[Pics] Black Woman Doctors Take to Social Media After Delta Refused to Believe Black Woman Passenger was a Doctor

Avatar • Oct 13, 2016

By now you may have heard the story of Tamika Cross, an OBGYN from Houston who, on a Delta flight, was blocked by a flight attendant from helping an unconscious man because the attendant refused to believe Cross was a doctor. From Cross’ re-telling of the incident;

A couple mins later he is unresponsive again and the flight attendant yells “call overhead for a physician on board”. I raised my hand to grab her attention. She said to me “oh no sweetie put ur hand down, we are looking for actual physicians or nurses or some type of medical personnel, we don’t have time to talk to you” I tried to inform her that I was a physician but I was continually cut off by condescending remarks.

Then overhead they paged “any physician on board please press your button”. I stare at her as I go to press my button. She said “oh wow you’re an actual physician?” I reply yes. She said “let me see your credentials. What type of Doctor are you? Where do you work? Why were you in Detroit?” (Please remember this man is still in need of help and she is blocking my row from even standing up while
Bombarding me with questions).

I respond “OBGYN, work in Houston, in Detroit for a wedding, but believe it or not they DO HAVE doctors in Detroit. Now excuse me so I can help the man in need”. Another “seasoned” white male approaches the row and says he is a physician as well. She says to me “thanks for your help but he can help us, and he has his credentials”. (Mind you he hasn’t shown anything to her. Just showed up and fit the “description of a doctor”) I stay seated. Mind blown. Blood boiling. (Man is responding the his questions and is seemingly better now Thank God)

Then this heifer has the nerve to ask for my input on what to do next about 10 mins later. I tell her we need vitals and blood sugar. She comes back to report to me a BP of 80/50 (super low, to my non medical peeps) and they can’t find a glucometer. We continue down that pathway of medical work up, but the point is she needed my help and I continued to help despite the choice words I had saved up for her. The patient and his wife weren’t the problem, they needed help and we were mid flight.”

Lord.

In light of Cross’ shocking experience (that you can read in full here), black woman doctors are making themselves visible on Facebook and Instagram with the hashtags #whatadoctorlookslike.

screen-shot-2016-10-14-at-5-58-44-am

doc5

doc6

doc7

doc8

doc9

doc10

YES Ladies! Check out more of the inspiring entries on Facebook and Instagram.

soulshadow55
soulshadow55

Tears!!!

Birdy
Birdy

won’t be flying on Delta anytime soon. Power is in our money.

the crystal gems

i feel so proud i could cry. its just a shame how america sees us, it really truly is.

MM
MM

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Marvellous Marv
Marvellous Marv

Kudos to the docs!!

Mary Hill
Mary Hill

I was once in the elevator at the Des Moines Register and a security guard asked me if I was going up to the 10th floor — where there happened to be a Welfare Program for homeless mothers. I said, “No, I’m going to the 4th floor to the newsroom. Don’t wind up on the front page for being a dick. Oh, you probably wouldn’t because that’s not news.” You should have seen his face as the elevator doors closed. (roflol)

fortune27
fortune27

BRAVO to our brilliant Black Doctors!

Reply to  fortune27

Bravo for not carrying any ID. Bravo indeed!

Lila
Lila
Reply to  AnonDude123

you’ve been commenting on other people’s comments stirring up trouble and being a nuisance. This post and this website is not for you, go away idiot internet troll.

Lisa Mc
Lisa Mc

I’ve been a flight attendant for 37 years. Our company changed policy a few years back.…we no longer have to see credentials “up front”. We ask what they are and accept help when needed, gathering their professional credentials when the situation is stable. I’m sorry thus happened to you. Not sure what Delta’s official policy is regarding medical assistance, but at the very LEAST, she was rude and unprofessional.

hoppytoad79
hoppytoad79
Reply to  Lisa Mc

The woman’s account states the white man wasn’t asked for his credentials; he simply said he was a doctor.

Reply to  hoppytoad79

She said that she didn’t SEE him show any credentials. That doesn’t mean that he didn’t. In fact Delta confirmed that he was the only one of three doctors on the plane who did. It’s entirely possible that he registered as a doctor when he booked or boarded the flight.

ccangel1001
ccangel1001

That’s sad. I’m glad she still helped even though the flight attendant was being rude.

Eric Braun
Eric Braun

I dated a young (36) very attractive black doctor who had a similar story. But when they asked for her credentials she presented them and that was that. I know a lot of other stuff went on in this scenario that was unforgivable, but they MUST ask to see credentials. They were doubtful of her in the beginning and that really hurt. She put 15 years of her life into attaining the position to help people and they doubted her. But they must see credentials before allowing one stranger to administer to another.

Charmayne
Charmayne
Reply to  Eric Braun

HOWEVER, if you read the story the flight attendant never asked the white male doctor for his credentials when he stepped forward and said he was also a doctor. The flight attendant just TOLD the black woman that he was qualified and she didn’t need her help..without proof that he actually had credentials. so how do you explain that?

LOLA Ogunbameru
LOLA Ogunbameru
Reply to  Eric Braun

i’m sorry what credentials are those? does one carry my medical degree or my license everywhere? As a physician who has helped on flights in the past and BLACK, an attractive woman with locs( like the one you dated), i think the lady was being racist and stupid. i have also spent several years attaining this position. and airlines do not have to see credentials first. you are false.

Kim Ber Lee
Kim Ber Lee

#WHOOP

Marlon46
Marlon46

Too all of you! Thanks for being inspirations to other young sisters, As a father of 2 daughters both also pre-med majors, I applaud all of you, However, This only prove the need & importance of a separate news source to show us in a positive light vs the main stream source currently being used to fuel this ignorance, Personal note to 2 young sisters I met in IAH Houston earlier this year, Remember I told both How proud I was of both of you as we waited for pour luggage, I’m still telling others about all the wonderful accomplishments… Read more »

Oyinade
Oyinade

Yaaassssssssssss!!! #Blackgirlmagic

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

The stewardess needs to be reprimanded and have further training in how to treat non white passengers. Ignorant cow!

Itumeleng
Itumeleng

I can only imagine that my mother, a doctor from Botswana would definitely not be believed either. An African doctor?? Now way, they don’t exist!

Megan Wren
Megan Wren

That is outrageous! As a white woman physician I have been called “nurse” but never had my credentials questioned during an in-air emergency. I applaud you for speaking out!

Chile_Pleeze
Chile_Pleeze

love love love love love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

As if I needed more reasons NOT to fly with Delta.

Lewtheprof
Lewtheprof

One of the best physicians I’ve ever had, was both a woman and from Peru. I loved having her as my GP doctor and was quite sad that I lost her when I had to move away.

eleanorrubymoon
eleanorrubymoon

THIS … is systemic racism.

AnonDude123

This is reasonable policy to make sure they don’t allow these nut jobs near ailing passengers:

crikey8
crikey8

In our family alone, we’ve had black, female physicians for over 40 years! Plus, we have black male physicians and Asian physicians as well! Delta, welcome to Trump’s America’s “Back to the ugly 50s”! You had better get your act together Delta!

Sally Cain
Sally Cain

I love all the responses! Hope Delta makes it into this century and fires that woman!!!

Reply to  Sally Cain

Hope you make it to the real world and realize that the airline has policies about how to identify doctors, and the staff did what they were supposed to do.

Not everyone who claims to be a doctor is actually a doctor.

folasade
folasade
Reply to  AnonDude123

lies.

folasade
folasade
Reply to  AnonDude123

if that man had died because of her assumption shame on you. she had no way of knowing that woman wasnt a doctor she wasn’t
WILLING to check her credentials bc she couldnt fathom. did she check the white mans credentials, so i hope you make it to the real world and realize the bias in your statement

hoppytoad79
hoppytoad79

I am disgusted by the treatment Dr. Cross received, and horrified to think what the consequences of her being needlessly delayed could have meant for the man. I don’t give a shit what race a doctor is, all I care is are they knowledgeable and competent and, preferably, do they have a decent bedside manner. One of the best GPs I’ve had was a black woman. I lost her when she moved to another state and I definitely let her know I’d miss her. Good people deserve to know they’re appreciated. @DrCockyMD, I love the flower crown look. I’ve always… Read more »

Reply to  hoppytoad79

You’re horrified that airline personnel want someone to prove they are a doctor before allowing them to assist someone?

Get that random nut job away from me! I need a DOCTOR dammit!

sheik
sheik

sorry but are the people THAT STUPID IN USA ? here in europe we have black doctors and they are extreemly good

gloria
gloria
Reply to  sheik

no not that stupid THAT prejudice, they would rather die (or kill someone else anyway) before they give it up.

Mimi Bara
Mimi Bara

Black, African American, beautiful, ladies, smart, geeks and HELL YAAAA Doctors too 🙂

Kegz

it’s so encouraging seeing black doctors, I’m in univerisity and my goal is to becoming a dentist this uplifted me 🙂

James Royster
James Royster

Will somebody please respond to this article I found on the website Gomer Blog. This to me is discriminatory. What do u think?

Female Doctors Now Required to Show ID During Flight Emergencies

Delta Airlines
announced that “all female physicians will need to show identification
during an in-flight emergency.” They are coming off of their latest controversy where a flight attendant wouldn’t believe a female African-American physician was actually a physician.

This should avoid any and all misunderstandings in the future,” Delta released in a statement.

#ThisIsWhatCredentialsLookLike

howard patters
howard patters

Weird that a flight attendant wouldn’t just take a passenger’s word that they’re a doctor. Not like the airline would be liable for any negligence occurring on their bird…

Erica Anne O. Watkins-Laing
Erica Anne O. Watkins-Laing
Reply to  howard patters

She took the the male’s word. Wonder why?

CJ
CJ
Reply to  howard patters

Did you even read the story? They took the word of a white male passenger claiming to be a doctor with no problems, so they clearly didn’t have a problem believing a passenger.

Ambrosin Francis Leonsing
Ambrosin Francis Leonsing

I’m proud to be a Black woman, and proud of the accomplishment of my people, hats off to you’ll. We don’t have to lower our standards, because they don’t want to accept what is, just do your best at all times, God will do the rest. I love you and I pray that others will follow, not just to Doctors, but professionals, we have what it takes to achieve greatness. God’s Blessings to all.

Indira Hirway
Indira Hirway

I think DELTA should immediately fire that woman!

newsrants
newsrants
Reply to  Indira Hirway

But they won’t.

Lee
Lee

Most beautiful physicians I have ever seen! Thank you for letting society’s most ignorant know what time it is!

Blaquey
Blaquey

I’m loving the movement. Shame on Delta.

maximilion
maximilion

I can’t believe this and if this wasn’t in the media don’t think I would ‚the ignorance,cockiness,superiority and downright humiliation that she showed this black woman in this mans hour of need is disgraceful-love the response of black women docs out there…

newsrants
newsrants

Beautiful, amazing women, all of them.

SheKnows
SheKnows

a damn SKY WAITRESS has the nerve to look down on a medical doctor smh. I swear nothing has changed in this country. There are still many whites who refuse to have a black doctor or nurse treat them.

trackback

[…] able to help. She didn’t lack the ability, but was prevented from helping because she didn’t look how an “actual physician” should look and didn’t produce sufficient credentials, said the flight attendant who promptly let a […]

Beverly Brown LMHC CHT

Looking at all these lovely faces made me want to cry. There was so much hope here. It made me proud to be a black woman.