Aevin // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Nov 1, 2010

A photo of Aevin’s gorgeous, humongous fro (posted Friday) set off a comments firestorm and several requests for her regimen. So here it is! Updated with her responses about people’s reactions to her hair.

Where do you live?
A:
I live in Reserve, La. Which is about 25 miles outside of New Orleans La. I rep New Orleans of course!!! I work in a family business, helping women with developmental disabilities

Why did you go natural?
A:
Honestly I got tired of the chemicals, the chemical burns, the breakage, etc!!! I went natural in 1999. I decided to stop getting perms and just let my hair grow. I would get it braided, or set it on rods then pull my curls aloose with a little pink lotion and it would look like it was natural. Finally one day I went to set my hair and decided that I was comfortable enough to cut the permed ends off and I started chopping. Best moment ever!!!!

When I first did it, I got ALOT of crazy looks. Family, friends and strangers were in shock. I would get questions like “Why do you want to wear your hair nappy?” Of course I was proud of MY hair and would ignore the negative and embrace the positive.

What kinds of reactions do you get to your hair? What’s the CRAZIEST reaction you’ve gotten to your hair?
A:
Lol, I get everything from pointing to people yelling from across the street “Is that ALL your hair”!! Recently this girl was so amazed by my hair that she kept yelling ” Oh my God, your hair is (explicit word) AWESOME, just (explicit word) AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She just kept walking back and forth yelling it.

Do you feel that other black people appreciate how amazing your hair is?
A:
For the most part yes they do, but there are still some who look at my fro as if it’s the “black plague”!!!! Either way I’m proud of my hair, wouldn’t change a thing!!!

How would you describe your hair?
A:
I would described my hair as kinky, somewhat thick strands, dense and VERY POROUS

What’s your regimen?
A:
Up until recently I pretty much used Pantene and Dove, but have recently added Aussie and Garnier Fructis to the mix. I use Pantene Nature Fusion Moisture Balance, Moisture Renewal, Beautiful Lengths, Fragile to strong, Dry to Moisturized, Dove Intense Moisture, Aussie Moist, And Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, Fortifying and Sleek and Shine.

As far as my regimen goes I wash with Suave Clarifying shampoo, then follow with Suave Almond and Shea Butter, and Garnier Fructis Triple nutrition shampoo, (I mix them together.) I recently started doing an apple cider vinegar rinse at the end, which I find very effective. Then I mix a little of all those conditioners I named (in the first paragraph) and apply them to my hair. Most of the time I will style my hair with the conditioner in it. During the week I usually like to put my hair in a protective style like 1 french braid, or a donut bun, maybe 2 french braids, etc. By Thursday, I double strand twist it and then wear it loose in a twist out for the weekend!!!

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
A:
I learned that I don’t need as much oil on my hair as I thought, the conditioner during the week helps with that ALOT. I also learned to not take my hair for granted and not let just anybody get in it.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
A:
Probably letting conditioner stay in it during the week. I’ve done it for so long that I rarely have to put any kind of moisturizer in it.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
My friend Nyesha and I started a website called www.afromaniacs.com, where you find everything from hair to make up, skin care, children’s hair care, locs and even a little poetry.

Anything else you want to add?
A:
I would just like to thank BGLH for even asking me to do an interview and I’d like to thank everyone for their compliments and words of encouragement about my BAA (big ass afro)!!!

Pamela

Avein I love your hair!!! I is so Fromazing! You are my inspiration of where I know my hair will be! I am just a toddler in this natural world (3years natural) and I look forward to more length an BIGNESS!!!

Joanne
Joanne

(drools)
[talking to myself] one day Joanne, one day!

her fro’ is the definition of FIERCE !

Pamela

Avein I love your hair!!! It is so Fromazing! You are my inspiration of where I know my hair will be! I am just a toddler in this natural world (3years natural) and I look forward to more length an BIGNESS!!!

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

All I can say is WOW.
Just WOW 🙂

tdub
tdub

Oh my gosh! hair envy. Inspired on soo many levels! Beautiful Big Ass Afro! I love it! Love Love Love! im only 6 months in after my BC. I love my afro now! I cant wait to get to that 11 year afro!

Tamika Francis
Tamika Francis

you’ve made my day…

NappyKitchen
NappyKitchen

I am glad to see images of black women with big beautiful hair but sometimes I get sad. Sometimes I feel like no matter what I do, I will never get there. Its lovely but sometimes it is disheatening.

Fearce Diva

lovely!!

ashley marie
ashley marie

amazing! her hair is gorgeous!

Ain't I an African
Ain't I an African

AMAAAAAZING!!!! I would have automatically assumed that was a wig.

Tiffany

OMG, her hair is gorgeous.

Peace, Love and Chocolate
Tiffany

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Koils By Nature, Black Girl Long Hair. Black Girl Long Hair said: Aevin dishes on her BAA (big ass afro) regimen http://bglhonline.com/2010/11/aevin/ #naturalhair […]

Loving the natural look
Loving the natural look

NappyKitchen, do not get discouraged. You will have to find what works best for your hair. It takes a lot of experimenting and unfortunately you have to go through a lot of products, but you will get there.

Loving the natural look
Loving the natural look

BTW Aevin, eventhough I don’t wear the fro I am so happy that you talked me into going natural. I love my hair and I will never go back to chemicals. It is because of you that 90% of the women in our family are now natural…Love ya

vonnie

such gorgeous hair, great interview! rock on girly

Keisha
Keisha

Faaabulous daaaah-ling!! I love it! And the simplicity of your regimen is what’s inspiring to me. I’ve narrowed mine down, but yours is what it is, and nothing more.
Keep us inspired!!

Jessica
Jessica

Amazing Hair. Amazing attitude.

Amanda

OMG…Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!!

lina40

just freaking awesome– i dont curse, but i see why some people would! You are beautiful and the hair is just breathtaking!

BrownSugahChild

Conditioner and Moisturizer is the key!!! i need to go back to my old habits and pull out my bottles of conditner!!! LOL!
I love your hair, absolutely beautiful. I do have one question: Do you ever trim your hair or just let your hair go with the flow?

afroshiek
afroshiek

Thank you all for the compliments!!! @BrownSugahChild.…I do get my ends trimmed about 2 maybe 3 times a year. I blow dry it, then press it with a ceramic iron, then let my mother trim the very ends with a pair of good scissors. That’s about it.
@ Loving the Natural Look.… Love you too cousin!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

MommieDearest
MommieDearest

Wow. Very rarely do I have hair envy, and this is one of those moments. Your hair is absolutely frolicious!! You GO girl!

Yonnie
Yonnie

Yes this for is gorgeous and something to aspire to. Where can we see some pics of your hair in some of the protective styles? Isn’t it a hassle to detangle after wearing it out for the weekend?

Yonnie
Yonnie

Nevermind. I checked the website. Lots of hairstyles and how to’s. Thanks!

am
am

i love that you’re so low maintenance…very inspirational indeed.

Lea
Lea

See this is the hair Princess Tiana should have had, big and bodacious to teach little girls that the fro is the way to go. I can imagine all the little Disney birds flying around her and singing as she walks. I’ve got 9 years and some change before my little fro looks half as good.

lika
lika

love it! beautiful hair, beautiful girl, & fabulous attitude!

NExpression

Oh wow, her hair is gorgeous! I absolutely love the thickness and volume. I never thought to leave conditioner in for such a long period, like a regular moisturiser. I find it makes my hair hard but I’m sure it depends upon which one you use.

Ceri
Ceri

BEAUTIFUL! Love it!! But how oh how do you detangle??

Diana
Diana

DOPE!!!!
that’s all…lol
FREAKING DOPE!

TAB
TAB

Truly lovely (both these pix and last Friday’s).

Dee
Dee

GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS HAIR, I admire your story, you went natural when more people frowned on natural hair than now so I commend you for that. afro is signature, but I would like to see pix of how your hair looks in other styles. Thanks for inspiring

Alta
Alta

Amazing, amazing. Your hair is fabulous and thanks to BGLH and you for bringing us this interview! It trips me out that you leave the conditioner in your hair for a week though. I never would have imagined!!! I’ll have to try that in the winter when I’m off from school (just in case something goes wrong). Lol.

Susie
Susie

That hair is the business!! Big thick healthy! Go girl!

jjayone
jjayone

Hi Aevin, I have to “ditto” what the girl you spoke of kept saying.…“Your Hair is (explicit word) Awesome !!!

patrice
patrice

Can you tell me how often you trim it? if at all.

jonette
jonette

I love to see others who have made it further along in their journey. It is truly an inspiration! I did my BC about two and a half years ago and I haven’t had a single regret. My goal is HUGE hair like this. Thanks so much for sharing =)

MrsCottonCurls
MrsCottonCurls

That hair is definitely FREAKIN AWESOME!!! You’re my new natural hair icon 🙂

Question…do you get it trimmed in that perfect circle, does it grow naturally like that, or is it sort of like a pat in place thing?

Pamela

I AM SOOOOO EXCITED to announce that Aevin Dugas The Guinness World Record owner of the world’s largest natural afro will be making her exclusive US Debut at Koils by Nature presents.….Natural is NOT a Fad Event!!!!!!

You will get to meet her & her afro in person!
Get your tickets NOW!

parisienne
parisienne
Reply to  Pamela

world record???? what about Ella Roger’s!

trackback

[…] she amazed the BGLH community back in November with her gorgeous fro, now she’s amazing the world! Aevin Dugas was recently recognized as […]

trackback

[…] Interviewed by: Black Girl with Long Hair […]

Monique
Monique

Daaamn !! I’m just BLOWN away . Keep it up , you rock !!

Knatural
Knatural

My puff aspires to be like your puff when she grows up!

Poimushemiole

It bloomed from an average $1.05 (per dollar of sales) to $1.22 for the qtr.Its downright icky. uggs canada Why Deckers Shares Could Jump In 2013I had a special case today, where I attended a community adult education program, where I was involved in the discussion and had some specific questions and sent followups with CZ links to three people. cheapest ugg boots Robert Clergerie Cutout sand wedge trunk provides not just elevation nonetheless the trendy current sustain out concerning the conventional trunk pattern and pattern too.I’m a bit surprised with that recent drop in short interest, especially with the… Read more »