Kyra Climbingbear // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 17, 2011

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Natural Hairstyles, Natural Haircare, Natural Hair Pictures

Introduce yourself!
K: My name is Kyra Climbingbear. I live in New York City and in New Jersey (depends on the day of the week). I am a singer/songwriter. I sing what I’d like to call Afro-Native music (which is a fusion of Soul, R&B, and Native American music).

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
K: I have been natural most of my life. I’d say I have participated in UNNATURAL hair activities at most 1.5–2 years (bleaching, dyeing, one perm, a straight weave or two).

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
K: I have never had to transition other than transitioning to new lengths as I usually cut my hair every 4 years. My hair will be 4 years old in January 2012. I will not be cutting it this time though.

How would you describe your hair?
K: The longer my hair gets the less curly it is. When short, it’s an actual full spiral. By the time it gets to shoulder length, it’s a poofy wave/curl. I have 2–3 textures in my hair from 3B‑4. I don’t get a lot of shrinkage. My hair is very thick and extremely soft. The back tends to be oilier and the top is dry and coarse. The front is soft and is the straightest of all my hair. It’s my least favorite part.

What is your regimen?
K: For a while I was using Karen’s Body Beautiful Hair Nectar and Hair Whipped Butter Cream. The products are a little too heavy for my hair and are better for my hair in the summer. I’m currently in LOVE with Shea Moisture Hair Hibiscus and Curl Smoothie. I usually wash my hair with Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap. After washing I take a wide tooth comb while the hair is still wet and comb from bottom toward the crown.

I condition my hair from bottom to root putting more product on the bottom than top since my scalp tends to be oilier in certain spots. I then use the Curl Smoothie on just the ends of my hair. I finish with a concoction of my own (Olive oil and Coconut oil) the size of a quarter and rub it on my ends since they tend to be dry.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
K: ALWAYS READ the products before you put them in your hair! I almost permed my hair because I went into a Korean owned Black Beauty Supply and (with the advice of a Black beautician) asked for Motions moisturizer. I was given a relaxer. I didn’t read the label, which stated “Extra Moisturizing” in caps and in very, very small letters “Super Relaxer”. I almost ended my natural hair life! Lol Within 1–2 minutes I realized it was not moisturizer on my 1 year old’s hair or mine. Luckily I don’t use a lot of product so it didn’t affect my hair at all. For security measures I washed our hair for 30 minutes (no lie) Lol. I usually just trust my instincts. A lot of “professionals” don’t know what they’re talking about especially when it comes to natural hair.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
K: Moisturizing and conditioning! You cannot over condition black/kinky curly hair. I don’t tend to shampoo my hair that often. I let it breathe, and should it start smelling “odd” or mildewy I wash it. I condition it daily! It’s going to do what it wants to do. It is a life of its own. I love it!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
K: www.kyraclimbingbear.com

Anything else you want to add?
K: I’m not a fan of team natural. I am not a trend follower. I am team be yourself and do what makes you happy. Everyone’s hair journey is not going to be the same. I can appreciate people who are now brave enough to wear their natural hair and transition into becoming their true selves. We have been conditioned to believe certain traits are prettier than others. A lot of the “Naturals” I see have “GOOD HAIR” and I think that a lot of people expect their hair to look like that once their perm is cut out. Everyone’s fro is not going to look the same. We are just as unique as snowflakes. Love your hair…don’t try and mimic the next natural.

Which brings me to a question…If you dye or bleach your hair, then how are you “Natural”? Again, I’m not a purist nor do I care about what people do to their hair…it is THEIR hair. I try to be as natural as I can with even the food I eat. I respect what goes in my body and what I put in my hair. Treat yourself good. Your hair is a reflection of your health as well. Yeah I’ve kinda gone into a rant, but again I’m team do what makes you happy even it’s wearing a perm or a big purple fro. Why bother to label yourself as anything other than DOPE! The coolest thing about my hair is it’s even more unique than my name, which is Kyra Climbingbear! I love my hair and I am known for its bigness! Thank you so much for allowing me to write about it!

About Meosha

TheUncommonBeauty

Beautiful hair.

TheUncommonBeauty.blogspot.com

sosoulful_0125
sosoulful_0125

Luv Luv your interview!!!!! And you are absolutely right people need to do what makes them happy.

Shak

Great interview. Love the comments about the labeling that’s been going on. Too much going on in all of out lives to be adding divisiveness regarding hair into the mix!
(I also listened to some of her music — very nice!)

Home Daycare

If its cool for ppl to do them then why worry about whether they color and if they consider themselves to be natural or not? Just my thought. I love color. My question is does putting color in your hair alter the texture? I don’t think it does. So this natural will continue to color…

Arian
Arian
Reply to  Home Daycare

I agree with your post 100%… I will continue to color as well…and yes, color has altered my texture some…it is a little looser, which is why I am going to ease up and not get it as much.

JP23
JP23

Her hair is pretty.

Say what?!
Say what?!

She mentioned the perennial elephant in the room AKA ‘good hair’.

Tami

Natural to me simply means not altering the texture of your hair through chemicals (doesn’t include dye), wearing that texture out and not hiding it. Natural isn’t ‘I eat healthy, I don’t wear makeup, I exercise’. It’s not a whole lifestyle that people have to follow. I don’t understand the hypocrisy of her statements.

Tami
Reply to  Tami

Oh, and I meant to say that natural hair CAN be overconditioned. I learned this lesson when trying to leave in regular conditioner on a regular basis.

Audrey
Audrey

Everyone is entitled to their interpretation of what natural is. So long as they don’t put it on someone else that doesn’t feel the same way. Natural means to me that I try to eat well and get exercise. I pay attention about what goes into my body… even if it isn’t very healthy. I wear my hair naturally because I love my hair and I don’t want to put chemicals in my body anymore if I can help it. This carries over to the products I use and the cleaning products in our home. I know people who are… Read more »

June
June

I am having the most serious case of hair envy right now. Her length is my goal length. I love how dense her hair is. Patience, patience.

nappymarge

Hi Kyra do you do alot of protective styling? How will you protect your hair in winter?

Aiden
Aiden

Kyra’s hair is full of magic and beauty. Rock on, girl!

Giovanna
Giovanna

I just found my first hair crush! Im seriously getting the huge itch to BC AGAIN, Ive been gradually transitioning for 7 months and my new growth is about almost 4 inches, I prefer length but I’m dying for a full head of natural curls. what a DILEMMA!

Kyra Climbingbear

First off thank you all so much for commenting about my hair. It is awesome and magical to me as well. I wanted address my “Good hair” I wrote in the context so that ppl could get a jest of what I was saying texture wise. I think healthy hair is “good hair” whether it’s straight or coarse. As for being natural and living a natural lifestyle there is a difference. For me I’ve had natural hair most of my 28 yrs on this planet. I’ve learned what works for me and what doesn’t. Eating certain things cause dandruff etc… Read more »

AnonUK
AnonUK

Dying your hair *may* change the curl pattern but it doesn’t necessarily do that for everyone. Same for blow drying if not done in excessive to hair that can take it.

Kyra Climbingbear

Btw sorry that was so long and if it sounds a little hostile I apologize; I’m working on 4 hrs of sleep. I may come off a little cranky but I’m not. Lol just tired. Lastly, not everyone’s hair grows the same. Be patient with your hair. We ALL go through the “ugly” length stage. Work through it. Play with new styles to get you past that mid length. 🙂

Carla
Carla

That is a good questions. I’ve always been natural though I’ve only embraced my hair for 9 years now (stopped using direct heat). Though I use henna on my hair, I consider myself natural. I’ve used dyes in the past and never though of my hair as not being natural. With that said, I guess everyone’s entitled to their definition of natural.

NEHeartbreak!

the subject of hair is extremely touchy. I’m natural and have died my hair and have blown it out. and I considered myself natural the entire time. however, the dyes that I have used DID in fact alter the texture of my hair. dried it out something awful. I don’t dye it anymore and am now rockin a fade. I still blow out my top sometimes though… it shrinks and I’m cool with it. Being natural is the freest I’ve been with my hair. I wear it kinky and I wear it big, tall however I want. and its at… Read more »

NEHeartbreak!

… and if a life of hatin-being discouraged-easily taking offense to things that have nothing to do with you personally- being grumpy is the life you want, then so be it lol. BE it hard.

Le Le
Le Le

, in reference to you almost relaxing your hair on mistake, I’ve been afraid of doing that very thing. I make sure I read my products closely, especially if the same company is known for their relaxers (such as Cantu, Motions, Pink, Dark and Lovely etc.), and even though I don’t use these lines too often, when I do, I make sure I examine them thoroughly. I cannot afford to be relaxed. My hair/scalp hates that junk.

Kyra Climbingbear

Le Le I really think that lady was trying to set me up for failure. I promise you the jar said Extra Moisturizing lol I may have scarred my daughter for life bc we were in the shower for 30–45 washing the stuff out just to make sure. Lol

Oh Bother
Oh Bother

Can there be different types of naturals like there are different types of vegatarians? Or different types of sexualities, or races? I think there would be a lot more harmony if there was one all inclusive term for natural and subsets (not sure if this is the proper term). Like straight naturals, dyed naturals, blah blah blah.

The dyed naturals debate reminds of how there are people in the LGBT community that think that people that are Bisexual should chose gay or straight. *shrugs*

Oh Bother
Oh Bother
Reply to  Oh Bother

And she totally looks like Erykah Badu to me. Very pretty! Ridic hair. Like drool worthy. Like I’d try to touch it on the sly. Like girl I was just trying to get a piece of lint out of your hair, not trying to cop a feel of it’s awesomeness. lmbo. Don’t judge me. 🙂

Cheri

Kyra, I saw your name and was like OMG I can’t believe its her the world is too small!!! My family originally came from the eastern band too, I’m going to send you a message on facebook, i see you only have a fan page but i hope you’re the one who checks it because i’m in shocked that i saw your picture and so i can tell you why your lastname shocked me back when i met you at camp.

By the Way You’ve Grown Into a beautiful woman and your hair is still gorgeous!!

Cheri

Oh it looks like i can’t send you a message on facebook, i’ll post something on your wall hopefully you can send a message to me.

Cheri

forget the last part i’m composing the message now,lol

Kyra Climbingbear

Oh Bother! LMAO I love it! Continue to be you and yes you can touch my hair should we ever meet in person! Promise!

AishaSaidIt

Dope.

b
b

Seriously? Someone who has permanently altered her body with permanent subdermal ink is doing the backhanded, “I’m not saying that I’m better than you, but I’m better than you because I don’t chemically alter my hair, even with dye, so I’m more natural” thing? Seriously? For the record, I think tattoos are cool, though I have none myself because I’m too flighty to commit to a permanent body alteration. In fact, one of the things I like most about relaxers, (most) piercings, and hair dye is that they’re not as permanent as a tattoo and it’s easy and free to… Read more »

JP23
JP23
Reply to  b

I’m trying to not get too caught up in the “is you is or is you aint a real natural” ish either. For me EYE see natural as “no relaxer”, that’s pretty much it. I dont have a problem with people making other subsets of natual.I agree with your point of “less toxic choices”.

Kindle
Kindle

Seriously,
Who cares if she has tattoos or not! How the hell does that have anything to do with natural hair! I’m pretty sure some of you Naturalistas probably eat McDonalds etc etc and yes the chemicals in that crap affect your hair and skin but who cares. The fact is most of you are probably new to this natural scene! Most of you have probably had perms so long that the chemicals have permanently damaged your brain cells! Stop the hate and keep it moving!

Tami
Reply to  Kindle

Yeah exactly, who cares about the chemicals in food (since they’re everywhere and have nothing to do with hair texture). What’s with the ignorant retort?

Kindle
Kindle
Reply to  Tami

I enjoyed her article until I started reading people and their comments. I swear people try and dissect everything and everyone’s “hidden messages”. As a person who has been natural for over 20 years and counting I just don’t get why black women can’t just be themselves. What the hell does her tattoos have anything to do with her hair texture or hair care! I’m sure that doesn’t effect her hair. On top of that you do know there are Vegan friendly tattoo inks right? I mean come on! My favorite “Everyone’s fro is not going to look the same.… Read more »

Tami
Reply to  Kindle

Ok, I get where you’re coming from…but there was no need to respond in that way. As another person who’s been natural over half of her life, it made us veterans look juvenile and catty. I do agree that tattoos don’t really have to do with being ‘natural’, like I said in my earlier response…it’s just about the texture. Not everyone follows a healthy diet and all that other stuff.

Kindle
Kindle
Reply to  Tami

I like that “veterans”… Hell I remember when the only choice us naturals had was Pink Oil Moisturizer, Jam, That Black gel, Queen Helene products… hahaha that or make your own products!

9ether ~

Very Beautiful Hair Kyra! it is indeed even more luscious in person as it is in these pictures 🙂 … but wow there was sum hate going around in some of these comments. i find it hard to understand why ppl cant take from others what they can & keep it moving.., i know i kept reading Kyra say to ” just do you ” but why is that soo hard 4 some? nevermind the attention to the negative tho… there is alot of good information about health & how it relates to ur hair here…i find that very interesting… Read more »

william harper
william harper

keep being you momas that’s love in the fullest effect bask in your glory (hair) its beautiful !!!!!!

MissyAnon
MissyAnon

I’m not a fan of team natural. I am not a trend follower. I am team be yourself and do what makes you happy. Everyone’s hair journey is not going to be the same.” YES!!!