A few days ago Cipriana shared her tips for retaining length, which included protective styling. In response some of you requested a regimen that didn’t involve protective styling. One of my favorite natural hair bloggers, Elle of Quest for the Perfect Curl has such a regimen. Check it out:
Here’s my current regimen, I try to keep it fairly simple.
- Wash hair with shampoo 1x a week in 6 sections (pinned up with clips)
- Condition or use a cleansing conditioner + condition when I am redoing my wash n go (6 sections again), depending on how my hair feels and if I feel the product has left some build up (usually every 2–3 days, could be daily if I don’t like my second day hair or am playing with products)
- DC 1x (Steam, overnight DC, dry DC – varies)
- Daily Style – Wash n Go, bun, or ponytail (Currently, I’ve been doing about 8 sections in order to ensure the product is applied thoroughly and gets on my roots to minimize tangles)
- Sleeping! – Currently I’ve been sticking to my Sue Maesta hood, but I’m thinking of getting a DreadSock when my hair gets longer. When my hair is in a bun or ponytail, I smooth my hair down with my satin scarf. And I ALWAYS sleep with my satin pillowcase!
- Moisturize/fluff out daily using a water based moisturizer (Faves: Oyin Hair Dew, Donna Marie Super Buttercreme) or oil (Carol’s Daughter Hair Balm or Elixir, HerbnLife Butterfly Gold) when refreshing a wash n go.
- Trimming – I do not trim my ends, frankly, because I haven’t felt as if I’ve needed to. I keep my SSKs to a minimum by moisturizing like crazy. However, I do search and destroys for the rare split and SSKs when I see them. I did a small trim last time I straightened my hair (half an inch or an inch?), and may do another next time (but that most likely will not be for another six months or so).
- Heat – Diffuse as needed when my hair is soaking wet and I have things to do! Otherwise, I air dry.
Sounds really simple! What are your thoughts ladies? Do any of you retain length without protective styling? Share your tips below!
You can find Elle at Quest for the Perfect Curl. Be sure to check her out!