Monica // Natural Hair Style Icon

• Sep 2, 2011

Natural Hair, Natural Hair Photos, Natural Hair Styles

Where do you live?
M:
I am from a small place called Athens, TN but I am currently living in Chattanooga, TN. I am a college student studying Sociology! One day I hope to be a family & marriage counselor.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
M:
I wanted my hair to grow as long as it could without harsh chemicals. However, growth is really not my biggest concern, I would much rather my hair be healthy instead of being long.

I transitioned in August ’08. I am three years natural, woot woot! I had no idea about the big chop so I just wore sew-ins for a straight year. My hair GREW so long. I was impressed and I never thought about getting a relaxer again.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
M:
Back in ’08, I would have never worn my hair out big and puffy but I really like it. I think it is absolutely gorgeous! I would usually just have a friend straighten it for me every two weeks. Earlier this year, I started searching natural hair online and discovered BGLH & CurlyNikki’s website and I saw all of the pictures of beautiful naturals rocking their hair! I was amazed at how nice our hair textures really are. I decided to rock my hair in a big afro or wash and goes! I’ve learned to accept my hair and rock it with confidence. Some days it may be a big frizz ball or not cooperating with me but I accept it and move on. I feel so free wearing my natural hair. There are so many hairstyles to wear. I have to admit, I have a big problem with playing with my hair!

How would you describe your hair?
M:
I was told my hair texture was 4a. I would say it’s a happy medium. It isn’t too thick or too thin. Although, I would LOVE super thick hair (I think) LOL. The crown is thicker and a little frizzier than the rest of my hair. I love the curls! My hair does whatever it wants to so I don’t put up too much of a fight. I can usually wet it and be on my way when I don’t feel like doing much to it.

What is a brief description of your regimen?
M:
Even though I have been natural for three years, I did not know much about products that would work best for my hair. I started experimenting with different hair products. I am now a product junkie. Somebody help! HAHA. I’m trying to get into a nice routine that is beneficial, such as co-washing every two weeks (I use Darcy’s Botanicals cleansing conditioner) and I deep condition with castor oil and a deep conditioning cream from Bear Fruit Hair. I use Naturalista Cosmetics Juicy Leave in & Phd detangling spray or I will use JustNatural’s leave in conditioner. I have been experimenting with SheaMoisture’s products as well. They had a buy one, get 50% off sale at Walgreens and I went ham! I’m planning on trying their products when I take my sew-in out. The only products I’ve used from their line was the curl enhancing smoothie which I like and the shine and mist spray. The spray doesn’t make my hair shine though 🙁

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
M:
Not moisturizing my hair enough because I was afraid it would have a greasy, icky feel, straightening it so often, not deep conditioning, and always wearing it in pony tails. My hair would always break off from having it in a pony tail so much. I abused my hair so much because I didn’t know how to care for it properly.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
M:
Keeping it moisturized for sure. I try to keep it moisturized as much as I can, especially my ends. I like to keep my hair covered up at night so my pillow will not suck the moisture from my strands. I try to show my hair TLC!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
M:
I can be found on Facebook.

Anything else you want to add?
M:
Don’t be afraid to be who you are!

Janique
Janique

Beautiful hair! I don’t really understand the whole hair typing thing completely but I would think you would be a 3C or maybe a 3C/4A mix?

Calara
Reply to  Janique

I agree.…and gorgeous hair!

Monz03b

Thank you lovely ladies!! Someone else mentioned that they thought I was a 3c but I had no idea. So Maybe I am a 3c/4a mixture! Thank you for the compliments!!

Rashida
Rashida

S/O to a fellow Chattanoogan! Hey girl! Beautiful hair!

Thank you Rashida!

Chéri
Chéri

Gorgeous! Hair!

APRIL

Beautiful hair!

Monz03b

Thank you so much April & Cheri!

yoli

lovely!

Monz03b

Thank you Yoli! I really am having fun with natural hair!

Nicole

Congrats! Fabulous hair! You are a very, pretty girl!

Angela
Angela

You are one lovely girl! Fabulous hair!

Monz03b

You guys are too darn sweet Nicole & Angela!! Thanks for showing love!

Annie L.
Annie L.

Ummm…you and all your hair styles are fabulous! Love the specs too, do you mind revealing the brand/model?

NeNatural
NeNatural

If your hair sustained any damage, your really can’t tell. Keep up the good work your hair is B E A UTIFAL!

BrwnSugar88
BrwnSugar88

Great hair! Keep up the good work! Also, I live in Cleveland, TN (about 30 min from Athens, TN), but work for Olin in Charleston, TN. It’s great to know that there are other naturals nearby.

Sophie
Sophie

How did you achieve & maintain the straight style in the picture, and what heat protectants did you use?

Monz03b

, I got those glasses for $5.00 at Forever21.
BrwnSugar88-we are really close!
Sophie-My friend straightened it for me after she clipped my ends and I would wrap it up before I went to bed. To be honest, I didn’t use a heat protectant but from now on I will. I’m looking for a good heat protectant, anyone have any ideas where I can find one?

Kendra
Kendra

Very cute!!! I love your hair!!

Laila
Laila

Hi Monica,

Can you please tell me how you achieved the hairsytle featured in the article. The one with you in the car? Looks amazing.

Thanks,

Hey Laila,
The bantu knot outs were done on dry hair. My sister detangled my hair and used Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie and I applied the shine and mist spray as well. I didn’t leave the knots in long enough to get the look I wanted but I worked with it!

Bridget
Bridget

Love your hair! Especially love the style in the hot pink tshirt. How did you achieve and maintain this style?

Monz03b

Bridget, my friend just wet it with a spray bottle and added some kind of butter–I think it was called soft n free. I would just put a bonnet over it at night and that was it. It lasted a few days without having to touch it.

Brienne
Brienne

Hey Monica! Your hair is SO GORGEOUS! I tried going natural earlier this summer but gave up when the summer heat set in…but now I WANT TO TRY AGAIN! I currently have a sew-in…but my front, sides, and back are out. I’m not using heat, but it doesn’t look the best! How do you wear your sew-ins? Do you get a full, partial, etc.?

Monz03b

Brienne! Hello! Thanks for the compliment! I have had partial sew ins but they break my hair off because I was straightening it a lot so I started to only wear full sew ins. They are a life saver. I am rocking one NOW and I love it! To keep down on breakage, I would recommend wearing full sew ins. And when I don’t want it to look TOO wiggish, I will get bangs. Good luck with the journey, it’s fun!

Kg.sunshine
Kg.sunshine

Lovely hair! What do you do to achieve your curls? I guess I mean, do you use a styler, or just moisturize your curls or do you do twist outs?

Monz03b

Kg.sunshine, I do all of them! I try to keep my hair moisturized and then I will do a twist out or wear a wash and go. Since summer is gone, I am going to try to use more protective styles and see what happens. I want to do more twist outs, bantu knots, and possibly do some hairstyles with braids!

rozt
rozt

i love yo hair. i kinda ruined mine wth chemicals now it doesnt grow so long lyk how it was wen it was natural. thoyos is not too african.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/36110_118964014815411_100001054389624_116216_7306111_n.jpg[/img]
this is hw it was bt nw its brownish n shorter. any advise without cutting it

Reply to  rozt

Rozt, your hair is beautiful! I would just let it grow and not do anything. There are a ton of good hair products for our hair!