Are naturals hesitant to embrace weaves as a protective style?

Avatar • Jul 28, 2011

Singer Teyana Taylor

Gina says;

Although I’ve never worn a weave myself, I’ve encountered quite a few naturals who have used it as a protective style. As I understand it, you cornrow your hair apply a stocking cap and then put the weave or wig over it. Although there is some potential for dryness it overall sounds like a pretty effective protective style. Yet, I find that some naturals “feel a way” about the use of weaves in a natural hair regimen. It’s almost like the “side chick” of the natural community… a lot of people are messing with her, but no one wants to claim her outright. I could be way off base with this, but I wondered what your thoughts are.

First off, I’m loving the whole ’ ”side chick” of the natural community’ analogy, lol! Do you agree ladies? Are you hesitatnt to embrace or acknowledge weaves as a protective style? If so, why? Or do you proudly rock weaves as a part of your styling rotation. Please share!

Jade

I wore a weave once when I was transitioning, it broke my hair off so badly that I BC’ed earlier than I intended to. It was itchy, and I hated the compliments I got on it. However, if I really wanted straight hair, I would use a weave before I potentially burn up my own hair. I’m also allergic to the chemicals applied to synthetic hair, and I can’t see myself wearing human hair because 1. I think it’s creepy to wear someone else’s hair and 2. I’m not paying for someone else’s hair, I have my own. So unless I suddenly… Read more »

Mae
Mae

I would embrace anything that worked for me. I have tried extensions once, when I had relaxed hair, and never again. It doesn’t work for me. My scalp went crazy, I had to take it out after a few hours. That was $$$ down the drain.

Krystal

I’m not fond of weaves, but I’m all about wigs, lol. It’s the protective style for me at this moment.

tonia
tonia

I wore wigs for about six months and got a lot of great growth. I kept my twisted hair moisturized daily, washed it frequently, and only wore wigs only to work. I know some naturals feel some sort of way about wigs but, to me, as long as you wear them for the right reasons and not because you are ashamed of your your hair I don’t see what the problem is.

Krystal
Reply to  tonia

That’s my strategy too, Tonia! My growth has been great, and I’m retaining more length because of less manipulation. It’s a win-win. I’ve worn wigs for the past four months, and took a break these last couple of weeks.

tonia
tonia
Reply to  Krystal

I took a break this summer but may wig it up this winter.

GodsChick
GodsChick
Reply to  Krystal

Gotta High-Five you sisters on this one. I rock my wig and maintain my twist underneath and definitely enjoyed a head full of healthy hair. My wig is a loosely curled natural and I leave my edges out to blend in the front for the illusion. My hair has now grown out just as long as the wig and I’m ‘naturally happy’. #lovingmynaturalnjourney

Kenya
Kenya
Reply to  GodsChick

I was just thinking about trying wigs as a protective style. I’ve been natural almost a year and my puff and afro need a break as I feel it’s drying my hair out some. Plus, I’ve seen some really cute styles I know I could rock! 🙂

Lissie
Lissie

I embrace wearing weaves as a protective style! I’ve been rocking crotchet braids for the past 2.5 months (the type that basically looks like a sew-in but is crotchet-in instead of sewn-in). I get new ones installed every 3–4 weeks. It’s helped a lot with length retention and allows me to focus on important things other than hair.

CoilyRob
CoilyRob
Reply to  Lissie

I have an appointment to get crochet braids. How do you keep your hair moisturized, and do you wash it? Is your hair tangled when you remove them? Thanks a lot.

Lissie
Lissie
Reply to  CoilyRob

Hi CoilyRob! You’re very welcome in advance <3! I’ll try my best to answer all of your questions. It’s super easy for me to keep my hair moisturize while in crotchet braids. Unlike regular sew-ins, crotchet braids give you a better feel for the actual rows between the cornrows. As a result, all I do is separated the hair and moisturise my scalp. I’ll spray my hair with StaSoSoft Fro and seal with castor oil. However, you can used whatever product you want :-). I’m not sure how your stylist will cornrow your hair, becuase some women cornrow their hairs… Read more »

CoilyRob
CoilyRob
Reply to  Lissie

Thank you soooo much for your detailed answer! I really appreciated it. To answer your questions, I will be using Freetress Bohemian Bulk hair, which is curly. She is charging $149, and I have to pick up the hair myself. I am totally hair challenged, so unfortunately I have no choice but to spend that amount of money for them 🙁 . I will try to keep them in for 6 weeks. If I like them, I will revisit them in the Fall, and they will be my protective style for the Fall and Winter. It will be my first… Read more »

Eboni
Eboni

I think some naturals are afraid/hesitant to embrace wigs and weaves because there’s so much pressure to embrace natural hair. So many people want to rock their fros and twists, however alot of womem have either already damaged hair or have no clue on how to style their natural hair. Therefore they have to opt for wigs and weaves, which makes some feel like they’re messing with the “side chick” (cute, lol). Honestly, like Tonia said do what works for you and for the right reasons. As long as wigs and weaves are serving the purpose to protect your beautiful… Read more »

tonia
tonia
Reply to  Eboni

I have to agree with what you said about the pressure.I was getting some def side eyes and questions as to why I was wearing wigs instead of wearing my hair out from co-workers and family. I was not a wig wearer before I became natural but I grew to love its convience and how it allowed my hair to rest.

Robin Nicole

It’s funny that you posted this, b/c I was as the store earlier today and the young lady who checked me out asked if I was “doing the natural hair thing”. I responded yes, and she said she was too, but I was a bit confused by of the yaki 2b cascading from her head. I had to really think about it for a sec lol. She said she wasn’t ready to wear her fro just yet, and was using the weave as a protective style. I was shocked to hear someone using that language, I don’t have convos about… Read more »

chi chi
chi chi
Reply to  Robin Nicole

+ 1 and LOL at your last line!!!

Celene
Celene

I’ve heard some real horror stories about weave to be honest. To each his own, but I wouldn’t spend a ton of money on hair that’s not mine (I second one of the previous comment about “human hair being creepy”. I’ve never thought of it that way before… But I agree) Wigs… I’m not a fan of wigs for me personally but some people can rock them really well. I don’t think I’m one of them (but, never say never I guess).

merry
merry

no weave for me

Shay
Shay

hate weave with a passion…lol..I just do…sorry…lol. I aint me. am not apart of the natural hair popo..so do you!! But I have never been able to wear it…

Starla
Starla

Never had a weave and probably never will. I wear wigs, or ponytails on days when nothing seems to go right hair wise, and I start getting frustrated.

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

Weaves are a great protective style, ecspecially for my edges & ecspecially in the winter. Anytime, I take a weave out my hair has grown like CRAZY! Weaves are alright with me!

CandyceNoelle
CandyceNoelle
Reply to  Amma Mama

I second that!

Risa
Risa
Reply to  CandyceNoelle

Alicia
Alicia

I’m in that dreaded in-between stage, too long for TWA, not quite SL. I’m in a wedding in November, so I’m thinking about wearing a wig as a protective style. I have fine hair so my two-strand twists look very scalpy. I think if you take proper care of your hair underneath the wig/weave there’s no problem.

Kris
Kris

I wear weaves all the time. I experience the most growth with them. My friends on the other hand do not understand why I don’t wear my natural hair as often as they do, but everyone has their preferences and reasons for specific hair choices.

alyse
alyse

the only thing that is keeping me from getting a weave is that i dont no how to maintain it and i want it to look realistic.

Najmah
Najmah

I wear a weave all winter and I love it! My hair grows quickly and retains length since it’s low manipulation and, although my weave is a kinky texture, it’s a hundred times less time consuming since my weave hair isn’t as precious to me as my real kinks are. I slather my weave with silicone based products, use heat on it and forcefully detangle– and it bounces back without missing a beat. It works for me and frankly? I don’t care what other folks have to say about it. The only person who has to live with what’s on my… Read more »

Rayna
Rayna
Reply to  Najmah

I so totally agree with everything you said. I was explaining that to someone recently. I can rip thru a weave with a comb, flat iron it every day, do all kinds of things I would never DREAM of doing to my hair. And Amen to your last statement…

Risa
Risa
Reply to  Rayna

🙂

Gloria
Reply to  Najmah

This is also why I can’t hate on celebs who wear wigs and weaves… They probably have to use heat on their hair every single day, and if they did all of that on their own hair, they would have hair that was way more damaged than your average chick’s. They can use and abuse weave hair as much as they want, and it’ll still look healthy.

janelle
janelle

I remember being in a workshop. I spotted another lady w/natural hair, and plotted a way to strike up a conversation b/c by GOD I finally found my hair twin, in person not just online. I told her I loved her hair, she was gracious, & w/a smile said sweetie this is a weave. Honestly, I did feel “a way”. Here I am working w/ this 3c +4c hair, learning what works what doesnt and my balloon was deflated quickly! I felt a little upset and I don’t know why because even though my hair was long when it was… Read more »

kisha
kisha
Reply to  janelle

lol

Monica
Monica

I worn cornrows with extensions the six months I transitioned in 2006. One of the reasons I ended up BCing sooner than I planned to was because it didn’t make sense to me to stop relaxing your hair to add someone else’s hair. For me, rocking natural hair is a declaration of independence from relaxers, hot combs, curling irons, wigs and weaves.

But I know the world is wide…

To each her own.

Destinee

I don’t see it as an issue as long as you take care of your hair underneath as well as the weave.

I personally attempted to wear a sew in as a protective style but my hair is super fragile and I ended up losing more hair than retaining, so its not an option for me anymore. I’d def do a wig though.

hehe
hehe

if you have fine hair which make up a huge chunk of women with afro-textured hair IMO it’s hard for weave to be protective style since the cotton thread is sewn into your hair.

Rayna
Rayna
Reply to  hehe

I agree…I have fine hair and I switched to silk thread first, now I get weaves using the net method, where they sew the track to the net, thereby sparing my hair…works great for me, but I cant leave it in as long because its much more difficult to take care of your own hair with the net over it… : (

Monzi
Monzi

I think the problem is the way our hair is part of identity. I’m known as the natural girl on campus, so when people see me, no matter how good my weave is, they know it’s a weave. Also, It’s hard to blend, because its hard to find the right texture, and if I want a straight weave I have to worry about heat damage so I just wonder if it’s worth

rsl
rsl
Reply to  Monzi

I was in a pickle over this for awhile…then I discovered top pieces. Do a little Google research…it’s a miracle. Can’t believe I’d not heard of it ’til recently. They’re your best friend should you decide to mess with the weave thing 🙂

Chelsea
Chelsea

Its all about the bohyme brazilian wave weave! I dont have to put heat on my hair to make it match! I transitioned with straight weaves and had some heat damage on my edges but now I’m all good to go!

Rayna
Rayna
Reply to  Chelsea

YES!!!! I LOVE that stuff!!! It’s amazing

Cosmolude
Cosmolude

I wore weaves almost all the time before I went natural but now I just don’t feel like wearing them anymore. I had crochet braids when I was letting my hair grow out and when I was frustrated with my hair, but I hated the compliments I was getting about my hair. The compliments weren’t about the style necessarily; just how my hair looked “better” and I should keep it that way. I probably wouldn’t wear wigs or weaves anymore. I don’t care if someone else uses them for protective styles.

JasmineZakiya
JasmineZakiya

I’ve alway’s adopted the mind set that this natural movement was about irradicating that whole self hate seed in our community. Once that is done, I don’t really see the significance of boxing out hair practices such as weaving, as long as they’re not compromising the integrity of the hair underneath. It takes alot of work, but when the chips all fall down, it really is just hair. 🙂 That being said, I LOVES a good weave. It’s like an artform when it’s done right, just like good make up! It’s really beautiful to me. I swear my stylist is a craftsman,… Read more »

JJ
JJ

I’m considering getting a wig as a protective style: weaves don’t give you easy access to moisturise.

CandyceNoelle
CandyceNoelle

I had a great experience with my first sew in over last Winter. The weather in Chicago breaks my hair in the winter so I used the weave as a protector. My stylist told me everything she was doing during the installation…she braided my hair with Shea butter and sewed a net over the braids as a barrier between my hair and the wefts. She also added in braiding hair so the tension from the thread wouldn’t pull on my hair too much. It was amazing! My hair grew beautifully in those 2.5 months. I’m actually getting another one next… Read more »

T. Terry
T. Terry
Reply to  CandyceNoelle

So this inspired me because I am getting a sew-in as a protective style at the end of the week. My question is if I cover my hair with a net so that the weave can be sewn onto the net, how do I take care of my hair if it is under the net? I will be natural for three years in September. I wear my natural hair out occasionally but usually rock it straight for the most part. It hasn’t been until the last couple of weeks that I’ve noticed my hair isn’t as thick as it used to… Read more »

pinkgirlfluff
pinkgirlfluff

Team weave-a-diva right here! I love my hair but being natural doesn’t change how I am and I get bored. I would rather put a weave in and leave it be for a few weeks than do something drastic to my own hair just for the sake of change. I’m really considering trying wigs for fun.

boho.barbie
boho.barbie

sorry fake hair creeps me out…no can do!

Von
Von

I’ve never worn a weave and don’t intend to ever wear one in my life. I just don’t like the way they look. I know many ladies have numerous techniques which they feel makes their weaves look more real. But to me a weave just looks like a weave. I just don’t like that fake look e.g. fake hair, acrylic nails etc. It just isn’t for me. In addition, they seem to do more harm than good. It seems to damage a lot of ladies hairline.

Zoopath
Zoopath
Reply to  Von

LEX
LEX
Reply to  Von

So your telling me you can tell when Solange where’s that blown out afro that that’s a weave?

mangomadness
mangomadness

I’m not a fan of extensions, weaves or wigs–protective style or not. I’ve worn extensions in the past but the styles I wore can be easily achieved with my natural hair (cornrows, single braids, kinky twists). I’ve never worn a weave or wig.

With that said, everyone should feel free to do as they please with their hair. My only hope is that folks take care of their real hair while it’s tucked away under the extentions, weave or wig.

zyaran
zyaran

I did a weave once years ago and will never ever do that again. My scalp hurt from being braided to tight, and then having the sewin done yuck major headache. After getting it done I was not a happy camper and wanted it taken out immediately, needless to say it was only in my hair for 2 days and it was taken out. I’ve seen some wigs that I’m thinking about trying esp. the Beshe wig called Drew. But I’m also gonna start blowdrying my hair once a month like Longhairdontcare “YT” esp. to help keep down the tangles… Read more »

Tonya Juanise
Tonya Juanise

I don’t have a problem with weaves but for me they are just not my best friend. I dont know how some women do it but after a while I feel like I’m ready to rip the hair out of my head and go back to my natural locks. If I ever did decide to do a weave again, I would of course get a natural looking weave because I dont think I look right with long, bone straight hair. I never did, even when I was relaxed I wore my hair short. So I think for me, if a… Read more »

Fatty B.

i’ve been getting bored with my twa lately & craving length. i thought i would get some twists installed, but opted for a curly wig instead. i prefer them to weaves. there is less stress on my hair/hairline & i can easily go back to my own hair.

Kimberly
Kimberly

uh, no. good weaves and weaveologists are expensive which is why i don’t embrace them.

lulu
lulu

Although I once was a weave queen, I probably wont get a weave anymore unless its a full weave and I have already fallen in love with “LaJay” the wig and as of right now I have these poetic justice braids. In other words I completely embrace weaves and wigs, just as long your hair gets its proper TLC. Ill take the side-line ho any day hahaha

Maha
Maha

I will get braids before a weave for some reason.… Not to say that I don’t wear weave… I do. I just feel phony when I wear it. Coming to school/work one way an then another way the next… Like someone said before, I don’t like the compliments I get from others when I wear Fake hair… Why would you love my fake hair? lol I don’t mind if other naturals wear weave though… I feel that it is great for transitioners. And nothing pisses me off More than to see, black woman buy a bad hairstyle!!! You may feel… Read more »

CarmelStacks
CarmelStacks

I don’t do weaves or wigs but kinky twists are my side chick. I wear them when I want to give my true love a break from all that I do to her.

Phedra
Phedra

There are so many options for extensions now. Unfortunately they are quite expensive. After the perm the caused me to go natural b/c it broke my hair so bad, I used sew in weaves until my hair grew to shoulder length. Because I knew how to do them myself, I would invest in virgin hair (I could reuse it for a whole year). I washed my hair with the weave once a week and used oils on my scalp. I never sewed the wefts too tight and I was still able to apply conditioner to my cornrowed hair. I never… Read more »

CandyceNoelle
CandyceNoelle
Reply to  Phedra

Yesssss. Beautiful response! I agree totally

intelligentblackbeautiful
intelligentblackbeautiful

I don’t like weaves and wigs for myself but will and am currently rocking some kinky twists with synthetic hair as we speak…I used to love micros when i was relaxed but my natural hair is super curly and after week 1 my roots looked like they were trying to jump ship from the braid…but I’m all about protective styling to give me a break. I’ve only been natural about 11 months(Sunday will make 11 months), but my hair is so thick that doing even the simplest of two strand twists takes me 2–3 hrs to do…my hair isn’t very… Read more »

Andrea
Andrea

After 4 yrs of falling in love with my natural hair, the last thing I want to do is slap a straight sterotypical weave on so I can look like a clone of the next chick. I’m sure I’m not alone in this sentiment. So when it comes to kinky curly textured weaves, wigs and extentions, I think we naturals would be more encouraged to use weaves as a protective style if there were more kinky weave OPTIONS (color, texture, and ESPECIALLY length) for purchase. Color and texture are extremely important to the believability of the weave and I know… Read more »

yoli

Before I started locing, I would wear Senegalese twists and micro brads (Senegalese twists »> micro braids), which were weaves, but that was it. The few times I did switch up with loose hair weave (not sure how to describe it, lol) I hated it. Made my face look flat, didn’t fit, itchy, etc.

anon
anon

We can admit there are differences between protective styling weaves and weaves that people rely on while neglecting their hair underneath or never letting their hair be it relaxed or natural, see the light of day. Isn’t the latter the majority of weave wearers? Whenever it comes up people defensively jump up and throw around the words ‘style choice’, ‘xyz people do it too’, ‘it’s protective’ and other protestations yet here we are on a blog that celebrates natural hair and real hair in general and showcases the beauty of and our pride in it. Nobody is worried about those… Read more »

sinny
sinny

100% natural and loving it and I love a good weave from time to time. 🙂

EbonyLolita

I’ve always worn weaves & I continue to do so. Since going natural almost 1yr ago. I decided that instead of leaving a lil hair out in the front I would now have to do a full head weave. I get my hair braided but sew in my weave myself. I use a net at the top & do invisible weaving in the front so it looks like I have a part in the middle. I never understood the whole natural movement that wags their finger at weaves. I do what I want WHEN I want w/MY hair. Ya’ll should… Read more »

CreoleAphrodite
CreoleAphrodite

Love love love my natural hair…lol ad i LOVE love love my wigs!..I used to do weaves when I relaxed but now that I’m natural and my hair needs more attention I just wig it uP..I mostly do it bc I get bored and I want to try something new and different. I get an urge to go super long and straight…then yes I get a wig and braid my hair down and sew the wig in certain places, while leave the rest open so I can moisturize effectively. Two weeks ago I wanted to go out, so i bought… Read more »

CreoleAphrodite
CreoleAphrodite

about it not being my hair I meant..;-)

CreoleAphrodite
CreoleAphrodite

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/pic.jpg[/img]
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/267675_246914101989345_100000122723082_1202415_1667861_n.jpg[/img]
same half wig.…two different nights..excuse the tired,sweaty, after club glow lol 😉

Come on People
Come on People

ok, so what is the name of this wig, i need that…lol

misshunniebee

I LOVE my natural hair, but I like the versatility of weaves. Instead of putting excess heat to my hair to achieve a different look, I’ll get a sew-in. I’m not really against flat-ironing either, just anything in excess. As long as you care for your hair underneath, you’ll be fine.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMG00256-20101123–1038.jpg[/img]
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/wetnwavy.jpg[/img]
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMG01127-20110524–0901.jpg[/img]

Nadejah

I am NOT ashamed to say that I will be getting a weave as a protective style soon. It will also be my go to when I desire straight hair. I am scared of heat damage to my natural tresses! Any tips on how to care for my scalp/new growth ladies?

Moi
Moi

Do you, blah, blah, blah.….……”

The self-hatred continues.

Bethany
Bethany

I don’t do weaves. I hate the way fake hair looks, and after watching Good Hair I have become morally opposed to wearing real hair. That being said, I have a friend who wore kinky braids for a while and they looked super cute on her. However, as cute as they were, it was obvious that it wasn’t her real hair and that bugs me for my own personal style. I’m pretty sure that my hair would grow well with a weave or a wig. During my teens I wore braids a lot and my hair would grow well. But… Read more »

Come on People
Come on People

I am not against weave wearers. I know i have a hard time wearing braids so i know that getting a sew-in would not work for me. I have purchased the mane clip and that thing is awesome.

AishaSaidIt

I’m not against it. I don’t do it because my scalp does not like it and I don’t like the constaint I feel under it. Whew my hair is a complete mess after the take down. But it’s good for those who know how to take care of their hair under the weave.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Just removed a weave after 5 weeks and my front is gone. Perhaps the braid was too tight for the front, but will never do it again. Prefer wigs, braids or other protective styles.

Whitney J.
Whitney J.

I was wondering this question myself. I was looking to get a protective style so I can grow my hair out. However, I noticed with the weave there is always alot of damage particularly around the hairline. My edges after 6 months just grew back.

Leo the Yardie Chick
Leo the Yardie Chick

I’m only against weaves (for me!) because I know my scalp would hate it. Not to mention my hairline. The slightest pressure on those hairs, and it’s White Bulb City.

dunksYdunkers

I incorporate weaves into my regimen when I get bored or in a mood with my hair. The lesson I learnt going in is to moisturise moisture. It is one of the best things I can ever do for my hair. I only leave it in for about 5 or so weeks at a time but it is a fantastic protective style. I am adamant at the hairdressers as well. I wash, condition and cool dry my hair straight myself. I don’t allow them to place any heat on my hair, and if the cane rows are too tight I… Read more »

Jameka
Jameka

I think that wigs are a better option than weaves, however, I don’t see the problem with either, as they can have benefits. 1) I have a straight weave that I wear whenever I get the itch to straighten my hair. I get the satisifaction of having straightened hair for a week or so, without risking heat damage. 2) I mainly wear a curly wig that looks exactly like my natural texture. However, it allows my hair to grow better as it serves as a protective style. I take it off every night and wash as I regularly would. WIN… Read more »

Brittany
Reply to  Jameka

I love, love, love this idea! Soooooo stealing it! =]

Brittany

The Notorious ZAG

I do not do weaves; a few years ago, a “friend” braided my hair very tightly… and I thought it would loosen up after a few days, but such was not the case. In the middle of the 3rd or 4th night,I ended up cutting the braids on my neck off at the root, because I couldn’t bear the pain any more. So… I can imagine getting a weave on top of some braids: NOT THANK YOU!!
But I do wear wigs and ponytails, and swear that it has helped my hair grow as a protective style.

Lyn
Lyn

Not this natural! 😉

I would not wear a sew-in weave, because I’ve only gotten it once, and while trying to take it out (myself), I cut a chunk of hair out of my hair. Not happy! SO … I would much rather wear wigs! And I would love to have the one that Teyanna Taylor has!

Jack
Jack

I just don’t want to do anything that would return me back to my old mindset…I don’t want anything that takes me away from seeing and accepting my hair/self as is. My relaxer days were dark days for me and it’s something I still struggle with.

This is just me and my experience and I’m only speaking for/about myself.

Besides that, weave is expensive, and time consuming, and I don’t trust other people with my hair…plus I can always tell when a girls is wearing a weave…she’s beating the top of her head ’cause her tracks are itching. 🙁

Rochel
Rochel

I love getting weaves (sew-ins) as a protective style in the winter. I have found quality hair that matches my natural texture and helps me avoiding having to straighten my hair so that the textures blend. I moisturize my hair underneath and use dry shampoo on my scalp to prevent buildup. I never have my hair around my hair line braided and I make sure I moisturize my hairline and the hair that is out twice a day. I make sure the braids are not tight, usually if I can stick my finger underneath the braid and feel my scalp… Read more »

Keisha
Keisha

I proudly rock a weave…I have good hair, so there is no shame in it! I mainly do it because of laziness, my hair is natural and because my job is so demanding on time as well as image, i find it very time consuming to maintain the frizziness everyday. I also do it for protection, I find my hair grows faster, when its not messed with everyday with heavy moisturizing products and heat stylying equip. At the moment I do not have a weave in, giving my hair a breather and flaunting my natural style. I came across this website… Read more »

Angie
Angie

The one time I got extensions, I nearly died over how heavy it was, let alone entire weaves. I got a headache from the heaviness. I have a lot of hair and it is nowhere near as heavy as synthetic hair. That can’t be good for your scalp…

sapphyre1120
sapphyre1120
Reply to  Angie

Whoever put your weave in didn’t do it properly if this is what resulted.

Darline
Darline

I LOVE weaves (full not partial)

If you do it right, you will not have issues with your hairline getting damaged. I part the hair, use a spritz bottle to spray my moisturizer & I’m good to go!  I wear wavy weaves (more realistic then straight) and I wear weaves from Nov-April (washing & redoing in between). When I take it out, I have so much growth & thickness! 😉

April
April

I don’t see why anyone would be against it. If anyone one decides to rock a weave or any other hair additions for protective style, so be it.

People make the biggest issue out of the smallest things.

Satijo

I am against weaves and wigs in a way because I see it as a way of trying to conform. For instance, I know naturals that have decent length of hair that never show it. If you are not trying to hide who you are then fine, but if you are I think that you should work on that.

Nickie
Nickie

Weaaves are a personal choice, whether relaxed or natural some people simply don’t like natural hair. In addition to that some Naturals feel as if a weave is the side chick, because it goes against everything natural. If that makes sense. I have yet to wear a weave or braids because I’m afraid of breakage at the hands of a stylist who’s is unconcerned with hair care, but I’m not against them. I have however worn wigs.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/MeMeMe.jpg[/img]

Nickie
Nickie
Reply to  Nickie

Corrections — *Weaves* Some people simply do not like weaves (fake hair).

Lavinia Gass-Johnson
Lavinia Gass-Johnson

I am currently wearing a sewn-in weave. It has been in almost 8 weeks and I am restarting the process in a few days. I have not had a sewn-in weave in 7 years and I was apprehensive about damage. I did receive some flack from other naturals; but, it;s my hair and my money. So, I can care less. I did however, go to the salon every 2 weeks to have it washed and maintained. I also moisturized it daily as usual. I do love the convenience of the weave; however, it is costly. But, when I calculated the cost of… Read more »

Charlese
Charlese

Not. For. Me.

braids, weaves, whatever make my scalp itch (human hair or synthetic — it doesn’t matter). plus, part of the reason i went natural is to embrace my natural texture (part of a whole self-acceptance kick i’m on) so a wig or a weave would be disingenuous for me. and finally, a weave would just give me an opportunity to be really lazy with my haircare. the last time i wore braids i didnt moisturize enough and my hair took weeks to regain moisture.

but i don’t begrudge others. it’s your thang, do what you wanna do!

pisanie programów

Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

Briana
Briana

Hello Ladies, MY name is Briana and I’m searching around for information to help me out before I make a decision..to go natural. I’m VERY NEW to the natural process..but I’m not new to the weaves and wigs. LOL..i love wearing them things…lol..but I also loved my relaxers and now I’ve had it. I’m tired of the damage, and the uncomfortable feelings i get…i want my hair back to its state where it was growing long and healthy. (before relaxers) unfortunately, as children we can’t control what our parents do to our hair..but as I got older…i’ve noticed its time… Read more »

Tyler

I don’t have a problem with weaves, I just don’t think it makes sense to call it “natural hair.” In what sense can you call hair that isn’t yours at all “natural”??

Marion
Marion

I dont like the sew in I sweat to much I dont consider it a protective style seen way too much damage caused by weaves glued and sewn in or worn way too long I perfer to use wigs.

Hannah
Hannah

I used a pixie style weave cap for 4 months and my hair grew 3 & 1/2 inches during that period. The weave cap was amazing as it had a plastic underlayer that steamed my hair all day long. This proved excellent for my hair and scalp as it enabled me to maintain moisture. The benefites of the weave cap is that you can take it off every evening and allow your hair to breathe. My hair would be in canerows underneath and I would wash and treat my hair every two weeks. After 5 months of no weave cap,… Read more »

Celine
Celine

I don’t wear sew-ins or wigs anymore because it took me having to let go of all of it to even go natural in the first place. I just feel like what’s the point in going back to something that had you bound in the first place?? For protective styles I stick to marley hair extensions/styles which at least has the appearance of what my natural hair looks like. I’m staying away from crochet as well because I feel like its very quickly going down the weave path to just becoming the same exact thing but different application.