Letty in the Dominican Republic // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jan 31, 2010

We’ve had a lot of discussions about how natural hair is received in the DR. A DR natural is finally here to break it down for us.
***
12137_320114605021_535875021_9701421_4317434_n

Where do you live?
L:
I was born and raised in a tiny little island in the middle of the Caribbean called Dominican Republic. I’m a publicist, a coolhunter and a fashion stylist.

I’m 150% Dominican haha. My mom is Dominican and also my dad, and I have been living here for my whole life.

What is interesting about your country?
L:
I have to say the people, yes we are unique! And of course, the beaches, the weather…

A lot of women on BGLH have spoken about how natural hair (particularly kinky hair) is strongly looked down upon in the Dominican Republican, is it true? What has your experience been?
L:
Well.. as you might know this is a 3rd world country and we are not as “open minded” as some other people of other countries are, so, yes, it’s kinda hard because naturals dont have so much support from the society. In fact this country is more African than any other culture but the Spanish culture was the “good one” and Africans are bad. Everybody wants to be white and forget about the reality, that we are more African than other countries.

What is your hair story?
L:
I’m 22 now, and I’ve been natural for 1 and a half years. But this is the third time that I’ve tried because of what I just said — the society doesn’t accept it.

Where do you buy your hair products?
L:
I use homemade products: mayonnaise, tomatoes and a regular shampoo for curly hair that I buy in the supermarket

What would you like to see in your country in terms of natural haircare?
L:
We don’t really have products for natural hair here, most the products are for relaxed and straightened hair.

Why do you like being natural?
L:
I love it, it’s the most amazing thing I’ve done for myself. I feel happy, with joy and I definitely feel complete. I dont feel like a slave of my hair.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
L:
Of course, www.lefashionjunkie.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/lefashionjunkie

Anything else you want to add?
L:
Always be yourself and do what you wanna be, there’s no other way to be happy.

S23
S23

Nice interview. How does she achieve the style in the top pic?

Apartmentlife
Apartmentlife

I love her hair and style. And that’s a lot of growth for a 1 1/2!

Yoshi3329
Yoshi3329

I love the picture at the end it’s so fun! It makes me laugh. Did she draw that? That’s actually really good!

skeeta25

I love all of it, including the hair color!

Natz
Natz

Loving the fullness of her fros. Dying to know though…how does she use TOMATOES in her hair???

Alice

I love her style! Super cute 🙂

Alice

Bee Michelle

I’m in love with her hair! Tomatoes though?! Please elaborate..

medina
medina

I co-sign her story about DR. Her hair is GOrgeous. she is lovely. I love it!!!!!

Msnappy
Msnappy

This WILL be mynhair in a year!! I WILL achieve this length ending my second year as a natural. If I keep telling myself this and continue nurturing my tresses, it can happen, right???!!!

Didi

Well damn, if tomatoes made her hair look that good… I better run to the grocery store. lol. But seriously, her hair looks really beautiful and healthy.

Shones

love her hair and style… these pictures and the drawing are fantabulous. her facial expressions are cracking me up!

Dee
Dee

I feel Letty. She’s real. And to me…there’s no other way to be.

Tiffany

I like her style.

Nasa

Her hair is so fab!

mynaturalhairrocks
mynaturalhairrocks

I Luv your hair! i have been to DR several times and have many friends there. Dont give up even if ppl in your area support you, you look AWESOME with your hair

Aisha
Aisha

I love her hair and style! Kudos to her for being honest about the Dominican experience.

Melinda
Melinda

Whoa, I am soo disappointed to hear that such ignorance exisits in a country full of people that look like me with hair like mine and they r ashamed of it!! WHAAAT???? I had NO idea, I thought that WE, here in the US had it bad tryna be accepted for our “real” hair, man, this thing is bigger than I thought! Your hair is Beautiful girl, knowing now what you have to endure 4 the sake of expressing your true self u r quite a brave and Beautiful young lady. PEACE and BLESSINGS. Keep doing YOU.

Letty

FIRST: SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH, IM 150% DOMINICAN REMEMBER?? HAHA

thank you so much for this post!! and also for this beautiful and inspiring comments.
The ehing is that sometimes before i wash my hair, i licuate tomatoes and i make like a balm
and leave it for 20 mins. it makes it stronger and helps to grow faster. 😉
i forgot i use a regular leave in also, i buy it in the super market too, but i use A LOT cause
i dont like it to look dry.

Sarihqb

Le* I’m so proud of u lil cus! Guys, trust me those pics don’t make justice to her hair, it’s amazing!

NappturallyHappy
NappturallyHappy

God lawd, her hair is gorgeous. I’ve seen a lot of DR women with seriously heat-damaged hair. I think if they only knew what their hair could look like, they’d make the switch. All in time though. All in time.

perfectly human
perfectly human

Letty.…me encanta tu pelo. gracias por la informacion tambien.…

@ SARIHQB…Can you elaborate on how she uses the tomatoes and how long and what she does once she rinses it out. Also talked about a conditioner OR LEAVE IN she follows up with.…..cause once the sister said lubricates and fast growth, my hands almost got in a knot from typing so fast to get the info,lol.

Thanks!

vonnie

oh my, she has AWESOME hair! Wow, how could they not appreciate that glorious mop of curls 😀 I want I want!! She’s fierce beyond words, I love her style and look

mochacurl

Beautiful hair and wearing it well!

Faith Liamano

I hear what the sister is saying!!! I remember going to a dominican hair shop to get a perm (Cause my hair dresser did it best), I used to hate going because I felt bad everytime, I can understand some spanish and I could tell the ladies were commenting on the thickness of my hair. That played a big part in my going natural. I don’t want to do another walk of shame to get my hair done, serverely burn my scalp and style stuck down burned hair again. Its no longer worth it.

jr polanco
jr polanco

Letty rocks!natural hair rules,I have never understood how some women are led to think that treated hair looks at all similar to flaxen hair.in fact,there is nothing more stressing that “relaxed“hair,lol,one which can not even be wet by the slightest rain,lest it not “renap“itself.man this is sad.Another very talented and stunning Dominican, Giselle Fiallo,produced an excellent documentary on the subject a few years ago,it is called “Potasa”;google it and see if you guys find it,it rules.Letty’s hair is indeed gorgeous in person,she is one of my friends’ life partner,and she always looks stunningly fresh!

jr polanco
jr polanco

funny thing is,I was at a barber shop on saturday,and one of the barbers just out of the blue popped out some FCB relaxer and did himself,it seems he was trying to tame his “bad“hair.it was funny watching him writhe in pain,though,the chemicals on those are strong,you could parctically feel it in your eyes…sad indeed.

angelarose

Awesome hair and I really like her style!

justicefighter1913
justicefighter1913

Keep it funky Letty!!! I love your hair!

Enny
Enny

Awesome!!! Love itttt!!!!!!!
Okay, that last pic fits right into my new project! x

Nadege

great interview. i too am dominican with natural hair — 13 years strong. in fact i have locs http://www.flickr.com/photos/nadege/3684418120/ and i am in the process of combing them out so i can have a full afro like hers. i get the worst stares when i go back to see my mom. i’ve had people point and yell. even call me strange names. it will probably be worse when my locs are gone and its even wilder! i like how that she accepts her african roots. its something us Dominicans don’t realize until we move to other countries. keep it up ma!

Kristen

Letty, I looove your hair. Te ves super linda! Se que esa vaina no es facil… De verdad, me da un poco de miedo porque voy pa lla en agosto y tengo dos meses sin ponerme alisado (seria 4 cuando llegue alla) y se que hay mucha gente que conoci antes que va a creer que estoy loca :O. He dado mucha consideracion a esta cuestion porque aunque soy afro-americana y las cosas son un poco mas faciles aqui en cuanto a ese tema (un poco…), se que voy a pasar mucho tiempo alla en el futuro por razones relacionadas… Read more »

BErmary
BErmary

I love this post. Both my parents were born in DR and they are black. I’ve been natural for a year so far. I hate the fact that some Dominicans are so brainwashed and think themselves white. It’s sad. But oh well. I can only change some minds not all.