A few days ago, supermodel Naomi Campbell posted a selfie with a stunning young woman and captioned it “My baby girl, my daughter @ryandestiny watch tonight @staronfox at 9pm #rosespenceriscoming @theoriginalbigdaddy @queenlatifah @lennykravitz”
This had some folks scratching their heads, wondering if Campbell was revealing a long‐lost child. But the woman is not her real life daughter, but actress Ryan Destiny, who plays Campbell’s daughter on TV. Here are 5 things to know about this up‐and‐coming beauty.
1. The 22 year‐old stars in Lee Daniels’ new FOX series Star playing Alexandra Crane, the daughter of a rock star who is struggling to find her own fame as member of an Atlanta girl group. Campbell plays Alexandra’s mother Rose Spencer.
2. She is a native of Detroit, Michigan.
3. She is a talented singer in real life and belonged to the girl group Love Dollhouse, which was signed to Russell Simmons All Def Label. In 2014 the group released the hit single Can I. They’ve since disbanded.
4. Music runs in the family. Destiny’s father Deron Irons is half of the 90s R&B duo Guesss
5. She appeared in the 2013 AMC series Low Winter Sun, and received critical acclaim for her starring role in the 2015 film, A Girl Like Grace, about a poor Haitian‐American girl living in a Mississippi trailer park and mourning her best friend’s suicide. Although the film was panned by critics, Destiny was lauded for her role;
“That the film transcends its cliches at all is due entirely to Destiny’s committed lead turn. Though she’s mostly asked to play variations on meek, pouty or sultry, the effortlessly charismatic star not only stands out among her more seasoned colleagues but also hints at an inner life the film seems too distracted to explore.” –Variety
Ryan is definitely one to watch in 2017.