Busayo // Natural Hair Style Icon

My Birthday 009.JPG
GetAttachment.aspx

Afro Styles 004.JPG

007.JPG

Where do you live?
B:
I live in Toronto, Ontario. I am reppin’ Canada and Nigeria! I am a full time student and part-time counselor for children.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
B:
To be honest, it was kind of an “accident” that I went natural lol. Initially, my plan was to start taking better care of my hair since I was experiencing a lot of breakage when it was relaxed. I was browsing hair care on the web and happened to read about stretching the time in between relaxers, so that was my original plan. I figured I would just let the relaxer grow out for a little while and take really good care of my hair and then relax again. Eventually the whole process just became so tedious with all the experimenting I was doing and having to deal with the two textures. I was so frustrated with the tangling at the demarcation line that I decided to just get it cut. After I walked out of the barber shop, I never turned back…that was it for me and Hawaiian Silky relaxer!

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
B:
I transitioned from June 2006 using kinky twists, braids, and weaves and finally did the big chop in Summer 2007.

In what ways has going natural affected your life?
B:
Truly, it has had a positive impact on my life.The whole process of “going against the grain” and changing our own perceptions about our natural texture is empowering. It is very difficult to break habitual behaviours. In this respect then, to have stopped relaxing after so many years should be seen as an accomplishment. To learn from scratch how to take care of our natural texture properly when generations before us did not pass down this information, is an accomplishment. These accomplishments in hair are not trivial as they act as springboards to other areas of life. If you can learn how to care for kinky/curly hair, you definitely have the ability to learn new things in other areas of your life.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learnt from?
B:
Mistaking oil as a mosturizer when I was a new natural. I would throw olive oil on my hair and wonder why my hair felt so crunchy lol. But I’ve learned since then that water is necessary for moisture. If water is not a top ingredient in a product than it’s probably not a great moisturizer.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
B:
Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! And leave it alone…I saw the most growth in my hair when it was in protective styles for most of 2008. This is because I was able to retain length during those months of not constantly styling it. In 2009, I didn’t see any drastic growth comparable to the previous year and for most of 2009 my hair was in “out” styles. So this year 2010, I will do more protective styles to test the accuracy of my conclusions on length retention.

What do you use in your hair?
B:
I have found that keeping it simple works for me. My most used list includes: H2O, castor oil, shea butter, coconut oil, shampoo and conditioner. I like to add peppermint oil to my shampoo because it smells refreshing and makes my scalp tingle (great for added blood circulation).

How does your hair express who you are?
B:
My hair is resilient yet still delicate…bold in appearance yet soft to the touch…My hair is an expression of me because it is a part of my being and that is how God intended it to be.

What’s the best thing about being natural?
B:
Hands down, for me, it would have to be not having to endure the burn of the relaxer anymore! I really hated that burning sensation lol.

Healthy hair is beautiful hair. Don’t let other people define what texture is “appropriate” for you. Educate yourself on the facts so YOU can make an informed decision. And this goes for every area of your life…you should invite good advice but don’t let people make your decisions for you.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
B:
Yep, you can find me on youtube @ www.youtube.com/user/MissAfrobella

Cristine

~ that is one of the main reasons why i decided to transition to natural! beautiful interview! one of my favorites 🙂

Dari
Dari

The last picture reminds me of the pin-in berets that some people wear in their hair! I love it!

The hair is gorgeous too, but I really want that yellow sweater, lol!

DaliSalvadorAde

Woop! I always like to see my Nigerian sisters reppin’ natural hair. Maybe we can even inspire people in Nigeria to stop damaging their hair with too many weaves and harsh relaxers. Additionally, I love the styles you put your hair in! Very cute. I too have just realized the importance of water as a moisturizer and the benefits of protective styling. I wore my hair in natural twists for 4 weeks and I saw a ridiculous amount of growth.

Keep staying and looking fly Busayo! Thank you for the awesome words of encouragement.

kindredb
kindredb

Ahhh! I love her hair! She was one of my favorites from the first Now and Then.

thelady
thelady

I love the last hair style.

Adaku
Adaku

Busayo is one of my hair idols.. I strive for hair like hers!!!

Tracy
Tracy

Hi Busayo,

Thanks for repping the T Dot! I’m not far from you, to the east. I think you’re right about protective styles and length retention. Think I’m going to have to get agressive about it this year. Noticed a difference after I took out the weave I had in recently…

MsDee
MsDee

Her hair looks fabulous.…WOW

Busayo

Thank you everyone for the really nice comments!For real, ladies, don’t sleep on protective styling! I am so determined this year lol. @ DaliSalvadorAde, I believe that if we keep reppin for natural hair and showing the beauty of it, slowly the perceptions will change. People will have to come up with new excuses besides “natural hair doesn’t look good” or “she must be mixed” or “My hair is too hard to comb.” Simply because, we’ve proven that natural hair is fly, you don’t have to be mixed to grow long hair, and we’ve learnt the proper way to detangle our… Read more »

Enny
Enny

Busayo, you rock!!! Repping for all natural, Nigerian, Canadian girls!!! Woot!

Tobes T
Tobes T

Go Busayo! You make us proud! You know I always say you have amazing hair.…You know you are my hair idol!!! Go Nigerians/Canadians! Fabulous hair

Emma

Thanks for posting 301 Moved Permanently, I have recently been seeking for information about this subject for ages and yours is the best I’ve found so far. Please visit my profile out!

trackback

you can use some of that inspiration…

and share it with your eager audience.parallel comparisonsfind a hot trend that is outside of your niche and compare it to something inside your genre. you can write about the popularity of people like harry potter or taylor swift and how…

trackback

[…] was originally featured on February 3, 2010. I caught up with her to get an update on how her natural hair journey is coming […]