Rmichelle // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • May 11, 2009

RMichelle has been featured as a Monday style icon before, and I noticed on Fotki that she had recently intensified her regimen. Since July 1, 2008 she’s been on a ‘no sulfate, no silicone, no mineral oil, no petroleum or drying alcohol’ regimen, and I can definitely see the difference in the shine, thickness and length of her hair!
I asked her if she’d discuss her regimen, and she agreed.

BGLH: where are you from?
RMICHELLE
: Currently, I live in NY and it just recently got warm outside 😀 lol I’m so excited; I’ve been waiting for this!

BGLH: why did you make the decision to go natural, and when did you do it?
RMICHELLE
: I decided to grow out my natural hair in 2007…here’s the story:

I was in college and in a different state from my beautician (for whom I used to work). So, because I worked for her, I never had to pay to get my hair done. I never relaxed my hair while I was away from home for 2 reasons; (1) I refused to pay anyone because I had grown accustomed to free services LOL and (2) I was leery about allowing someone other than my beautician relax my hair. On the rare occasions that I would visit home I would get my hair relaxed by my beautician…I was going months without touch ups. By the end of my college career I thought “why don’t I just grow out my relaxer and do a press & curl instead?” I was using my Chi to get me through the months of stretching anyway so I figured I might as well skip the chemical process altogether and if I couldn’t manage my natural hair I’d just relax again *shrug*. That’s all there is to it…turns out I can manage LOL… I don’t think it took long for my hair to grow. I was just patient and waited.

BGLH: what products/ingredients do you use?
RMICHELLE
: I stick with products that don’t have petroleum, mineral oil, drying alcohols, cones or sulfates. I find that my hair maintains more moisture by avoiding those ingredients. L says~ Here is a list of RMichelle’s products (taken from her fotki page.)
cowash conditioner: nature’s gate
deep conditioner: aubrey organics
leave in: giovanni direct
moisturizer: carol’s daughter healthy hair butter
“shampoo”: dr. bronners liquid castile soap

BGLH: what mistakes have you made in your natural journey that you’ve learned from?
RMICHELLE
: Waiting too long to detangle my hair!! Omgness, I was reading the details of others’ routines and a lot of people wrote that they only detangled their hair once or twice a month. Being that I loathed detangling in the beginning of my natural hair experience I thought to myself, “Yes! That’s what im gonna do too” I made the silly mistake of doing what worked for others and waited 3 weeks before detangling my hair and it took me forever and a day to get through it. Never again. I detangle once a week now lol.

BGLH: could you describe your regimen?
RMICHELLE
: My routine is quite simple, this is what I do:
• Detangle hair
• Cleanse hair (castile soap or co-wash)
• Moisturize hair
• Air dry/style

I do my hair in sections no matter what I’m doing. Washing, detangling, styling etc.; I always part my hair into at least 4 sections.

BGLH: how does your hair work for your life (as a mom/student/professional/etc,etc)?
RMICHELLE
: My hair does what I want it to do…yeah…I know there are a lot of naturals who insist on letting their hair do what it want but…I run thisallupinhere. As an up and coming professional I like for my hair to be neat (no funky fros for me). I like puffs, twists, buns, coils and occasional straight styles.

BGLH: where do you get style inspiration from?
RMICHELLE
: I never know what to do with my hair. I get inspiration from everywhere (public, magazines, fotkis etc.); if I see it and I like it I’ll try it.

BGLH: what’s the best thing about being natural?
RMICHELLE
: I’d have to say the versatility is my favorite thing.

BGLH: anything else you want to add?
RMICHELLE
: Hair politics are for those who need more to do…it’s hair, enjoy it.

RMichelle’s Photos

I always love having RMichelle on BGLH. Thanks girl!! For more of RMichelle check out her fotki page. Also, BGLH reader Jai informed me that Tyra Banks will be discussing the question “What is good hair?” on her show Tuesday, May 12. Sounds like it could be interesting…
***update @ 10:24 a.m. … also, we have a great “sunday retrospective” discussion going on about newbies’ (new naturals) reactions to the online and real world natural hair community. newbies please weigh in!***

Jc
Jc

Her hair is very nice. I completely agree that you have to be very careful with advice that you take from others. There’s nothing wrong with trying it once but if it doesn’t work for you, don’t keep at it thinking that it will get better. I know that I wouldn’t detangle my hair once a week, I’ll wait 3–4 weeks.

Looking forward to the feedback from the Tyra Show (We don’t have the show in UK)

Ayoko (my actual middle name)
Ayoko (my actual middle name)

I definitely want to see that tyra show and the first thing that I said when i saw these pictures was wow!!!! I love her hair, i love everyones hair, but its so hard to keep of with buying natural hair products when you are broke, most of my stuff has been homemade, but I am running out.

Alice
Alice

I was in college and in a different state from my beautician (for whom I used to work)…(2) I was leery about allowing someone other than my beautician relax my hair.”

Me too! Except in the middle of stretching my hair I decided I just couldn’t deal and cut it! I wonder how many other people do/did this…

Tyra’s show sounds like it’s going to be a train wreck. I can’t wait for it to be available online 🙂

Chanel
Chanel

She has absolutely gorgeous hair. Amazing texture and thickness. Love it.

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ ayoko… keep up with the homemade products! rmichelle mentions in her piece that she has stopped using cones, sulfates, drying alcohols and petroleum — those are things found primarily
in commercial products. now, this is not to say that all commercial products are bad, obviously that’s not true. but if you use natural products you kill two birds with one stone: avoiding harmful ingredients and saving some money!

there are plenty of women on Fotki whose regimens are entirely natural and home made.

Mel
Mel

I love her hair! And the eye make-up is GREAT…

Anonymous
Anonymous

I just read the summary for Tyra’s show, and apparently there’s going to be a woman on who relaxes her 3‑year old daughter’s hair!

hidaya
hidaya
Reply to  Anonymous

seriously?!?!?! i sure hope Child Protective Services will be waiting for Mom following the interview! Ignorant AZZ.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Her hair is beautiful and so is she!

Da Jadedpoet
Da Jadedpoet

Love her style!! I also would stretch perms for months and for almost a year once. I honestly hated getting them LOl.

I guess I’ll be watching Tyra on Tuesday. I am not an avid watcher but I’ll tune in tomorrow!! LOL.

Jc
Jc

Oh my, I just saw the show trailer on the Tyra Show website and my jaw dropped. I wish I could see it!!

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

I love that last style!

Cee Frizzle
Cee Frizzle

What does she use to style her hair? Does she use any gels? And how do you keep from untangling your hair for a week? I would like to know so i could try it.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Her fotki says that she uses gel on the front to smooth it down, but she doesn’t say what kind.

Licklemslady
Licklemslady

RMichelle is one of my most favorite natural gals. I have her pics saved to my favorites on KISS. I headed over her page now to see what she’s changed. Oh n we both live in NY 🙂

Glo
Glo

She’s GORG! The hair is fierce, and her skin is even more beautiful!!

Great pick!

DivinelyNappy
DivinelyNappy

Her and her hair are BEAUTIFUL. I will be joining her on her NO NO list of ingredients. 🙂 And ditto on the detangling tip. I understand about Fro’s in the workplace but when you’re not @ work maybe you could get fro’d out just for a picture on fotki. Just a thought.

Loved it.

*NeNe*

Rachel Michelle
Rachel Michelle

hey ladies, thank you all for the support. to answer some of your questions: -i use ampro clear ice gel when i slick my hair back. my other products are giovanni direct leave in and castor oil. when i want exta moisture i like carol’s daughter healthy hair butter (it’s pretty heavy so i don’t like to use it very often) -i detangle my hair (in sections) very thoroughly on wash days with my denman and it just works out for me that it stays pretty well detangled until my next detangling(which is usually 1wk later but never longer than a 2wks)… Read more »

DivinelyNappy