Eliza in Brazil // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Aug 24, 2011

Where are you from?
E:
I currently live in Rio. I’m a industrial engineer and work as a consultant in a software company. I’m from Santa Catarina, south of Brazil, as is all of my family. I love the diverse cultural background. Music, dance, religion… everything is so connected with our African roots. But the thing I most admire is that, besides its social problems, people always find a way to have fun and enjoy life.

What is the natural hair scene like in Brazil?
E:
Natural hair is becoming more popular, especially here in Rio… it must be the weather, since it’s not a easy task to maintain straight hair with this heat and humidity. Natural hair with loose and defined curls is well accepted. Fros are still seen as some kind of “revolution” but is not that unusual, especially in the hip hop scene. However, straight and long hair still dictates the rules in most media outlets. We can definitely can see some changes though. Now there are product options for curly hair.

When did you go natural?
E:
I have been natural my whole life! Growing up, my mom refused to put any chemical on my hair or let any hairdresser relax it (and believe it, they tried it!). She said it would “kill” my hair and I would end up like her, spending years trying to reverse it back. I love her for that! 🙂

I mostly kept my hair in pony tails and buns as a child. When I got to high school I just let it go! I like the volume and versatility of curls. When I want to change it up I blow dry and use a flat iron to wear it straight for a while. But it doesn’t last long as I love to go the beach and get my hair wet!

What’s your regimen?
E:
My regimen is pretty simple. I shampoo, condition and apply vitamins to my hair once a week at home. I don’t do anything special before going to sleep. I just put my hair in a bun and yes, most of my curls are gone when I wake up… so my weekday visual is wavier. I apply some leave-in to get some definition.

I also go to a local salon to do a deep conditioning twice a month. I’m always trying new products, but I’ve been using L’Oréal for a while. I like their Elsève line with honey jelly. It really works for my hair, specially its leave-in. I recently tried Miss Jessie’s Rapid Recovery Treatment after a little too much sun and salt water in the beach and found it really good too. I used to buy deep conditioning cremes with avocado, but I can’t find it easily anymore. Honey and avocado in the formula have always worked for me.

Where do you buy your products?
E:
I usually buy in cosmetics shops. My L’Oréal products are easy to find it in pharmacies too.

What would you like to see in your country in terms of haircare?
E:
I’d like too see more products for non chemical treated curly hair and more dedicated material in Brazilian magazines and websites.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
B:
You can find me on Facebook and Twitter. It’s always nice to keep in touch with other natural girls! 🙂

sunshyne84
sunshyne84

Good to hear from our international sistas!

MsCocoaBrown01
MsCocoaBrown01

Glad to see our Natural sistas representing and rocking the Fro-fros in Brazil and the fact that they do acknowledge their African roots!

Anonyme
Anonyme

I love the diverse cultural background. Music, dance, religion… everything is so connected with our African roots. But the thing I most admire is that, besides its social problems, people always find a way to have fun and enjoy life.”

That’s exactly why I fell in love with Brazil over 10 years ago and have been going back nearly every year since.

Voce esta linda, Eliza!

Eliza
Eliza
Reply to  Anonyme

Obrigada! 🙂

Rachel
Rachel

I’m get so happy when you feature naturals from Brazil. Ever since learning about Bahia in undergrad, it has been my dream to visit. This is the next country I am dying to visit!

Miah
Miah
Reply to  Rachel

IT. IS. AMAZING. I hope to get back there, soon.

Ms. M
Ms. M

Pretty girl, pretty hair. 🙂

Thank you for sharing this.

Me
Me

You go, girl!!!

Precious
Precious

Nice!!! Can’t wait to go to Brazil! Beautiful hair, by the way! 🙂

chyscurlz
chyscurlz

I convinced my mum to big chop and she did. The only thing is that she lives in Brazil for work and dosen’t speak much portugese so has a hard time getting products to take care of her hair. Is there a way I can get the name of a specific product(s) and stores (names) which I can refer her to? I’m about to send her a care package but I’m worried that she wouldn’t know where to go for more if she runs out. Please help me because she might jut end up going back to perms and I… Read more »

Eliza
Eliza
Reply to  chyscurlz

LOL I can help! Does she live in Rio?

chyscurlz
chyscurlz

Sorry I took so long to reply. She lives in sao paolo but she frequents rio and curitiba

Eliza
Eliza
Reply to  chyscurlz

Sao Paulo is even easier! What type of hair does she have? She can try Alfparf, Ponto 9, L’oreal lines for curly hair… L’oreal is easy to find in any pharmacy. It works for my type of hair… do you have facebook or twitter? I’ll be glad to help you! 🙂

Chy'sCurlz
Reply to  Eliza

Thanks Eliza,

Sorry it has taken me this long. I didn’t know you had replied. Yes, let’s connect on twitter my username is @chyscurlz

Diamond Velez

Peace,
Great article. I agree natural hair is on the rise in Brazil. Especially in Salvador da Bahia, the state where I live with my husband and 4 children. We all have natural hair and fit right in here. We are originally from the USA. It’s great because Brasileiras here are very good at styling their hair and making beautiful styles without getting a perm.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/MamiLogoButton.jpg[/img]

Yaasha
Yaasha

Oi Eliza! When I was in Brazil, one of my white friends recommended a line of products that I fell in love with called SEDA, a brand we can only find in Brazilian stores in the U.S. I have used the S.O.S. Chocolate line shampoo, conditioner, and styling creme. Now, since the texture of my hair has slightly changed, I’m not sure what I can use from the line for styling my hair. I went from using the creme to twirl my curls with my fingers to just using the “shake and rake” technique with gel to provide the same… Read more »

Yaasha
Yaasha

Yaasha
Yaasha

Ooh-kaay, my pc is a little pyscho right now, plus I just realized that my profile pic isn’t showing. Here it is:
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/YaashaRetouchCopy1.jpg[/img]