Former Danity Kane Singer D. Woods Talks Natural Hair

Avatar • Jul 15, 2011

Recently I was notified that D Woods, formerly of the group Danity Kane, had a full head of gorgeous curls. Having only seen her with straight hair, I found it hard to believe until I peeped the photos. Her hair is the TRUTH so I asked her if she could share a little with BGLH. Enjoy!

First off your natural hair is GORGEOUS. Why don’t you wear it out more often?
D:
I actually wear it natural the majority of the time. And I’m slowly but surely converting the way the public sees me by slowly introducing them to styles in my recent photos and public appearances. But I must admit I do face alot of opposition with hair stylists cuz everyone doesn’t get it or know how to rock natural hair and make it fly.

Although members of the natural hair community (those of use who know about your real hair) are crazy about your curls, gossip blogs/commenters can be rude when photos of you with natural hair are posted. Does it ever bother you?
D:
It does bother me sometimes. I feel bad that black women can’t be valued with all our different looks and especially our NATURAL look. But I know I like this choice the best and the more I commit to it the blogs will just have to accept it.

Can you give a brief history of your hair?
D:
Well growing up I went through what most lil black girls go through, everybody wants long flowing hair. But I rocked crown rows with beads at the end, sat next to the stove holding my ear down to get it pressed out and finally got the “creamy crack” treatment. But I always had thick hair and I had a revelation in 11th grade that my personality went better with natural, curly, funky styles. So I went natural. It took a lil bit for me to find my niche with it cuz socially people feel natural hair has you seen in a certain way. I even had to completely cover it with sew in weaves to protect my hair while I was in the group and didn’t have control of my image.

A while back you were rocking an asymmetrical cut. Did you actually cut your hair for that, or was it a wig?
D:
It’s funny because I had to really cut my hair at first because of damage done to my hair with constant flat ironing and the wrong people handling my natural hair trying to make it straight all the time. But the hair cut wasn’t that dramatic. My hairstylist and I wanted to try something for my Bday and since we were half way there we tried a full sew in and she cut one side all the way down. The blogs went in on me then too but now everybody’s doing it 3 years later, lol.

D. Woods with Danity Kane

So, when you’re not rocking a natural look, how do you style your hair?
D:
Because my hair is very thick but also considered “fine”, flat ironing works well but doesn’t last as soon as I get near moisture or humidity. Wigs bother me, they are either uncomfortable or I’m scared they will fall off, lol. I do sew in weaves if I’m not rocking my own hair.

What’s your favorite natural look for when you do choose to rock your natural hair?
D:
I like to rock a big puffy pony tail to the side. It gives me a retro 80’s feel.

How do you care for your hair?
D:
Hair care is an ever going project. I try different products to get the right fit for my hair type and the look I want. But getting a deep conditioner and trim every couple weeks helps to keep it healthy.

What current or upcoming projects are you working on?
D:
You can go cop my new EP titled THE GRAY AREA on Itunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, etc NOW!!

Thanks D. for talking with us!! Be sure to show her some love on Twitter!

Melissa
Melissa

Her hair is GORGEOUS! Dang! It makes you wonder how many more ‘undercover naturals’ there are in the music biz. Personally, I think she looks WAY better with the natural hair!

Lisa
Lisa

I feel bad that black women can’t be valued with all our different looks and especially our NATURAL look.”

AMEN! These black blogs should be ASHAMED of themselves for how they reaction to celebs who rock natural hair!! It says a lot about collective self hate IMO.

Allie
Allie

Great article!

Macdee
Macdee

I really dont get it, why cover that all gorgeous head of curls under carpet weave??? She looks soooo much better without it.

nappyct
nappyct

Wow, I didn’t even know she was natural! She’s gorgeous!

Krys

I didn’t know she was natural as well. She looks great! I love her hair!

ManiacMod
ManiacMod

She’s always been adorable to me but she is fuggin stunning with her natural hair. Like drop dead gorge!

HomeGrownHairGirl
Reply to  ManiacMod

Agreed! I didn’t even recognize her. In my opinion, the weave D Woods had when she was in Danity Kane hid her true BEAUTY! Wow!

Janice
Janice

Sometimes I think the irony of weave is that people don’t realize that an African phenotype actually looks BETTER when it is topped off with African hair! Although I know that there are black women with straight or wavy hair, the majority of us have textured tresses, and they offset our skin, our facial features, EVERYTHING! I know this is corny, but God truly knew what he was doing when he gave us this hair! Oftentimes, weave ‘throws off’ our natural beauty (I’m looking at you Serena Williams!) And, sadly, I think that was the case also with D. Woods! However,… Read more »

boho.barbie
boho.barbie
Reply to  Janice

so true!

jenna marie christian

Her hair is beautiful…

FLHoneybee
FLHoneybee

Janice: That is an excellent observation. When I have worn wigs–I always felt like everyone was looking at my hair and thinking “Why does she have that big ol’ wig on her head?” I have yet to find a wig that I could wear without self consciousness. I just think I look like a drag queen. I understand the fashion but for example, I like Nikki Minaj’s album –would I like it any less if I saw her without her purple/pink/ Marge Simpson wig? Or Beyonce without the blond Diana Ross big hair? The weave obsession has gotten out of… Read more »

Janele

You look beautiful. Continue to stay true to yourself.

MissyD
MissyD

She use to rock the most busted ghetto fabulous wigs/weaves. So so SOOOOO glad she gave those things up. There is a way to pull of A‑symmetrical. She never figured it out. Her natural hair looks a lot better. It’s a shame that even celebrities feel the pressure to conform and rock weaves all the time.

JL
JL
Reply to  MissyD

Hmm… Sounds like you were trying hard to get some jabs into that “compliment” *SMH*

D, you look GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing with the BGLH community!

JL
JL

I’m loving these entertainment interviews on BGLH! Thanks for doing them Leila, it’s great to get this insight! And D. Woods looks gorgeous!!

Abii
Abii

Was my favorite chick in DK so I’m glad she’s back and doing her thing. She looks absolutely stunning now with her natural curls, her previous look didn’t do her justice. D you rock!!!!!!

g.
g.

Nice gams D. Woods…get it girl :o)
And I want Danity Kane back together asap!
I love ALL of them!

predestined010
predestined010

Dare I say I didn’t even recognize her … WOW it doesn’t even look like the same person .… She looks good though

adamson

I don’t really know who she is, but I guess I’ll watch for her 🙂 Great hair!

jojo
jojo

D.woods, you are beautiful and I love your hair!