Tutorial: One banana clip, two styles…

Avatar • Oct 2, 2009

Kimmay is an amazing YouTuber with really inventive styles. She stopped by BGLH to share her looks using a banana clip. Check back Monday for her full style icon profile.

FroHawk- I came up with this style after seeing countless of videos on Youtube about creating a frohawk with hair pins or bobby pins. I thought using 7″ banana clip would be an easier way to achieve the same look!

High Puff — I also use my banana clip (horizontally) to style my hair in a high puff. This is a style I wear when I’m dressed up for a play or concert. It gives me that regal Nefertiti profile look!

Big Fro & Afro-Hippie — These are just fun free styles. Sometimes I style my hair this way after a braid-out or twist-out. Pam Grier was my inspiration for the gold look. 🙂

Check out Kimmay’s YouTube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/kimmaytube

Liza
Liza

She is so cute and I love her videos. I meant to go get a banana clip the other day, but forgot. Thanks for this post!

Anonymous

I heart Kimmay. Love her vids, hair and style.

Serenity3-0
Serenity3-0

I love her styles. I’m going to have to check out her youtube page. I think the frohawk is my favorite!

Krystal (aka Pirouette)
Krystal (aka Pirouette)

I like this. Simple and elegant.

E_v

I do my hair in the high puff as well. I have the same clip but unfortunately, it snap apart every time I try to use it because my hair is so thick. Her her is thick as well. What’s the trick to making it stay closed?

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ E_v… it could be that she uses a 7‑inch banana clip, which is pretty long. most banana clips i’ve seen are only around 4 or 5 inches.

Anonymous

Please profile her, I’d like to know what her hair routine and fave products are.

Loolalooh
Loolalooh

Oh my. I love these styles! I’ve been looking for a reason to buy a banana clip … and now I have two. Thanks for posting this.

P.S. I love Kimmay’s videos too!

LadyCook
LadyCook

Absolutely love these styles and saw a few of her videos. I’m only 3 weeks post BC, but I will definitely invest in a few banana clips when I have the length! =)

The Notorious Z.A.G.
The Notorious Z.A.G.

@ E_v Yeah, that’s my problem, too ‑_-
And… Do you close them at the top or bottom (when you find one that will close around the massive thicnicity, lol)?

Mel
Mel

love her hair!!

Anonymous

Her video with the Corinne Bailey style changed my life. Seriously. That style is my new hair crack. Super easy and my hair looks FABULOUS.

LuminouzFlame

She is so fun! From her style to her videos. I’ve been a subscriber to her YouTube channel for a few months. Great feature…can’t wait to see the rest on Monday!

E_v

BGLH: Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to run out and find a 7 inch :o)

Z.A.G.: Haha “thicnicity”. I love it.

Nika
Nika

I really enjoy Kimmay’s videos, she’s such a beautiful woman with a beautiful spirit and I enjoyed her fashion show, I loved her Free People choices! Great hair Kimmay and great job!

Anonymous

She has one of the best youtube channels for natural hair. She had me hunting for banana clips a few months ago lol.

Ladies check Walmart for the banana clips(Scunci brand), they have a three pack for just a few dollars.

Jai

Noemí
Noemí

omg that’s what it’s called!- a banana clip! I have been trying to remember its name ever since about 2 months ago when I started wearing fro-hawks and I couldn’t get anyone to remember and couldn’t find them in any stores!

Great post-short,sweet & with inspirational hair styles. Kimmay has such gorge hair! will be checking out her vids!

E_v

BGLH: Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to run out and find a 7 inch :o)

Z.A.G.: Haha “thicnicity”. I love it.

Ashley
Ashley

I watched her videos shortly after I cut off my relaxed ends. I can’t wait for my hair to get to ponytail length to try those styles.

E_v

BGLH: Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to run out and find a 7 inch :o)

Z.A.G.: Haha “thicnicity”. I love it.

E_v

BGLH: Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to run out and find a 7 inch :o)

Z.A.G.: Haha “thicnicity”. I love it.

E_v

BGLH: Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to run out and find a 7 inch :o)

Z.A.G.: Haha “thicnicity”. I love it.

E_v

BGLH: Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to run out and find a 7 inch :o)

Z.A.G.: Haha “thicnicity”. I love it.

ADRZ
ADRZ

i tried banana clips, it cute. But all 2 or 3 of clips broke because my hair too thick . none banana clip is too stable or strong enough to hold my thick hair for more than 12hrs. SAD! it is okay, it is better saving money than wasting