April // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Dec 6, 2010

Where do you live?
A:
I live in Columbia, MD but I was born in upstate NY and raised in Northern, NJ. I work for an IT telecommunication company.

Why did you go natural?
A:
This is my 3rd time going natural. I decided to go natural again because there are a lot more products and information on caring for natural hair these days and I was tired of perming my hair. I transitioned about 2 years ago wearing mostly hair weaves. I decided in May this year to start wearing my own hair out. The picture of me with the purple shirt is the first time I wore my own hair out and I loved it.

I think being natural has taught me to be more patient. I noticed that I am more confident with my hair. I actually enjoy doing my hair now. I love standing out from most women. I seem to get more compliments now than when I had a relaxer.

How would you describe your hair?
A:
Currently my hair is just below bra strap length. It is very coarse and thick and likes to shrink a lot. It definitely requires a lot of patience.

What’s your regimen?
A:
My current regimen is pretty simple because I don’t touch my hair too much. I wash my hair probably every 3–4 weeks. I noticed that the longer I go without washing my hair the faster it grows. I use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration and Lafier Honey and Almonds Conditioner to co-wash my hair when I feel it’s “dirty” enough. Once a month I wash and deep condition with a conditioner of my choice. I use Darcy’s Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Cream for a moisturizer then add Elasta QP Gel with Olive Oil or Fantasia Thick N Shine Gel for wash n go or twist outs. I prefer to use Fantasia more often because it holds my thick hair better than most gels. Sometimes I use Carol’s daughter Hair Milk all over my hair instead of my Darcy’s Botanical Vanilla cream. There are several different hair products that I occasionally switch between. My other favorite moisturizer is Carol’s Daughter Hair Balm.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
A:
I learned to section my hair off in the shower before I wash it. I also figured out that I can not use the Denman brush on my hair. I noticed that it pulls my hair out. Keeping my hands out of my hair and low manipulation hair do’s works for me.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
A:
Water water water! My hair is so much easier to manage if I just add water. I also think that a good moisturizer and low manipulation hair styles do wonders on my hair.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
I have a blog called sweetenchantments.net.

Anything else you want to add?
A:
The best thing about being natural is that I can change my hairstyle in so many ways. Natural hair is so versatile. Even when I wake up and my hair is having a bad day I just wet, twist, pin and voila perfect hair. I always get compliments from people. It makes me feel good when I can walk out and just be me and still beautiful.

I used to be natural 10 years ago but my hair started growing out like crazy and I did not know what to do with it or what products to use, so unfortunately I took the easy way out and I permed it. I wish this site was around about 10 years ago because if so the thought of perming my hair would have never came to mind. Sites like this have really helped me throughout my hair journey.

Hyspin
Hyspin

Your hair looks lovely but honestly 3–4 weeks without washing how do you do that doesn’t itch, smell funny or have major product build up buy time you wash it? If you figured away to get around those issue I would love to learn. I trying to be sponge these take in as much as possible to open mind and options so honestly let me know.

JessJ

Beautiful curls!!! I’m utterly afraid of growing out my hair and having to detangle it all–your hair gave me both joy and fear LOL

trackback

[…] as I did? Well…maybe not.  I was recently reading Black Girl, Long Hair, and came across THIS post, now you’ll notice that her hair is gorg, but I dunno if I ever want that much hair. […]

Shones

April — Lovely! I agree with what you said about how different things would have been if we had sites like BGLH 10 years ago. I always thought “natural” meant little afro or locs, and didn’t much consider everything in between. @Hyspin, not sure how true this is, but when i was loc’ed stylists told me that your skin responds to what you do to it, making more oil if you wash frequently and less oil when you wash infrequently. I was loc’ed for almost 8 years total, and often washed only once a month. I didn’t have any issues… Read more »

predestined010
predestined010

I Love your hair keeps me inspired to keep growing my hair out

Ladybug
Ladybug

Love the article and your hair is beautiful.
I wish when I went natural 7 years ago that they had blogs such as these that I could have turned to when I went natural it would have saved me some issues that I had with my hair, but now I think my hair is on the right track.
I thought I was the only one that could go a long time without washing my hair. Since I have been natural my hair does not itch like when I had a relaxer.
Thanks for sharing

Rachel

I also posted on your blog, but have another comment 🙂 .… I also will go 3–4 weeks (or sometimes longer) without washing my hair, and I have NO issues. I think it’s because I use mostly all organic or natural products, so there’s usually not a lot of build up that I need to wash out. Plus, washing can dry out my hair a lot, and that’s no fun. As an alternative to washing, I sometimes use a Bentonite Clay Mask. You should try it!

TAB
TAB

3 pretty heads of hair in a row (London, Nairobi and Columbia, Maryland)! Monday’s style icons were right on time — I’ve reached a meh point in my hair journey. Thanks, April (and BGLH), for sharing.

E
E

Well check miss thing here and the chesire like grin :),knowing that she is looking all sexy in the pictures. You have done a great job in taking care of your hair, and it really does show. I love the picture with the puff style, it’s so fluffy that you can use your own hair as a pillow j/k. Whatever skin regime you’re doing is working because it is so flawless, care to share some of your secrets? You should do an interview with Curlynikki hairsite as well, the women would love to hear your story.

shez
shez

cuteness, april!

binks
binks

Your hair is lovely, you took great care of it and it shows. Looking good girlie

Tadrea
Tadrea

Gorgeous hair ! But really I couldn’t imagine wash my hair once in a month, I would certainly be afraid of the smell…

Durelene

I am drooling with hair envy..wow your hair is absolutely gorgeous!!!

iri9109
iri9109

her hair is gorgeous…it kinda reminds me of mine a lil bit (esp the last pic) and i would love 4 mine to look like that when it grows out

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

Sooo pretty!

Princess mop top
Princess mop top

Pretty girl,gorgeous hair!

Anonymous
Anonymous

I noticed that the longer I go without washing my hair the faster it grows.”

Washing your hair infrequently does not make it grow any faster. That is a myth that does not need to be perpetuated.

MikaMe
MikaMe

WOW! Anonymous, the reason why this page is a blog spot is to say what u have to say freely and I totally understand that what u said is ur opinion. However, whatever she said works for her! You see how long her hair is?? It works. If it doesn’t work for u then that’s fine but it’s obviously working for her… April your hair is gorgeous! i cant wait until my hair is gets to that length. My hair type looks extremely similar so ill try some of ur techniques to see if any works for me! Keep the beauty… Read more »

Didi
Didi

Who would accept to wear the same jumper 4 weeks in a row without washing it ? I don’t want to sound offensive but water shoudn’t be your ennemy… At least one could co-wash once a week…

Anonymous
Anonymous

E
E

There is nothing wrong in not washing your hair except maybe once or twice a month, each persons body chemistry is different. Also, when I had my locs in my hair for 5yrs(MBL) by the way I only washed my hair once or twice. It never stank and I was always able to maintain my hairstyle w/o continously being at the hair salon every 2 weeks getting a retounch on it. So do what makes you comfortable, and if you’re not then just get some shampoo and put it into a oil bottle with a pouring cap and dry wash… Read more »

April

Thank you Ladies! If my hair stunk after a month of not washing it I definitely wouldn’t be doing it. My regime has always worked for me and I am sticking to it regardless. Like E said it depends on your body chemistry. @ MikaMe if you try my techniques I would love to know the outcome. Thank you for all your lovely compliments ladies 🙂

MikaMe
MikaMe

NO PROBLEM HUNI! and will do. Im in baltimore..isnt MD Freezing!! BUUURRRRR (sorry i know its not a hair comment) but my scalpe is extra extra dry due to it!ugh!!

Chela J.
Chela J.

Beautiful Hair! I love in Columbia also! #ColumbiaNaturals! lol

April

@MikaMe,Bmore? Cool! And yes it is freezing. My scalp has recently been getting dry too! @Chela thanks neighbor 🙂

Torae
Torae

@anonymous?? did she say she didn’t co-wash or condition it her hair? You don’t need shampoo to wash your hair. you’re just a HATER!!!! Lets see what your hair looks like, how long it is, and how healthy it looks????? April’s hair is one of the healthiest heads of hair I’ve seen in a long time!!!

I Come in Peace
I Come in Peace

April said “I noticed that the longer I go without washing my hair the faster it grows.” The fact is–washing your hair less often does NOT make it grow any faster. I do not think that the commenters in question were insulting April or her hair. I think they were just pointing out the falacy of her statement–She implied that not washing her hair makes it grow faster. We all know that isn’t true. Why is it “hating” if you stick to the facts? *shrugs* Also, length does NOT imply health. Health–with relation to hair–has nothing to do with length.… Read more »

Huh?
Huh?

@I Come In Peace… I don’t think April is saying that the witholding of water & cleansers from her hair is what makes it grow. For many naturals washing — even under the best of circumstances — comes with tangling and the stripping of the hair shaft. I know that’s the case for me, which is why I don’t wash — or even co-wash — often. And I can’t even use “sulfate-free” shampoos… because even those are waaay too harsh. I took her statement to mean that by keeping her hair coated, instead of stripping it with cleansers & water, it is… Read more »

RAHNI
RAHNI
Reply to  Huh?

I AGREE I AM THE SAME WAY WHEN I WAIT AWHILE TO WASH MY HAIR RETAINS LENGTH AND GROWS VERSUS ME WASHING AND CO-WASHING FREQUENTLY. MY HAIR RESPONDS BETTER WHEN I KEEP MY HANDS OUT OF IT. IN MY OPINION AND HOW MY HAIR IS I DONT SEE THE NEED TO CO-WASH EVERY OTHER DAY OR EVERY THREE DAYS MY HAIR DOESNT REQUIRE THAT

April

I really don’t understand why people feel the need to correct me anyway when they are not living my life everyday. When I said it grows faster it was based on my past experiences with “my” hair. I know what works and I know what does not work on my hair. Growing up as a child with two sisters with heads full of hair,my mom probably washed our hair once every 2 months and that was a job in itself. Our hair was very long and thick. Mine was about waist length. My hair styles as a child were very… Read more »

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

WELL I DON’T THINK NOT WASHING YOUR HAIR MUCH MAKES IT GROW FASTER. PROTECTIVE STYLING AND MOISTURE HELPS RETAIN LENGTH. WITH THAT BEING SAID APRIL’S HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL. SHE HAS HER OWN REGIMEN THAT WORKS FOR HER

trackback