[Video] After Facing Online Scorn, Ethiopian Vlogger Proves Her Blackness With a Genetics Test

Avatar • Aug 5, 2016

YouTuber, Naturally Batel was motivated to take a DNA test after commenters challenged her racial identity on her first video upload.

I never really questioned my genetic make-up until I read a flood of hate comments on my first Youtube video.”

When I made that video, a lot of people were telling me in my comments that I’m not fully black and that I must be mixed with something because I had features that look European.”

The video which Batel is referring to is “Black Girls Can Grow Long Hair.” Batel posted this video almost 3 years ago.

Out of the hundreds of comments on the video, many of them made it a point to declare Batel as “mixed” and not black.
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.37.29 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.38.08 PM

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.40.28 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.42.14 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.40.47 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.41.48 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.41.00 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.42.28 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.41.13 PM Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.42.43 PM
Batel, who is a first generation Ethiopian-American went on to address the stereotype of expecting all Africans to look one way in her video:

There is a misconception about what Africans look like. Africa is the most genetically diverse continent in the world. I don’t think it’s a valid argument to say that East Africans, South Africans or North Africans don’t look ‘African’ because people assume everyone is supposed to look like West Africans.”

To further illustrate the diversity among genetics, Batel invites her brother who looks contrastingly different than her to join her in the video. They share the same parents.
NaturallyBatel ethiopian genetics test
Batel did note that some of the comments claimed Ethiopians were actually a mixed race, something she personally had never heard of but later asked her parents if there was any truth behind the claim:

When I asked my parents about this, they confirmed it and said ‘Well, yeah, Ethiopians and people in the horn of Africa were mixed with Arabs and that’s why we look different compared to West Africans.’ That was the first time I ever heard about this. I guess it’s a taboo topic. It’s not really talked about in the Ethiopian community.”

Batel goes forward and uncovers the results received from her genetics kit:
56% East African

28% Arabian

11% North African

3% Asia Minor

2% Jewish Diaspora
Batel is even pleasantly surprised to learn she is genetically closer to Kenya than she is Ethiopia.
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 12.33.11 PM

Watch Batel’s video below:

cth4
cth4

Black girls can’t grow long hair is such a misconception. Why do ppl care anyway?!! I’m black with two black daughters and we all have long hair. How you ask?!! Bc we simply take care of it and don’t use all those commercial products…or should I say the American standards?

StraightShooter
StraightShooter

She proved exactly what the commenters said.

idris
idris

That’s petty. Commenters said that she has long hair BC she’s mixed. What’s the point? A lot darker black women with “black features” and 4c hair actually have long hair too… She doesn’t have to prove anything…

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  idris

I’m talking about the title of this article. You made a fairly lofty assumption. Mixed or biracial people shouldn’t be put into the Black category.

Karma Houdini

That’s your opinion, but everyone is mixed to a certain extent, if you go back far enough in their ancestry, including White and Asian people. I agree with Idris, this girl has mostly African ancestry, which makes her Black. African genes are dominant. 20% non-Black does not make her not Black.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  Karma Houdini

She is mixed, not an opinion. Black people with low self-esteem go around claiming everyone.

Karma Houdini

Nope, you’re wrong. It is an opinion, because the “Arab” result she got does not specify what KIND of Arab. There are plenty of Black/African Arabs. Therefore, the DNA test does not prove she’s mixed. You’re the one who seems to have low self-esteem, since you think the only way to be Black is to have 100% Black DNA. Do you even know how genetics work? Why don’t you take a DNA test. If you are Black, and don’t have 100% African ancestry, I demand you stop claiming Black right now.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

Black Arabs still belong to European race.

Rnrjr
Rnrjr
Reply to  Druhtinaz

Who the hell is 100 percent African we might as hell well say we are all mixed an shut the hell up no one is this world is 100 percent anything dark skin people can have light skin an dark skin children with different kinds of features I’m brown skin with tiny lips an nose an have monolid eye lids does that not make me black when both of my parents are black ?

Coraline

I’ve only noticed this behaviour with African-Americans, Africans do not consider mixed black nor do they claim them?

Reply to  Coraline

*that question mark was meant to be a fullstop.*

Reply to  Coraline

No one is “claiming” anyone. Mixed race people are human beings, regardless of their genetic makeup. They are not pawns in your own personal race war. Grow up.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

African does not equal black.

Coraline

Correct.There are a lot of dumb comments on here, that test proved the woman was mixed.

lis

Are you Black American or West Indian saying mixed or biracial shouldn’t be in the Black category?because.…. and if you’re African myb

Reply to  lis

Your comment is astoundingly ignorant, lis.
The commenter Straight Shooter is a Black American woman, I used to follow her. Because what? There are Black Americans and West Indian who do not “place mixed or biracial in the Black category” just as there are some who do.
What if she were African (Straight Shooter)? Myb sounds dumb and childish.
Naturally Batel is African.

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

Exactly, 28% is over a quarter Arab.

Reply to  Claudette UK

Arab is not a race. It’s an ethnicity. There are Black Arabs who looks just like sub-Saharan Africans. Are you telling me they aren’t Black? That’s like claiming someone is not Black because they speak Spanish.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

What do you mean as black? Only skin colour? Some people that belong to European race have dark and even black skin.

devans00

What the heck is full Black? Anyone who would say such a thing is embarrassingly ignorant. In America alone, people of African descent can have race mixtures of 5% to over 50% of different races from around the world.

Lola Rose
Lola Rose
Reply to  devans00

I think fully black means fully of African descent . Im Nigerian, took a DNA test and am 100 percent African , all West and Central Africa..so yes technically it is possible to be genetically “full black”. However I think to state that someones not fully black is derogatory because it is only used to make excuses for why someones pretty or why they have long hair or light skin, or to water down someones struggle. That being said “full Africans” or people with predominantly african genes can be JUST as light or have just as loose curly hair or… Read more »

OXxo
OXxo

People are sooo thick.

Even in West Africa there is a lot of genetic diversity.

Two of my brothers’ and I (people haven’t dared do it with my other siblings) laugh at many people’s ignorance over the fact they don’t realise we are siblings. For some reason many people including Black people expect that siblings will have the same skin shade, curl pattern and similar heights.

Nope.

Genes express themselves in diversely in families as well.

Y
Y
Reply to  OXxo

I’m East African and the above is basically my life story except I have two sisters. I’m dark skinned, medium height, curvy, have a wide nose, and light brown eyes and natural hair. The middle one looks a lot like the girl in the video except she relaxes her hair done and is short. The youngest is super tall and skinny medium tone and had dark brown eyes and a button nose, also relaxes her hair. Same parents, look completely different. When people refuse to believe we are related, it’s their issue not ours.

Bea
Bea

This is interesting, especially the part of her having Luhya blood. Who knew that Kenyans and Ethiopians are related? And how can the DNA result be so specific as to single out 1 particularly Kenyan tribe (Bantu tribes are numerous).

awet
awet
Reply to  Bea

Who knew that Kenyans and Ethiopians are related?” Have you ever looked at a map or seen a Kenyan or Ethiopian. We are very likely to be related or inter-mixed!!!

Bea
Bea
Reply to  awet

Tee hee! I am Kenyan :-), and no, we don’t look at all related to Ethiopians. Honestly, it just didn’t occur to me, especially given the larger groupings of Bantu, Nilot and Cushite. Luo’s and Swahili both come from one country, but no one would look at them and think, “that’s one intermixed group of people!”. Also, I commented again above that she doesn’t really have Luhya blood like she intimates in the video , that was a reference population. She was looking at the results for the first time while taping so I can see why she got that… Read more »

AuntyUgo
AuntyUgo
Reply to  awet

Hmm… I’m Nigerian (and an African phenotype enthusiast– LOL) and I have always noticed the resemblance between Ethiopians and Kenyans…

Esha Fowlin
Esha Fowlin
Reply to  Bea

All these dna text are not 100% accurate they match your dna to like a database of samples unless they have the samples of all different types of humans dna something can be missed. I watched a Chinese geneticist explain this after he concluded all Chinese came from Africa as well…thus I’m sure the dna test she took is also lacking…

Bea
Bea

Interesting. The part about being genetically closer to Kenya is wrong though. The Luhya(Kenya) was a reference for comparison purposes. It shows that the typical Luhya from Kenya is 81% East African and only 2% Arabian. She, an Ethiopian, has less East African and more Arabian ancestry than a your average Luhya. So, although I could care less about whether she’s “black enough” to include herself in the black-girls-can-have-long-hair bandwagon, these results don’t really help her case. There are African Americans with more African ancestry than she has.

Reply to  Bea

What do you mean as African ancestry? Northern Africans are Africans too.

Bea
Bea
Reply to  Ondavaarg

Yes, your right, they are.

Reply to  Bea

So she is same African as Bantu or Khoi-San people.

North
North
Reply to  Bea

North African is also African and she has 11% North African ancestry.

Kiaunta Hubbard
Kiaunta Hubbard

I think a certain percentage of Ethiopians are mixed with Arab(like this young lady) but a larger percentage are not. They have Cushitic African features..thinner noses due to the higher altitudes..some with kinky hair..a lot with softer looser hair types. They are the elongated version Sub-Saharan Africans.They have an African strain similar to West Africans & Bantu groups but unique to itself. Their features are their own and not a result of a racial mix. ‘Pure’ Cushitic types would likely be the Oromo possibly of Ethiopia & a larger percentage of Somalis in Somalia.

Ondavaarg

Ethiopians are a result of racial mix. They speak Afroasiatic languages, like Arabs or Jews or ancient Egyptians. When Bantu people came to the East of Africa they mixed with people belonging to Caucasian race.

Esha Fowlin
Esha Fowlin
Reply to  Ondavaarg

Don’t come on this site to contradict black people @kiaunta is right the girl even said it in the video some are mixed most are not. Plus many scientists will argue that Arab its self is not a race and that there a black and white and mixed Arabs.…hence not all Ethiopians are mixed…

Reply to  Esha Fowlin

There are no white or black races. Races are different by other things, like crane or nose. Some populations that belong to European race have very dark skin.

Reply to  Druhtinaz

Lol! So there are no white or black races, but race differences can be attain through other things!? So skin color is irrelevant now!?The crane and nose is it…after centuries of race being one of the apex for racial classification!? And on one hand you say some early Europeans were dark skin, but Africans are not the original people!? So all of the archeological findings and the result of the genome project that showed life started in Africa, got this all wrong!? But you say some early Europeans populations were indeed dark skin!? The fact that you can’t even see… Read more »

Reply to  Guest

Modern Africans are not original people. They changed like others. About skin colour — it was main in past, but… We are not living in past. Skin colour in populations belonging to European race differs from white to black, but they still belong to European race by other features.

Reply to  Druhtinaz

“Modern Africans are not original people. They changed like others. “–Changed!? So the genome project and the genetic testing that was done on Eve got it all wrong!? Sweetheart, modern Africans are the DESCENDANTS of the original people–The DNA has been mutating for thousands of years in Sub–sahara Africans more than all other populations COMBINED. Sub-saharan Africans have the greatest DNA variation (google the genome project if you must), and all other populations came from them before mixing with Neanderthals outside of Sub-sahara Africa. Sub-sahara Africans have the oldest DNA (Khoisan population in SA), and is the closest to the… Read more »

Reply to  Guest

Do you understand that skin colour IS NOT main? Paint me black and i wont become Congoid or Khoi-San.

Reply to  Ondavaarg

Citations needed. Ethiopians are not mixed. Arab is not a race, it is an ethnicity. Same with Jewish. There were no ancient Caucasian people in Africa for the Bantu to mix with, so what are you talking about? Are you actually arguing that Egyptians were white? If so, I suggest you do more research. They were Black. I think you are confusing modern day peoples (SOME of which are mixed) with the original/ancient people.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

No ancient European people in Africa? What about speakers of Afroasiatic languages and Mechta-Afalou people? Migration of Bantu tribes started later than Northern Africa (and the Horn of Africa) were colonized by people speaking Afroasiatic languages.

Reply to  Ondavaarg

First, Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia anyone can edit, is not a credible source. Any college professor can tell you that. Second, “people speaking Afroasiatic languages” were not European. The very fact that point languages originating in Africa/Asia is kind of a dead giveaway.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

They were not European? Lol. Then why people speaking them mostly belong to European race? And why Afroasiatic languages are close to Nostratic(Indo-European, Altaic, Uralic)? European race DOES NOT EQUAL white. (in the same time, gene of white skin was brought to Europe from Middle East). Norther Africa is the place of European race, Sub-Saharan — Congoid and Khoi-San. Or you think that Europeans lived only in Europe? Then we have nothing to speak about.

Reply to  Druhtinaz

LMAO! We already know we created you. So is this the new dance now!? The science is dismantling your white supremacy so the new mantra now is–European does not equal the white race anymore!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You are a champion of the black isrealites. Simply hilarious!

Reply to  Ondavaarg

LMAO, I just read that Wikipedia link you posted. It’s literally only 2 paragraphs long. Did you seriously just sit here and write up a bogus wiki page just to make an argument in a blog comment section? And even if you didn’t, that is the most obviously fradulent article I’ve seen in a long time. And seeing as this is Wikipedia we’re talking about, that’s saying something.

Kiaunta Hubbard
Kiaunta Hubbard
Reply to  Ondavaarg

You are misinformed. Their DNA does not say that. Also, why don’t they look like your typical mulatto, where many have wider facial features?? They have their own look. Why don’t many of them have larger hooked nose like some Arabs? Most of the time, it is the other way around. Arabs have traces of THEIR dna…many Caucasian groups have traces of their DNA. They may be some of the oldest human groups after the Khoisan.

Sheeka Johnson
Sheeka Johnson

This happened to me and I lost a friend because of it because she said because I have long silky hair I couldn’t comment on Blu Ivy’s hair not beung ccombed? Combed is combed no matter what grade of hair you have and my long silky hair has maintained because of quality haircare. Crabs in a barrel.

melimelon67
melimelon67
Reply to  Sheeka Johnson

What does Blue Ivy’s hair have anything to do with this??? I’m so confused.

Reply to  Sheeka Johnson

Imbecile.…..you and your ‘longsilkyhair’.

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Sheeka Johnson

Who the hell has graded hair now? Hair is hair. Some have straight, wavy, curly, afro textured why does it need to be graded?

Blackwomannucleus
Blackwomannucleus

Such a lack of education/knowledge. Saddened this young woman felt compelled to “prove” she was/is black.

trackback

[…] this week, I ran across a article on bglh-marketplace.com. A Ethiopian Youtuber, Naturally Batel, took a DNA test to prove her “blackness”. She […]

Sandy
Sandy

Those woman who said she wasn’t black really need to go back to dam school and educated themselves. what an ignorant bunch of dumb woman to think its ok to tell her what they think shes mixed with. off the bat I can tell she’s no way near mixed with white. Ethiopian is all I see in her.

Karma Houdini

This is ridiculous. Ethiopians are not “mixed”. They are Black and come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors, like everyone else. “Arab” is not a race, it is an ethnicity, just like Jewish. There are Black, White, and Asian Arabs. No one needs to “prove” their blackness. The only reason this is an issue to some is because so many are still brainwashed into believing “fully” Black people can’t grow long hair, which is untrue. What I find funny is that it’s only ever blackness that’s questioned. No one looks at a blonde haired, blue eyed white girl… Read more »

merry
merry
Reply to  Karma Houdini

her test proved ethiopians, esp. certain ethnic groups, are mixed.

this arab is not a race but an ethnicity thing from you is ridiculous. i’m blacker or “purer” than she is. lol.

Reply to  merry

First off, race is a social construct. Humans are 98% the same, genetically. The differences are more cultural, with some superficial physical variations, like skin color. How did it prove Ethiopians are mixed? This is one person, even if she was mixed, she doesn’t represent an entire group of people. Prove me wrong, give me some facts from an unbiased source that prove “Arab” is a race. Google “race” and you will find that anthropologists only consider three groups to be actual “races”: Caucasian, African (Negroid), and Asian. Latino, Jewish, Arab, etc, are all just ethnicities under which different races… Read more »

uhoh-ohno
uhoh-ohno
Reply to  Karma Houdini

Google MENA peoples. In the not too distant future, there will be a separate racial category for people of Middle Eastern and North African descent.

uhoh-ohno
uhoh-ohno
Reply to  merry

The reason why “Karma Houdini” keeps saying Arabs aren’t a race is because there’s no officially recognized term for people of Middle Eastern and North African or (MENA) descent. These people, Arabs, Persians, and such are usually just classified as a subset of Asians. In the US, anyway, the census bureau is considering adopting the term MENA as a racial classification for “Arabs.” Years from now, when the US Census Bureau lists MENA under Black, White, Asian and Native American as an official race category, you can come back to this thread and say, “I told you so. Arab is… Read more »

Reply to  Karma Houdini

Africans are not original people.

Allison Graham
Allison Graham

I’m sorry but didn’t she just proved what the people in the comment section was saying? She is indeed mixed!!! People might say the commentors we’re being ignorant,but they called that bs.She was the one who was obviously ignorant for thinking Ethiopians are ” pure” african!. She didn’t know shit about her own people’s racial makeup. She had to ask her parents and get a gentics test!! Now she knows!

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  Allison Graham

What’s the problem with her asking her parents, or getting a genetic test? Your response is just completely rude.

Allison Graham
Allison Graham

The problem is she’s the one who was proven to be ignorant! She was probably thinking how rude and uneducated her commenters were ( the majority being black)for not knowing anything about Africa, just to be proven wrong. She’s the one who needed to be educated! Period.

ver
ver
Reply to  Allison Graham

yeh thats right!

Reply to  Allison Graham

Nope. Ethiopians are not necessarily mixed. “Arab” is not a race, it’s an ethnicity/culture. There are Black Arabs, so all this test “proved” is that she is African mixed with…African.

merry
merry

you’re deluded.

Reply to  merry

What a solid argument. I’m “deluded” because I know the difference between ethnicity and race? Nope, you’re just uneducated.

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Allison Graham

If you mean by being pure you have to be 100% then there are many Africans who you would not consider African.

Allison Graham
Allison Graham
Reply to  maralondon

You didn’t notice the quotations around pure?

Reply to  Allison Graham

What do you mean as “pure african”?

Brice Taylor
Brice Taylor

Blackness is not all about skin tone. The Sun people of South Africa have reddish complexions.

eljjai
eljjai
Reply to  Brice Taylor

San not Sun. and it’s actually an offensive term.

merry
merry
Reply to  Brice Taylor

this is not about complexion. if the san people took a dna test, it wouldn’t go anywhere but to africa. this woman’s dna traced to the middle east, etc — outside of africa.

Itumeleng
Itumeleng
Reply to  Brice Taylor

Exactly. I am Southern African with partial San heritage, and it shows in my skin tone and hair. Go to South Africa and Botswana and one can see we have intermixed with the San. Here in London I have many Ethiopian friends, these sisters are definitely mixed. Why is it hard for black people on this board to accept that. I think its envy. I see so many African women desperately wanting to be mistaken for Ethiopian when they look nothing like them. I talked to a Ugandan woman a few days ago who swore she was mistaken for Ethiopian,… Read more »

james
james

This is nothing but people with low self esteem feeling the need to disqualify someone else’s blackness because they dont look just like them.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  james

Wrong. She is mixed. Some Black people refuse to recognize that mixed/biracial people aren’t just Black. Therefore, they shouldn’t just be viewed as Black, but all that they are.

Ondavaarg

What do you mean as Black?

Karma Houdini

Nope. Ethiopians are not necessarily mixed. “Arab” is not a race, it’s an ethnicity/culture. Since there are Black Arabs, so all this test “proved” is that she is African mixed with…African.

Natanya
Natanya
Reply to  Karma Houdini

And an Irish American mixed with a Nigerian American is just an American, right? Nationality has nothing to do with race/ethnicity.

Reply to  Natanya

…When did I say nationality had anything with race? You are the one saying “Irish” and “Nigerian” when those are nationalities, not races. There are Black Irish, so you have to be more specific. If you are talking about a person that is half White Irish and half Black Nigerian, than that person would be a half-black, half-white person. What is your point? Nothing you’ve said refutes my statement that Arab is not a race, therefore you don’t know that this young lady is “mixed.”

james
james

Shes 28 percent arab. Many east africans are mixed with arab because of the proximity to the middle east and the arab expansion.

MOST black people in america are part white due to race mixing as well, due to slavery. Do you suggest we dna test every black person before they can be an advocate? What is the acceptable threshold? 80 percent black? 90 percent?75? On what authority considering the history of racial identity in america and the world at large? You sound very ignorant.

Natanya
Natanya
Reply to  james

There is no “threshold” but certainly 56% is just half. Half Chinese will not make me Chinese. I will be Half Chinese and Half something else.

Reply to  Natanya

Why do you keep saying 56%? You are just ignoring the North African 11%? So NAs aren’t Black now? At the very least, she’s 67% Black, and since we don’t know what race the “Arab” or “Jewish” part belongs to, you can’t definitively state what her racial makeup is. There’s a reason genetic ancestry tests are so impercise. It’s because “race” is a made up concept that has no scientific basis.

Reply to  james

Arabs are same Africans as others because they live in Africa.

MyTake305
MyTake305

This is ignorant. Basically you’re saying everyone is mixed then. I’m sorry, but if your parents and grandparents are all the same race and you’re claiming mixed, you’re reaching.

Reply to  james

Part of it is also that many of the commentors are mad that they have short damaged hair, but instead of changing their hair care regimen, they blame “genetics”, claiming that it must be because they aren’t mixed. That’s why anytime a Black woman has long hair she MUST be mixed or be secretly wearing a weave. /eyeroll

You nailed it.

Reply to  james

Your comment doesn’t make sense.
What are they disqualifying? They comments said that she was not fully black and mixed with something, which is true from the test.
What has self esteem got do with this article?

ugh
ugh

She literally just proved she is mixed.
Half black and a bunch of other nonsense.
This is stupid.

Reply to  ugh

Nope. She’s not necessarily mixed. “Arab” is not a race, it’s an ethnicity/culture. There are Black Arabs, so all this test “proved” is that she is African mixed with…African.

merry
merry
Reply to  Karma Houdini

the fact you called them black arabs suggests the opposite of the point you’re trying to make. trust and believe arabs do not view “black” arabs as being anything like them.

Reply to  merry

It doesn’t matter what they view them as. The facts are that Arab is not a race, it is a culture. There are Arabs of all races, same with Jews or Latinos. Seriously, how hard is this to understand? Just Google “black Arabs”.

Natanya
Natanya
Reply to  Karma Houdini

She is not Black. Everyone know what Black African means. The Arabs invaded the northern part of the continents centuries ago. Blondes are not native to the America just because they have invaded it and colonized it and lived here for centuries. Right? But who cares. She should be proud to be Arab + Asian + African. She knows the truth now. She should embrace who she is.

Reply to  Natanya

Everyone native to the continent of Africa is Black. The “Arabs” who invaded the continent were not of just one race because, again, Arab is not a race, it is a culture/ethnicity. Ask any anthropologist. Also, not all North Africans are mixed. Light skin and other “thin” features came from Black people to begin with.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

You’re schooling a lot people here.

Reply to  Natanya

WHO ARE YOU TO SAY WHOS BLACK OR NOT and why are you so adamant about her not Blackness, according to you.

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Natanya

The people of Arab and Asian origin are a result of mixing African and other. Telling someone you are an Arab will not automatically reveal your race. Sometimes these tests don’t make any sense.

Black arabs? You sure?

maralondon
maralondon

Exactly.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

Skin colour is not everything. Some people that belong to European race have very dark skin. But i agree with your last sentence.

Jenny
Jenny

I don’t comment often but here goes. To the people that said she has proven that she is mixed, remember that genetic testing goes back further than a few generations. For example I believe I am black because of my mother and father who are both black. However if I did genetic testing I know for sure that there is some American Indian because of my great-great grandmother and some European because of my great-great-great grandfather but I would not call myself mixed in the “traditional” sense of the word, so why are we dragging this girl through the coals… Read more »

merry
merry
Reply to  Jenny

while most black americans will have mixture, it will not be. more than 50% of something else on a dna test, which is her situation. it’ll usually be around 10–15%.

she really isnt’ black. lol. she’s ethiopian though — and for many of them, that means mixed.

Reply to  Jenny

Thank you Jenny. People are so ignorant. If having anything other than 100% “pure” blood makes you mixed, then literally everyone on Earth is mixed, lol. Race is a made up concept anyway.

devans00

Most Americans of African decent who have been in the country before 1950 have some mixture of races. From the darkest skin to the most pale, that’s just reality.

Because of white supremacy, European features are considered more desirable. Some are still learning to appreciate the beauty of other features.

Lola Rose
Lola Rose
Reply to  devans00

Yea I know pretty much all African Americans are mixed down the line due to the history of how they came to America even if its just by 1%, but to state that “no one who is black is fully black” is ignorant. There are going to be Africans who have literally never come into contact with white people or any other race, let alone mixed with them, so that idea is preposterous.

Coraline

I’m Nigerian too, I’m surprised that people don’t know dumb they sound when they say there’s no such thing as a fully black person.
Full blacks exist just as full whites and Asians exist.

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl

Enlighten us please. Who are the original people?

Reply to  Victoria Owl

There are no original people now. Khoi-San people are the closest to them genetically, but i am sure that they just saved the genes of first people.

Reply to  Druhtinaz

There are no original peopple now, but Khoi-San people are the closest to them genetically!? Lol, you stay contradicting yourself. And you’re sure that they just “saved” the genes of first people!? That ish doesn’t even make sense. Sweetheart, the people now are the descendant of the original people, so they are a modern version of the original people. They didn’t “save” the genes, it got passed down from generations to generations , mutating to fit the changing environment. Unless the “original” all died, your premise doesn’t hold water. The original people didn’t disappear/die off like the Neanderthal, the genes… Read more »

Reply to  Guest

Closest doesnt mean same.

Reply to  Druhtinaz

Sweetheart, your responses have been all other the place on this board. You made a statement that African blacks are not the original people and you were proven wrong. The “original” people did not die off, so therefore the people today would be their descendants. Anthropoligist and the genome project have already confirmed this. Now you’re grasping at straws with “closest doesn’t mean same”–Are you seriously this stupid!?!? Are you the exact same as your parents? Is your DNA identical to your parents like they’re your twin!? Your DNA is the CLOSEST to your parents, but of course it’s not… Read more »

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl

So are you saying that race is defined by one’s features vs the color of the skin?

Reply to  Victoria Owl

Yes. European race skin colour, as example, differs from white to black. Some Mongolian people have dark skin too. But they are European or Mongolian by other features.

Natanya
Natanya

She is half African like mos Ethiopians. This is common sense. What does anyone expect from East African history and geography? Why is this such a big deal. She is not “Black”. So what?!

Reply to  Natanya

If SHE says she’s Black , who are you to say she isn’t because she looks “Black” to me.

Natanya
Natanya

Oh and I am a Navajo because I live in America?

Reply to  Natanya

Not even remotely the same thing. Most Arabs are North African. They are not a race but an ethnicity, which intermixed with other groups in Africa. The Navajo, OTOH, were nearly wiped out in mass genecide by a group of people that generally look DRAMATICALLY different from them (white people). There are Black Arabs that look indistinguishable from other Black people and are identical to them genetically. Nice try with the strawman argument, though.

Reply to  Natanya

You are American because you live in America.

Hilary
Hilary

My friends of Indian origin average length is waist length (with no special regimen, not even deep conditioning). It hurts me to see hair vloggers having to take vitamins for hair in addition to strict good hair care regimes and expensive products, none of my local biracial friends do that and their average hair length is bra strap length (again with no special hair regimen). Needless to say I pick hair videos according to hair type. So whether you are from the North, West, South or East of Africa, if your hair looks nothing like mine, i’ll pass. If you’require… Read more »

Hilary
Hilary

My friends of Indian origin average hair length is waist length (with no special regimen, not even deep conditioning). It hurts me to see hair vloggers having to take vitamins for hair in addition to strict good hair care regimes and expensive products, and yet none of my biracial friends do that and their average hair length is bra strap length (again with no special hair regimen). Needless to say I pick hair videos according to hair type. So whether you are from the North, West, South or East of Africa, if your hair looks nothing like mine, i’ll pass.… Read more »

Reply to  Hilary

No one said “hair has nothing to do with genetics.” We’re saying that the ability to GROW LONG HAIR has nothing to do with genetics. Anyone can have long hair. The only reason your Indian and biracial friends may have an easier time growing long hair than SOME Black women may have, is because they aren’t constantly killing their hair trying to make it do something that it doesn’t do naturally. With a good hair regimen, ANYONE can have long, healthy hair. It’s HAIR CARE, NOT genetics that matter. I suggest you look up the many Black African (Nigerian, Ghanian,… Read more »

chanela
chanela
Reply to  Karma Houdini

They weren’t putting non black women on a pedestal, just telling the truth. a lot of biracial wome and non black women DONT have to ddo jack schitt to their hair and it grows long effortlessly. no special products no techniques. Most can even abuse the hell out of their hair by dying it every other week,blow drying and flat ironing it everyday,and using harsh shampoo twice a day.

Guest

Arabs is an ETHNICITY that was classified as a race by whites in America by the census bureau for self-serving purposes. They did not “belong to the Europrean “race” before then, just like the many other “ethnicities” that got added under the white unbrella over the years. Arabs are mixture of both Africans and Europeans, so therefore some Arabs can come out looking black depending on the phenotype and genetic makeup. Just like there can be Afro-Latinos (Latino’s another ethnicity trying to classify as a race), there can be Dark skin Arabs. So Karma Houdini is correct. An Arab person… Read more »

Reply to  Guest

Thank you. As funny as it’s been laughing at the antics of that commenter, it’s become obvious that he/she is just trolling and/or some type of White supremacist.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

This person is a prime example of a white supremacist grasping at the last straw of their flailing white supremacy.

I watched a documentary on redlining and the racism that blacks had to endure. They made all these ridiculous rules that blacks had to follow in order to even compete and once they met them, the rules were then changed.

This person is a prime example of how white supremacy works. You meet all the rules to qualify, so now the rules have to change.

–European as a race does not equal white anymore. Unreal!

Karma Houdini

Yes they are. Anthropologists and historians far smarter than you have traced the human race back to a single African female they nicknamed “Lucy.” Try opening a book before you open your mouth.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

Most of modern Africans are not close to original people. E haplogroup is not of African origin.

Reply to  Druhtinaz

You don’t even understand the stuff your posting. E haplogroup is primarily found in Asians, Middle Eastern and Europeans, but the frequency with the highest diversity is found in Africans. The original hypotheses was that it originated in Asia and migrated back to Africa, but the frequency and the diversity of the gene in the African population does not support this. The new report revised that although the frequency was higher outside of Africa, but the diversity of the gene was higher inside of Africa. So the new standing hypothesis is that the African Haplogroup is only a bit older… Read more »

Karma Houdini

That’s my point. Race is a social construct, which makes arguing about who is mixed pointless. Which Europeans have black skin? European is not a race btw, I think you mean White. There are Black Europeans. So why is it that you consider a European with Black skin to be still White, but a Black person with 10% white DNA is “mixed”? That doesn’t make sense.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

White is not a race. European does not equal white. European race people with dark skin live in Northern Africa.

Karma Houdini

Says you…and maybe some White supremacists who want to claim everything other than “sub-Saharan” Africans as White. Let me guess, you’re not Black, are you? Arabs are not white, they come from North Africa or Asia, depending on the country they’re from. BTW, technically Europe is part of Asia (it is not a seperate continent, that’s why they call it Eurasia.), so if we really want to get petty about it, technically White people are Asian.

Karma Houdini

You are being incredibly ignorant right now. The shape of someone’s nose determines what race they are? You realize that race is just a made-up concept invented by racists to justify slavery, right? Every physical feature originated in Africa with BLACK people. You have a very narrow view of what makes someone Black, yet you seem to have a very broad view of what makes someone White. Hmm, yeah, that’s not suspect at all.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

You have a very narrow view of what makes someone Black, yet you seem to have a very broad view of what makes someone White. Hmm, yeah, that’s not suspect at all.”–And there it is right there. You’ll see in the next centuries. Everyone will be white. HILARIOUS!!!

Reply to  Karma Houdini

Black is just a colour of skin. Albino Congoid Africans are still Congoid Africans and black Europeoid people are still Europeoid.

Karma Houdini

You just said Africans are not the original people. You realized that the Khoi-San, originate is Southern Africa, right? You are a mess.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

Do you know what is Y‑DNA haplogroup? And do you understand that Khoi-San people are a very small part of Africans?

Reply to  Druhtinaz

“Do you know what is Y‑DNA haplogroup”–I can guarantee the scientist of the genome project who’ve proven the African origin theory knows far more about it than you do. The Adam gene is the best you could come back with after your original posts gets dismantled!? How pitiful. And how are the Khoi-San people a very small part of Africans when they’re the oldest African population in Africa!?! That doesn’t even make sense. They are in Africa, which would make them African. They are one of the most indegineous groups in Africa, you can’t get any more African than that.… Read more »

Karma Houdini

Yup, you hit the nail on the head. This Ondavaarg person is trying to construct some kind of alternate reality wherein White people were the original people and everyone else is secretly White. This idiot went so far as to link me an obviously bogus Wikipedia page that he/she probably wrote, which catagorizes Ethiopians as “Eropid”. The desperation would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

I dont say that everybody is white. I just say that modern races are not close to original people, i understand that original people were black BUT they were different from every modern race.

Karma Houdini

The vast majority of the time it does, especially if we’re talking about the original inhabitants and not the colonizers like the Dutch South Africans.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

What about Northern Africans? Some of them have white skin, some have dark and they still mostly belong to European race.

Karma Houdini

Are two different people typing your comments, or are you just trolling? Because you have contradicted yourself all over these comments.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

When did i contradict myself? If you think that Afican is a race then you are completely uneducated.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

This troll keeps contradicting itself. This is ignorance at its finest on display.

What’s a great feature?

Lola Rose
Lola Rose
Reply to  lis

A great feature is the same as a nice feature, as in, facial feature. That can include eyes, nose, mouth, hair..you get it? I don’t know if I can simplify it more.

lis

But these tweets are from 2 years ago.….why stir this up and get people agitated.…or is that the point.…smh.

KathTea Katastrophy
KathTea Katastrophy
Reply to  lis

YouTube comments, you mean. Genetics tests are only recently more common and accessible, thus her taking the test months ago. Regardless, doing a genetic test is for yourself not haters.

Tintswalo Baadjie
Tintswalo Baadjie

I am black person from Africa (South Africa to be specific). I find it very strange that people from America are disputing that a person from Africa is black! we have a lot of people from Kenya/Ethiopia here in South Africa and I have never heard anyone refusing that they are black even if they have angular features with loose curl hair pattern. We just accept that people from that region have those type of features. How and why is never an issue of their blackness. Why is this an obsession in USA?

maralondon
maralondon

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ondavaarg

Black is not a race. You are from South Africa?

Ondavaarg

Ethiopians have their own look because they have their own race, mix of Europeoid and Congoid. If you check Ethiopian haplogroups (check pictures) you will find out that they have both African and non-African haplogroups. Males have only 19% of Sub-Saharan Y‑DNA haplogroups.
comment imagecomment image

Karma Houdini

I’m not sure if this comment was aimed at me or not, but I’m already well aware of where the concept of race comes from and social implications it brings. I wasn’t saying that “I” believe there are 3 races, I was saying that anthropologists consider those to be the “racial categories”. If you read the rest of my comments, you would see that I don’t believe that the concept of “race” has any biological validity. It is a social construct. I was just making the point that “Arab” is not a race, EVEN if you are going by the… Read more »

Karma Houdini

I never said African is a race. Point out the comment where I said that. You are trolling hard.

Karma Houdini

Uh-huh. While you’re over here predicting the future, I’m over here dealing in the facts of the present. And the FACTS are that Arabs come in all different races. Are you going to sit here and pretend that Black Arabs don’t exist? Because I go to school with them. Sorry that the facts don’t support your delusions.

North Africans are sometimes mixed, but mostly Black. Why do you want them to be non-Black so badly?

uhoh-ohno
uhoh-ohno
Reply to  Karma Houdini

That MENA term isn’t new or radical. It just hasn’t yet been officially recognized by the US Census Bureau. Racial categories have never been completely static at the USCB. It doesn’t mean that the racial/ethnic backgrounds of those people are invalid or don’t exist. All that means is that they have yet to be accurately defined and counted. I mean, it’s nice that you go to school with black Arabs, but the majority of people in the Middle East do not fall into the stereotypical Asian paradigm (East Asian, Southeast Asian, etc), nor are they usually black or white, yet… Read more »

Reply to  uhoh-ohno

I know what MENA is, so nice try with the condecension. I never said it was a new concept, just that it does not change the fact that at PRESENT, “Arab” is a culture, not a race. I never said “North Africans are often mixed” YOU projected that. I said they are SOMETIMES mixed. Again, I reiterate that I don’t believe in the concept of “race”. It is not a thing. I’m only saying “race” here because it’s the concept we’re discussing. North Africans are simply African, what they look like doesn’t mean anything, because ALL of the features and… Read more »

Karma Houdini

You can’t possibly be this stupid. You’re trying so hard to troll that you’re not even bothering to take basic genetics into account. I’m so done with your nonsense.

Karma Houdini

Take this nonsense back to your neo-Nazi white supremacist website.

Reply to  Karma Houdini

Whats wrong? You disagree that Afroasiatic languages are close to Nostratic? Or you disagree that Europeoid race does not equal white colour of skin?

Reply to  Karma Houdini

This is their new dance girl. The science is dismantling their white supremacy and they are now desperate.

European does not equal white anymore.

Bwahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha….

Ok, sweetie.

Karma Houdini

White is not a race”? Yes, because race is a social construct that has no scientific basis. HOWEVER, we are still discussing race, so for the purposes of this conversation, White is indeed a race. The rest of your comments, like all your comments on this article, makes no damn sense.

Guest

Do you understand that skin colour IS NOT main?”–Do you understand you’re prime example of an ignorant white supramecist!?

Paint me black and i wont become Congoid or Khoi-San.”–It doesn’t matter what we paint you. You would still be an ignorant white supremacist grasping at straws to uphold your flailing superiority complex.

So try again ’cause we see right through you.

Ondavaarg

I always said that Europeoid race does not equal white skin of colour. I found one common thing in all comments — when you have no arguments you start to call me white supremacist or nazi. Very funny.

Ondavaarg

Modern Africans do not equal original people because modern races originated after people leaved Africa. Just look at Khoi-San people — are they same to Bantu people? But even they are not absolutely original people because they changed with time (but not as much as other humans)
P.S. I often see that you or other people say about African origin of humanity like i disagree with it. Did i say that humans is not from Africa? Humans obviously are from Africa. Somebody needs to learn to read. Or to understand what is written.

Ondavaarg

the frequency with the highest diversity is found in Africans.” — northern Africans are Africans too. E1 haplogroup is mostly in Northern Africa, Middle Asia and Europe, E2 — Sub-Saharan Africa. Lots of people speaking Afroasiatic languages have E1.

lis

I have never heard any Black woman in person or online wish they were Ethiopian…projecting maybe?

lis

Don’t bother…this person might be Ethiopian and I’ve heard some of them are convinced they’re white.….sooo.…but yes to everything you said.

Name one

lis

I asked because you seem to be implying that a great feature is outside the realm of ‘a full Black’.…I could be wrong though…might just be word usage.

AnonymousThouART
AnonymousThouART

So she is 67% African ok. Pretty black ya ask 56 East African + 11% North

TinyTim
TinyTim

Whatever. I just want to say that I have never met/seen an unattractive Ethiopian in my life. I cannot say that about any other race/ethnicity. Seriously the most gorgeous people on the planet

Jumoke
Jumoke

but… Black Americans are on average a quarter White so who’s really Black here

Linda
Linda

I am awestruck by the comments I’ve just read. The comments just proved that we as black people, don’t know anything about the continent and are truly products of the white western education system. First and foremost, to the person who said that there are only 3 races in the world… the first thing you need to ask yourself is “who created the concept of ‘race’, why did they create it and how did they use it to benefit themselves?” Hint: Scientific Racism / eugenics — theories that somehow are seen as facts using anthropology (used to justify slavery of… Read more »

Linda
Linda

This girls DNA results are in a way very misleading to people who are not familiar with the ethnic groups of Africa. according to ancestry.com, North African means the indigenous ethnic groups of the African north: Maghreb Berbers (Amazigh, Taureg) these people also share ancient DNA ancestry with people from eastern horn of Africa (they are ancestral cousins) Also, most Maghreb Berbers are mixed with the true and original Arabs who originated from the Arabian Peninsula — the Bedouins The Bedouins were a nomadic group who migrated all over the middle east and into Africa, and mixed with the people… Read more »

Guest

I guess since Im from America an I have tiny lips an nose with monolid eyelids with brown skin an come from two black parents lm not black