEFORE i use a shampoo, i never use it after i am finished cleansing.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Yolanda

It may be the coconut oil, or it may be the type of coconut oil you’ve used. This may sound crazy, but my hair acts a fool if I use coconut oil that’s not extra virgin and organic–my scalp gets itchy, my strands are brittle, and more prone to knotting. But if I use extra virgin organic coconut oil? Softness for days. Everybody’s head is different, and your hair just may hate coconut oil (mine really hates olive), but its an idea 🙂

Just Joy
Just Joy
Reply to  Yolanda

Same with me!

dawn
dawn
Reply to  Linda

Linda. You sound just like me a few months ago. Get a trim and start using the best products. Use tresemme naturals to co-wash, mayonnaise to deep condition and Qhemet products to moisturise and seal. I went from steel wool hair to beautifully soft. I wear a twist out, which I don’t need to redo until the next wash in 3 or 4 days because my hair is so soft. I use a silk scarf at night or a silk pillowcase. I have to have the Qhemet delivered to the UK. That’s how good it is. Good luck.x

Charlotte

Well this will probably be stating the obvious but when my hair is dry but looks like it is not, it will look healthy by appearance but I get rampant split ends. I never could figure out when I was younger why I got so many split ends. The only advice I heard was to go and get my hair cut. No one said, hey, if you moisturize your hair regularly, you should not experience as many of those. I believe that the more split prone your hair is, the more you should moisturize, even if your hair, overall, seems… Read more »

Isolina
Isolina

OKAY. this article is soooo helpful. I love it. My hair is moisturized from the Nutress Hair products I use but now I need to find a great oil.

trackback

[…] and hydrated, or do you need to pay extra attention to moisturizing? Read on to learn the top 3 signs of dry hair, and be sure to ask our stylists for their moisturizing recommendations next time you visit […]

Ada
Ada

I really need help.. I have a problem! 🙁 my hair won’t take moisture! It’s been about a month and I’ve tried everything: deep conditioning, co-washing, honey with olive oil… nothing works. With my water based moisturizer on it still feels dry and hard. Even though I use the moisturizer everyday, my hair remains unmoisturized. (I use olive oil after it too). When rubbed together, the strands make a lot of noise, and I know moisturized hair should be noiseless. It’s very frustrating, idk what to do, please help.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Ada

Have you tried the LOC method? It’s the only thing that keeps my hair moisturized. First, choose and apply a liquid moisturizer-it can be plain water, a water-based leave-in, an aloe spritz-whatever you and your hair prefer. I use an aloe spritz: 1 part glycerin to 1 part whole leaf aloe gel to 3 parts water, and a few drops of essential oil. Next, pick and apply an oil, any oil. I like to mix black castor oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, and an essential oil. Finally, pick a cream: it can be a leave in,… Read more »

SilverFoxx
SilverFoxx
Reply to  Ada

If it has been going on for a month, check your products. Have you added new products lately? Also check products for protein — too much protein can cause the hair to dry. How is the water where you live? Hard water will cause build-up that is drying.

Annette
Annette
Reply to  Ada

Going through the same dilemma and I am about to give up.

trackback

[…] How to Tell if your Hair is Moisturized […]

naturalhair16
naturalhair16

I think the whole notion of “Moisturized hair is almost noiseless” is extremely misleading. I was on this page several weeks ago, and once I read that sentence I went on a mad hunt for products/home remedies for moisturizing my hair because mine makes a noise. I wasted a lot of time thinking it wasn’t properly moisturized b/c of that, when it was fine.

please show me a natural with moisturized hair whose strands don’t make noise when rubbed together. SMH x 1,000,000.

thatgirlthere
thatgirlthere

I’ma have to disagree with some of these things on the list.

- When my hair is moisturized it DOES feel moist. I love that feeling actually. It’s like , “ahhhhhhhhhh!” One, I know that I have found a product that works. And two, I have used that product in just the right amounts to achieve perfect moisture. My hair feels…. cool to the touch, damp, almost as if it had been lightly misted. It feels soft and clumps together easily. All of this combined = the perfect twist out!

sirrena
sirrena

I loved this article and I am in need of help. My hair is a mixture of 3s and 4s very wavy and curly. I have managed to get it just past my shoulders but cannot seem to go any further. What am I doing wrong? My regimen for a long time was wash, condition, then moisturize but lately I have been doing the lock method which is when I was my hair is wet, then condition, then a little conditioner, then a moisturizer, then finally an oil to seal everything in and to complete it air drying time. Can… Read more »

Connie
Connie
Reply to  sirrena

Sirrena, I just saw your post. Try the LOC method this way and see what happens. Make this your starting point and tweek your regimen if needed. Shampoo and condition = make sure there are not proteins in the product otherwise your hair will dry out. Use moisturizing products without the proteins. Use proteins when needed or if you color your hair use once or twice per month. Leave-in conditioner = you don’t have to use this, plain water will be fine. If you can purchase a shower filter. Hard water is not good for the hair. Apply an oil or combination = organic if you can… Read more »

ladylanita
ladylanita
Reply to  Connie

Great tops Connie! The L.O.C. method saved my hair and coconut oil does not agree with me along with products that have too much protein. When your hair is healthy, not colored, not chemically treated, too much protein can lead to dry, brittle hair that breaks. I didn’t realize it but even my ecostyler argan oil has protein in it. But because the dosage must be small relative to the other moisturizing products I use with no protein, I don’t have an issue. But when I do, I’ll switch up my gels. I use sweet almond oil as a sealant… Read more »

ladylanita
ladylanita
Reply to  ladylanita

tops should be tips 🙂

Jasmine
Jasmine

So is there a difference between “oiled ” hair and moisturized hair?

Connie
Connie
Reply to  Jasmine

Yes, Jasmine there is a difference btw “oiled” hair and “moisturized” hair. Applying oil to dry hair is coating this hair, not moisturizing it. Putting oil on damp or WET hair without using anything else probably won’t do much for the hair. If you have hair like mine, kinky, curly your hair will shrink and dry out very fast. Applying oil to damp or WET hair, following up with a leave-in or just plain water, then applying a creamy product (water and oil based product) or a butter is moisturizing the hair. This is the LOC method. After you apply… Read more »

Karis Cooper
Karis Cooper
Reply to  Connie

Interesting, I always put my oil on AFTER leave-in and/or butter as I read that the oil acts as a sealant — and that doing it the other way around basically stops the leave-in/moisturisers from penetrating the hair!

Sarah Garmany
Sarah Garmany
Reply to  Karis Cooper

I believe that’s what Connie just said. She said you put on the oil (sealant) after your hair is wet. Then you moisturize and seal again. Basically locking in the moisture twice. Not sure if 2 times is necessary, but maybe that is why is called then lock method. But she never said put the oil on first…

Karis Cooper
Karis Cooper
Reply to  Sarah Garmany

Connie said “Applying oil to damp or WET hair, following up with …”, which seems fairly clear that the oil is going on first. Unless you’re counting water as a first step? Either way I’ve been taught to use oil as an absolute last step.

ladylanita
ladylanita

The series of articles on BGLH related to this topic seem to have an agenda of provoking arguments rather than serious debates, so I am going to opt out of discussing this further. I think the tone of the articles generated the backlash that they did. Had someone wrote a piece that was less about provocation and taken more seriously, then most likely the boards would not have gotten heated. But at least, if you want activity on your site, they got what they wanted. I will continue to visit and enjoy the wealth of information geared towards my hair… Read more »

Joshlyn
Joshlyn

My hair has a range of different textures with more 3b at toward the nape of my hair, 4c on the sides, 4a/b in the front and the crown is the killer, I don’t know what texture that is. I find I have to put extra conditioner, etc, there when applying products. My hair is constantly dry and I don’t know what to do to keep it moisturized. I’ve tried the loc method and pretty much stick to that. I still have to take a spray bottle in my purse to wet it down during the days i’m at work.… Read more »

trackback

[…] Black Girl Long Hair 2 […]

Cc
Cc

One of my telltale signs is clumping and smoothness with no frizz. I have a mix of 3c/4a

Chanai
Chanai

Actually, this is pretty wrong. The author probably has type three hair. Moisturized hair is soft, and not wet I can agree, but type four hair inherently “crackles” when rubbed together because it’s high textured. That’s simply how it is. (My guess would be perhaps due to many of those with type 4 hair only have 2 layers, unlike those with type 3 hair and up but that’s merely a theory). Even when moisturized and supple, when rubbed together, it still crackles. Unless you are talking about two INDIVIDUAL strands together and not two sections.