Retaining Length Without Protective Styling — Elle’s Natural Hair Regimen

Avatar • Sep 7, 2011

A few days ago Cipriana shared her tips for retaining length, which included protective styling. In response some of you requested a regimen that didn’t involve protective styling. One of my favorite natural hair bloggers, Elle of Quest for the Perfect Curl has such a regimen. Check it out:

Here’s my current regimen, I try to keep it fairly simple.

- Wash hair with shampoo 1x a week in 6 sections (pinned up with clips)

- Condition or use a cleansing conditioner + condition when I am redoing my wash n go (6 sections again), depending on how my hair feels and if I feel the product has left some build up (usually every 2–3 days, could be daily if I don’t like my second day hair or am playing with products)

- DC 1x (Steam, overnight DC, dry DC – varies)

- Daily Style – Wash n Go, bun, or ponytail (Currently, I’ve been doing about 8 sections in order to ensure the product is applied thoroughly and gets on my roots to minimize tangles)

- Sleeping! – Currently I’ve been sticking to my Sue Maesta hood, but I’m thinking of getting a DreadSock when my hair gets longer. When my hair is in a bun or ponytail, I smooth my hair down with my satin scarf. And I ALWAYS sleep with my satin pillowcase!

- Moisturize/fluff out daily using a water based moisturizer (Faves: Oyin Hair Dew, Donna Marie Super Buttercreme) or oil (Carol’s Daughter Hair Balm or Elixir, HerbnLife Butterfly Gold) when refreshing a wash n go.

- Sealing – I only seal when I am using a product that contains glycerin in less than optimal dews (Faves: Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade, Oyin Hair Dew, HerbnLife Coconut Hemp)

- Trimming – I do not trim my ends, frankly, because I haven’t felt as if I’ve needed to. I keep my SSKs to a minimum by moisturizing like crazy. However, I do search and destroys for the rare split and SSKs when I see them. I did a small trim last time I straightened my hair (half an inch or an inch?), and may do another next time (but that most likely will not be for another six months or so).

- Heat – Diffuse as needed when my hair is soaking wet and I have things to do! Otherwise, I air dry.

Sounds really simple! What are your thoughts ladies? Do any of you retain length without protective styling? Share your tips below!

You can find Elle at Quest for the Perfect Curl. Be sure to check her out!

vonnie

such amazing hair, i’ve always loved it! good tips, seems so simple.

Vonnie of Socialitedreams.com

Fabre
Fabre

Whether you can pull off this kind of regimen depends on your hair type. It also depends on your length goals. Yes certain hair types can attain long lengths without the PS styles but as Cipriana showed some of us rely on them for retention. I intend to do more elegant updos and creative PS when I reach a length where this is possible because I like the way they look. 24/7 loose hair in wng seems to be a look that those with curls looser than 4a rock while 4as are able to wear their hair in out styles… Read more »

Vick
Vick

This was my first thought reading this. I love her hair, but I know her reggie would kill my strands.

Carla
Carla
Reply to  Vick

Been there, done that and constant wash-n-gos killed my hair. Its a nice idea and great time saving style, but its not a regular thing for me.

Meisha
Meisha
Reply to  Carla

I’m 4a and wear wash & gos 90% of the time with no issues. I don’t have a hard time detangling, I don’t have trouble with knots, and my retention is good. I think it all depends on finding products and methods that work for you. Since there is no one size fits all when it comes to natural hair, there won’t be just one thing that works for everyone. Protective styling doesn’t always work for everyone either. I would hate for anyone to feel discouraged about trying wash & gos because they have a tighter curl pattern. Your hair… Read more »

Carla
Carla
Reply to  Meisha

My hair is 4a/3c but its medium to fine strands, very porous and dense. It does break easily if I’m not careful. I go through conditioner like water and one careless detangling session would end up with a trash can full of hair. My retention is horrible, LOL!

sarah
Reply to  Fabre

actually, i would argue that strand size plays a MUCH bigger role that people wish to believe. naturals that i see having a hellacious time with wash and goes tend have finer hair, and those of us that thrive on it have medium-coarse strands. my hair is mostly 4a and i immediately clicked with Elle because our strand thickness and porosity were similar and we both swore by wash and goes. be that as it may, another popular blogger, Cassidy of Natural Selection blog, has very fine, extremely thick 4a hair and she also swears by wash and goes, and really… Read more »

Porsche
Porsche
Reply to  sarah

Thank you! I’m so tired of naturals always saying “you can’t do this or that if you’re a category 4.” It’s so annoying.

Tene
Tene
Reply to  Porsche

I agree with this, my hair is fine textured and I do constant wash n goes and I get so many ssks from it. I see other women with thicker hair that have no problem at all. So I do believe strand thicknes has alot to do with it.

June
June
Reply to  sarah

I have type 4 kinky hair and I do well with a regular wash and go regime because of my medium-coarse strand size (the protein in almost everything is trying to kill me, but that is a story for another day!). I believe Elle considers herself a type 4 as well.

Elle
Reply to  June

I do not use Andre Walker’s hair system because I think it’s utter BS and people assume that a certain “type” must do certain things or have certain attributes, which isn’t true because ultimately, everyone’s hair is different. I have a combo of fractal and corkscrew curls (Curly Girl Handbook).

June
June
Reply to  Elle

I am sorry, I didn’t mean to speak for you. I have watched all your videos and earlier on you had mentioned you were a type 4. I don’t put much in his system as well because I haven’t found it useful in helping me better manage my hair. Knowing my texture and porosity was more helpful.

I apologize again. I now see how my comment must read. I am a huge fan (I hope you are not uncomfortable with that word) and I have watched all your videos.

Elle
Reply to  June

Oh June it’s okay! I hope I didn’t sound snippy. When I was newly natural I tried to type my hair b/c I thought it was important, but I soon realized that it wasn’t helpful to me at all. Also, people would always have differing opinions regarding my type — it just became too confusing so I threw it all out the window, lol!

Dove
Dove
Reply to  June

I don’t like Andre Walker’s system because it gives the mos kinkiest hair the lowest number and letter. Why not rank it 1a then as it gets straighter give that a 4 b.

betty
betty
Reply to  Dove

Word.

V
V
Reply to  Elle

Obviously every ones hair is different. As a new natural, I found the system very helpful and always kept in mind there are exceptions to the rule and what works for hundreds of 4as may not work for me and vice versa.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  sarah

Say it again: EVERY HEAD OF HAIR IS DIFFERENT. I feel like I’m the president of the cynthiarf fan club on this site, lol. Using a variation* on her method, I was able to wear WNGs for much longer than I’d ever been able to before AND retained a lot of length…and I have mostly 4b** hair with fine strands. If I could do it, I’m pretty sure type 4s with thicker strands could do it. Yes, I did get SSKs but you know what? Having longer super-coily hair all but guarantees SSKs if it’s not kept stretched or straightened. Ironically… Read more »

Nia
Nia
Reply to  LBell

I also draw inspiration from Cynthiarf! She keeps it simple!

Giovanna
Giovanna
Reply to  sarah

OMG I found my hair twin. Thank you so much for mentioning her Sarah even though I’m really late lol

Monz03b
Monz03b

I LOVE HER HAIR!! It’s Beautiful!!

Shakira
Shakira

While I haven’t had a relaxer in my hair in about 5 plus years, I’ve only started to wear my hair out and in it’s natural curly state for the past 2 months I need all the help I can get. Unfortunately because wearing a ponytail and bun for so long I’ve had some breakage in the middle, but the back of my hair is quite long. I get it trimmed so there shouldn’t be many split ends, but I feel that maybei should cut it so it’s even. Also how do I stop it from breaking again?

Kesha
Kesha
Reply to  Shakira

Hi Shakira, I five months in to wearing my hair out in its natural state without heat styling. I have about 6 inches of hair. From the tips I have learned from all of the natural hair ladies on this site and Youtube, etc., the universal theme is to be gentle with your hair. My hair has grown about an 1 1/2 inches in 5 months. It is amazing but I can tell the difference between the new growth and the hair that had been heat trained. I have had my hair trimmed twice during this time period because I… Read more »

Shakira
Shakira
Reply to  Kesha

Thank you Kesha for taking time out to respond to me. I love this site my only gripe is I’m such a newbee in the works of natural hair that I have no idea what all the abbreviations mean. Lol

Auset

When my hair was shorter, I rocked the h‑e-double hockey stick out of some wash-n-go’s. But when my hair started to tangle like no one’s business, I had to reassess. One thing I noticed was that my strands are very fine and break easily. Dryness was also an issue. Two things that helped me included doing oil rinses twice a week. Also, using cream based moisturizers more often (I used to just seal with a water based moisturizer and oil) helped. When I started using the Chicoro method of three step moisture (water/aloe based, oil based, and cream based), my… Read more »

Lyn
Lyn
Reply to  Auset

Will definitely looks up, and try the Chicoro method! 😀 I usually wear wash-n-go’s, but am currently only doing PS (I hope that’s the abbreviation for “protective styling”), which include box braids 80% of the time. But I love wash-n-go’s, so I will look into this method. Especially because I use glycerin based products, and have noticed my hair looked and seemed a little dry after it dried without heat.

Charlene
Charlene
Reply to  Auset

I get really bad tangles as well. Currently, I only moisturize then seal with oil/ oil + shea butter. Could you explain more about your oil rinses , also which cream based moisturizers do you prefer?

Tami

Thanks for the Dreadsock recommendation. I use the Sue Maesta hood as well and have noticed my hair is peeking out of the top!

Evelyn

Elle is one of my favorite vloggers. I love her hair! I do not wear protective styles and my hair is doing fine. I have cut my hair a few times since cutting off my locks in 2009. If I can stay away from the shears, I’d be fine. 🙂 I usually rock twist-outs and wash-n-gos. I don’t have a problem with my hair tangling or being dry. I try to moisturize at least once a day. I may wear a wash-n-go for the first day or 2 of washing, but at night, I put my hair in 8–10 twists and wear it… Read more »

Camille
Reply to  Evelyn

So, this is the question: are twist outs protective or not? Some people say that as long as the hair is stretched, then you are helping to prevent a lot of tangling. Others think the hair needs to be totally tucked. There has to be a middle ground… I wear a lot of protectivve styles on my hair (which is about 8″ all around) and I almost always hate how I look, but I think it helps to basically give my hair (and hands!) a break. I dunno..I think unless you have a problem, your hair is growing and long… Read more »

surVIVEr28
surVIVEr28
Reply to  Camille

Camille,
You are a genius, girl. Thank you. One sentence just helped me. I always get tangles, but I am gonna try stretching my hair first and see how that works for me! You da bomb, girl! LOL!

Kesha
Kesha
Reply to  Evelyn

Hi Evelyn, I have been doing the same thing. Transitioning from a wash-n-go to a twist out after a day or two. I think that my hair is not as moisturized when I do this and my first twist out at day three is a little more frizzy and shrunken than I’d like, but I do like this styling combo as a way to extend the time between washing and dc’ing. I was co-washing once a week in the beginning, but now I think I may have figured out how to style my hair so that I don’t have to… Read more »

Lyn
Lyn

I love this site, and all of its advice! I’m more of a looser curl pattern, than 4b; I’ll say 3c/4a. And wash-n-go’s work perfectly fine for me! It’s just that, my hair is not at the length as Elle’s while shrunken. I have about 4–5″ to catch up to her. This is why I follow Cipriana’s method, of keeping my hair in protective styling; to help with SSK’s (which have been eliminated tremendously since I keep my hair in box braids). Once I reach a goal where I can put my hair in a pineapple or ponytail, I’d love… Read more »

Aiden
Aiden

We should have a discussion about what protective styling really is. Is it different from low manipulation styling? Or are they the same?

1Nikki
1Nikki
Reply to  Aiden

Protective styling is when you don’t wear your hair loose so your ends aren’t flying everywhere. Braids, twists, bantu knots etc. are examples. Even Cipriana from a few posts ago wears her hair in protective styles even though her updos look like her hair is loose because I think she pins her ends down.

Fabre
Fabre
Reply to  Aiden

It’s been discussed in many ways. This blog could use a search function. There was a discussion as to whether twists were protective since they hang down and your ends are somewhat exposed. As with any discussion everyone has a different view on protective styles. My honest view is this: Any style that hides your ends is protective. It’s no accident that many report great retention from daily bunning. Others will say twists, braids etc are protective but something like kinky extension twists where the real hair is ‘hidden’ seems less protective than a twist out in the sense that out… Read more »

Maryse
Maryse
Reply to  Fabre

There is a search function — look carefully along the upper right hand side of your screen. It could certainly be more prominent though.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Aiden

The first person I ever heard mention protective styling was Wanakee Pugh (Google her). This was years ago. By her definition, a protective style was any style that protected the ends from exposure to the elements. The bun is probably the best example of such a style. Over time, the definition evolved to mean any style that allows the ends (mainly) to stay untouched and unmanipulated for a period. Twist and braid styles that can be left in for days/weeks qualify in this respect. Low-manipulation styling simply means that you’re spending as little time in your hair as possible. That can… Read more »

1Nikki
1Nikki

Her hair looks really healthy, I get ssk’s so easily, so I definitely want to try moisturizing my hair more. I haven’t done a deep conditioning treatment in awhile, and I think my hair’s suffering because of it. I also need to get myself a satin pillowcase, asap!

But can anyone recommend a good moisturizing deep conditioner? It doesn’t have to be natural or silicone free, I just want something that really softens my hair and makes it feel hydrated.

Angela
Angela
Reply to  1Nikki

I swear by Karen’s Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask. It’s the best I’ve used so far. 🙂

karlyne
karlyne
Reply to  Angela

Silicone Mix is my staple

Elle
Reply to  1Nikki

Try mixing half honey and half olive oil. It’s still my fave DC. Buttah hair!

kisha
kisha
Reply to  1Nikki

neutrogena triple moisture deep recovery mask is great plz try it LOL i am begging u to try it and tell me what u think

Asea
Asea

I’ve hit a rough patch in my journey (2 1/2 years post big chop, no transition). UGH! 🙁 I used to wear my hair out all the time and my hair was thriving. As it got longer I got excited because I could do updos, then I started blow drying a couple times a month, then I tried henna, then I started doing braid outs… and it’s all bad. I’ve had to trim about 1/4 inch AGAIN because I hate thin ends; I have tons of split ends and knots and breakage galore. I finally figured out than maintaining moisture… Read more »

df
df
Reply to  Asea

maybe it’s the blow drying…you can never protect your hair from heat completely.

Asea
Asea
Reply to  df

Yea I gave it up. And in addition to the the heat (I used low setting) it was using the comb attachment. My hair doesn’t like to be pulled at all I’ve learned lol.

karlyne
karlyne

I do low manipulation 1- I don’t like going long bats without touching my own hair that is natural and that was when I was relaxed 2- I am tender headed 3- I am a grown woman and a zillion tiny braids makes me feel like a little girl 4- I thought the entire idea was to keep little to know manipulation to the ends of your hair. That means: tucking, pinning, bunning From 1.5″ 26 months later, this is good enough for me. The hair grows regardless its about maintenance and upkeep.. I think some go over board with… Read more »

Tiga
Tiga

Isn’t a bun or a ponytail a protective style????

Elle
Reply to  Tiga

Yes (well bun not ponytail imo), but I rarely do those. I wear my hair out probably 95% of the time. Just wanted to clarify. 🙂

Todra

I was doing protective styling for several years and my hair was growing. My BF starting begging me to wear it out because he likes it big. Well, it has broken off so badly. I am trying to recoup now.

napfrocurlzgirl

Thanks for the tip on the Dreadsoc. I’ve outgrown my Sue Maesta headband. I will truly miss her!

Tanya
Tanya

Interesting. I wore wash and go’s for 5–5 1/2 years and after a certain point(about APL), length retention stopped. I began protective styling, and began retaining length again. I’m now at 6 1/2 years, and at about an inch past the bottom of my bra strap. I have mostly 4b hair with a few sections of 4a. My strands are fine. I would that I maintained about 2–3 1/2 years length of hair during those first 5 1/2 years. It’s shown consistent retention since I began protective styling about a year ago.

Ce Ce
Ce Ce

Thanks for sharing your routine with us, Elle! I began wearing my natural hair out when I first did my big chop in 2008 and it was an afro. I noticed that it wouldn’t grow for several reasons–the biggest reason was dryness and nutrition. I changed my diet, began exercising, and taking a women’s vitamin supplement. Also, I started using better products (Shea Moisture) and protective styling (mostly twists and head wraps). Now I am able to wear my hair in buns and pinned under ponys throughout the week. I wear my hair out on Sunday for church.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Image0.jpg[/img]

Michelle Hubbard
Michelle Hubbard

Thank you for this, it is very helpful. I am not into wearing protective styles, I like “simple” hair . Your hair is beautiful.

Carla
Carla

I was never able to retain length past my lower shoulder without protective styling. My hair could easily stay the same length forever. I started wearing buns 5–6 days a week in early spring, now my hair is almost bra strap length.

I would LOVE to not be able to do protective styles, but my hair just doesn’t go anywhere wearing it out all the time.

Not all things for all people I suppose.

Mazeratie

I still love my wash n gos 🙂

I agree — each head is different but for me the key has really been moisture and protein balance. However, now that my hair is longer, I do find myself throwing it up in a loose puff or sloppy bun sometimes just to keep it out of the way. Best part is that when I take it down, I just need a few spritzes from my aloe/glycerine/rosewater mix and my curls pop back up. It’s great for the gym especially.

Kg.sunshine
Kg.sunshine

Hey Ladies!

Any ideas on how she achieved the hair style in her first pic b/c I LOVE it!

Thanks!

Elle
Reply to  Kg.sunshine

@kg do you mean the big pic up top? If so, that’s a wash and go — I have my tutorial on my blog/YouTube. If you mean the first pic in the series, that’s a dry bantu knot out. hth!

Kg.sunshine
Kg.sunshine
Reply to  Elle

Yeah, Elle, I’m talking about the top pic. I’ll def check out your youtube blog. I think I’m already subscribed. Are you naturalchickdotcom?

Kg.sunshine
Kg.sunshine

Hey Ladies!

Any ideas on how she achieved the hair style in her first pic b/c I LOVE it!

Thanks!

Ashley
Ashley

I’ve been natural for about 5 years or so and from that time until about March 2011 (when I cut my hair), I was able to grow and maintain thick mid-back length hair. I did it without any kind of protective styling. And if I did protective style, it was unintentional (i.e., a bun on a bad hair). I have 3b/3c hair and on average, I wore wash n’ go’s about 2 weeks out of every month, and flat ironed hair the other two weeks. I say all that to say, it is possible to retain length without protective styles. You… Read more »

inspira
inspira
Reply to  Ashley

wat products do u use tho? i also have mostly 3b/c and love me some washngo action but am experiencing so much tangling and knotting after a few days.
wat do u do for your ends?
tia

mangomadness
mangomadness

I have collarbone length super coily hair and I retain length well regardless of style. All I do is keep my scalp clean and my hair moisturized as well as stretched. I usually wear braid outs but I do buns/updos on ocassion.

If you’re gentle with your hair (washing, detangling, moisturizing and styling), the length will come with time and paitence.

meme
meme

Oh.…. I recognize her from naturally curly. She’s very rude and condescending to people in the 4a forums. oink!!!!!

Cat
Cat
Reply to  meme

I couldn’t agree more.

shane
shane
Reply to  Cat

You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig. I don’t like her she is very very very rude.

mimi
mimi
Reply to  shane

O.O wow. saying someone is rude then getting down on their level as well to state that point.

BigShowerCap.com

I need to try sectioning my hair before washing. But, I co-wash, still I do not have alot of breakage, but I also seem to have sooooooo growth. Thanks for the tips.

Jaeda Barbie

Since I became a a frequent henna head, I dont have any breakage or shedding. My hair grow and inch and half without me doing any protective styling. In fact protective styling, like braids and wigs irritate my edges. My hair craves water and as long as I deep condition and give her water shes good

FrizzyBobbedCutie
FrizzyBobbedCutie

Well since you asked, ”what are your thoughts ladies?” I will go ahead and share mine. Firstly, I thought this would be tips on how to retain length without protective styling NOT about one person’s specific routine. Secondly, I seriously hate protective styles, other than braid/twist extensions. Protective styles do NOTHING for my hair. I wore them all through high school (when my hair was permed and then natural) and no matter what kind of scrunchie i used, just helped with the breakeage process and moisturizing didnt help, protective styles are the devil for my hair lol I hate them, and… Read more »

tikibuttons
tikibuttons

why are ppl so pressed to disagree w/ the girl’s regimen? no one is forcing you to follow it. no one said you should never do protective styles. if you feel protecting styling is what helps you retain length, keep doing that, if you want to try a regimen that doesn’t involve protective styling, try it. what’s the pint of hopping up in the comments to rant about how everyone’s hair is different and her regimen wouldn’t work for you?

napfrocurlzgirl

OMG, our regimen is almost identical! I’ve been doing it for almost three years and started with snaggly hair around my ears. The pic is where I’m at now. The first photo is me now and the second one is me three years ago this July.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/oldsmallme.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/summer2012hair0041.jpg[/img]

Elle

Your hair looks nice and thick!

Jillian
Jillian

Hair texture does not matter when deciding whether to do PS or not, hair density and porosity is the main factors.…I’m not sure why people always refer to texture and curl pattern when expressing hair woes, you can have the same curl pattern as the next person but their hair can be coarse and high porosity and yours fine with low porosity so that means the way you care for your hair and retain length will be totally different. I don’t protective style at all and most definitely retain length.….some people feel the need to put their hair away.….I like… Read more »

Elle
Reply to  Jillian

I agree with you that density and porosity play a large role, but I do think that texture is important too, because finer hair is often more fragile and easier to break than coarse hair. I have some fine hairs by my edges and I have to be more gentle with them when I detangle. Curl pattern also is a factor because it is more difficult for sebum to travel down the hair strand the kinkier the hair is, so the hair tends to be drier/less pliable (however, this is easily alleviated using conditioners so I don’t think it’s a… Read more »

Elle

Good day! Just wanted to pop in real quick and let you all know that my regimen has changed a little since my hair has grown — it’s now past my shoulders when curly, so I started sealing more. If you’d like, you can check out the updates at http://questfortheperfectcurl.com/current-regimen/. I also wrote an article a couple of weeks ago on retaining length without protective styling, which can be found at http://questfortheperfectcurl.com/2012/05/13/question-of-the-day-tips-for-retaining-length-without-protective-styling/.

Zelda
Zelda

This article can mislead naturals that don’t know their hair type. This regimen is great for Elle, but for the majority of naturals it does not work. There is no such thing as retaining length without protective styling unless you are a 3c and under(with thick strands).Some 4a’s can do it according to their strand thickness, but not all. I’m a 4a and the above regimen is the reason why I had to cut off inches of split hair/fairy knots & edit my entire regimen.My strands are not fragile or weak, but they are on the finer side. Although I… Read more »

Rciyah
Rciyah

This has been my regimen since i done my big chop Jan 6th 2012! I however was going to stick to strictly protective styles the rest of this summer. I have been on and off with it as i love how my hair is coming along 🙂 So i now earn that D C on a regular, seal your ends and wash weekly is key to growing hair maybe?? I don’t know, but i do know low manipulation is key and thus far, my hair has not been breaking since leaving it out on a regular‑5 months into my journey,… Read more »

Gayle Allen
Gayle Allen

I know this is a old post … but I use to wear two-strand-twist after growing out my first BC and my hair grew nicely. But my hair is fine even though it doesn’t look like it when worn out. The twist use to take me 2 1/2 hours and by the end of the week the hair crawled out and was bushy and I didn’t care for the look. After my second grow-out from my 2nd BC I have fount that twist-outs after a few days become dry;tried different refreshing spritzes/oils; creams (Shea-Moisture-Milk) itched me like crazy!!. Also by… Read more »

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  Gayle Allen

Hi Gayle, everyone’s hair is differen’t but what is true regardless or texture/pattern/ethnicity is that WATER is the best moisturizer. Butters, creams, oils only lock in the water you have given your hair. There are some creams that you will notice have water/aqua as their first ingredient so that’s a good start, but loading up on butters and oils is not going to add moisture to your hair, and soft and shine does not always mean moisture. If anything you will end up with loads of build up and suffocate your scalp by giving it tons of butter and oil… Read more »

trackback

[…] featured quite a few women who don’t need protective styling to retain length (check out Elle, Geri and […]

JojoB
JojoB

I’ve been growing my hair from a complete shave down in 2012, and I learned that my hair needs to be wet often (everyday to every 2–3 days). In this last year I’ve learned I don’t need gel for a wash n go, but it’s letting my hair clump on its own that keeps most of it on my head. Trying to define it any other way — finger coils/raking/shingling etc is a waste. If I brave an afro/blow out, I am rewarded with tangles and dryness that will take days to recover from. And when I go to sleep, I… Read more »

Nicole
Nicole

She doesn’t vlog as much it seems. I really enjoyed her videos and she has some gorgeous hair!!!