Prince Harry Releases Statement Blasting Media for Racist Coverage of Biracial Girlfriend Meghan Markle

Avatar • Nov 8, 2016
via Getty/CNN

via Getty/CNN

There have been rumors swirling around a potential relationship budding between the most eligible royal, Prince Harry, and biracial (black and white) American actress Meghan Markle. The couple reportedly met in Toronto, where Markle lives, in the beginning of May, and Markle has posted photos in London over the past few months.

While the reports had been nothing more than rumors, many of the comments surrounding the relationship were extremely vile, including threats against Markle’s life. Last week, The Daily Mail printed a story describing Markle as “straight outta Compton,” providing murder statistics and and information on gang affiliations in the area. Many English citizens have had a hard time accepting that a British royal would date a woman of color.

Well, Prince Harry isn’t having it. In a bold statement to the press, he called them out and reprimanded them for their descriptions and treatment of Markle in their coverage and attempts to speak with her and her friends and family, citing racist undertones, sexist remarks, and harassment.

via Scribd

via Scribd

The statement reads:

But the past week has seen a line crossed. His girlfriend, Meghan Markle, has been subject to a wave of abuse and harassment. Some of this has been very public — the smear on the front page of a national newspaper; the racial undertones of comment pieces; and the outright sexism and racism of social media trolls and web article comments. Some of it has been hidden from the public — the nightly legal battles to keep defamatory stories out of papers; her mother having to struggle past photographers in order to get to her front door; the attempts of reporters and photographers to gain illegal entry to her home and the calls to police that followed; the substantial bribes offered by papers to her ex-boyfriend; the bombardment of nearly every friend, co-worker, and loved one in her life.
Prince Harry is worried about Ms. Markle’s safety and is deeply disappointed that he has not been able to protect her. It is not right that a few months into a relationship with him that Ms. Markle should be subjected to such a storm. He knows commentators will say this is ‘the price she has to pay’ and that ‘this is all part of the game’. He strongly disagrees. This is not a game — it is her life and his.

via Glamour

via Glamour

Prince Harry has his own checkered past when it comes to race.

In 2005, he attended a “colonials and natives” costume party dressed as a Nazi. Given that a large chunk of the world is still in cultural and economic recovery from England’s oppressive, centuries-long colonial rule, it is shocking he would even attend a function like this. And even more horrifying that he went as a Nazi. He later apologized for his actions.

But in 2009, he was in hot water again after videos from 2006 surfaced of him calling fellow cadets “Paki” and “Rag-head” — racial slurs for Pakistanis and Muslims — during his time serving in the British army. The solider whom Harry was addressing denied that the Prince meant ill by his words, but the public thought otherwise.

Now, years later, Prince Harry is on the other side of the race spectrum, seeing up close how racial taunts are not harmless and cause real danger. We are glad that he is speaking out and hope it’s a sign that his views on race are evolving.

TWA4now
TWA4now

No one should be subjected to that! I wish them all the best.

aiych
aiych

Wow…I’m surprised he spoke out on it. Seems like many hot-commodity white celebrity men who have black significant others rarely defend them publicly.

Itumeleng

Oh Meghan, its not just the media, but mostly the white female media you have to look out for from now on. The same media that when a black or mixed race woman dare snare herself a high profile white male celebrity is subjct to the most vitriolic scorn there is out there. Here in England, some white female columnist have written the most mean spirited articles reserved only for a black woman who dare step out of her place. I have been a fan of Meghan Markle for years now and I wish her all the best. I must… Read more »

NoTime4Bimbos
NoTime4Bimbos

They make a great looking couple! Hate to say it but I strongly believe that the anger is stemming from both the white male & females, but mainly the white females who are both jealous, insecure & threatened. They don’t stand a chance against Meghan.….

Jazmin
Jazmin
Reply to  NoTime4Bimbos

Plus, though it has improved somewhat, Britain is still a society based on the class system. The British press is very, very tough. They would joyfully crucify a white woman from a “lower class” background who was dating Prince Harry. Markle is getting it triple because she is mixed race and American.

TeaJae
TeaJae

No one should be subjected to such a thing. This world gets stupider by the hour when it comes to race. There is but one race it’s the human one which they both belong too. Others need to get a tall glass of STHU go on about their pathetic lives.

Jazmin
Jazmin
Reply to  TeaJae

Sadly, it is human nature for people to find a way to separate themselves from others. Catagorizing by race is an easy way to do it. This will never change, be it by eye color, skin color or ethnicity.

Stephanie Dominique
Stephanie Dominique
Reply to  Jazmin

It’s not human nature, White people are the ones that created a separation among race, white people need to realize that it’s getting old and they need to stop trying to control people lives.

Jazmin
Jazmin

Uh, yeah. Nobody ever willingly gives up power. So shall we just sit and wait for white people to make nice? After all, it’s all de white folks fault! I guess that explains the rampant colorism that still exists within our community, the fetishizing of mixed people and the growing movement among those mixed people to be catagorized as anything other than black. It might also help explain why all people of color can never unite effectively. Why? Because some people of color believe that they are better than other people of color. Human beings are not inherently good, fair… Read more »

maralondon
maralondon

Damn right!

GHAnana85
GHAnana85

Sorry but that letter seems fake to me, when the royal family don’t appreciate any negativity towards them, the person usually ‘disappears’ or is fired (not naming names i like my life lol). I agree with itumeleng, the only british people that are oppose to this kind of high profile interracial dating (BW+WM) is white women.

Reply to  GHAnana85

Exactly. People often forget about the historical silent racist, the white woman. I should know, I live in a country full of English women. If you dare to be pretty/beautiful, educated, slim articulate etc, they see white men flirting and asking us out. They know what their men like, even historically, and they will try everything in their power to block social interaction between white men and black women. I see it in the work place, in wine bars, at the gym, heck walking down the street. It happens to me all the time. They are scared of the gains… Read more »

mumonu
mumonu
Reply to  Itumeleng

I’ve read all of your posts on this topic and you are 100% right. white women are silently racist and very aggressive when it comes to keeping black women “in their place.” It’s not just in the UK, but here in the US as well. I remember the hate and vitriol that Nicole Beharie, one of my favorite actresses, received when she was dating Michael Fassbender, an A‑list white actor, a couple of years ago. The comments that white women left on her imdb page were mind blowing — so full of hate and jealousy. Just look at all the… Read more »

Reply to  mumonu

Sis let them try everything in their power but their men see the real 3D model in real life, and they know we’re FINE! I just think the average white chick is average as hell so I don’t blame them for guarding that pedestal. Their men historically have never stayed away from black women and deep down they know it. Viola and Lupita may have been make up free but can you imagine a white chick their ages rocking that look? They would look tore up from the floor up LOL White women are basic as f**k, they need the… Read more »

maximilion
maximilion
Reply to  Itumeleng

I’m from UK,born and bred and I agree and know highly what you say to be true because I see it myself,Asian women back in the days when interracial relationships were rare use to settle for the older white men that would date them(asian women in particular have always been encouraged to date white men by their parents who white men to be more wealthy,so they can then send back money to their parents or back home to their country)I have been told by asian women that its always money first,love second so they couldn’t care less how unattractive the… Read more »

justtwo post
justtwo post

I saw this coming YEARS ago. These white people are REALLY pushing this interracial thing hard. I knew. I knew he would end up with either a black woman or a half-black woman.

Monica
Monica
Reply to  justtwo post

What do you mean by pushing?

Reply to  Monica

Every commercial here in England is pushing interracial dating, but that between black men and white women. Every single time I see a black man on TV he is paired up with a white woman. They just hadn’t bargained on the opposite happening. With black men and white women, they want to show how their darling little beckies are so desired, what they don’t understand is that black women are also snagging white men in droves, but for some reason we don’t see that on TV. There are quite a number of high profile highly respected white male celebrities, even… Read more »

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Itumeleng

And this kind of depiction has been going on from time. I’m not sure I’ve seen the Aristocrats or high profile white celebrities with African women, who are they?

Reply to  maralondon

Emma McQuiston is half Nigerian to be honest but she is exactly my complexion. Those Nigerian genes are strong. Prince Maxilimilian of Lichstestein is married to a black woman who is 11 years OLDER than him. There is a German count who is married to the darkest sister I have ever seen. I believe they live in Kenya. I will look up the names of the ones I can’t recall at the moment and update my list…

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  justtwo post

The family would never allow a BW or part black to taint their long line of royal blue blood. His father back in the 70’s had much admiration for an AA female singing group called the 3 Degrees, they would always appear on special TV shows and host special royal functions. It was a running joke for a long time that Prince Charles loved BW but at the end of the day they’re going to marry their own.

khepra Bey
khepra Bey

queen charlotte anyone?????!!!!!

Jazmin
Jazmin

So much for biracials being able to “choose” their race. And, because background information is so readily available on anyone, “passing” is no longer an option. Kudos to Prince Harry for forcefully speaking out.

mocha
mocha
Reply to  Jazmin

As someone whom is biracial, it is not a “get to choose” issue, nor has it ever been. There is nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds. It requires having knowledge of self. Knowing who you are and knowing how to ward off the ignorant. The world will often categorize us (what’s new), but that it the opportunity to educate instead of shame. As long as you stand firm in your history, it is your duty. Each one teach one. I believe people that are stagnant in not putting themselves in another’s shoes, yet judgemental are stuck in… Read more »

Misty
Misty

I’m wondering if Prince Harry is not worried that the same thing that happened to his mother (being chased by the paparazzi, resulting in a car collision which led to Princess Diana’s death), could happen to Meghan. This is very, very sad indeed.

Simone Denise
Simone Denise

Don’t be so naive… While it’s a good thing that Prince Harry is speaking out gainst the racial sentiments against his woman, that doesn’t make him less racist. I know there are people married to black women, who will still ridicule minorities, even blacks.

Reply to  Simone Denise

I agree. Personally I think Meghan can do a lot better that that ginger haired oddball. The royal family are reptilian inbred bunch. Meghan will never have privacy. The media will tear her apart and put a strain on their relationship till they break up. You know white women are not happy he’s with her. Here in the UK, they are running stories of his his previous exes are all willowy blondes. White women are really upset he is dating a half black woman. White women know there have always been relations between white men and black women, and it… Read more »

Safiyyah
Safiyyah
Reply to  Itumeleng

I’m in the UK too 🙂 But you speaking the truth, lol.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Simone Denise

THANK YOU!!! I mean he benefits from crown every day of his life, an institution that got rich off of exploiting and massacring people of color.

Safiyyah
Safiyyah

Teach!

maximilion
maximilion
Reply to  Simone Denise

But your assuming him to be racist when hes clearly not especially if hes dating a half black women ‚he has said racist stuff but hes the only one in this modern day who has dared to go against the norm in his family and show his love for a women of color ‚something his brother would probably never have the courage to do,Harry is a bit of a bad boy of the royals lol but I applaud him for sticking up for megan against the critics and the racists-if a mixed women thought whites would be more accepting of… Read more »

LC
LC

They should have denied the rumors and keep on doing their thing. No picture have been taken of them together so it’s not like it wouldn’t have worked. I don’t Meghan (I like her on Suits though), but I know for sure that she doesn’t deserve to be harassed for something that’s none of our business.

CC
CC

So when people get mad when you tell them that even though they are bi-racial that people will view them as black. This is a prime example.They aren’t saying “Hey she is half white too”. They are calling her black! I am a big believer in being proud of who you are, but it is important to also be aware of how the world perceives you. It shouldn’t be that way, but sadly it is.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

The gag is she looks white to me. I have no f%%ks to give about the the royals, an institution that benefited and continues to benefit off the sweat, blood and tears of people of color. Bye.

maralondon
maralondon

Exactly! Don’t have anytime for them.