Former BGLH Style Icon Aevin Dugas Wins Guinness World Record for Largest Afro!!

Avatar • Sep 15, 2011

First she amazed the BGLH community back in November with her gorgeous fro, now she’s amazing the world! Aevin Dugas was recently recognized as having the world’s largest afro!! Check out the story from the Guinness World Records website:

Aevin Dugas a 36 year-old social worker from New Orleans, USA, is the proud owner of the largest natural afro in the world with a circumference measuring an incredible 4 ft. 4 in (1.32 m).

The hairstyle that has taken over 12 years to grow can at times be problematic.

It’s always getting caught in trees, and one time I even slammed my hair in the car door! And I hate it when people touch it without asking my permission first!” , she admits.

However Aevin has no regrets over her choice of hairstyle: “As a woman you’re told that straight hair is beautiful hair. This is crazy. The afro is my natural hairstyle and there can’t be anything more beautiful than that”.

Aevin trims her afro three times a year, and uses up to five conditioners at once when she washes it.

You want to know the best thing about my hair?” Aevin says with a smile: “It provides the perfect pillow. I sleep very well.”

The hair is larger than a disco ball! Aevin’s hairstyle is so large she could fit the world’s shortest man inside!

Congrats Aevin!! Check out her style icon profile here.

adamson

I love it… it’s so voluminous!!

Michelle
Michelle

I LOVE IT!!! You FRO girl!

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Michelle

+1 and Congrats!!!

Delightbunnie
Delightbunnie

Wow this makes me so happy on so many levels.

Vida Starr

I want that!!

lady jaye
lady jaye

Way to go Aevin! Congrats!

Zyaran
Zyaran

Her hair is gorgeous, and I complain about my detangling time. Wow now that is alot of hair drooling :).lol.…

vonnie

it’s so beautiful *weeps*. my god, i can only imagine the detangling process lol.…get it girl!

Vonnie of Socialitedreams.com

Dasia

Wow! I wonder if she wears her hair in other styles.

b.
b.
Reply to  Dasia

I wondered that too. She obviously takes really good care of her hair. Congrats!

Zyaran
Zyaran
Reply to  Dasia

On this site strawberricurls she has added more pics with other styles that she puts it in as well hope this helps.

GirlPuh-leeze!
GirlPuh-leeze!

Soooooo Beautifulllll!!!! Congratulations!

RaeChardonnay

Woot woot! Go Aevin!!

YannaBlue
YannaBlue

Bossiest fro ever! I love it!

Coda
Coda

Beautiful. Almost as long as I am tall lol

Jai
Jai

Congratulations to her, the fro is FIERCE!!!!!

AishaSaidIt

Pretty hair, I’m envious, but what about that lady in France? Remember her, someone said she was mad?

HairItIs
Reply to  AishaSaidIt

Do you mean this lady?

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mygoalhair.jpg[/img]

I thought of her immediately, too, when I saw this. I’m not sure if she’s in France, but the license plates on the cars look European. Also, I hadn’t heard that she was mentally ill. I just remember this photo going around a few months back and saved it because I loooove her ‘fro. I don’t know for sure, but I like to think that her hair is real, because I NEED to believe it’s possible. She has my dream afro– RIDICULOUSLY huge!

Sunni
Sunni
Reply to  HairItIs

I saw this on a natural hair web site on fb.. And it was said that this lady in Europe fro wasn’t real… Come on think about it.. If it were real she would have won and not Aevin.. I mean don’t cha think? Go Aevin… <3

Fabre
Fabre
Reply to  Sunni

This was posted on here. Someone in France where she lives said that it wasn’t real and the woman had mental health issues. Not sure if that’s true but it’s what was said.

She reminds me of Yubaba in Spirited Away for some reason, must be the shape.

I also read that you need to put yourself forward for the GBOR to be included. It was reasoned that she may have been the person with the longest hair to put herself forward at the time.

Aevin’s hair looks lovely.

HairItIs
Reply to  Fabre

The size of it is unbelievable. But…I want to believe! I wonder, how does anyone who has seen her in person know for sure that it isn’t real? I mean, where could you even get an afro wig or weave THAT big and long? And, um, do they ship to the U.S.??? Just kiddin…kind of…

HairItIs
Reply to  Sunni

You have to enter for Guinness, so Aevin would’ve won because she has the biggest afro out of all the people who chose to enter. Maybe more people out there will learn about the category from this story (I know this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it) and decide to enter next year because they think they have an even bigger afro than Aevin’s, uh, Aefro…

I hope we’ll get to see even more big, beautiful ‘fros next time around!

Carla
Carla

Beautiful hair! I wonder if she gets knots, tangles, SSKs, etc from wearing it out…

Angie
Angie

Yeah, her hair is amazing and totally gorgeous!

Angela
Angela

Gorgeous!

Zyaran
Zyaran

There’s a hairstylist named Nameea whose on fellow youtuber “Alexandrabond” video who has an Gigantic afro :). Check her out at stamp code 13:02 to see the hair.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CMcvKvVy1pE

Olivia

Her hair is so BIG!!! I love it.

Does anyone else think it’s weird that she “owns” the world’s largest afro?

dyhnic

that a person can have so a big full afro, lovely

Catryn
Catryn

Why did her put her in a club next to a disco club? Is it only me who felt that was kinda throwing her back to the 1970s?

BlackAngel Playah

She has my DREAM fro! LoL! As far as Guinness they take what you give them. If that lady’s fro was real if she didn’t enter it, they won’t consider it. Like the woman with the longest locs. I’ve seen tribes men with longer locs- not to mention a lot THICKER. BUT they didn’t enter them, so she won. Just a bit of info. I welcome someone to correct me. 🙂 I won’t be mad at cha. :p

Jen

LoveSexy52
LoveSexy52

Aevin, your hair is gorgeous, I am so proud of u. My hair was almost that huge when I was wearing the Afro. I love it, I’m going to print ur pic and put it on my desk at work. Not only is your hair beautiful so are you.

NOLADarling
NOLADarling
Tee
Tee

I love the fact that her hair stands up. I don’t have an afro as big as hers, but it still is a BAA. Even after I cut it, my hair stood up for a short period then it grew out again, but it doesn’t stand up. I simply admire the fact her hair doesn’t automatically split down the middle of her head like mine. ABSOLUTELY FANTABULOUS! Regarding others who supposedly have a bigger afro than hers, they can contact the Guinness Book of World Records to challenge her record next year. In the meantime Ms. Aevin Dugas can keep… Read more »

trackback

that more people are attracted to such…

graphics and hence keep coming back to your blogs.write the right wayfinally, a lot depends on how you write your blog. flawless language with correct grammar and no spelling mistakes are a pre-requisite. a dash of humor will always help in…