*UPDATE*: Top Beauty Vlogger Blasts Black-Owned Cosmetics Company For Not Sending Her Free Products (VIDEO RESPONSE INCLUDED)

Avatar • Aug 8, 2016

Beauty Vlogger Alissa Ashley has amassed a huge following in under two years. She has nearing 300,000 subscribers, and with her talent it’s no surprise:

tumblr_o0letxZ6Po1u99mklo1_1280

With such an impressive following, it’s no wonder brands such as Too Faced, MakeupGeek, and Anastasia Beverly Hills have Alissa Ashley listed on their PR lists to receive their latest product launches.

Things recently got a little bit hairy for Alissa, however, when she made public a disagreement she had with the owner of Juvia’s Place. According to Alissa’s now-deleted video, she had a pre-existing relationship with Juvia’s Place and was under the impression that she would be receiving the company’s newly-released Masquerade Palette.  When the responses she received from Juvia’s Place were not to her liking, Ashley published the following text message exchange to her twitter account:

alissa-ashley-juvia's-place

2rh2v42

Juvia’s Place posted the following message to their Instagram account:

Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 12.39.01 PM

Some twitter users were quick to share their thoughts about Alissa Ashley’s since-deleted tweets:

dvh6ys Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 12.43.03 PM

Others posters on Facebook and Twitter, however, shared their understanding for Alissa’s position.

Vlogger Jackie Aina tweeted:

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 1.39.18 PM

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 1.40.24 PM

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 1.36.19 PM

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 1.34.29 PM

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 1.41.10 PM

Alissa Ashley issued the following statement to BGLH:

I would NEVER step out of my character over free makeup. As an affiliate of Juvia’s Place, me receiving the new releases is something that has been occurring since I began working with them because thats how this works. The lack of communication is what got us here. And I refuse to allow people to paint me out to be a horrible person when that isn’t what I’m about and this video will explain everything

What are your thoughts?

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

cryssi
cryssi

Hilarious

The Natural n Fit XP
The Natural n Fit XP

She’s stupid because now that she has been put on blast; their gonna get the support she though she was trying to give and she looks like a begging ass idiot! That’s sad! If you wanna support, support without expecting handouts.

Toni ToniToni
Toni ToniToni

What was she thinking. She has more than enough coins to buy the product. Why would she even trip or even post this? #NoBueno Seems it may have done more hurt than good.

Sigh

nyx
nyx

I don’t think she should be asking/begging anyone to send her free products. If she is that interested in the company and wants to try their product she should purchase it. I personally always wonder how biased product reviews are when people don’t actually purchase the product.

Support black owned businesses by showing you believe in the product and purchase the product!

Chrissie ?

The entitlement that some of these influencers have is disgusting. As an influencer myself, We don’t need any more people looking at us and thinking we’re annoying and naggy like that. It makes us look bad.

Alissa Ashley needs to have several seats _/ _/ _/ _/

xo
lipstickvillain.com

bb ragusa (the medium ragu)
bb ragusa (the medium ragu)

Thank you. Stay blessed.” is going to be my response to bullshit for at least the rest of the week.…

T. Thomas
T. Thomas

I actually agree with her (probably the only one who works in this field). If you want “free publicity ” then you need to give the influencer the product for free. It’s not a lifetime supply. It’s one palette. If you can’t spare a palette because you are having supply issues with your actual orders, then say so. The alternative is having her buy a palette and then charge you for the promotion… a palette is a much lower cost. I’m all for promoting black business but if this business wants to stomp with the big boys and use influencers… Read more »

Zefrenchvanilla
Zefrenchvanilla
Reply to  T. Thomas

The problem is that according to Alissa (I watched her video before she deleted it) in the end the owner said she will send the palette free of charge. Alissa was not impressed because it got out of stock and she kept pushing. The owner explained that she had been overwhelmed with demand and then they clashed because Alissa was getting in her feelings. I do not condone the language the owner used with her but in the end if Alissa was not happy she could have just passed on it and do another look. Juvia’s place did not seemed… Read more »

Felicity Muffin
Felicity Muffin
Reply to  T. Thomas

That is a good point.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter

She is 100% in the wrong and for her to think that posting those texts would somehow vindicate her is baffling. Many of these YT “stars” are too much.

Felicity Muffin
Felicity Muffin

lol after seeing that comment about how she was willing to buy kylie products to review but demands a free porduct from a black owned company definitely put a salty taste in my mouth. Not cute behavior. at all. SHe needs to have several seats and sip a big cup of humbleness.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter

I was actually coming back here because I was just on her YT account. It seems that things maybe a bit more murky than what I previously thought.

DAD
DAD

Wow what a bitch!

Nae
Nae

Some publicity here.. I have never heard of this brand until now..

TWA4now
TWA4now

If she was promised the make up in advance, she should have received it!

JMitch
JMitch

Very well written! Your opinion is the same as what I was thinking but couldn’t articulate. I’d love to read some of your reviews. Do you mind sharing your website?

Jolie
Jolie

yall have to understand: it’s not just about the freebees. juvia’s place promised to send her the palette weeks before it came out, and alyssa PROMOTED the palette to customers. she ADVERTISED Juvia’s Place, FOR FREE to consumers. so.…. why shouldn’t she get the palette? Consumers look to mua’s reviews to see if they should spend the money. it’s a system here. it’s not about complaining that you didn’t get free stuff. As a small business, if you want to grow, you need to have people on your side. Also, juvia’s place had a bad habit of mixing up promo… Read more »

mesmerizineyez .
mesmerizineyez .
Reply to  Jolie

That is not an excuse for her to blast them all over the internet. All she had to do was send them a I’m sorry but at this time I can no longer support your products or company until I hear from you or I’m sorry it doesn’t seem to be working out for me so at this time I cannot support Juvia, please feel free to contact me in the near future blah blah blah. She just sounded like a entitled spoiled brat. And like people said, if she really wanted to support them why not just buy a… Read more »

Dee Balt
Dee Balt

You can take the girl out the hood but the hood remains in the girl. She has not learned that things don’t always go your way? Why are you so mad that someone decided not to be jerked around by you and play your school yard games? Why are you begging?

RocketSparkle
RocketSparkle

Right? They’ll buy a $60 palette from MAC Cosmetics i.e. a company that only works with makeup gurus with millions of followers… but for a small fledgling black beauty company they won’t pay for it.

mesmerizineyez .
mesmerizineyez .

I didn’t even know who she was or never heard of her before today. This was so over-done over some free makeup. I think I’m on board with some of the girls that said “you bought kylie’s makeup but complained about not getting free makeup from a black company”. Wow and we all know Kylie doesn’t need the money as much as a black company just starting. I would never support her but i will be supporting Juvia

mesmerizineyez .
mesmerizineyez .

That’s all I’m saying. Blasting them all over the net is tacky and petty. She could have simply written them a I’m sorry but at this time I can no longer support your business, maybe in the near future.… But for her to do this is like she was trying to hurt them because she didn’t get what she wanted. If she was serious about supporting them she could have bought a palette like everyone said, she had no problem buying Kylies

mesmerizineyez .
mesmerizineyez .

Well i hope she does, maybe it will humble her next time before she does something so tacky and petty. I would have subscribed and followed her if she had conducted herself more professionally. She could have kept their situation private or sent them and her fans a “at this time i cannot support juvia makeup products because of communication issues. I wish them all the best

Lauren
Lauren

To be honest, if she’s trying to support black owned businesses then that’s exactly what she should do, not expect them to hand out freebies when they are trying to grow their company.

Belle
Belle
Reply to  Lauren

You clearly don’t understand what a contract is . The company owed her the free products and she owed them the tutorial and review because they both entered into a contract and a contract has rights and obligations of both parties. So if Alissa was performing her obligations, juvia’s place must perform theirs too- which they failed to do.

Angelique Nolan
Angelique Nolan

It looks like that company really tried her. They agreed to send her a product, she promoted their company, and then when they got a lot of orders they decided to go back on their agreement and not send her anything because they already had the free publicity.

Pennylane22
Pennylane22

Agree with the posters who called her out on it. That was not cool to try and make them look bad, just b/c she did not get a freebie. Bigger companies can afford to send that out, but a struggling company cannot. In fact, the old saying is true. No Publicity is Bad Publicity. I will most definitely buy a couple for my daughters. Just to support them.

MyFluffyPuffs

This comes off as an entitled rant. Outside of YouTube — who really recognizes her off the street? And it makes me think she would never disrespect a brand like this if the owner wasn’t Black.

Kirene Holloman
Kirene Holloman

Naw, I’m on her side with this one, she has stated that they had a previous discussion months ago about the palette and that should would receive one, to promote and such. Her buying Kylie cosmetics has nothing to do with it, if her viewers asked her to review a product and she wasn’t getting that product from a company to promote she would have to go buy it herself. Where as JC, agreed to send her the palette already months ago, if she takes the time to make YouTube videos and editing them and helping a brand with more… Read more »

AwksomeBlackGirl
AwksomeBlackGirl

I am so disappointed in Alissa. I look to her for my makeup inspiration and how tos. How could she feel so entitled to receive a free makeup pallette from a new business???? Like, how? Did she ever stop to think of the fact that Juvias Place is still growing and may not have “free merch” for influencers? They’re doing great, but that doesn’t mean they can dish out free products like some multimillion dollar companies that have been in the game longer can. I actually heard about JP via Alissa and plan to make a purchase to support a… Read more »

www.makeuptutorialvideos.net
www.makeuptutorialvideos.net

I find this so ridiculous. I hope she doesn’t lose any of her fans because of this mess

Itumeleng
Itumeleng

This is why black businesses sometimes fail. Too many black people want free things and discounts because they think they are doing the black business owners a favor. I doubt she would cop this attitude with a white business. Too faced and such are huge brands, what’s a free palette here and there for them. For Juvia’s Place, a much smaller franchise, we should support them by BUYING their stuff, not asking for freebies and copping an attitude in the process. There is a level of disrespect towards black business owners, a jealousy towards them that they dare to succeed,… Read more »

Sarah Calhoun
Sarah Calhoun

300,000 subscribers is not a lot. Especially not in this day and age when top YouTubers have tens of millions of subscribers. A lot of the YouTubers that are really popular and get free everything are working for 5+ years before they get to that level. She definitely needs to sit down and pay her dues before she event thinks about getting free stuff from every single company. I can think about myself in my profession. Part of my job is reviewing smartphones and other gadgets and a lots of companies send me review models. I have such a rapport… Read more »

Dorothy
Dorothy

I do not agree with the comments about this woman being ‘entitled’. If anyone has paid attention to beauty bloggers or Youtube gurus, they should know that this is how the modern business works. Brands seek out this Youtube personalities and send them free products to review. If a volgger has thousands of views and likes your product you get millions of free views and potential customers for free. The Youtube person is mainly going to be paid via views. so it is a win-win for each party. I have followed some women who ask their viewers what brands or… Read more »

AwksomeBlackGirl
AwksomeBlackGirl

AwksomeBlackGirl
AwksomeBlackGirl

And she has now privatized her video telling her side of the story ?

PinkyPie15
PinkyPie15

1. “As an affiliate of Juvia’s Place, me receiving the new releases is something that has been occurring since I began working with them because thats how this works… ” So has she been getting freebies from Juvia’s in the past? 2. Even if she’s gotten freebies from Juvia’s in the past it wouldn’t hurt to just buy the palette to support the business, especially if she knows they have good products. 3. I don’t wear a lot of make up so I can’t feel her pain over this situation. : Maybe if she provided a screenshot of response from Juvia’s… Read more »

J Johnson
J Johnson

Ummm I’m going to need everyone to stop trying her. People like to be really extra without even knowing the full story and the article itself is one sided. You really think this is about a free palette? Juvia’s Place had promised to send Alissa the palette weeks in advance so she went ahead and promoted it told her snapchat subscribers about it and how excited she was to do a look with it. After the free promos and shout outs that is when the company decided they weren’t going to send her the palette at all because hey since… Read more »

AnonGirl
AnonGirl

Considering her OWN texts to the company contradicts what she later released… Seems like she’s using her position as an influencer to try to extort free product out of the company. Shame on her.

Lola Rose
Lola Rose

Never liked her. How about actually buying their product since you wanna support so bad, you know, like the rest of us?

lecia p
lecia p

Sinice we can’t get all the fine details my comments are going to be based on what I’ve read thus far .it seems that Alyssa was promised the palette but never received it and they stopped communicating with her. as a professional it would seem the most not only professional but mature thing to do is if you contact a company that you don’t have a legal contract with, it would seem that if they stopped communicating with you ‚that is when you walk away, you cut ties with them and any reviews that you have given them you simply… Read more »

Sierra
Sierra

Alissa MAY have a right to feel how she feels but this is not professional. The fact that she posted a text message conversation is vortually parallel to how immature high schoolers would react. Additionally, some commenters seem to have breezed past the part where the company admitted that they are on back order. Therefore, people’s order that have already been PAID for have not been placed. Sorry, but any PAYING customer should come before a shout out or tutorial from a YouTuber. If she was “promised” a free plalette — unless she received a contract, email confirmation, or any written… Read more »

Rachel Remy
Rachel Remy

I’ve followed Alissa Instagram before she started Youtube and she doesn’t take nonsense from anyone. She puts people in their place when they try to come for her, so this isn’t surprising. However, with that being said keep things like this in private! You are trying to build a brand, don’t diminish yourself or other companies due to hurt feelings. This is a business relationship, not a friendhsip. She already said she receives freebies form other companies so obviously one less shouldn’t make a difference. There is no way she is the only vlogger/blogger who has been denied or that… Read more »

Suganya Maheswaran
Suganya Maheswaran

Tbh honest what is worse than her being so entitled is her screen shot-ing the conversation and putting it out on the internet. Please dont be surprised if your actions are then questioned.