Yaa // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • May 10, 2010

Yaa found BGLH via the Facebook fan page and added her photo to the fan album. It got such a great response that I asked her to come on the blog 🙂

“I have come across some black women who had my texture and said they couldn’t go natural because their hair wouldn’t grow. I have decided to make myself an example.”

Where do you live?
Y:
Right now I live in California (Bay area). I moved here last September for graduate school. I have also lived extensively in Illinois and Washington State. I am originally from Ghana, West Africa. I came to the United States about 15 years ago.

Why did you go natural?
Y:
This is a hard one because I do not remember the exact moment I made the decision to go natural. In Ghana, I usually had a short cut and I got my haircut every month. This is what most of the girls did there. I did have relaxed hair before that but the memories are very unpleasant. I remember getting sores in my scalp from the relaxer and a lot of shedding happening.

When I first came stateside, I did a lot of braids and I mostly pressed my hair. So even though I had natural hair all that while, I did not wear it out much.

How did you transition?
Y:
I’ve been wearing my hair natural on and off ever since I was 10. Over the past few years when I have been consciously aware of what it means to be natural, I have had many styles including locks, which I had for three years. But the style I have worn most in the past is a short cut or TWA. I would cut my hair every year and a half and then grow it back and then cut it again (I did this for a while after I cut my locks). I have been doing this for years. But recently over the past year, I have decided to let my hair grow out. This is because I have come across some black women who had my texture and said they couldn’t go natural because their hair wouldn’t grow. I have decided to make myself an example.

What’s your regimen?
Y:
I don’t wash my hair a lot. I conditioner wash every other week with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I wash my hair once a month with African black soap from Ghana. I moisturize my hair with 100% unrefined shea butter and olive oil. I will add coconut oil to my regimen soon.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
Y:
I used to blow dry my hair to stretch it out but I learned that my hair does not like heat. So now after I wash my hair, I wait for it to dry and then I part it into sections and then wind thread around each part and sleep in it. The next day, I unravel the thread and my hair will be stretched.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
Y:
Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
Y:
Yes, You can find me on my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/yaasoulrebel

Anything else you want to add?
Y:
I love this website!

Tanisha
Tanisha

Gorgeous Hair! My hair looks to be similar to yours. You are a great inspiration.

Yaa S. A
Yaa S. A

From one Thursday baby (Yaa) to another. GAAAwwwwwJuhs. Lovely lovely hair and complexion. Be blessed.

kechy

sister repping well for the Westies. your hair is gorgeous and please tell them that African hair in general is manageable. by the way I’m kechy from Nigeria.

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

SOOOO PRETTY and so MUCH hair! Go Black Star!

DaliSalvadorAde

Gorgeous hair! and such a beautiful woman! I too love it when I see more West African women rocking natural styles! Quick question!

Is your hair the same length all around? I’m getting pretty frustrated right now, because my hair has some serious length, but it’s not UNIFORM! The front of my head and the very back are longer than the middle. What styles do you like to wear most often?

nana yaa
nana yaa

Yay for all the Ghanian ladies! I <3 it. You’re hair s beautiful esp that first picture. I have been natural for two years now! My parents hate it but o well. I recently got my sister to BC and she uses thread as well! I am going to the Peace Corps soon so I think I will be discovering hte magic of a basic routine:shea butter+blacksoap. CAN’T WAIT

Diana
Diana

Ok…her hair and her skin!!!! freaking gorgeous!
Black is too beautiful.…

Tamera
Tamera

Lovely hair, lady! I have a question about the “threading” you mentioned — exactly what is that?

Dani
Dani

I really like that second picture–the black and white one. Very artistic.

trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Black Girl Long Hair. Black Girl Long Hair said: Yaa originally from Ghana, now living in NY. gorgeous #naturalhair http://bglhonline.com/2010/05/yaa/ […]

cassadie

love the profile! If you’re in the Bay Area— you should join our Bay Area Naturals meet up group! hit me up @ naturalhairselection@gmail.com and I’ll give you deets!

Yaa
Yaa

Hi y’all i am so moved by the great support and positive energy i have been getting from you. Thank you all so very much!

To DaliSalvadorAde: Yes my hair is pretty even all around it is a little longer on the sides and the very top but it is pretty even.

To Tamera: I can do a tutorial on my youtube page on the threading if you wish. Hit me up there and let me know 🙂

To Cassadie: Sure thing! I will send you an email…

LBell
LBell

I’m African-American but I’ve had people from Ghana say I look just like their little sister/cousin/in-law. 🙂

I have your texture as well and have grown it out and cut it repeatedly over the years. ALL hair grows…even ours! Thanks for sharing your story.

kadiane*francophone
kadiane*francophone

She has such a beautiful face !!

Tamera
Tamera

Yes, thank you, if you don’t mind! I’ve never heard the term except for when it comes to eyebrows. 🙂

Demetra
Demetra

I am also Ghanaian and I have a question about the alata soap. In your opinion did you find it too drying for your hair? Also for the threading do you use regular sewing thread? And another question do you incorporate shea butter into your regimen? by the way I think you and your hair are stunning! I love your style and you’re definately my inspiration for what I want my hair to be like when it grows up lol (I am just 18 months relaxer- free)

Yaa
Yaa

Hi Demetra, yes alata soap works well for me because i use it once every month and i need it to take away all the gunk out of my hair from the month. If i washed my hair often i probably wouldn’t use it all the time. For the threading, i use regular sewing thread, you can dip the strands of thread in olive or coconut oil before you use it in your hair. Yes i incorporate shea butter into my regimen i even use it on my skin everyday. Hope this helps and congratulations on your natural hair journey 🙂

Nana ama
Nana ama

I love your youtube videos and your certainly am inspiration well especially to me..Go team natural and Go Ghana!

Rae
Rae

#TeamGhana yay us lol, its always nice to see another Ghanaian with beautiful natural hair. Winding the thread around pieces of hair is how my mom always used to do my hair when i was little. I would wear my hair like that for weeks at a time. I’m thinking about doing a video tutorial about that b/c its a GREAT and easy way to stretch hair and achieve the blow out look w/out heat. Anyways you look beautiful and your hair is lovely

Ima
Ima

Love your style, love your hair!

adwoa
adwoa

i get what she means. Every one in Ghana knows in secondary school, you have to cut your hair. So I find it weird that some Ghanaian parents get pissed when their daughter go natural. About 98% of all the girls in secondary have to cut their hair.