Sera // 4C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 19, 2008

DSC01333-vi

BGLH: Your hair is SO LONG! Did you ever think it would get this long?
S: Well, I was a little uncertain as to whether waist-length hair would be possible; however, I knew that as time went on that if I took good care of my hair then it would be possible.

BGLH: How did you know what to do to get it this long? And how many inches do you think you have?
S: I knew that taking care of my hair and keeping it moisturized as much as possible would help with length retention. When measured, it is 28 inches (top/crown), 30 inches (midsection to bottom portion). It took about 4 years and 9 months to get to this length.

BGLH: So what is your secret?
S: No secret, just lots of patience & care. I try to keep my hair moisturized and protected (i.e. twists/braids)

BGLH: Have there ever been any rough periods when your hair wasn’t really growing, or you lost length or health.
S: I have had to cut off 3 inches on two separate occassions within a span of 2 months (in 2007) due to damaged ends — our afro texture makes moisture retention hard and I constantly battle with dryness, especially due to the hot climate I live in. There are times when growth is little to none, but that is just part of hair growth process.

BGLH: Was your original goal to grow your hair out, or was it to go natural?
S: Mainly, just to grow my hair out naturally, but length eventually became part of my goal as well.

BGLH: Were there any naysayers? People who thought your natural hair would always be short? What do they think now?
S: Yes, there were a few naysayers, I could care less though, and yes there were people who implied that people with my texture tend not to be able to grow long hair, although they did not come out and say it. Of course, now they are quite surprised and seem to be open to the fact that it is possible.

BGLH: Why did you do the big cut? What prompted that?
S: I was tired of my permed hair breaking and wanted to get my hair health again.

BGLH: What are some of the reactions you get from people on the street when they see your hair?
S: I get a lot of “Is that really your hair?”[touch, touch, play with hair…]. I also get a lot of stares some negative and some dismissal–some people just assume my hair is fake instead of taking the time to just ask me whether or not its my hair (I stopped being offended a long time ago, lol.)

BGLH: What would you tell a natural like me who recently did a big cut, and is struggling to learn her hair and grow it out?
S: Take time to explore and try out products that promote moisture retention (without breaking the bank, lol.) Have patience or condition yourself to be patient if you are not a patient person, especially when it comes to handling your hair. Once you find out what works for your hair you will know what helps it grow and what prevents it from growing.

BGLH: You should write a book, seriously! do you have any hair-related plans for the future, like becoming a hair consultant or something like that? 🙂
S: That is something I am currently taking into strong consideration (only time will tell…). 😉

Pamela
Pamela

I LOVE this girl!! thanks so much for sharing your story, I especially appreciate the goals that you’ve set for yourself about hair care and the grace that you’ve extended to yourself in seeing it happen.

the phoenix journal
the phoenix journal

i’m working on my submission!! From shower to finished product 🙂

I LOVE your site 🙂

jenteel
jenteel

i love me some sera’s hair!!!!

Felicity
Felicity

Her hair is so beautiful.

Anonymous
Anonymous

I LOVE SERa’s hair I know that if she can do it, indeed I can too! You can quote me on that!

Lina

Becca the Promo Mami
Becca the Promo Mami

I LOVE her hair.… it’s beautiful! i hate to get off topic, but i’m having a dillema… me and my sister are going thru a hair battle — both natural, with REALLY tightly curled hair — both have long hair. but she keeps hers pressed, so much so that its changed her texture — it looks like ramen noodles now when its not presses. i only press my hair every 6 months to assess growth and trim my ends. and my hair is still as curly as the day i was born.… is there ANYTHING i can say to my sister… Read more »

Anonymous
Anonymous

are there any other websites that this girl is on? or even youtube?
i would love to know more of how she got that lengtth.

thx

MimiW
MimiW

Is it possible to get in touch with her today to ask what her regimen and products are?

Roxy F
Roxy F
Reply to  MimiW

I am thinking the same thing MimiW I want to know what she uses in her hair because it looks like we have the same texture.

Irisnaturelle
Reply to  Roxy F

she has a youtube channel; search her name in youtube i think shell pop up

Jay Mikula

Hello all, i premoes i back, super article

SexyKel
SexyKel

This artical gives me hope. Right now I am transitioning to natural now for bout a year, its so hard. I would love to know if she has a youtube chanel or something.Really wanna know whats her winter regimen for natural hair

Maritah

Does Sera have a blog?
Would very much like to follow her so please let me know where I can find her.….….….….….….….

Lorraine
Lorraine

Sera is beautiful, something about her is regal and calm. Also love her Fotki site, very well laid out, extremely helpful.

trackback

[…] this myth is not as prevalent as it used to be thanks to hair inspirations like Sera.  However, it still exists, so let’s bust […]

Shavonne

Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this website.

Jerrod

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Fanny

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your weblog. You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an e‑mail if interested. Many thanks!

cacey
cacey

first time i saw sera’s hair i fell in love. the texture of it is so unique and it just awed me like few things hair ever do. it wasn’t just the length by itself, but the length played a part, b/c let’s face it. she’s the first woman i’d ever seen with her exact hair type who had hair so long, and it was like, wow. i’ve been inspired by her growth/length but most importantly by her techniques, diligence and consistency.