Wig Company Photoshops New Face Onto Image of Beauty Vlogger After She Asks them to Stop Using Her Photo in Ads

Avatar • Oct 6, 2016

Beauty vlogger Alexandria Nicole recently exposed a website, dresslily.com, for posting a picture of her to sell a wig. Funny thing is, she isn’t wearing a wig, nor did she give them permission to use her photo.

She posted the following image to Instagram with the caption;

Really. ? I’m not wearing a wig. Never wear wigs. @dresslily just sent you all an email. Please remove my image! There are a few people who I follow/follow me whose pictures are on the site under a “wig”, y’all might wanna go take a look. #dresslily #fake”

vlogger1

It is quite common for businesses to steal pictures of vloggers and bloggers without giving them credit or completely fabricating the relationship between the person and site or product. Stealing pictures off the web is much cheaper than hiring a model to wear the product, and obviously natural hair is going to look better than the actual wig. Of course, she asked them to take it down. But their response, while entirely wrong, is one that is truly original. After they were contacted, they said they would look into the matter. Instead, they updated the photo with the following:

screen-shot-2016-10-05-at-9-05-03-pm

via @TheQueenSpeaks_

Again, this is SO wrong — stealing pictures is a copyright issue and incredibly frustrating to the content creator. No one wants their picture plastered all over a cheap wig site. However, I can’t stop laughing at this horrible photoshop job, especially with the eyebrow merging into the hairline.

Unfortunately, the ordeal left a bad taste in Nicole’s mouth (with good reason), but it now seems as if the issue has been resolved.
The photo was being used on not one, but THREE sites, but it looks like all of them have now been removed.
Moral of the story to wig sites: STOP STEALING PICTURES.

Shaniqua L.
Shaniqua L.

She should have contacted an attorney and had the lawyer contact the company on her behalf to get damages. Who knows how long her image was being used on these sites? They made money from it, and now have no repercussions other than a few negative social media posts that no one is going to remember or be talking about in a few months anyway. When people are taken advantage of like this, they need to have thoughtful, planed responses instead of knee jerk reactions. Responding and reacting are two very different things. And that’s why things like this continue… Read more »

OneFabGirl
OneFabGirl
Reply to  Shaniqua L.

Oh, how easy it is to have so much opinion when you’re on the outside looking in. How do you know she didn’t have an attorney contact them? How do you know she didn’t send them a bill for the damage done? Dresslily is a known scam with stealing pics and this being in the spotlight again has actually caused more bloggers to take action against them. They’ll definitely get what’s coming to them. Stay blessed.

Shaniqua L.
Shaniqua L.
Reply to  OneFabGirl

Well, she didn’t mention contacting any kind of legal expert and said she personally asked the company to take her picture down, so I had no reason to think she had legal counsel involved. It’s not so much having “so much opinion” as making an inference based on the information available.

Brittany1991
Brittany1991
Reply to  OneFabGirl

why so defensive? lol

notconvincedgranny
notconvincedgranny
Reply to  OneFabGirl

Are you on the inside looking out? And since Dresslily isn’t an American company, it’s harder than hell to prosecute without having big bucks. Stay blessed.

IdiotDrool
IdiotDrool

What the hell am I seeing?

LBell
LBell

My Photoshop skills aren’t great but even I could have done a better job than that. Also, whose Instagram did they steal the NEW girl’s face from?

gracie
gracie

It’s so stupid. I hate when you’re looking for actual synthetic wigs and they have a photo instead of someone’s beautiful natural hair. Is your wig so horrible that you can’t show us a photo of it?

kia
kia

They so burnt out for that photoshop job ???

marie
marie

Not only happening today; before the internet they would use real pics of women and their hair to sell wigs in magazines.

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl

I’ve seen this happen to so many women it’s ridiculous. There are hundreds of hair websites like this, just stop supporting them. Seems like the most reliable place to get wigs, clip-ins etc are from the black owned hair companies like @heatfreehair @kezihair @hergivenhair @kurlyklips and also @naturalbelle who makes incredibly real looking customized wigs! I’m sure there are more. The women who own these hair companies actually make it their business to hire hair models, model their own hair and possibly send hair to certain hair vloggers/bloggers to display their hair, this way you have a realistic view of… Read more »

Nel
Nel

I’m a blogger and had this done to me too. A Congolese girl warned me on my Facebook page that my picture was used on a poster (not a website) in a small town in the Congo. It was for some shitty “miracle” hair product. You wanna know what they did with the picture? They made a huge bald spot on my forehead with some nasty photoshopping for the “before”. Then they photoshoped ugly hair on my picture for the “after” (why just not use the real pic???). Anyone with eyes could see how fake and bad it was. There… Read more »

aiych
aiych

LMAO such horrible photoshop!

DSimone71
DSimone71

That photoshop is frighteningly terrible!